• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your most anticipated JRPG of 2024?

Which JRPG are you most excited for in 2024?

• Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Votes: 39 15.5%
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • Persona 3 Reload

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • Granblue Fantasy: Relink

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Votes: 110 43.7%
  • Dragon Quest XII

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Dragon's Dogma 2

Votes: 48 19.0%
  • Rise of the Rōnin

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Eiyuden Chronicle

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Ys X: Nordics

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • Kingdom Hearts 4

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Other (comment your choice in the thread)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Unicorn Overlord

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Visions of Mana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Decapolice

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak

• Total voters

Lethal01

1.Rebirth

I really wish I could take modern final fantasy and give it Persona's artstyle instead of the boring realistic look they are going for.
I'd honestly rather it look like their mobile games than what we currently got

Last edited:

NahaNago

As of right now it would be Granblue fantasy relink. Dragonquest could take the crown but I'd need to see the gameplay/world. I wish that I could have said FF7rebirth but I just don't have much faith in squareenix in making a FF game. Eiyuden Chronicles looks nice but it is iffy on whether I'll actually even buy it.

BlackTron

I have big reasons to look forward to Granblue Fantasy Relink

3c19e1f2b797119ddbdf1847556f4ed99336c781.gif

Those ARE some pretty huge ears

Other than Dragons Dogma 2 and Persona 3, do any of these even have a chance of not being "run towards icons and complete checklists" Ubi-style games? Because that really is starting to kill whatever amount of RPG there was in JRPGs. At this point, something like FF16 feels closer to a mobile game than a JRPG - hold your stick forward for several minutes until there's a button mashey fight for your obligatory dopamine boost. Makes it really hard for me to get excited for the genre these days, unless it's remasters.

Last edited:
Lots of great titles to look forward to; it's honestly a tough choice.

I was definitely leaning towards Metaphor Re:Fantazio or Dragon's Dogma 2.

That said, I voted for Rise of the Ronin because I'm a sucker for the aesthetics and I bet Team Ninja will knock it out of the park when it comes to gameplay. I'm hoping the open world is at least as good as Ghost of Tsushima, too.

Last edited:

XXL

Honestly......

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 Reload
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Dragon Quest XII
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Rōnin

I have been bombarded with amazing games over the last few months and 2024 looks no different. I have no idea where I'm going to find the time..... some of these might even not get played until 2025.

RCU005

I love that it’s so hard to decide which game to select on the poll, and the poll is still missing few important games.

It will be a great year for JRPGs

Mozzarella

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth because i enjoyed the first one, so the second most likely will be as good at least.
I was thinking about Dragon's Dogma 2 but i didnt like the first one so can't be anticipating it without hype gameplay trailers.
Persona 3 Reload is just a remake, not really excited, also i think Persona 3 is the worst game in the series.
Dragon Quest XII is another choice i considered, but i feel DQ has gotten stale for me, not sure if i will even play it.
The rest are games i dont care about their franchise or games i am not familiar with.

9 Japanese role-playing games in a single year? wow thats a lot.

Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes (Switch)

This is my most anticipated for next year. I hope this turns out great. I'm a huge fan of Suikoden. Having the original creators making this game makes me even more interested in the game. If this turns out to be successful and the game turns out great. I hope that in the future more Indie Japanese developers look to make JRPGs that are inspired by the PS1/PS2 Era. Not to mention if this game is successful and great that means we get more Spiritual Successors to more JRPG Franchises we haven't seen in a long time like Breath of Fire.

Granblue Fantasy Relink (Steam)

This game looks way more interesting than FF16. It's colorful and looks like an actual Japanese game. The action combat looks fun and the characters look great. I can't wait to explore in this game

Persona 3 Reload (Steam)

Even though I'm tired of the Persona type of gameplay that's been used ever since P3, I'm still looking forward to this game. It the first Persona game I played back on the PS2. I played Persona 3 FES. I hope they include FES in this version. The original was great and still had the best story. Tartarus was a great concept. I still think the concept behind that Dungeon is still unique to this day.

Metaphor ReFantazio (Steam)

I'm iffy on this game. Game still looks good but just looks like Persona gameplay with a Fantasy Setting. Not to mention oh joy more Slice of Life timed mechanics

Sand Land (Steam)

I'm interested in this game. I never got into Akira Toyoma work other than Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Waiting For Steam)

Final Fantasy VII Remake was good but nothing special. It went places in the story I didn't like. Especially with how they "westernized" it. I rolled my eyes at certain parts and I don't think it's as great as people make it out to be. Part 2 looks interesting but I'm gonna to be waiting for a Steam release

Labadal

If all these release in 2024, it will be mental Which ones do I want day 1? I will put them in bold. Most anticipated? The new Yakuza game.
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Dragon Quest XII
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Rise of the Rōnin
  • Eiyuden Chronicle

I am also hoping for Dragon Quest III 2D-HD. Sand Land looks interesting.

If all these release in 2024, it will be mental Which ones do I want day 1? I will put them in bold. Most anticipated? The new Yakuza game.
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Dragon Quest XII
  • Dragon's Dogma 2
  • Rise of the Rōnin
  • Eiyuden Chronicle

I am also hoping for Dragon Quest III 2D-HD. Sand Land looks interesting.

Dragon Quest XII I'm really cagey about. I hope it's nothing like FF16 but that seems likely so meh

Labadal

Dragon Quest XII I'm really cagey about. I hope it's nothing like FF16 but that seems likely so meh
I get how you feel. I am sort of in the same boat. I know that the developers talked about change, but I still hope that it will keep a lot of things that we love about the series. While I stopped buying numbered FF games after XIII (played XIV for 20 hours, played XV via PS+ for 7 hours, beat VIIR via PS+), I still hope that DQXII will make me feel the joy of playing a game in its mainline series again. All it has to do is stay turn-based.

The end of the year is quickly approaching, and as we all know there are some heavy-hitter JRPGs planned to be released in 2024.

So without further ado please go ahead and vote (and comment as well if you'd like) for the 2024 JRPG you're currently most excited about.

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth releasing in early 2024
giphy.gif

Metaphor: ReFantazio coming sometime in 2024
metaphor-refantazio-metaphorrefantazio.gif

Persona 3 Reload releases February 2, 2024
awakening-persona-3.gif

Granblue Fantasy: Relink releases February 1, 2024.
team-granblue-fantasy-relink.gif

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth coming early 2024
giphy.gif

Dragon Quest XII aiming for a 2024 - 2025 release
dragon-quest-xii-the-flames-of-fate.large.jpg

Dragon's Dogma 2 coming 2024
dragons-dogma-ii.gif

Rise of the Rōnin coming early 2024
s1BvmTp.gif

Eiyuden Chronicle aiming for a Q2 2024 release window
911a47cb200369818e42c531f93d726f_original.gif
From that list, probably Final Fantasy Rebirth. But, I would vote for Kuro no Kiseki III.

I get how you feel. I am sort of in the same boat. I know that the developers talked about change, but I still hope that it will keep a lot of things that we love about the series. While I stopped buying numbered FF games after XIII (played XIV for 20 hours, played XV via PS+ for 7 hours, beat VIIR via PS+), I still hope that DQXII will make me feel the joy of playing a game in its mainline series again. All it has to do is stay turn-based.

Yeah good points

As for other games I forgot to mention

Kuro No Kiseki II Crimson Sin (With a full Fan translated English Patch)

Kuro No Kiseki III (With a full Fan translated English Patch)

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Of the ones listed, probably P3 Reload.

Otherwise I'm hoping Kuro no Kiseki gets its western localization next year.

Synless

Rebirth is absolutely going to crush the competition. Where is DQ3 Remake though??

Last edited:
Of the ones listed, probably P3 Reload.

Otherwise I'm hoping Kuro no Kiseki gets its western localization next year.

I'm waiting for the fans English Translation Group for Kuro No Kiseki II to release the English Translation Patch due to not wanting to play a censored version

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah good points

As for other games I forgot to mention

Kuro No Kiseki II Crimson Sin (With a full Fan translated English Patch)

Kuro No Kiseki III (With a full Fan translated English Patch)

Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
What is the chance of DQ III HD actually releasing at this point. They have gone completely silent on this one. :(.

As for Falcom, I give up on their newer games. It's too much work and it was too much Rean in Cold Steel. I got through 1&2, but can't make myself to finish 3&4 despite owning them on multiple platforms, lol.

Top Bottom