• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the oldest game you finished this year?

I haven't played anything to completion that's older than 4-5 years so I'll have to go with Dead Cells. Otherwise I guess it has to be Half Life 2 via The Orange Box.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Went back to play some old NES games via handheld on a bus trip back in August. Stumbled on LegendOfKage LegendOfKage (sorry for the tag but that game can't be mentioned without). Maybe it's just me being old but games like that really don't feel like they've aged that much. Again...probably just words from a dinosaur.

Ozzie666

Recently played through Shining Force 1, 2 and Shining force CD on the Mega SG. I had only ever completed Shining Force 1 back in the day and Shining in the Darkness.
Shining Force 2 was a fantastic game.

In May, I beat the original Legend of Zelda for the first time. Despite loving every other game in the series, the original 2 NES never clicked for me when I was a kid. Still didn't really do anything for me, but I'm glad I beat it.

Ico, Silent Hill 2, or ZOE but these were all PS3 remasters. Currently working through Turok 2, great game BTW, lots of fun. If I finish it by Sunday then that's the oldest.

I should go play NES Marble Madness for 6 minutes and say that.

Maybe I'll finish the S World stages of Mario 3D Land before the bell tolls.

coffinbirth

TMNT Arcade
TMNT Turtles in Time
Darius GX
Akai Katana: Slash
Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Rez
Those are the oldest ones I finished this year, but I played a TON of golden oldies on Steam Deck. In the middle of Metroid Prime Remastered on Switch now.

Went back to play some old NES games via handheld on a bus trip back in August. Stumbled on LegendOfKage LegendOfKage (sorry for the tag but that game can't be mentioned without). Maybe it's just me being old but games like that really don't feel like they've aged that much. Again...probably just words from a dinosaur.
I think part of it is retro gaming and part of it is pixel art. It feels like N64 and PS1 games have aged the worst for me. Play Legend Of Kage, and then play Ninja Gaiden on NES, and then play The Messenger. Retro games are keeping classic game design alive. They might add more modern elements, such as an XP system and a perk system, but the gameplay itself is preserved for fans of classic games and retro gamers alike.

Emedan

I played and beat Majora's Mask for the first time this year. What a beautifully designed video game.

Majora's is one of those games that I always kept on the back of my mind and thought I had to play some day. The thing is that the time mechanic always put me off a little bit initially, as I prefer playing slowly and explore everything. After beating it, I can say that I wish I had tried it sooner.

The time mechanic is actually great and essencial to what makes this game so special. Following the NPCs schedule and finding out how they connect with each other is really different from what I'm used to playing. Anju and Kafei's questline deserve a mention of course... I'm inclined to say it's the best piece of storytelling from Nintendo I've ever played. Really simple but so impactful.
I only ever played the game at a friends house back in the day so I'm also replying that one right now.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think part of it is retro gaming and part of it is pixel art. It feels like N64 and PS1 games have aged the worst for me. Play Legend Of Kage, and then play Ninja Gaiden on NES, and then play The Messenger. Retro games are keeping classic game design alive. They might add more modern elements, such as an XP system and a perk system, but the gameplay itself is preserved for fans of classic games and retro gamers alike.
5th-gen games have aged poorly and it's ironic considering that was the gen where graphics were all the rave. Not saying I didn't enjoy it but you are correct. 8-bit and 16-bit side-scrollers seem to have aged just right and have not lost relevancy. That's why we still see devs attempting to push out 2D games but not quite the same. Ninja Gaiden on NES was great but I've never finished it. Those controls were something else but I guess that was part of the challenge.

Top Bottom