• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Western RPGs you're most looking forward to in 2024?

What’s your most anticipated WRPG in 2024?

• Gothic Remake

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • The Thaumaturge

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Greedfall 2: The Dying World

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Hyper Light Breaker

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Avowed

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Other (comment your choice in the thread)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
As the thread title says, which are the Western RPGs you're most excited for in 2024? To help out a bit and refresh your memory I'm going to list below all the notable WRPGs coming this year in no particular order:

Gothic Remake — releases sometime in 2024

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden — releases on February 13, 2024

The Thaumaturge — releases on February 20, 2024

Greedfall 2: The Dying World — releases sometime in 2024

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 — releases sometime in 2024

Hyper Light Breaker — releases in early access sometime in 2024

Avowed — releases sometime in 2024

I didn't mention Fable, Dragon Age Dreadwolf, Assassin's Creed Codename Red, and Clockwork Revolution because these titles don't have a confirmed release window yet. There's also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl, but I'm not sure if this one qualifies as an RPG(?). Of course, I've included an 'Other' option in the poll, so if I missed any Western RPG releasing this year, please select that option and share your choice in the thread. Cheers!

Killjoy-NL

Horizon MMO

Edit:

Talking Western RPG's. Just gonna consider the Horizon MMO a western rpg.

Last edited:
Avowed, BY FAR. PoE2 is my favorite RPG of the past many years so I'm excited to see what the team can do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed though, and if it is, I welcome it.

Outside of that:

Sovereign Syndicate
Archaelund
Horizon FW
Broken Roads (maybe 2025? Not sure)
Dragons Dogma 2
Zoria Age of Shattering

Chukhopops

Avowed is looking really good to me and I generally like Obsidian games in terms of writing.

And also the rumored Oblivion remaster, if it’s true and it’s using the existing engine with UE5 graphics on top, would be a dream come true.

Raven117

I’m interested in all of them, but avvowed has some real potential if they get back to their writing chops and not give us the neutered “outer worlds” writing.

Jesb

I was hyped for avowed but it’s not looking like the game I thought it would be. Art style looks stylized instead of a realistic look like the elder scrolls have or mass effect. Could still be really good, but less hyped now.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm looking forward to Avowed no doubt, but also the Shattered Space expansion for Starfield as Bethesda's DLC and more so expansions are generally really meaty with more content than another studio's full game and I'm hoping that's the case for this one.

I don't know whether STALKER qualifies as an RPG either, but I'm really looking forward to it. Finally, I doubt Clockwork Revolution is coming out this year, but I'm really excited about this game even though we've seen almost nothing so far. I love the steampunk setting and InXile tells great stories.

StereoVsn

Don’t think Stalker really counts as an RPG, but I am looking forward to that, more like hoping forward to it being good.

I don’t have much faith in Avowed, have strong doubts it will be particularly great. Outer Worlds was meh.

And that’s it, can’t think of any big Western RPGs to be looking to in the near term.

Reactions: Isa

Dazraell

Gothic Remake and GreedFall 2 are currently my most anticipated titles out of this list. Loved original Gothic series and was a huge fan of what Spiders did with GreedFall

I'm also very curious about Avowed and The Thaumaturge, but not really anticipating them as much as the ones I mentioned earlier

As for Bloodlines 2, everything they shown so far about it gives me nothing but numerous red flags. I'm very apprehensive about Chinese Room's direction for this game and feel it'll be the exact opposite of what I wanted from a sequel of this game

Last edited:

Zuzu

On that list I’d say Avowed but I’m not very keen on it still. If Dragon Age 4 is going to be released this year then I’m interested in that as well but I have low expectations since the last 3 games from Bioware (Anthem, Mass Effect Andromeda & Dragon Age Inquisition) haven’t been great.

T4keD0wN

I wont believe for a second that Greedfall 2 and Vampire Bloodlines 2 will come out in 2024, feels mostly like a big year for jrpgs, but not much for western rpgs, perhaps indies save the day out of nowhere for me.

Not very optimistic about any of these, but i cant imagine a Gothic Remake or an Obsidian game being bad, so those 2 by a process of elimination.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Cant imagine a Gothic Remake being bad.

There was a demo a few years back (2019?) and the impressions weren't great. The good news is a lot of time has passed so maybe improvements have been made. Though I guess a long development time could cut both ways.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
As a fan of Obsidian and the POE universe, I'm very excited about Avowed. I hope the live stream will blow me away about the world-building and RPG mechanics.

I don't think Banishers can be considered an RPG. More of an action-adventure game. However, I liked Vampyr despite its flaws, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

I hope that Greedfall will finally be the game that breaks the "Eurojank" rating for Spiders.

Don't have any hope for Gothic Remake or Bloodlines 2
Avowed. I wanna see an Obsidian redemption arc. They were so good.
Like, i know TOW has been disappointing for many people, but saying they need a "redemption arc" is a little too much. And, even if it was 2 little projects, Grounded and Pentiment are really good.

Last edited:
*Banishers
*The Thaumaturge

Both are gonna probably be in my top 10 of the year.

*Vampire Bloodlines 2
The wild card, could be an absolute disaster or could actually be decent.

* Greedfall 2
Wont be coming out this year I bet.

* Avowed
Not a fan of the art style. Obsidian gotta sell me on the story.

ungalo

I'd say Avowed by default. I really like the genre but i don't feel inspired by the list for various reasons. But i'll keep an eye on most of them, Greedfall 2 in particular since i played the first one.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Avowed because New Vegas still holds cache in my book. Outer Worlds wasn't great, but Pentiment was at least interesting.

I haven't heard of most of the others. If they turn out well and get good word of mouth, I'll check em out.

Thabass

I didn't even know that Hyper Light Breaker was an RPG, but after watching the Trailer, it gave me a lot of NieR Automata vibes, so that's now pretty high up there.

Probably from this list tho, Avowed.

StereoVsn

big up to you OP for including the trailers of the games you’re talking about.
VTM Bloodlines 2 for me even though i’m almost certain i’ll be disappointed since Avelonne work on it was not used :/

The thaumaturge seems nice too, could be great if the gameplay possibilities follow
Bloodlines 2 has all the marking of utter failure. My expectations for this game are almost at Gollum level. Well, maybe a tad higher.

Codes 208

Avowed i guess? Considering it is essentially obsidion’s middle finger to bethesda (and i am totally in the new vegas camp regarding fallout games)

Otherwise theres nothing here im interested in.

Mr Hyde

Avowed and Banishers are looking most fun. Can't say I'm all that into WRPG for the moment but those two makes me the most excited. I hope they turn out good.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom