• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I realised on Christmas Day that the new generation of kids have a very different relationship with games...

Strict parenting in China vs absolute freedom in the US: which country will produce the most engineers that shape the future? We'll find out in 20-30 years - my guess is that the US will lose miserably.

Sad, isn't it? There has to be a happy medium between "do whatever the fuck you want kid" U.S. parenting and "the government controls your every waking hour" Chinese overreach.

Wildebeest

Strict parenting in China vs absolute freedom in the US: which country will produce the most engineers that shape the future? We'll find out in 20-30 years - my guess is that the US will lose miserably.

Young people in China burn out so fast that by 25 they want to do nothing other than lie down and subsist on stale bread.

Allandor

Yup. They're designed to enslave the kids' mind to an unprecedented level now. It's pretty disgusting... What's worse is when parents do nothing to make their children aware of the psychology of it and keep feeding the digi-slop to them.
Let me guess, you have no kids....

Well I decided to play e.g. fortnite with them, also to prevent them to pay money for cosmetic stuff. Doesn't work perfectly but they now only pay around 10 bucks a year for cosmetic stuff now. Everything else is played for emg. Battlepass (once payed and you get always the vbucks back).
And by the way, I it totally ok to pay for games if you play them. But everything needs to a a certain boundary. So the ~10 bucks a year are totally fine by me. Even if it was just for cosmetics.

But I can't play Roblox nor Minecraft, my motion sickness hits hard in these games.

The thing about Spiderman. My kids played Spiderman 1 and than miles Morales but never finished the "second" because it was already to much of the same stuff. They never wanted Spiderman 2 even though I offered them to get a PS5 for Christmas. Well they didn't even want a PS5 because Minecraft and Roblox are better at their PCs (especially Minecraft with mods). They didn't even want another PS5 game. (For the record we already have Xsx, xss, ps4 pro and a Switch)
Currently they also discovered steam and lots of cheap Indy games that are discussed at the schoolyard.

Last edited:

SHA

I own a gaming capable PC, PS5 and Series X I'm always looking for the next thing to play.

On Christmas day my nephew(US equivelant of 7th grade) ,who up until now had been playing games on my brothers Xbox account (on a seperate console mind), was given a PS5 unexpectedly.(to share with his younger brother)

I saw the video of the unwrapping, it was packed in with Spider-Man 2! They seemed excited

When I arrived that day I gave him a £50 PS voucher, what wonders will he buy he in the sale I was thinking?

Subsequently I watched him use the card and part of another one to buy £70's worth of Vbucks. then take a snapchat to show off to his friends how many he had. I couldn't even contemplate spending that much in one go on fleeting cosmetic items.

When I asked why he wasn't going to buy any other games, he said "I play Fifa(EAFC) that's on the xbox account, and Fortnite! what else would would I buying?"
The younger brother, then during the older's down time, played some some Roblox "touch football" level.

Even under suggestion, there was no interest in even starting Spider-Man.
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Is he interested in cinematic movie scenes or any type of TV contents? cause it says a lot about the type of contents he's interested in moving forward, not just as a kid.

Go_Ly_Dow

Singleplayer story focused games going the way of the dodo at this rate - apart from a handful of heavy hitters. The service games have captured the kiddos.

I'm sure some as they get older some will become curious enough to try out the big story games that break into the mainstream, but will there be enough to justify the risk to develop big budget story only games? I'm doubtful.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Classic games and modern single player games are for nerds.

Kids nowadays are not nerds and don't care for these experiences. They play games with social elements - what their friends play and what would make them cool and popular.
Bingo. It can’t be stressed enough that they consume games inna completely different way to the way we did at their age.

We had 8 but consoles with all sorts of limits and our social interactions about games took place in the school yard….nowadays the school yard is where they talk about who saved the team last night. It’s about who got the light up helmet….

It’s a very different experience for them to what it was for us. And as such how they consume the game itself is different.

I’m sure this is very opinionated and maybe a little off topic, but I’ll never understand why this new generation of gamers kids and adults only play one or two games for the entire generation. I can understand having your favorite games, but don’t you want to experience new things every once in awhile especially when there are literally thousands of games out there? To me it’s like seeing the same movie or listening to the same song over and over a gun for years.
They are programmed and only want to be hive mind, no original thought.

graywolf323

And this is why China, for <18s limit online games to a max of 10 hr a week, 2h/day between I think 6-9pm, then any time at weekend (tho still with the weekly cap). Then they also cap micro transaction spend to I think $50/month. It’s viewed as a public health/addiction matter as devs are literally using gambling mechanics and psychological manipulation to extract maximum cash from vulnerable kids/people.

You also cannot play online at all without linking your gamer id’s to your national ID, and are forced to use your real name (no anonymous trolling). If you are a dick online you can lose access to services, or get bandwidth throttled.

Some of this is a little extreme, but I kinda agree with a lot of it
it’s a bit worse if you think about it because through TikTok the Chinese government is pushing on Western youth what they then block from their own youth

Deft Beck

Twenty years ago, he would be playing nothing but Halo. It's a cyclical thing.

Remember that this is an enthusiast forum, and the vast majority of people play maybe two or three games per year. With the advent of Fortnite, that eclipses most preteens' time entirely.

If he wants to play something else, then let him come to it naturally.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

This is why there are so many remakes happening and some are arguably justified.

RE4, FF7, Demon Souls, Shadow of the Collossus and others are popular enough that when remade existing fans would buy them as they have. But also old or outdated enough that the kids playing games now either wouldn't want to touch the originals because they're not shiny enough or they're just not aware of these games.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
We had casuals only playing fifa, pro evo, football manager, civilization, diablo or some browser game and stick to that thing forever back then too, you wouldn't buy Metal Gear Solid, FFVII or Ocarina of Time for their type either, they just weren't exploited as much yet (outside wow addicts).

Dota and later lol were other games you found people who didn't game outside them playing. Obviously other kids still play great (and crappy) normal games, all major systems have a solid % of kids using them and playing a wide range of games they make successful in their demographics.

Ian Miles Cheong is a living meme, appearing as a hardcore MAGA type ultra right blogger who likes to comment on the state of the USA and especially immigrant "issues" as such folk tend to do, except he has never left his mother land of Malaysia. Folks just lap that shit up so he makes $$$.

Last edited:

phant0m

My daughter is only 2.5 months old. I'm praying by the time she's 5+, Fortnite will finally be dead and moved on from. I'll be starting her on NES and moving on to Genesis, SNES, N64 and PSX before she can move on to 6th Gen and up.
Same (mine is 2 yrs though). Luckily I still have a CRT Trinitron and PS2 with a bunch of PS1 and PS2 discs.

Fortnite is just social media the video gameTM.

Ain't this about the same when people used to buy PSX/2/3/4 to only play Winning Eleven/FIFA/Madden/COD?

Kind of but even that crowd would break into other big games like AssCreed, Gears, Tony Hawk.

Last edited:

Quantum253

I own a gaming capable PC, PS5 and Series X I'm always looking for the next thing to play.

On Christmas day my nephew(US equivelant of 7th grade) ,who up until now had been playing games on my brothers Xbox account (on a seperate console mind), was given a PS5 unexpectedly.(to share with his younger brother)

I saw the video of the unwrapping, it was packed in with Spider-Man 2! They seemed excited

When I arrived that day I gave him a £50 PS voucher, what wonders will he buy he in the sale I was thinking?

Subsequently I watched him use the card and part of another one to buy £70's worth of Vbucks. then take a snapchat to show off to his friends how many he had. I couldn't even contemplate spending that much in one go on fleeting cosmetic items.

When I asked why he wasn't going to buy any other games, he said "I play Fifa(EAFC) that's on the xbox account, and Fortnite! what else would would I buying?"
The younger brother, then during the older's down time, played some some Roblox "touch football" level.

That is why I started buying games for gifts and not PS/Xbox cards. The first time watching 100 Bucks go to V-Bucks, it was a wrap. Had a co-worker's son rack up the credit card attached to the Xbox account on V-buck purchases (it was hundreds of dollars) and the nonchalant attitude kids will be kids amazed me. This year I got the nephew SpiderMan 2 and a couple of other games instead of expecting him to go online and download.

ZoukGalaxy

Another spoiled rotten child.
Tom And Jerry Reaction GIF

*efficient way to handle them*
kill it with fire GIF

Last edited:

Fabieter

Yea its pretty insane on f2p games including league of legends, Cs, dotage etc. People are fine paying dozens of $ to get a skin but are hesitant to buy games fullprice. It isnt just kids tho. I always hear " they need to make money somehow" while alot of those f2p games are so fucking profitable because of low cost compared to traditional gaming.

Last edited:

Smether

Times change, but we're still human. People will always want to be one of the hive. When you go to school and all the kids are playing F2P games, because half of them are gaming on a hand me down console or laptop or maybe even a tablet, then you will want to play that too even if you have a PS5. And it's so well designed to get you on that mindset. People knock Fortnight, but it's the only true metaverse, for that generation anyway.

EruditeHobo

That's why I always look at people complaining about GaaS as grumpy old men complaining about how things were better in the past.

Exactly.

Things always change, it's the natural state of everything. Why bitch about it? Think about the average difference in attitudes toward gaming between a kid coming up in the 90s loving Squaresoft JRPGs or whatever, and that kid's parents... imagine what they were saying about their kid's gaming habits, and the gulf between them.

I guess the kid wants to play all those GAAS on PC like some older kids he knows.

Regarding Spiderman and things like that, some kids can get into it for a little while but prefer their own things and trends like each gen does, they see it as stuff from the olden days.

This is not a younger generation thing. Rather a casual gamer vs core gamer thing.

Even in our generation there are those who would only play Madden, or only play COD. Aka casual gamers.

Sorry OP, but your nephew is a filthy casual.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Kids need parents who give a shit, otherwise they will spend all their dime and money on these platform games that are dopamine orgies.

People who think it’s “old vs new” are missing the forest for the threes. These kids aren’t jumping from one gaas to the next, they get addicted to the same loop over and over, for years. This is a problem. The worst part(kinda) is they will end up spending hundreds on the exact same shit, like addicts.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Kids need parents who give a shit, otherwise they will spend all their dime and money on these platform games that are dopamine orgies.

People who think it’s “old vs new” are missing the forest for the threes. These kids aren’t jumping from one gaas to the next, they get addicted to the same loop over and over, for years. This is a problem. The worst part is they will end up spending hundreds on the exact same shit, like addicts.

Definitely. Ultimately parents are the guiding light to their kids and can expose them to anything they themselves place value in. However different parents value different things. Some grew up on games themselves and some didn't. Those that didn't may not understand how gaming has evolved. What's changed from the types of gaming experiences we had on PS1/PS2 vs PS4/PS5 etc...

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use to get kinda jealous of my step daughter seeing her dad cause he’s a big Xbox guy and I thought they’d play all these games. Nope, just a bunch of multiplayer building sims. I’m not even thinking about it. She plays MineCraft and Animal Crossing. She hates dying and she doesn’t want to listen to the dialogue. She knows what happens to Aerith in FF7, but what does it mean when you’re told that? I have a feeling like she’ll never touch the games unless I put it and have her play it.

Kids want PRIME drinks, they discuss vTubers like they’re close friends, and they play games based off their appearance. I don’t get excited for those types of things and that’s ok. Yeah, the glory days of playing Zelda or Final Fantasy with your kids from start to finish is an allusion if you ask me. One thing that I do notice is that she always asks to be the opposite sex. It doesn’t matter which game it is, the main character should be the opposite sex. I never cried about who the main character was. I’d happily see myself out if that all that was left to gaming. We are lucky that this is a very large industry. What sucks is your top dog who owns the hedge funds want to make money more than they want to please fans that have been around for almost half a century.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
"The future is now, old man"
I mean will are getting a whole generation grew up not paying for the games but paying for in-game currency, cosmetics and so on only 🤷‍♂️
One better, modern GaaS is around 20 years old. So even for many 20 year olds today, they never experienced a world without it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yep. My nephew is exactly the same. Steam deck, ps4 and I send him money which he spends on gems or some shit. No interest in real games.

Neolombax

I never buy anything related to gaming to other family members except my own children. As for my kids, I don't allow them to buy cosmetics or give them gift cards and such. These things could easily turn into an addiction and I don't see value in cosmetics. I'd much rather buy them new games and engage with different content.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My son is 6 and has clocked over 90 hours in Spider-Man 2 since release. He loved Miles morales. He’s played the miles game through 3 times too.

He kind of messes with Fortnite, at least the Lego stuff, enjoys Minecraft, and has also completed both SpongeBob games. He super digs the hello neighbor games but doesn’t get far. I’ve beaten both with him since he’s a scaredy cat lol. We recently tried wobbly life and get some kicks out of that too.

The only way you’ll get a kid to play other games is to… throw money at games, let them try it, and then go from there. Similar to how we would go to blockbuster as kids, and either go balls deep over the weekend or say fuck it till next weekend to try a different game.

Get gamepass or ps plus, then try stuff out with them.

If it isn’t your kid then really fuck games. It’s a shit hobby. Get them into hiking.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t blame the new generation of gamers once again they’re spoon fed yucky micro transactions, fortnight isn’t good, Minecraft isn’t amazing.

Top Bottom