• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Duchess

Played Killzone : Shadow Fall, although I quit the game at the end of Chapter 7 when I hit the Last Stand mission. Oof. I'm not entirely sure how that passed QA. Looking at forums, YouTube, etc. I can see that plenty of people also hated that mission and threw in the towel. That aside, overall I only thought the game was OK, which was a shame.

Going to try Wolfenstein : The New Order.

Yep, I bought a PS5 to play really old games! LOL! :)

GametimeUK

I'm slogging through Resistance Fall of Man at the moment. I'm on a bit of a quest to finish games I've been putting off for over a decade haha. I'd always start the game, but give up part way in. I have about 3 missions left.

The game hasn't aged too well and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty (unless a harder difficulty unlocks after beating the game). Some parts are super tedious on this difficulty and I may have been better playing on normal.

Other than that the weapons and universe are nice, but I wouldn't recommend the game. I find it hard to see why I sang this game so many praises back in the day, but it probably boils down to fanboyism.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm slogging through Resistance Fall of Man at the moment. I'm on a bit of a quest to finish games I've been putting off for over a decade haha. I'd always start the game, but give up part way in. I have about 3 missions left.

The game hasn't aged too well and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty (unless a harder difficulty unlocks after beating the game). Some parts are super tedious on this difficulty and I may have been better playing on normal.

Other than that the weapons and universe are nice, but I wouldn't recommend the game. I find it hard to see why I sang this game so many praises back in the day, but it probably boils down to fanboyism.

Was very generic even back then. Slightly better than average maybe. I remember liking Killzone 2 but I wonder how well that holds up without the (at the time) eye popping graphics to prop it up. Resistance probably disproportionately benefitted from the graphical leap to ps3 because it was a launch game.

Phase

Almost done Narita Boy. Really liking it so far. Also, I started a playthrough of the first Call of Duty. Having fun playing through this again.

Artistic

It's a very underrated game in my opinion. One of my favorites from the PS3 era.

Oninaki (Switch)

15 hours in. Near the end, love the story and world. I wish this game was longer

Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Switch)

12 hours in and really enjoying it so far. The battle system is great. I'm really liking the characters so far. Got to the second town.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Currently obtaining rings I've missed after first trying Demon Prince yesterday. And there are a ton I missed and/or cannot obtain anymore this playthrough.
(Dark Souls III) Besides that I'm (momentarily) *stuck* halfway through desert temple in Skyward Sword.

stn

I'm still on Trials of Mana (Switch), making my way through it slowly. I've also been playing a ton of chess, have put in effort over the last few years to become a decent player.

Cryio

Finished Dead Space 1 again after 13 years. A glorious experience in 4K120, with mouse fix and ReShade AO on PC.

Started Dead Space 2. Due to ... cluttered designed, ReShade AO isn't as good of a fit. Just have to do with 4K120 in Vulkan instead of DX9 for amazing frame pacing.

reektann

Finished Dead Space 1 again after 13 years. A glorious experience in 4K120, with mouse fix and ReShade AO on PC.

Started Dead Space 2. Due to ... cluttered designed, ReShade AO isn't as good of a fit. Just have to do with 4K120 in Vulkan instead of DX9 for amazing frame pacing.
Could you link to the reshade etc you used ? Planning on replaying ds1 very soon!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh boy ... The Ringed City is something else isn't it? As beautiful as it is deadly..

Time for a relaxing Skyward Sword session...

Javthusiast

Banned
In the final stretch of A Plague Tale and chillin with Flight Simulator.

Asobo got me.

Walter White I Give Up GIF by Breaking Bad

Davey Cakes

Rogue Legacy 2 is my addiction. I'm trying to play a variety of games right now when I boot up RL2 I usually end up playing it for most of the night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Lux R7

so in lttp style i'm playing Darkest Dungeon for the first time
you have to be in peace with the universe when you play this game but i'm enjoying it so far

Javthusiast

Banned
Nice. Looking forward to playing it eventually. You're using controller? Is it intuitive etc?

So far I played it with xbox controller yes, but with majority of assists turned on, so it isn't that hard to take off maintain altitudes etc. Landing still is tricky, where I often come to fast down lol.

Will try to turn assists off next time I play it and do the tutorials to see how manageable it is on Xbox.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So far I played it with xbox controller yes, but with majority of assists turned on, so it isn't that hard to take off maintain altitudes etc. Landing still is tricky, where I often come to fast down lol.

Will try to turn assists off next time I play it and do the tutorials to see how manageable it is on Xbox.

Thanks for your reply you Japanese lady lover you..

Yeah I don't have a clue as to what the assist do. If it's anything like, say ABS and throttle control off in racing games then it's sure something to spend time learning and be more in control in the end...

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

Just started Windlands 2. The tutorial level alone was one of the greatest experiences I've had. You leap across two skyscrapers - much like the scene from the Matrix where Neo learns about the real world.

It is a trip! You have to prepare yourself to not flail around while 'in the air'. It was so much fun I just jumped back and fourth around 10 times. :)

Got to the boss fight at the end of the first level and that's where the shine really fell off. The controls make you hold your index finger out while gripping with your other fingers to pull and release an arrow, which feels unnatural and is basically unplayable. I'm going to try messing with the control settings and hopefully figure something else out.

Mr Hyde

Finished A Plague Tale. A pretty cool game with an interesting story and setting, taking place in medieval times during the black plague. Great graphics which are accentuated by some stellar art direction and beautiful world building.
Unfortunately it drags down a bit with clunky gameplay, frustrating trial and error sections and one hit kills. But for what it is, it's s pretty damn good game, delivering loads of atmosphere and top notch story telling, although some parts were hampered by inconsistency and plot holes. All in all, I liked it very much and I recommend it to anyone who likes cinematic games.

reektann

It’s been a couple months since I first played through Paper Mario so today I started Paper Mario: The Thousand year door on Gamecube.

Im planning also on rewatching all the Alien films to get in the mood then finally starting Alien Isolation on PC.

Duchess

Just started playing FF7 Remake on PS5 last night. I held off playing this on PS4 (as with some other games, such as Control), as I wanted to experience the full fat PS5 version.

1. Holy shit!
2. Wow, this game is so smooth, looks so amazing, plays so well, and feels like a true remake. The character models and lighting are amazing!
3. Holy shit!

Finished the first chapter last night and don't remember seeing a loading screen.

I'm playing on Normal (Classic) difficulty, as I don't want the game to feel like a button masher and enjoy the idea of needing to issue commands to the characters during battle.

Naked Lunch

Flight Simulator (Series X) - picking random places around the earth to explore, 30 to 45 minute flights. Then Ill go on google the following day and research some of the more interesting stuff I saw. I flew from Tokyo to mountains near Fukushima.
Then a trip over the Florida Everglades. There was this solo Ranger station out in the middle of nowhere with an old rundown airstrip. When I researched it, turns out this is a random gator information center on one of the few roads that travels thru the everglades. This is just one story of many.

Finding and learning about (and frankly just seeing) stuff like this thru a videogame is just incredible and fascinating - places ill never go and see in my lifetime.

Halo Infinite flight (Series X) - Will need some PvP rounds to make my final assessment - but this is 343's best attempt at Halo's gameplay so far.

Chrono Trigger (SNES) -first time playing since the 90s. An all-time great comfort food videogame.

Last edited:
Just started playing FF7 Remake on PS5 last night. I held off playing this on PS4 (as with some other games, such as Control), as I wanted to experience the full fat PS5 version.

1. Holy shit!
2. Wow, this game is so smooth, looks so amazing, plays so well, and feels like a true remake. The character models and lighting are amazing!
3. Holy shit!

Finished the first chapter last night and don't remember seeing a loading screen.

I'm playing on Normal (Classic) difficulty, as I don't want the game to feel like a button masher and enjoy the idea of needing to issue commands to the characters during battle.

It's fantastic. Only brought down by some padding with unnecessary side quests and stuff like that. I wish developers were less concerned with playtime and more concerned with pacing and player completion rate.

But, that's an issue for almost all modern games. FF7R is a great game. Even though I maintain it's not a remake, but a sequel that just happens to take place during the period of time the Midgar section of FF7 took place.

RAIDEN1

Yakuza Kiwami 2 after playing through a fair amount (but not completing) Yakukza Kiwami part 1 I found that game to be the least liked games out of the ones I have played so far....once that is cleared onto Spiderman Miles Morales and Mass Effect 2 !

jigglet

Banned
Sotc remaster:
Looks amazing not just because of the graphical upgrade but also how smooth it feels at 60fps. It has been nice revisiting the game since I haven't player through it entirely since the PS2 era.
It's not quite as good as the first time though since since a big part of the fun the first time was figuring out how to beat each Colossus and so far I've remember all of them.

FUCK I forgot to play this before I sold my PS4. I will eventually get a PS5 though so I guess I'll play it on that.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I tried a private Wow server, but it turned out to be pretty bad. So nothing.

Guess my Wow days are officially behind me since Blizzard turned into an virtue signalling, twitter crazy employing abomination.

Started Dirt Rally 2.0 GOTY edition. Over 100gb download on Steam! I'm not into simulation that much but like rally games. So far played about five hours on the good ol' X360 controller it's been quite fun, but very very challenging. Graphics are nice and clean. Some super twilight lighting. Handling feels great. I've only raced the mini and even that feels too fast. Dreading moving on the faster cars.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I tried the Neo: The World End's With You demo last night. I hadn't played the original title, but heard good things.

Didn't last too long. Game dumps way too much exposition garbage at you. The combat is simply not fun, and the whole running around the sections of the city is awful.

The whole thing felt like it was developed 15 years ago.

lachesis

Yakuza 3 - just started chapter 7.

For some reason, the game bugged out (XSX/Gamepass) - I couldn't save, nor load latest manual save that I've made in quick resume.
I restarted the machine and somehow it reverted to older save, that I lost about 4-5 hours of playing time and was back in Okinawa.

Right now - I feel like the game moves too slow. Partly because you can't really dash to get to A-B, but also because the amount of backtracking you have to do - as well as it only has only a few save spots. I'm one of those types who saves often. I guess Zero/Kiwami 1&2 has spoiled me somewhat.... and considering this is the "oldest" game out of whole series (as Kiwami series are remakes), I find it's showing its age.

Other than that - I've been flying around occasionally with Flight Simulator.

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Started Dirt Rally 2.0 GOTY edition. Over 100gb download on Steam! I'm not into simulation that much but like rally games. So far played about five hours on the good ol' X360 controller it's been quite fun, but very very challenging. Graphics are nice and clean. Some super twilight lighting. Handling feels great. I've only raced the mini and even that feels too fast. Dreading moving on the faster cars.

I haven't played in a good while but your post sums up almost exactly my intial experience.. Enjoy.

Also this blew my mind:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Jeez. The skill on display is unreal. This kind of driving is literally impossible on a controller I assume?
30oL0L8.jpg

Awesome stuff right 😁

I'm sure you can get close but from what I hear a wheel gives more consistency due to all it's perks. Also, course knowledge play a huge role I reckon. Racing on these surfaces with that those speeds it's all about anticipating and getting those inputs in long before the corner is on the screen lol =P

Last edited:

drganon

Gave up on scarlet nexus. I raged quit near the end with this really stupid boss battle. Even ignoring that last part, the game was pretty mediocre at best.

At this point my backlog is just insane.
On PC I'm playing Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn. Then there's Spiderman Remastered (+ Miles Morales), Uncharted Lost Legacy and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on PS5. Next up is a bunch of games on Series S via Game Pass (for example The Ascent and Recore) with Forza Horizon 4 in between.

Oh, and Fire Emblem Three Houses on Switch. I love this game already.

Top Bottom