• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I started The House in Fata Morgana on Switch. I have a handful of visual novels, but I wouldn’t say I play the genre a lot. I wanted to know why it was ranked #46 on Hardcore Gaming 101’s greatest list of games. #46 is pretty high for a visual novel. I just started it and it has kept me interested so far. It’s actually better once you sorta digest the plot. I also thought the M rating made it a lot more appealing to check out. Otherwise I’ve been playing a lot of Guilty Gear Strive. I finished Dawn of Sorrow on NDS and I’m replaying Portrait of Ruin as well.

Phase

H2x1_NSwitchDS_NaritaBoy_image1600w.jpg

Someone posted a vid of it earlier today and it was on sale. Absolutely phenomenal art style and soundtrack, and gameplay's not bad. For the first time in a while I lost myself in a new game. Played almost 3 hrs in one sitting and I usually only game for about 45mins at a time.

Last edited:

Shmunter

H2x1_NSwitchDS_NaritaBoy_image1600w.jpg

Someone posted a vid of it earlier today and it was on sale. Absolutely phenomenal art style and soundtrack, and gameplay's not bad. For the first time in a while I lost myself in a new game. Played almost 3 hrs in one sitting and I usually only game for about 45mins at a time.
Looks compelling!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I played and finished Statik on PSVR last night. The game is only about 4 hours long, but it's done extremely well. Easily among my favorite puzzles games now.

If anyone has PSVR and likes puzzle games, they should check it out.

SSfox

- CAPITALLAY (only true cowboys/girls will understand)

- I was also fully on SOR4 DLC, but last time i played i got disconnected at level 29 survivor. Gonna go back to it later but right now ... i mean you know what i mean.

- Play some fighting games sometimes, mostly T7, SFV, and also some GG (not much VF5, netcode stinks way too much)

- Thinking about starting Genshin Impact.

gamer82

Well having been in a rough patch with gaming lately I finally finished my first play of resident evil village. Now to decide star wars Jedi or metro exodus.

Last edited:
I'm playing Final Fantasy X for the first time. I've finished FFXV recently so I decided to give it a try since it's on Gamepass. I already have 30h of gameplay. It's really a good game. I'm enjoying it so far. By the way, Rikku is the best girl.

Just finished ME1 last night on the Legendary edition trilogy, and been playing ME2 for the last few hours. The jump to ME2 from 1 is such a big, big difference. All the jank of the first entry is gone and while it doesn't feel completely modern, it still feels a lot better to play than the first. I've beaten the trilogy years ago so it's nice to revisit. Looking forward to the third entry and then I'll probably get back on Nier Replicant and finish that off.

What's after that? Probably something from my ever increasing backlog.

Last edited:

ssringo

p41v4jV.jpg

Never finished the Steam version so I've been working on that. Nothing else recent interests me.
Well, Lost Sanctum sucked all the fun out of this one. Back and forth, unavoidable encounters with easy but annoyingly time consuming fights. First time I ever starting running from fights in CT. Otherwise still as amazing as I remember.

Moving on. Decided to give this somewhat well received game another shot.

O5JOEp3.jpg

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread 3d Zelda games aren't fun and are inferior to the 2d versions. Maybe I've just not been in the right state of mind for this one. Third times the charm!

kunonabi

Getting close to finishing Sekiro. Starting to wear on me a bit since I don't care for the side quest design so it's sitting firmly in good not great territory right now.

Last edited:
Finished Monster Hunter Stories 2. Started Chicory.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

After finishing ender lilies and death door i was in for some metroidvania goodness so i started ori 2, what a great game, and it was only 15 euros on M store.

Incredibly strange but i'm even enjoying the platform sections, and they improved the combat soo much it's not even fair.

Probably the best 2d looking game of all time and one of few examples of good hdr usage.

Nico_D

Pretty close to the finish in Monster Hunter Stories 2. It has started to get pretty challenging during the last few hours. Some smaller bosses are kicking my ass for the first couple of tries. Like it, it felt a bit too easy for the 2/3 of the game.

Next, The Great Ace Attorney. Also Nocturne seems to be on sale on eshop for 34 €. I have 18 € of saved gold coins. Good price.

just wrapped a replay of onimusha on switch

started up God of war and everybodys golf on ps4.

a bit absurd that ive played like 5 hours and still only have access to one course....

god of war is beautiful, but i havent gotten too engrossed yet. still early on fighting some some viking human character guy thing...i dunno

reektann

Finished Deaths Door on Xbox. What an excellent game.

I couldn’t stop continuing after the first ending as there was more to find so I ended up getting the “true ending” and seeing a nice 100% on the save.

nerdface

Banned
Decided to rock out some quake for the last few days, and am yet again blown away by the level design.

I have to remember my favorite way to navigate these levels whenever I get the itch, and it’s a blast every time.

The Necropolis is so good. On hard difficulty, you can spar off with a couple shamblers or just ‘backtrack’ in the right way to pick and choose your battles like a little rubix cube. These levels maximize every polygon, and space between.

The planes in the level line me up to solve shooting problems in fast ways. The game plays with non-analog aiming controls every bit as well as re4. Playing with the keyboard is not only 100% possible, but fun as shit.

Ive been playing mostly on my gamepad though, hooked up through the 4K screen. Software rendering looks great. Slightly shimmery, and a buffer refresh line sometimes, because everything these days is 60hz instead of 70.

Still, software rendered quake looks great. The textures look good in the target resolution, and everything has a grainy, dark ambiance. Much better than high gamma, Vaseline glquake. Same gameplay I suppose.

I kinda wish developers had limitations like these again. This kind of deliberate design at every corner is from an era long gone. 😢

GametimeUK

Just beat Rift Apart. Really enjoyed the game. I was absolutely lost in the world and loved every minute of it. Now I have post game blues and don't know what to play. I'm on in-between games at the moment. I'm thinking about what to play next whilst free skating on Skate 3 or having a game of Peggle 2.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Still on my Baldur's Gate enhanced edition + DLC pkaythrough on PC, but for PS5 I decided to revisit Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

I originally tried it around release on my old PS4 Pro. I lost interest in it quickly. It seemed dreary visually and too many mechanics from the previous two installments seemed shoehorned in - at least that's the way it felt to me. But over the past several months I kept seeing people mentioning how good it is, or being told that directly from friends, so I thought maybe I didn't give it a fair shake and would retry it now that I have a PS5.

Well, it does certainly get better, enough so that I can easily see myself finishing the story. Once it opens up in England and one earns enough skill points to make a build with an actual focus it feels good. Lots to do.Lots of quirky NPC's to meet around the British isles. I still think it's a tad bloated and is the only game with a PS5 version I have come across that still has considerable load times (seriously, 13 - 15 seconds sometimes just to fast travel within the same zone? Are you for real Ubisoft?). But it's good. Looks and sounds pretty in performance mode w/ HDR tuned for ones television and soundbar, that's for sure.

R6Rider

Gold Member
If you have a PS5 check out Infamous SS.

It got a 4K 60fps HDR update and it's gorgeous. Fun too and it's what I'm currently playing.

I still need to play this and will definitely be playing with HDR on.

Finished Deaths Door on Xbox. What an excellent game.

I couldn’t stop continuing after the first ending as there was more to find so I ended up getting the “true ending” and seeing a nice 100% on the save.
The art style of this game is really good. It's on my "buy later" list.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Just finished ME1 last night on the Legendary edition trilogy, and been playing ME2 for the last few hours. The jump to ME2 from 1 is such a big, big difference. All the jank of the first entry is gone and while it doesn't feel completely modern, it still feels a lot better to play than the first. I've beaten the trilogy years ago so it's nice to revisit. Looking forward to the third entry and then I'll probably get back on Nier Replicant and finish that off.

What's after that? Probably something from my ever increasing backlog.
I originally only ever played ME3 on my PS3 back in the day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never touched the first two and I now have the Legendary Edition playing on my PS5 and I've recently started ME1.. I'm about 3 or 4 hours in and not enjoying the aged combat and RPG mechanics and controls and even using the menus feels so janky. I'm having a hard time playing through it, I'm thinking to either skip it or just do what I have to do to get through it. If it wasn't for the characters and story I would be playing ME2 already I think.

reektann

Just beat Rift Apart. Really enjoyed the game. I was absolutely lost in the world and loved every minute of it. Now I have post game blues and don't know what to play. I'm on in-between games at the moment. I'm thinking about what to play next whilst free skating on Skate 3 or having a game of Peggle 2.
Another post game blues sufferer. Phase 2 is playing about 5 different games and not really fancying any of them.

GymWolf

Pretty close to the finish in Monster Hunter Stories 2. It has started to get pretty challenging during the last few hours. Some smaller bosses are kicking my ass for the first couple of tries. Like it, it felt a bit too easy for the 2/3 of the game.

Next, The Great Ace Attorney. Also Nocturne seems to be on sale on eshop for 34 €. I have 18 € of saved gold coins. Good price.
I tried the demo and it was stupidly easy, is it like that for the majority of the game?!

Nico_D

I tried the demo and it was stupidly easy, is it like that for the majority of the game?!

No, it's not. It was pretty easy up until the half point and it started to feel repetitive - and just then it got noticeably harder. Happened around the 4th location. Since then it has required a lot more of monster/equipment optimization.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I still need to play this and will definitely be playing with HDR on.

The art style of this game is really good. It's on my "buy later" list.

this was one of the first hdr games I played. it’s a kind of weird implementation that exaggerates contrast e.g. dark areas are extremely dark.

After finishing ender lilies and death door i was in for some metroidvania goodness so i started ori 2, what a great game, and it was only 15 euros on M store.

Incredibly strange but i'm even enjoying the platform sections, and they improved the combat soo much it's not even fair.

Probably the best 2d looking game of all time and one of few examples of good hdr usage.

Ori 2 is so much better than the first. I recently replayed both back to back. My feeling were originally mixed on Will of the Wisps because it ran absolutely horribly on my launch Xbox One. But, playing it on Series X, confirmed it as one of the best modern Metroidvanias, right behind Hollow Knight.

I liked Ender Lilies, but it didn't reach the heights of those other Metroidvanias.

How are you liking Death's Door in comparison? I want to play it, but thinking of holding off until it gets a Switch release or moves to GamePass.

GymWolf

Ori 2 is so much better than the first. I recently replayed both back to back. My feeling were originally mixed on Will of the Wisps because it ran absolutely horribly on my launch Xbox One. But, playing it on Series X, confirmed it as one of the best modern Metroidvanias, right behind Hollow Knight.

I liked Ender Lilies, but it didn't reach the heights of those other Metroidvanias.

How are you liking Death's Door in comparison? I want to play it, but thinking of holding off until it gets a Switch release or moves to GamePass.
It's a shorter game more based on combat and solving some puzzles with clues and zero platform sections.

Progression is probably the worst thing, you barely feel any difference upgrading the stats and the weapons are all pretty similar, that was my major problem with the game (also being short)

I didn't liked hollow knight so for me all of these are superior except maybe death door because it's a bit of a different game (but i still liked it more)

Wait for gamepass if you are not convinced.

Last edited:

GrayDock

Finished Marvel Avengers, not as bad as it is painted, it's playability (Black Widow for the win) is awesome, but it becomes repetitive pretty fast. Got the Plat tough.
Started A Plague Tale and is a pleasant surprise.

GametimeUK

Another post game blues sufferer. Phase 2 is playing about 5 different games and not really fancying any of them.
Bro, I have got right back into a game. The Touryst and its simplicity have me hooked. Usually I struggle to commit to demanding gameplay and a story to follow after finishing a game, but this is just relaxing and a little different.

Novacain

Currently playing through Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

It's a great package that is light on performance requirements to get 60fps and offers a nice upgrade over the originals. If you've never played ME, or loved it from the 360 era, it's a solid bet.

reektann

Bro, I have got right back into a game. The Touryst and its simplicity have me hooked. Usually I struggle to commit to demanding gameplay and a story to follow after finishing a game, but this is just relaxing and a little different.

Good little game and a good idea to choose something bite sized!

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've been sneaking in some Super Mario Odyssey time late at night this week. Absolutely loving it, definitely feels like a successor to Super Mario 64, in that you are always rewarded for screwing around and goofing off, always wandering off the main path and unlocking secrets. It's loads of fun. I'm not really that big a fan of the Switch (it feels like a "greatest hits" console with few originals), but at least Nintendo still delivers.

Top Bottom