• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Monokrom

Sackboy on PS5, quite pleasant game so far. :)

giphy.gif

Reactions: MrS

SpokkX

- Sea of thieves - workong on completing a side stuff in the new campaign. Main game is better than ever to. One of the best games ever made imo
- Evil within 2 - played about 2 hours and it is ok/fine, unsure how i like it so far
- Batman arkham collection. Locked at 45fps on xbox series x is fine now with a vrr display!

Mr Hyde

Giving Just Cause 3 another go. Played it first on PS4 but it was near unplayable with the severe frame drops so I dropped it. However, with PS5 it's running at a locked 30 with no drops whatsoever, not even during the most intense explosions. And this game is so much fun. The traversal is very good, especially with the upgraded Rocket wingsuit you get from Sky Fortress. And the island of Medici looks so beautiful. The colors really pop on my 4K setup.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Other than the usual Siege and Battlefield, I'm planning to try out the Monster Hunter Stories 2 Demo this weekend.

I'll also be playing A Plague Tale from PS+ this month.

Working my way towards ending B in Nier Replicant and going through ME Legendry edition. Currently on ME1. After that I'd like to hit up Yakuza Like a Dragon on GP and possibly Judgement if those GP rumours are true.

After that I'm going to do another run of Hellblade and I'm really hyped for the next gen patch of A Plague Tale Innocence, which was my personal GOTY when it came out. It was a stunner back when it released, bring on the 4K/60, 3D audio and upgraded graphics!

After that I need to finish The Medium and check out the recent next gen Godfall patch as have never played it before.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Finally after many months of waiting for parts then slacking off while putting my new PC together, I've started Cyberpunk 2077.
Stick that thing of full graphics, psycho ray tracing with DLSS Quality and it looks slick!

I was torn between this and Death Stranding, but was itching to play something that would push my new PC and see how it goes. (Between 57-64fps, 5900x and RTX3080 at 1440p).

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Knee deep into FFVII Remake.

I honestly didn‘t think I would be enjoying it this much. Questing right now in Chapter 8 and still loving it. Don‘t mind the little MMO quests one bit. Game is rad. Presentation, battle system, characters, progression… everything just feels so satisfying. Hope the game remains like this til the end.

That being said, I just learned that the Classic Mode I‘m playing with didn‘t come with the original version of the game but was only patched later. Just reinforces my decision to always wait a couple of months before buying a game. So much of the good stuff is patched months later these days. Love this mode. Feels like the perfect mix of modern and classic FF.

Duchess

Played Deadlight. Was okay, but let down hugely by its clumsy controls and occasional camera angle issues (yes, in a 2D game..!)

Jaybe

Finished a play through of Doom 2016. Such a great game. Now looking for my next game to focus on. I gave 30 min to hour into Evil within 2, octopath, bug fable, shadow warrior 2, middle earth SOW, and children of morta. I had done 3 levels of Doom Eternal before but the platforming, puzzles, and extra mechanics were a turn off. I need something mostly linear without too many systems, and not too difficult, and skipable or limited cutscenes. Might go back to replay gears 5 or an uncharted campaign.

Last edited:

stn

I beat Bayonetta 2 (Switch) last night, it was quite good. I'd score it a 9/10. I liked it more than Bayo 1 since they removed the puzzles and focused just on action. Next up, I started Trials Of Mana (Switch) last night, so that's my next project. I may also throw in some Onimusha 2 (PS2), and Devil May Cry 3 HD (XBO) in there.

Phase

Zilch... Wish there was something I was interested in playing. At the end of the month I'll be playing Chernobylite and The Ascent.

drganon

Still playing smt 3. I think I'm somewhere around 60-70%. Also tried out the demo to scarlet nexus. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't really like the combat. Probably wont bother getting the full version.

Shubh_C63

Destiny 2
Days Gone

and Doom Eternal again. Everytime I boot this game I realize how absolutely pathetic my shooting is. Even at Hurt me plenty.
Lets see If I finish it this time. Love the game.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Playing Scarlet Nexus. I really liked it at first, but I put it down during the work week and it is really hard to get back into. The pacing is awful at times. It was cut scene after cutscene with little gameplay. I pushed through that bad part and the action picked up again, but the excessive, uninteresting dialog is a problem. Get to the fucking point already. I like the action, but hate the overpowered bosses you aren't supposed to be able to beat. You keep hammering away and their health only drops by 20% before the battle is over. You feel like there is no way you can fight long enough to beat them and just like that game goes to a cutscene. Fuck that.

reektann

Ive been on a run of playing through older games I missed.

After finishing Super Metroid and Zero Mission I’ve started Chrono Trigger on DS. I may be a little late to the party.

lachesis

Finished Ys IX Monstrum Nox on PS5 - Platinummed it.

Story wise - meh. Slow start, some nice intriguing twists but delivery in the end was little weak. Cast wise, it's okay - about similar level with other Ys party members.

Game play wise, I was quite pleasantly surprised with whole monstrum "gift", that how much it would make dungeons and exploring more interesting. Probably the best part of the game was actually dungeons - that for modest budget game, it had pretty lengthy and unique dungeons - several of them. Didn't like the fact that I had to collect 100 nox to open up other areas though. That grinding was rather boring, even though side quests made it to go much quicker.

Other than monstrum gift - the whole game pretty much reeked "reused" game system - like donating food, making weapons etc etc. So much so, it pretty much felt like re-skinned version of Ys 8 in many cases. Wish they had a bit more of difference. Even the characters, played like basically re-skinned version of Ys 8's cast. Not a bad thing, but I can't say it's a good thing either.

All together, very solid Ys, and also liked the music a lot too. Several very catchy tunes. Still - Ys 8 being my favorite modern Kondo era Ys.

Moved onto Yakuza 3 on Xbox Gamepass. I played Japanese Ryuga Gotoku 3 on my old PS3.... still in chapter 4, doing bunch of Okinawa side quests. It feels quite a bit outdated - but after few hours - I am actually enjoying it. I don't remember much about the story - so it would be a good refresher before moving onto ones I've not played before. (like 4, 5, 6 and 7)

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Went back to Wildlands. The game that I have the most intense love-hate relationship with.

I'll always appreciate it for taking the series back to its roots in some ways (Future Soldier was a good game in its own way), but man, the execution was the fucking problem. I wish they put more money and time into it, cause the devs had something that could potentially be a 9/10 for me.

This is business. GR won't get the budget of mainline AC, so I'll have to live with the cheapness.
I never complain about the quality of sequels, since they never replace the original games that I can play anytime I want (og GR is still amazing), but Wildlands could've been so much better.

In the end, even with its faults, Wildlands is a good 7/10 imo.

End of incoherent rant.

Who am I kidding? I 100% love this fucking game.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Finished up GTA 5 on the PC, and I swear they've made some performance & quality of life changes since the 360 version. It ran very smoothly and looked pretty good. What surprised me the most was that it was never frustrating. I remember having to tail cars in other GTA's, vehicles being unusable (and blowing up automatically) if they were turned over, the character AI not following you properly and getting stuck, dying with a couple bullet shots, cops cheating... none of that occured. Everything ran flawlessly. And it was all fun. The combat wasn't bad at all, and didn't drag on.

The story was pretty cool, and there was a lot of stuff I completely forgot about which made the experience better. It did drag on a little while preparing for the heists, but it wasn't too bad. Just sometimes you think "eh, I don't feel like doing a big mission" and take a break for a while. Overall it was enjoyable and worth playing again.

Since then I started Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC, which is the first time playing it. My God does this game look phenomenal. Everything from the detail, lighting, weather effects... I'm not a huge graphics freak, but this is just amazing. The Strider's light on its head literally flashes like a headlight. I LOVE the rain and how the main character holds her head when it starts getting too windy. The atmosphere changes seamlessly and it all looks great. I'm playing with ultra textures, model quality, and anistropic filtering -- with medium shadows and reflection. It runs smooth and looks amazing, with only a couple "bumps" in the cut-scenes at times. (I would post screenshots but I don't want to clutter the page. And they come in the .png format, so I'm not sure how all that works. Maybe I'll post some in the PC screenshots thread once I figure it out, lol.)

*Note: I haven't played Cyberpunk or RDR2 and other top-tier PC games to compare their graphics.

I also like the game mechanics a lot. This is what Far Cry Primal should have been. Normal was too easy, so I put it on hard to force myself into stealth. Having a great time so far and would highly recommend.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Still playing Final Fantasy 15 and enjoying it (Despite the endless load screens).

Another example of why I should ingnore popular internet opinon.

GymWolf

Finished up GTA 5 on the PC, and I swear they've made some performance & quality of life changes since the 360 version. It ran very smoothly and looked pretty good. What surprised me the most was that it was never frustrating. I remember having to tail cars in other GTA's, vehicles being unusable (and blowing up automatically) if they were turned over, the character AI not following you properly and getting stuck, dying with a couple bullet shots, cops cheating... none of that occured. Everything ran flawlessly. And it was all fun. The combat wasn't bad at all, and didn't drag on.

The story was pretty cool, and there was a lot of stuff I completely forgot about which made the experience better. It did drag on a little while preparing for the heists, but it wasn't too bad. Just sometimes you think "eh, I don't feel like doing a big mission" and take a break for a while. Overall it was enjoyable and worth playing again.

Since then I started Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC, which is the first time playing it. My God does this game look phenomenal. Everything from the detail, lighting, weather effects... I'm not a huge graphics freak, but this is just amazing. The Strider's light on its head literally flashes like a headlight. I LOVE the rain and how the main character holds her head when it starts getting too windy. The atmosphere changes seamlessly and it all looks great. I'm playing with ultra textures, model quality, and anistropic filtering -- with medium shadows and reflection. It runs smooth and looks amazing, with only a couple "bumps" in the cut-scenes at times. (I would post screenshots but I don't want to clutter the page. And they come in the .png format, so I'm not sure how all that works. Maybe I'll post some in the PC screenshots thread once I figure it out, lol.)

*Note: I haven't played Cyberpunk or RDR2 and other top-tier PC games to compare their graphics.

I also like the game mechanics a lot. This is what Far Cry Primal should have been. Normal was too easy, so I put it on hard to force myself into stealth. Having a great time so far and would highly recommend.
If you are skilled with tps and want a real challenge, put the bitch on ultra hard and never look back.

Hard is gonna become piss easy very fast unless you are really not familiar with the genre at all.

linkroi

I am currently doing a second run in Catherine (PC) to discover another ending (and trying to get gold rewards too). I plan to start Sekiro in the next few days ! So I will be ready for Elden Ring :p

Vagswarm

If you are skilled with tps and want a real challenge, put the bitch on ultra hard and never look back.

Hard is gonna become piss easy very fast unless you are really not familiar with the genre at all.
You might be right. I just got done with one of the first battle quests (when you're looking for Sona), and it wasn't difficult. The AI is definitely not the smartest, lol. I can take down all these beginner mobs with silent strike, and/or by shooting the patrollers in the face (which they glow right towards you).

GymWolf

You might be right. I just got done with one of the first battle quests (when you're looking for Sona), and it wasn't difficult. The AI is definitely not the smartest, lol. I can take down all these beginner mobs with silent strike, and/or by shooting the patrollers in the face (which they glow right towards you).
They are far more aggressive on ultra hard (the dinobots, the humans are still stupid fuckers but they do a lot of damage)

This is the deal, on ultra hard almost everything kills you in 1 to 3 hits, so using all the arsenal, shooting to the weak spots, using the elemental status, preparing the fight before it even begin with traps and shit became super important, the combat system shine at his max on ultra hard, for me really is only valid option to play this game, even very hard is not that hard after a while.

And you can't just spam arrows and trap without a sweat because the cost to make them became much higher and this add another strategic element.

And of course sense of progression and the whole rpg part became more important, and you really are gonna need to put the right upgrades into the right weapon.

Just one thing, do not try to take the gold in the challenges around the map on ultra hard, it's basically impossible unless your are the god of videogames, swallow your pride and put that shit on normal or hard, you are gonna need the weapons that you get with all golds if you wanna survive on ultra hard (the explosive slingshot is basically the strongest weapon in the vanilla game).

You can ask for whatever doubt you have, just remeber that ultra hard is pretty traumatic in the beginning, almost like a souls game.

Last edited:
Slowly playing through Yakuza 5R. Honestly loving it so far as much as Y0. These Yakuza games are like crack. Everything oozes a certain charm that is really rare these days. Amazing (and sometimes overwhelming) variety of gameplay systems, mechanics, mini games means I never get bored. One moment I'll be beating down goons in ridiculously stylish and over the top ways, cooking ramen to perfect consistency the next, racing against some street racers in a tricked out taxi before finally heading out to town to hang out with a delightful hostess. And to think I'm just describing the beginning Kiryu chapter! The story is ofc the classic mix of melodrama and badass moments, mixed in with a healthy dose of weirdness and humour. So glad these are all available now on PC that allows me to spruce of the graphics, do some light modding and make the experience even better.

The bureau: XCOM declassified

Surprisingly not half bad and pretty decent game imo. Took a little while to get used to the TPS-Realtime-strategy hybrid gameplay till it clicked. It makes me realise there's too few games about fighting alien invasions or UFOs as a theme/setting. Wouldn't have minded seeing a more polished follow up that irons out its kinks, but I doubt that'll happen since 2K marin is no more. Its a shame because it has some cool things going for it. Even if I kinda get the feeling its an amalgamation of a whole bunch of concepts from scrapped prototypes 2K had going. It seems kinda rushed in some places, but pretty enjoyable overall.

Damnation

Looks like a high-end PS2 game not that I mind that. I'm digging it. The steampunk setting is neat. One really good thing I can say about it is that actually makes me rub my neurons. Its got puzzle platforming segments in the vain of Tomb raider and God of war. The motorbike sequences are nice too. Plus the UI is completely barren of needless waypoints, hints, clues etc. Its also got that cheesey/edgey factor with over-the-top action which is nice.

Apparently, the lead game designer, Jacob Minkoff, worked on Uncharted 2 and TLOU too.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Still making steady progress in DS3, killed Aldrich and Dancer today, both on the the third try. Just awesome stuff all around! Got my claymore up at +9 - Heavy Gem

Wanted something else so for a second so DOOM 2016 (PS4Pro) it is. Man this game is beautiful..

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm LOVING AI: The Somnium Files, I don't know why I didn't pick up this game sooner, I love the mystery and more importantly I love the characters and their interaction together.

I always liked detective anime shows like...
images
ID-INVADED-new-visuals.jpg

But in those shows the main character overly too serious but Date in AI can be so goofy and fun but story still can be serious and can hit you hard if it wants to, like finding out Iris has brain tumor and has less than year to live.

I'm still not done but man I'm enjoying the crap out this game and officially hyped for its sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom