• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

kikii

Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.. I gave it a shot after it was on sale for I think 20 bucks with 4 expansions. I really dig it. I wish they didn't throw copious amounts of xp at you though. Every time I want to do a dungeon, I'm over leveled then have to remember how to play minus my recent skills.
WYnXwSF.png

Mr Hyde

Playing the Witcher 3 now on the Switch and I gotta say, I'm pretty fucking impressed with it. It looks really good and plays really well. Sure it is downgraded but even so, cramming in an epic adventure like this on a portable? One that looks this good and have all content intact? Amazing achievement. However I would not wanna play this in docked mode. The game shines in handheld gaming and I feel it was intended for the small screen, hiding a lot of the downgrades. I really hope CD Projekt Red and Saber implements some kind of cross progression with the next gen upgrade on PS5, that would be so cool switching from portable to high end graphics.

almost done with ratchet and clank rift apart. going to be either hitman III or resident evil village next. probably alternate between the two.

Psychostar

Playing skyward sword on switch for the first time. I personally am really enjoying it and haven't been glued to a game in a while. I always liked the Zelda games that had you running around towns and dungeons and after this I'm really hoping to get a twilight Princess remaster so that I can make up for missing out on it too. Never had any interest in the Wii and Wii u, so I spend my time gaming on pc and PlayStation during that time.

Playing skyward sword on switch for the first time. I personally am really enjoying it and haven't been glued to a game in a while. I always liked the Zelda games that had you running around towns and dungeons and after this I'm really hoping to get a twilight Princess remaster so that I can make up for missing out on it too. Never had any interest in the Wii and Wii u, so I spend my time gaming on pc and PlayStation during that time.

Never had the Wii but I fucking loved the Wii U, Wind Waker is still probably my favorite Zelda game. I've been playing Skyward Sword for the first time too and really love it so far. If Nintendo ported Twilight Princess and Wind Waker to Switch I'd absolutely buy them.

reektann

Are you using motion controls or standard buttons/stick ? Curious.

Vagswarm

I was pretty sure Cyberpunk 2077 was going to end after the missions started winding down, and it just seemed logical based on the goals, but a whole new act just opened up. lol So much for that.

Still enjoying it a lot and Keanu is such a great character in this. I picked up the Type-66 Javelina for $73k, which is the best thing ever. Controls beautifully, looks awesome, feels like a car from Death Race with more futuristic design. Doing a quick U-turn at high speeds with the fast break is the best.

*Screenshot taken from elsewhere
eqFVfHm.jpg

Thavash

Dragon Age 2 , on Xbox One X (game pass).
Didnt seem to review highly but im enjoying it alot. Its an old style RPG with some funny dialog.

In between PES 21 and Forza Horizon 4

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm playing NieR Automata for the first time. The world is very interesting and it's got some touching moments, cool combat, surprising mechanics and an incredible soundtrack. Unfortunately I'm also seeing some flaws and the graphics (not counting the art style which is cool) are the biggest offender. The game looks like it's from 2 generations ago (I'm playing this on the PS5) with horrible lq textures and not very detailed environments.

John Bilbo

I'm playing Darksiders 3. I have found it better than expected. The camera has it's issues and it took a while for the combat to pick up on variety, but the art style is good and the game runs quite well. I am having a decent time hacking and slashing through it.

When comparing this to the first one, I think this is better.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Mortal Shell ps5

Im trying really hard to like this game, but it feels soulless, slow, cheap and with very few enemy variations

Like a really bland and slow dark souls 2 , trowing groups of enemys and booby traps at you to compensate for bad level, enemy design and Ai ...

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Reached Velen now in Witcher 3. Surprised by how good it is on the Switch. It plays so well and looks really good. I have a hard time putting it down and very much enjoying it so far. I remember it being a bit clunky on PS4 with bad controls but on Switch it feels more responsive. Pretty smooth load times too, was expecting long ass wait times between fast travels but it works like a charm. It feels good to be back in this world. It really is one of the best games of last gen. Crazy to think I have it portable now.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Skyward Sword (<3) and Dark Souls III, currently at the Sister Friede boss fight, after that I only have the other DLC and the Final boss left!

Last edited:

Labolas

Streets of Rage 4 DLC. Made the game even more amazing. I don't think could get a better sequel to an old series like SOR. Props to the dev team.

Vagswarm

Dragon Age 2 , on Xbox One X (game pass).
Didnt seem to review highly but im enjoying it alot. Its an old style RPG with some funny dialog.
I didn't think it was that bad either. The characters were fun and the combat was frentic. Being a thief / rogue or whatever was great. Been so long that I don't remember most of it. The entire series is on the to be replayed list.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Don't give up, skeleton!

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Dwight <3

Not sure about the skeleton reference

Got Bitch Sister down to half her health in her third phase a couple times but she's still overwhelming me with neverending combos and that troatslith move.. Need more time to see/learn her patterns in that final phase.

She does that one move where she vanishes and reappears with some sort of critical move and I can't yet figure out when to evade.. I'm looking for signs as a reference point but maybe there are none..

Been Playing

Monster Hunter Stories 2 (Switch)

Been really enjoying this. Love the artstyle and gameplay. I've been exploring the world and doing all the sidequests. Kayna is a total babe

Oninaki (Switch)

Loving the world and story. Graphically looks amazing. The gameplay is fun and fast. I like that each deamon you get has it's own skill tree. The story is surprisingly dark.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I just started playing Arkham Asylum for the first time.
I've always been intrigued by this game and series, but from what I've seen then it seemed like a 3D metroidvania, which I find terrifying.

I can take 2D metroidvanias, and as a matter of fact I played Arkham Blackgate on the Vita and I loved it. I can also take games like classic RE and MG(S) where the maps are small and do not take much time or effort to investigate and find the way/objective.
But a big-ass third person view with a long-ass Y-axis??

Anyway, I've decided to finally take the plunge 12 years later because Kuranghi Kuranghi has promised me that the sweet Batmobile down the line in Arkham Knight is totally worth it. 😂

TL;DR: Arkham Asylum is absolutely amazing, but it's giving me massive headaches.

I'll start with the good things, and I'm about to sing their praise like a canary:
- I LOVE the presentation in this game. It actually feels like a comic book.
- The sound design is insane. The punches, the gliding, the boomerang.. Everything sounds amazing.
- The graphics are beautiful. I expected something simple since this is the first game, but to me it looks much better than most PS360 games from its time. The low brightness probably helped.
- The combat is basically automatic, you're just pressing buttons and watching a series of animations, but it feels SO SATISFYING.
- I love the characters. My Batman knowledge is limited to a few episodes of the 90s cartoon and some PS1 games I barely remember, but I really love these characters' look and personality. I feel like they nailed them.

Now for my main problem with the game: My fear was rightly placed. This is a 3D metroidvania, and I don't know if I can take it.
I enjoyed the first 30 minutes, which might have been one of the best intros to a game I've ever experienced, but then the game started to open up and the headaches started to come.

The first objective where you have to find the traces of that guy's drink took me too long. I was running all over the place back and forth, and the map didn't help cause I'm an idiot.
Not only you need to investigate what's in front of you, you also have to look up and down. That's a tall order for me. By the time I was done with that objective, I was too tired for the next segment.

I'm really trying to enjoy this magnificent game, but I wish there was a way to skip the investigation/problem-solving part.
I play games to unwind after hard days, don't want the games to be part of the workload too. 😂

At any rate, I'll leave it for a few days and then come back to it. Hopefully I'll have a clearer mind then.
But if I still find it demanding, then I'll just shelve it and jump to Arkham Knight later. The Batmobile is calling. lmao
I just wanna drive around Arkham and beat up people, but I really hope that I'll find Knight generally more straightforward than Asylum.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Skyward Sword HD and Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. I'm about 20 hours into SS and I gotta say I absolutely love the dungeon designs, very creative.
Sandship
is probably my favorite so far.

Hyrule Warriors is the perfect chill out game after a session of proper Zelda, because it's so mindless.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Sister Friede boss fight"

hardest fight in the game

Well it's my second choke point after Nameless King so yeah I was wandering what the consensus was... Although with Friede it's more about having to go through all those phases again.. I'll lose patience and start rushing which ofcourse doesn't work.. Lol.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I just started playing Arkham Asylum for the first time.
I've always been intrigued by this game and series, but from what I've seen then it seemed like a 3D metroidvania, which I find terrifying.

I can take 2D metroidvanias, and as a matter of fact I played Arkham Blackgate on the Vita and I loved it. I can also take games like classic RE and MG(S) where the maps are small and do not take much time or effort to investigate and find the way/objective.
But a big-ass third person view with a long-ass Y-axis??

Anyway, I've decided to finally take the plunge 12 years later because Kuranghi Kuranghi has promised me that the sweet Batmobile down the line in Arkham Knight is totally worth it. 😂

TL;DR: Arkham Asylum is absolutely amazing, but it's giving me massive headaches.

I'll start with the good things, and I'm about to sing their praise like a canary:
- I LOVE the presentation in this game. It actually feels like a comic book.
- The sound design is insane. The punches, the gliding, the boomerang.. Everything sounds amazing.
- The graphics are beautiful. I expected something simple since this is the first game, but to me it looks much better than most PS360 games from its time. The low brightness probably helped.
- The combat is basically automatic, you're just pressing buttons and watching a series of animations, but it feels SO SATISFYING.
- I love the characters. My Batman knowledge is limited to a few episodes of the 90s cartoon and some PS1 games I barely remember, but I really love these characters' look and personality. I feel like they nailed them.

Now for my main problem with the game: My fear was rightly placed. This is a 3D metroidvania, and I don't know if I can take it.
I enjoyed the first 30 minutes, which might have been one of the best intros to a game I've ever experienced, but then the game started to open up and the headaches started to come.

The first objective where you have to find the traces of that guy's drink took me too long. I was running all over the place back and forth, and the map didn't help cause I'm an idiot.
Not only you need to investigate what's in front of you, you also have to look up and down. That's a tall order for me. By the time I was done with that objective, I was too tired for the next segment.

I'm really trying to enjoy this magnificent game, but I wish there was a way to skip the investigation/problem-solving part.
I play games to unwind after hard days, don't want the games to be part of the workload too. 😂

At any rate, I'll leave it for a few days and then come back to it. Hopefully I'll have a clearer mind then.
But if I still find it demanding, then I'll just shelve it and jump to Arkham Knight later. The Batmobile is calling. lmao
I just wanna drive around Arkham and beat up people, but I really hope that I'll find Knight generally more straightforward than Asylum.

No pressure on me for this recommendation of a highly divisive addition to the game :messenger_grimmacing_ haha

You can use this if you just want to skip the detectivey bits if its stressing you out:

Its a pretty succint walkthrough. Or just PM and I'll tell you what to do lol.

If you enjoy the combat in AA then it only gets better in City and Knight, you get many more options, you can still just beat them up in a "simple way" but it just adds a few new things that give it more variety. Arkham Knight makes the combat look even sweeter as well, its super fluid.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm also happy to report to having a real Zelda moment where I'm completely stumped as to what to do lol! It'll be a great *aha* moment for sure... <3

Well I didn't see ANY option so I gave in and checked a guide. Looks as I wasn't *really* at fault seeing as the issue regarded interpreting a map marker a certain way... At least my Aha moment still manifested albeit in a different form lol.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"Sister Friede boss fight"

hardest fight in the game

Beat her. Second try (today) I did summon Gael though this time. Very easy with him distracting her. Don't feel to bad about it (ok maybe a little bit) seeing as it's my first summon. Oh well, onwards....

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
No pressure on me for this recommendation of a highly divisive addition to the game :messenger_grimmacing_ haha

You can use this if you just want to skip the detectivey bits if its stressing you out:

Its a pretty succint walkthrough. Or just PM and I'll tell you what to do lol.

If you enjoy the combat in AA then it only gets better in City and Knight, you get many more options, you can still just beat them up in a "simple way" but it just adds a few new things that give it more variety. Arkham Knight makes the combat look even sweeter as well, its super fluid.

That walkthrough looks neat and detailed enough. Thank you!
I think I'll go back to it in the weekend. This game certainly needs more than one hour of playing at a time.

You mean the puzzle? I used YouTube 🤣 I don't have time for that like that, this was stupid as fuck... But I have "peasant" version
the rats? nah...well yeah that part sucked lol. maybe it's just me but the boss fight pissed me off. i'm thinking of both versions of the game here. in Persona 5 the rat puzzle was annoying but the boss fight was nothing special. kicked his ass no problem. in Persona 5 Royal they've made the rat section easier but it took me a few trys to kick Shido's ass.

the reason i mentioned Okumara (space port palace) is cause, again, in Persona 5 it was an easy fight but in P5R the game forces to you play a specific way and i was ready to quit the game out of frustration. once i had gave in and decided to play the way the game forced me then i managed to beat him.

if you're enjoying Persona 5 then i highly recommend you give Royal a shot at some point. despite some bosses being more challenging the game is overall much easier. there is less grinding for points and levelling up confidants. getting to spend more time with your favourite characters takes the game to a whole other level without having to replay it multiple times! mementos is more fun (and rewarding) to explore. one character's story gets a complete overhaul and of course there are new characters and content. you can be locked out the new content so if you do play it make sure you know the requirements to see it. i don't want to spoil it too much but your party gets cut down to 3 members for a while but holy shit it was so much fun. makes me really hope they shake things up a bit for Persona 6.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
i've started playing the binding of isaac for the first time a few week ago and try to do a few runs of it each night, really enjoying it so far.
i'm replaying watch dogs 2 for the third time and really enjoying that too.
my trash podcast game has been warframe for the past 2-3 years and i still manage to have fun with it somehow after 1400+ hours.

Shmunter

Been playing FF7 Remake on PS5 last few weeks. Delightful game, but a bit long. Nearly done and looking forward to starting something fresh. Just what is the Q.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just finished Death's Door. 8.5/10. Recommended for those who liked both Hollow Knight and Ori.

Other games that I am playing right now: Judgment, Rocket League, and Immortal Fenyx Rising. Thinking of also restarting Ori and the Will of the Wisps again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom