• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiga Gaffers recommend me some games please.

Papa_Wisdom

Had an Amiga as a kid an I’ve got cloudy memories of some of the games I used to play.

Rick Dangerous
Zool
Rainbow island
James pond
Vroom
Kings quest games
Fire and ice
Cannon fodder
Shuffle puck cafe
Lemmings
Push over
R type

Gf got me an Amiga 500 mini for my birthday and I’ve loaded it with whds but actually finding games that I enjoy or remember Is a bit of a chore.

Loving going back down memory lane.

If anyone has any must have games that they could recommend (preferably with pics if possible that would be great)

I do remember a fantasy game with an isometric view that you played as a barbarian or something, there was a town and skeletons that in struggle to remember the name of.

So have at it fellow Amiga Gaffers hit me with your nostalgia.

Davevil

Alien_Breed_cover_art.jpg

In-August-1993-Bullfrog-released-Syndicate-A-cyberpunk-classic-ahead-of-its-time-amiga-games.jpg

King Dazzar

I think my mains were Elite, Xcom (though CD32), Civ, Stunt Car Racer, Geoff Crammonds F1. I'll be honest there is nothing that would attract me back today though. For Amiga my memories are best left where they are I think. A lot of games struggled with frame rate iirc. And Civ for example would take too long late game.

Papa_Wisdom

I think my mains were Elite, Xcom (though CD32), Civ, Stunt Car Racer, Geoff Crammonds F1. I'll be honest there is nothing that would attract me back today though. For Amiga my memories are best left where they are I think. A lot of games struggled with frame rate iirc. And Civ for example would take too long late game.
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought it might be the same but to be honest I’m getting a lot more enjoyment from this little thing than I am from my current systems! Probably more nostalgia talking I suppose but some of these hold up surprisingly well, really enjoying push over!

Holammer

Nostalgia you say? Here's some.

Monkey Island 1&2
North & South
Wings
Pirates!
Stunt Car Racer
Utopia
Hero Quest
Wings of Fury

Amiga had lots of fine arcade conversions like Rodland & New Zealand story, but for those you might as well play the original arcades with MAME instead.
Some of the adventure games like Monkey Island and many others may be better enjoyed with DOS VGA versions instead.

Thanati

Speedball 2
Populous 1 and 2
F-18 Interceptor
Carrier Command
LED Storm
Future Wars: Time Travelers
Another world
Mega-Lo-Mania
Sensible soccer
Simon the Sorcerer
Eye of the Beholder
Dungeon Master

That will do for now :)

midnightAI

I do remember a fantasy game with an isometric view that you played as a barbarian or something, there was a town and skeletons that in struggle to remember the name of.
Rastan Saga?

If its that then the Arcade/Mame version is better

(edit: ignore, just noticed the Isometric view part of your post, Holammer is probably correct, most likely Hero Quest 2)

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Rastan Saga?

If its that then the Arcade/Mame version is better

(edit: ignore, just noticed the Isometric view part of your post, Holammer is probably correct, most likely Hero Quest 2)

Thanks for the suggestion but nope as you mentioned. I’m sure it started with a D (that’s what she said) but I’m not sure and my memory is so fuzzy about it.

Marlenus

Skidmarks
super skidmarks
Super Tennis champs
Worms
Sensible world of soccer
Monkey island
Monkey island 2
Desert Strike
Goal

Just a few I remember playing off of the top of my head.

tommolb

Some very good replies here, will add ; Zeewolf 1 & 2, Cannon Fodder, Hired Guns, Alien Breed 3D.

If you're an Amiga Fan, then check out Amiga Addict magazine. if you're UK based you might find it down your local WH Smith's.

Superfrog
Worms Director's Cut
Lemmings 2: Tribes
Guldkorn Expressen xD
Uridium 1 and 2
Super Stardust
Fireforce
Lotus Turbo Challenge 3 (for the awesome music and impressive, and the computer generated levels (Like Worms).

of these i highly recommend Superfrog as a must play.

this is how i play my amiga games through Retroarch these days
35fb48a178cbf3c9caee3c28bd1ec0bb1923b089_2_1035x582.jpeg

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Superfrog
Worms Director's Cut
Lemmings 2: Tribes
Guldkorn Expressen xD
Uridium 1 and 2
Super Stardust
Fireforce
Lotus Turbo Challenge 3 (for the awesome music and impressive, and the computer generated levels (Like Worms).

of these i highly recommend Superfrog as a must play.

I remember super frog and thinking it was pretty lame at the time (just discovered sonic) I’ll give it another go though! Thanks for the suggestions

I remember super frog and thinking it was pretty lame at the time (just discovered sonic) I’ll give it another go though! Thanks for the suggestions
Superfrog is mostly winning on its charm, the music is super charming. i also really like the idea of having to collect coins to get through the exit, as well as the secret walls you find all the time in each level, it is sort of a hybrid between sonic and mario. but lacking the polish of any of the two. i would say Superfrog is still a way better platformer than Jazz Jackrabbit which is like my childhood favorite from the MS-DOS days but its pretty horrific to play due to being so fast and you having so little vision to see stuff in but yeah i would rate it like this. Mario > Sonic > Superfrog < Jazz Jackrabbit.

Papa_Wisdom

There are so many, here are some I have fond memories of that I figured might hold up today. Damn I need to get into Amiga emulation on the Steam Deck, would love to revisit some Amiga games I played 30 years ago.

Omfg wings of war is a game I’ve thought about and tried to find for YEARS! It’s always been one of those did it actually exist or did I imagine it game! I can’t tell you what you have done for me! It’s like a small weight has been lifted from my mind.

Only reason I didn’t see if anyone knew is because I thought I played it on the pc.

I’m pretty sure it was that game anyway. My memory of it was that you could fly a red plane I think it was, and you had a level where you took off from the ground and not an aircraft carrier.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wizzball+
Battle Squadron
Nebulus
Paradroid 90
Pacmania
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands
Rick Dangerous
Shadow of the Beast
Alien Breed
Defenders of the Crown

Last edited:

TheStam

Omfg wings of war is a game I’ve thought about and tried to find for YEARS! It’s always been one of those did it actually exist or did I imagine it game! I can’t tell you what you have done for me! It’s like a small weight has been lifted from my mind.

Only reason I didn’t see if anyone knew is because I thought I played it on the pc.

I’m pretty sure it was that game anyway. My memory of it was that you could fly a red plane I think it was, and you had a level where you took off from the ground and not an aircraft carrier.

That's awesome, happy to help! I also have a couple of Amiga games that I have fond but weak memories of that I've never found again and am still trying to find.

Wings of Fury is a game I would really love to play as well. I could play it for hours on end as a kid, I remember the game loop was really addicting.

Papa_Wisdom

That's awesome, happy to help! I also have a couple of Amiga games that I have fond but weak memories of that I've never found again and am still trying to find.

Wings of Fury is a game I would really love to play as well. I could play it for hours on end as a kid, I remember the game loop was really addicting.
It was I remember the taking off, landing and dive bombing to to really satisfying! I too played it for hours as a kid just flying round.

Holy crap I’m so happy I posted this thread!! If I had gold to give you would def have it!!

CamHostage

European game platforms never get enough love or discussion or support (it's often hard to tell where systems like Amiga platforms are in emulation progress because you don't find talk of those platforms much unless you hunt for them specifically.) Happy to see this thread go up.

Shin-Ra

Extreme Violence

A rad shareware 2D arena shooter with silly ammo (bouncing bullets, shoot through walls) and the minimap allows you to line up off-screen kills.

Pacmania, Rainbow Islands, Operation Wolf, New Zealand Story for me off the top of my head.
This is bringing memories of owning a ZX Spectrum and walking into my local computer shop with an Amiga running the Newtek Demo Reel. What a leap in technology and I can’t say I’ve experienced a bigger leap since (I didn’t like the move from 2D to 3D (PS1 etc) as a lot of them looked rough as hell and terrible pop in

Papa_Wisdom

Pacmania, Rainbow Islands, Operation Wolf, New Zealand Story for me off the top of my head.
This is bringing memories of owning a ZX Spectrum and walking into my local computer shop with an Amiga running the Newtek Demo Reel. What a leap in technology and I can’t say I’ve experienced a bigger leap since (I didn’t like the move from 2D to 3D (PS1 etc) as a lot of them looked rough as hell and terrible pop in
I was a little too young for the zx spectrum but I remember my dad booting his up with the tape deck and waiting half an hour for it to load. My mum used to love the text adventures. I can still hear the noise of that tape spinning seared into my brain lol

Top Bottom