• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Darksiders III (PC): Finished this back at launch in 2018 on Apocalyptic and had a ton of fun. A GREAT Darksiders 3, even if smaller scale than the first two titles. I'm replaying now after all the patches and the DLCs the game got AND playing it on the harder Reckoning difficulty. Due to all the gameplay rebalancing and other quality of life changes brought by the patches and DLC, I must admit, gave is significantly easier the 2nd time around. Very close to finishing it, IIRC. Some ... 4 bosses to go.
I need to play it again. I bought it day 1, and started in... probably Apocalypotic as well, the hardest difficulty? thinking "how hard can it be", and the answer was "way more than I could handle".
I think I fought Wrath once and Sloth, the latter took me weeks of dying... Afterwards the game opened up a lot, there were a lot of areas where I could go, but every lowly enemy felt way too strong and I ended up giving up, or at least losing interest once new games came out.

The game was great though, and not even *that* hard - just that the controls weren't super reactive at times. I heard that they tweaked the dodge mechanics a fair bit some time after launch and wanted to try it again, but alas, too many other games to play... You post definitely makes me want to install it again once I receive my new computer.

~edit: obviously meant Wrath, not War

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Tim Rogers 3 hour long "review" of Doom mentioned Scorched Earth, which in turn reminded me that I own ShellShock Live, so I'm playing that

Just finished A Plague Tale as part of PS+ and while it was very above average throughout, ending was, as usual, preposterous and totally unnecessary. It soured on otherwise very good game. Recommend playing with French voiceovers for extra immersion.

Last edited:

Cryio

Mad Max on my Series X. Had it since launch but it’s been in my backlog ever since. Regret not playing it earlier when it’s servers were online. There’s an impossible achievement now. But it runs silky smooth butter on the Series X. 😉
Thankfully, Mad Max runs smooth as butter on all platforms it's available on.

Sausy1987

The Order 1886 .
After listening to consistent negativity for 6 years and Always wanting play it I finally gave in . I LOVE it . Actually shocked at how good it is . Unique world and story . Cool characters , guns are cool and satisfying , dialogue well written & it looks Amazing for a 2015 game ! Nice and short too which is good when you have huge back log .

Vagswarm

Finally decided to take on the big dog that is Cyberpunk 2077, and have been enjoying it immensely. I paid no attention to all the hype or resulting backlash -- started completely neutral. I'm using a laptop PC with a Ryzen 9 5900, GeForce RTX 3070, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, and a QHD 2560x monitor w/ 165 hz refresh rate -- the ASUS ROG Zephyrus. By default all settings were on the maximum allowed. Other than annoying bugs and glitches, which are right in your face, I haven't had any performance issues. The glitches have all been with characters bouncing around, vehicles overlapping, and dialogue skipping / overlapping. There was a point where the vehicle was talking to me and someone was calling over the phone, so there were 4 voices (my character twice) talking at the same time! But nothing prevented me from progressing in any way. The graphics look amazing, but I personally prefer Horizon Zero Dawn (as top tier) because of the nature-based atmosphere. I don't care for much cities, even though the game is literally revolved around one. lol. Driving in first-person at night while it's storming is pretty awesome however. There was a mission where I was allowed to do this as a passenger without worrying about crashing, which was really cool. There a lot of chill moments in general, mainly because character interaction is such a huge focus. But you get a strong connection with the characters this way.

Other than being unable to play it on their respective systems without crashing every 5 minutes (I personally had no problems), the biggest negative I hear is that it's not a fully open-world RPG. This definitely feels like a pseudo open world -- mainly because the driving and layout is very much like GTA. I definitely don't mind all the driving here, as the music is pretty incredible. And I don't know how else they would pull off 20 people calling you at the same time. I also don't mind how it feels like a linear, story-driven game in an open world. For most games I stick primarily with the main story, and only dab into some of the optional stuff. And I'm not bothered by the useless NPC's, lack of detail when you hit someone, and all the rest. So for me it's fine.

Otherwise the story, characters, voice acting are all excellent. Someone is always engaging with you in some form. The side quests aren't that bad either, especially later on. Some are continuous like the main story. I actually care about some of the characters and really want to know what happens with the story. The gameplay feels like GTA meets Fallout 3 meets an FPS game better than both of those (for shooting). The melee combat isn't that fun for me though. And binding dodge and stealth to the same key is a horrible idea. Trying to dodge and shoot a melee-based character (especially a mini-boss) is so frustrating. It seems like every time I try to dodge -- unless I get it absolutely perfect -- I end up in stealth mode while kneeling right by the enemy, only slower than before! WTF. On top of that skipping through dialogue uses the same button! There's times where I'll be crouching while talking to someone because I don't want to skip the dialogue by pressing B... Otherwise, the sniping is a lot of fun; the stealth and quickhack system is pretty cool; there's options in terms of developing the character; and adding Keanu was a huge positive. I heard he requested to be featured often, which is awesome. You can see that for sure.

I'm sure I'm pretty far at this point. Pretty much finished the Panam and Judy side missions and I get the sense that there's not a lot left. I can tell I will be playing this game again, as some of the story didn't make sense and I probably missed some stuff. And it's actually pretty good. At least on the PC it seems fine.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Just finished A Plague Tale as part of PS+ and while it was very above average throughout, ending was, as usual, preposterous and totally unnecessary. It soured on otherwise very good game. Recommend playing with French voiceovers for extra immersion.

Tried to start this game last night. I really couldn't vibe with it. Do you recommend pushing through? I heard it's a slow burn.

Enjay

Banned
Mad Max on my Series X. Had it since launch but it’s been in my backlog ever since. Regret not playing it earlier when it’s servers were online. There’s an impossible achievement now. But it runs silky smooth butter on the Series X. 😉
Wow that sucks about the achievement.

Tried to start this game last night. I really couldn't vibe with it. Do you recommend pushing through? I heard it's a slow burn.
You won’t get blown out by story when all is said and done. What really bothers me is that it is based on real events and it starts relatively grounded but as the game progresses it gets crazier and crazier and I’m just asking why, why are you doing this. Rats tornados, really? I know it has to be video game but it’s still disappointing.

And yeah, I don’t recommend pushing through if you just started and are not feeling it. It’s not a short game and can become a slog near the end. It doesn’t get much different or better, you’ll get all kinds of concoctions but you’ll rarely have option to experiment with solutions yourself. Per trophy stats, only 10% of players finished the game.

I was impressed with graphics and esthetics, did not expect that in a game about 🐀.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Resident Evil 5. Just got to the base. I still love this game to pieces, and I really appreciate the extra lore from the in depth files, the DLC chapters, both versions of Mercenaries. Just a lot of game here. Co op was always a blast, too. Legit the only thing that aged poorly and didn't bother me then but does now is fucking Sheva's AI in single player.

Grabs ammo for guns that I'm using but she doesn't have, almost out of some artificial spite. Waits until I'm halfway through sneaking through the Licker hallway to open fire on the entire lot of them with a submachine gun and use my buff pasty asshole as bait. This is all in Cover mode, too. And then as I'm literally pulling tongues out of my chest, she has the gall to say "Don't be reckless!"

Give me Ashley any day of the week. Fuck, give me Princess Ruto.

reektann

Finished The Evil Within on PC which I had been playing through over the past couple weeks, slowly. Really enjoyed it and I thought it mixed up the gameplay very well.

I was going to go straight to The Evil Within 2 but then realised the Gamepass version has story DLC to flesh out the crazy story more - so likely playing that next.

Metroid Fusion on GBA too and Chrono Trigger on NDS.

Nico_D

Monster Hunter Stories 2. Pleasantly complex systems without being overwhelming. Having a good time.

I would like to be able to compare monstied somehow but putting level 10 against newborn isn't telling me much.

Last game I was playing was with my game sempai and we played FFVIIR intergrade. Sadly we couldn’t play anymore. We didn’t even get to Yuffies part. It’s one of my favorite games, I love the original and the remake is amazing! The game was my happy place and I’m sad that I can’t play anymore. I hope I can in the future!
I would definitely recommend it to everyone, it looks so good, it’s fun and a great story! :lollipop_fire:

Last edited:

GeekyDad

And with a little over 120 hours in, finished Final Fantasy Tactic A2. Damn, thought there would be more after that. :D That last battle(s) -- god damn! I was doing everything wrong. I think in total, with all three phases, it took around two hours to get through, but did it in one shot somehow. Really sad it's over, though. But evidently, after the credits roll, you can save the completed game, load it, and it brings you to right before that final series of battles. And so, I'll probably milk it for every last drop. Really wonderful experience for some reason. I don't know... musta been my mood.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Just platinumed Ratchet and Clank. Honestly if it wasn't so easy to get I wouldn't have bothered. Pretty game, but it wasn't very fun for whatever reason, just good enough to finish the story and spend the extra twenty minutes to grab the last couple trophies.

Playing Returnal, still enjoying the loop, wish they would release some DLC.

Also playing Skyward Sword now. Lord are the joycons janky, but the game was already very forgiving so it's fun enough.

May try Plague Tale if I decide to take a break from Returnal.

catvonpee

I've been trying to get into Nioh on PC but it's so difficult for me. Is Nioh 2 any easier or just as difficult? I don't have the twitch reflexes I used to have...

MastAndo

MLB The Show 21, almost exclusively. I just finished the Live collection a couple of days ago with no money spent, and was pretty proud of myself for sticking to it. I don't even play online at all and still have a killer Diamond Dynasty team for no real reason, but I love baseball and have enjoyed the collections aspect of the game.

I had been playing some Chivalry 2 recently and while it's fun, it feels like a beta with a $40 price tag attached to it. Once you unlock the subclasses, you're just spinning your wheels. There's no sort of satisfying sense of progression to keep you playing and it very quickly begins to feel "samey" from one match to the next. Plus, there are bugs, and the devs haven't released a single patch for it. I'll keep it in mind for later and revisit when they release new content.

I'll be trying Flight Simulator and The Ascent on Game Pass later this month. I hope FS keeps my interest on XSX longer than it did on PC, as my experience was marred by technical/CPU bottleneck issues, but I'm not optimistic that it will. The Ascent though, looks right up my alley.

Unity of Command. I got filtered pretty hard at first but I persisted and now I find it very rewarding. It's immensely satisfying to punch through enemy lines and cut off their supplies. Every mission feels impossible and the AI is shockingly smart, which makes victory taste even better.
I'm a casual player and I would recommend this wargame to anyone. After a couple of restarts it will make perfect sense.

SinDelta

Tackling the Xenoblade Trilogy.

Finished the main story in Xenoblade DE at long last. Would have been mind-blowing if I had not come across spoilers over the past decade. QoL improvements for stuff like quests and the UI finally let me get through this gigantic adventure of a game.
Cast, characters, story, locations, visuals, lore, OST are top notch.

The way all these MMO like quests do connect and change stuff is insane.

What happened to the High Entia is the worst thing I've seen in a game since attempting to save the crew from the collector base in Mass Effect 2, or everything in the Dead Space trilogy.

Still pretty mind blowing with the party walking into space for the final battle, and seeing Saturn appear as the location gave me chills which only intensified as I made my way inward to Earth. Realizing how everything that happened fits into place. Seriously Earth being the origin of the homs, the setting being set multiple universes in our future and Mayneth and Klaus human scientists becoming gods due to a experiment gone so infinitely wrong or right? is on part with Darth Ravens reveal in Kotor as one of the best twist in video game history.
Still absolutely amazing and a lot of stuff to do, like the expansion. I think Xenoblade DE is on par with Dragon Quest XI S as one of the outright best RPGs in recent memory.

On X, about halfway to getting a Skel license. I hear the game opens up a lot after. Insane world, great music and character creator but insanely long learning curve.

2 is incredible so far. Visuals and music are somehow even better then 1. The more I play 1 and 2 the more I have issues with X, issues that can hopefully be addressed with a Definitive Edition.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I've been trying to get into Nioh on PC but it's so difficult for me. Is Nioh 2 any easier or just as difficult? I don't have the twitch reflexes I used to have...
Nioh 2, I feel, is it bit harder. Only because of the new mechanics that you have to account for. There are new weapon types, new types of enemies and the ability to turn into a Yokai and the Yokai realm make it more immersive, yet difficult due to you managing all of the new elements of the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm currently playing FF14 during the free login campaign. I've been doing raids, upgrading my gear, finishing up the available MSQ's available, etc...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. Going to play through this, the new-ish DLC (which I never tried), and 2.

Man, Bioware used to have a stable of awesome writers. They did characters well, dialog, narrative, they had it all. And the enhanced edition includes all of the best AI scripting tools in easy to use menus. Even after all this time it is still one of the most solid RPGs around.

Playing ratchet from time to time, mostly on mobile gacha at present(DClegends and FFBE mostly), thinking of starting Nier or Pillars of eternity soon.(Looking forward to zelda, but want them to take a more cgesque art style.)

GymWolf

Monster Hunter Stories 2. Pleasantly complex systems without being overwhelming. Having a good time.

I would like to be able to compare monstied somehow but putting level 10 against newborn isn't telling me much.
Go and try to sold me the game.

Nico_D

Go and try to sold me the game.

Ha. Do you like turn-based combat or Pokemon like collecting of monsters? If not, then not for you.

I don't care about Pokemon's combat, I find it boring but MHS2'S is more involving. Sure there are boring and repetitive fights but systems are great.

So far the biggest thing for me has been building my own monstie team and get them balanced abilities/genes so they can keep themselves and me alive. For now messing around with genes has been an interesting challenge.

The game hasn't been that challenging yet, about 10 hrs in but I have a feeling it may end up being that.

Lot of different weapons, different skills in them. With the monsties there seems to be many possible combinations.

GymWolf

Ha. Do you like turn-based combat or Pokemon like collecting of monsters? If not, then not for you.

I don't care about Pokemon's combat, I find it boring but MHS2'S is more involving. Sure there are boring and repetitive fights but systems are great.

So far the biggest thing for me has been building my own monstie team and get them balanced abilities/genes so they can keep themselves and me alive. For now messing around with genes has been an interesting challenge.

The game hasn't been that challenging yet, about 10 hrs in but I have a feeling it may end up being that.

Lot of different weapons, different skills in them. With the monsties there seems to be many possible combinations.
I do like both but i have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy them.

It is just too hard imagining an action combat heavy saga like MH as a turn based game, i liked the change in yakuza 7 but yakuza saga doesn't really has a great real time combat system to begin with so it was easier...

From the videos the locations looked like barebone shit...

How many monster you can hunt?! Around 30-40 like the main series or more?! Do you have all the MH weapons to choose?

Nico_D

I do like both but i have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy them.

It is just too hard imagining an action combat heavy saga like MH as a turn based game, i liked the change in yakuza 7 but yakuza saga doesn't really has a great real time combat system to begin with so it was easier...

From the videos the locations looked like barebone shit...

How many monster you can hunt?! Around 30-40 like the main series or more?! Do you have all the MH weapons to choose?

I haven't played the main games so I don't know.

There's a bit over 80 monsters to collect.

The locations are barebones indeed but personally I don't mind, graphics are rarely my interest anyway like in YS VIII.

I think this has one of the better turn based systems with monster body parts being weak to different weapons too. Also trying to read which of the three attacks an enraged monster is doing next makes fighting more exciting.

Check out the combat system in YT.

GymWolf

I haven't played the main games so I don't know.

There's a bit over 80 monsters to collect.

The locations are barebones indeed but personally I don't mind, graphics are rarely my interest anyway like in YS VIII.

I think this has one of the better turn based systems with monster body parts being weak to different weapons too. Also trying to read which of the three attacks an enraged monster is doing next makes fighting more exciting.

Check out the combat system in YT.
I will.

For now i have a lot to play and death door\the ascent are around the corner so i'm probably gonna wait a while for this one.

VALCON 82

I played through Trails 1, 2 and 3 last year but haven't got to start Cold Steel 1 yet. One day I will get to IV.
i have found that the games from Falcom and the tales of series have somehow resonated more with me now in life than other games from the past almost 20 years. i played these type games way back when and then got away from them... now more than ever these are the only type of games on my radar. period.
I figure i can make it through cold steel IV just in time to jump into Tales of Arise soon after it drops

bender

What time is it?
Circled back around to Mario Odyssey to farm some coins for costumes and ended up grabbing another 100 moons or so.

Artistic

Finished Quantum Break(decent game), now installing Crackdown 3.

Also playing Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Durien

Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.. I gave it a shot after it was on sale for I think 20 bucks with 4 expansions. I really dig it. I wish they didn't throw copious amounts of xp at you though. Every time I want to do a dungeon, I'm over leveled then have to remember how to play minus my recent skills.

Top Bottom