• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Players have no patience. They want new stuff every day, every hour." - Mike Ybarra

Atrus

Gold Member
Blizzard cannot blame gamers for creating and promoting short, psychologically addicting gameplay loops to keep charging money for.

There were plenty of games in the old days that sold you a complete game first and then decided to launch meaty expansions thereafter for half the purchase price of a game.

People enjoy meaty, creative playgrounds but if you don’t allow them to create, modify and invest, they’re going to just demand the next hit.

Remember when people played multiplayer games for years because the core gameplay was fun and getting better was the reward?
And drop games with season passes when the content skips a beat? It’s because they dilute the base game to carve out a path for monetization.

All of which is just a shit ton of work on their behalf, few winners, no rest, no creativity, whale chasing, and freeloaders.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
No, people want Blizzard to stop making shitty design decisions and what they're actually asking for so incessantly is for you to fix those problems and stop making them worse. Which Blizzard hasn't done for the last decade and change.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The rise of ADHD
Everyone i see is addicted to tiktok and scrolling now, same for games and wanting something new everyday
Double Tap Reaction GIF by Klarna

The rise of ADHD
Everyone i see is addicted to tiktok and scrolling now, same for games and wanting something new everyday
Double Tap Reaction GIF by Klarna
It's actually kind of troubling for gaming that Zoomers and Alphas spend almost all their time scrolling social media now, gaming is actually way down in the post-Millennial generations. Something needs to be done to get successive generations to be gamers or the whole industry is in big deep shit.

radewagon

This is funny. Maybe it means that your gameplay loop is junk. I play all sorts of games and I rarely think to myself, "man, I better get a new thingy or I'm out." Hell, I replay DOOM at least once a year and literally nothing is new. It's just that the game is, y'know, fun.

Mr1999

People want a lot of things, but you aren't giving players new content every day and every hour. So, what's the problem?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet a lot of it is social media being problematic for the games industry. When has the industry ever had a direct feed with its fans?

kungfuian

At some point, and honestly probably not that far in the future, when AI tools become strong enough, it's not hard to magine some type of fully procedurally generated games being a thing.

At that point gamers will have unlimited access to 'new' content. You just tell the system what you want to play and it generates themed levels, art, characters, etc, and the game will be created on the fly and be modified just as fast.

These games will have live ai driven stories, character interaction, game rules, etc., and the idea of 'making' games as we know it will go away. Everything will just be generated on the fly. It will be the ultimate gamer sandbox.

The day games like this become a thing, the ART of making games will be taken over to a large extent. Sure we'll still have creatives that make unique stuff, but they will ultimately be in the minority due to the cost of creating such unique content.

When that day comes, and believe me it is coming sooner or later, I'll commit myself 100% to shaking my fist at the sky and yelling at kids on my lawn.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remember when people played multiplayer games for years because the core gameplay was fun and getting better was the reward?
sadly with every passing year, a smaller percentage of people can answer this question in the affirmative. old millenials and boomers are a smaller number of vidya enjoyers than they used to be.

if you look at the gaming world that zoomers and gen alpha are growing up in, with shit like kick, it's extremely grim.

Last edited:

Zannegan

At some point, and honestly probably not that far in the future, when AI tools become strong enough, it's not hard to magine some type of fully procedurally generated games being a thing.

At that point gamers will have unlimited access to 'new' content. You just tell the system what you want to play and it generates themed levels, art, characters, etc, and the game will be created on the fly and be modified just as fast.

These games will have live ai driven stories, character interaction, game rules, etc., and the idea of 'making' games as we know it will go away. Everything will just be generated on the fly. It will be the ultimate gamer sandbox.

The day games like this become a thing, the ART of making games will be taken over to a large extent. Sure we'll still have creatives that make unique stuff, but they will ultimately be in the minority due to the cost of creating such unique content.

When that day comes, and believe me it is coming sooner or later, I'll commit myself 100% to shaking my fist at the sky and yelling at kids on my lawn.
The Giant's Drink, but the goal is to plumb the depths of your wallet rather than your psyche.

CuNi

I pay for the DLC AND the sub. Of course people will want to get value out of it. Especially since the addition of Mt in the shop on top of aall that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If AI can make random generated awesome maps in shooters that’s be unreal.

Instead of the same 15 maps where half are shit, gamers play new maps all the time in AI Map Mode. Or the company generates fast 30 new maps for gamers to play and the best feedback ones are kept in the rotation.

Its true, he is right. I remember when people were bitching after 4 days of release of Diablo 4 how some already finished the game and were lvl 50 and had nothing else to do. Im sorry but thats your fault, expecting a purchased game was gonna feed you indefinitely. When did we ever have something like that? Never! People are just fucking crazy, I can barely keep up with regular releases, let alone bitch how a 50hr gameplay wasnt enough and I want even more...NOW, this week, TODAy!

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The head of the pack of wolves is ctying about wolf traps, basically.

That being said, looking at some live-teams like HoYoVerse, Blizzard conten cycles are slow even by SP games standarts, let alone modern service games.

I'm going to go and defend Ybarra here a bit (While also pointing out some of my gripes with the game), because I can sort of maybe understand his points, when his comments are not for the casual player, but for the hardcore, no life streamers. Yes Diablo 4 is a GAAS game, however the campaign provided in the game is feature complete, and actually pretty fun to play.
Where the game broke was three points, the mechanics were undercooked after the base game ends, and you go above level 50. Also certain basic quality of life features were missing such as refund your paragon board with one button click. I also do not agree with time gating the world bosses to a rotation of three hours, while Helltides are I think every one and a half hour, and last an hour long (they also have severe issues here where the enemy density is poor)
The second point is that Season 1 was just bad, the skills were good but they nerfed too much too quickly, and even with Season 2 Endgame kinda does not exist (Rift like mechanic is coming in December 5th ) - However Season 2 is now in a good place (except the Helltides) - with Endgame bosses dropping one Unique per defeat.

The biggest issue for me is on point three which was Twitch and Youtube streamers ever since the release have been screaming that this game is baaaaaaaaad. Multiple streamers for multiple videos, especially between Season 1 and Season 2 started screaming: I won't play Diablo 4 anymore it's bad.
It isn't, what these streamers were complaining about is they burned through the game quickly and got bored. There was one streamer called Raxxanterax who made a public video crying about: "I made a decision to stream every day for 5 years, but it seems Diablo 4 is so shit I need to find another game to talk about". Then there's Asmongold who regulary flipflops between: "Wow this game is shit, I'll never play it", then proceeds to max it out for hundreds of ours. The Diablo 4 streaming community is the most insufferable community right now - do not look up guides or tutorials from them, cause your feed will end up with a bunch of dumb takes after awhile. Just go to Maxxroll or some other website, find a build and just read the guides. I cannot recommend any youtuber on this game because of the constant ADHD like behavior they have shown.

It's... a good game, is it the best ARPG ? No , but it's not horrible or dreadful, it's fun, the base game has always been fun, Season 1 was iffy, Season 2 is good now, and no it's not content starved, but my god Mike is right, people burn through the game in a weekend or a week, and cry : THERES NOTHING TO DOOOOO.

deeptech

I love this damn irony. How much till games come packed with few grams of coke, amphetamine, or something like that. Oh you gotta keep that shit going somehow.

Interfectum

I already thought Fortnite, DOTA, and Counterstrike came packaged with an Adderall script.
Whats funny is the base game in Fortnite, DOTA and Counterstrike are so solid that they dont have to go as hard as they do. They could quit updating Fortnite tomorrow and it would still be played for decades. Blizzard’s problem is the base games they make now are shit so the only way to keep players from leaving is to do these opium level updates to make them feel good and high.

Top Bottom