• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Quarter of 2024 Is Jam Packed with Great Looking RPGs

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
2023 was a really great year for RPGs - Octopath II, Star Ocean IIR, Mario RPG Remake, 3 Legends of Heroes games, Atelier Ryza 3, etc. etc.

2024 is already looking absolutely stacked. In Q1 alone we get:

header.jpg

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth - Jan 26
By far my most hyped RPG of 2024 - Like A Dragon, Infinite Wealth. I can't wait to continue Ichiban's story, and get back to the lovely turn-based combat that elevated the last Like A Dragon game to new heights. The developers say it could take hundreds of hours to do everything, and I really just can't wait.

header.jpg

Granblue Fantasy Relink - Jan 31
I've been following this game's development since it was first announced in 2016(?). Looks like an amazing game, very reminiscent of PS2-era RPGs, but the graphics look amazing. I can't wait to explore the world and meet the characters. Battles look fantastic, and the bosses look great and huge in scale. The music is already god-tier.

header.jpg

Persona 3: Reload - Feb 1
I've never played the original Persona 3, or any Persona besides the first game. This game looks like it's got great stylistic visuals, and the original game is considered a beloved classic. I'm not sure if I'll dive into this one or not, but regardless it looks amazing and will be a huge staple in this year's RPG lineup.

9ee756fe5e8e9dce9d04d79a65a3e3a3e16931d52677611b.jpg

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Feb 28
This game is obviously going to dominate the RPG landscape of this year and will likely be a game that's talked about for years to come. This looks like there are more open world sections, as compared to the first game's somewhat linear structure. Even though this is just game two of the three-game remake series, people who finished the first game already know that this is going to be something special.

151a3fe397cb6279d17a4cc5307e975a24195d96c77b5d0c47dc63703263df2c

Unicorn Overlord - March 8
A Vanillaware strategy RPG? Sign me the fuck up.

header.jpg

Dragon's Dogma II - March 21
The long awaited sequel to one of Capcom's best games of the PS3 era. The game looks to have a really deep class system that I can't wait to dive into. The locations look amazing as well, so there should also be a huge amount of dungeons and caves to explore in addition to the overworld. Wolves hunt in packs, yo.

header.jpg

The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered - March 22
Did you play the original game on the 3DS? No? Similar to their other 3DS game, Alliance Alive (which got remastered a few years back), this game is also getting the remaster treatment. A storybook like setting, fun characters, and old school RPG mechanics.

header.jpg

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - April 23
Another game that's felt like it's been forever since it was announced, this game is finally getting released in April! If you're a fan of the old Suikoden games, you'll know what you're in for with this one. Three main protagonists, but 100 different party members you can recruit throughout the game. The combat looks amazing, and the world is really cool and interesting looking.

Possible others that may make an appearance:

hero

Decapolice - 2024
Originally announced for 2023, this got delayed "til 2024". Will we see it in the first few months of the year? I hope so.

header.jpg

Cat Quest III - 2024
If you haven't played the first two games, you'll have some time to finish them before Cat Quest III releases later this year. Personally I loved them, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

44e69004724c765ebc49965d244999ea6af29a6a8463d9513b77e0aa5c2cb006

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - 2024
Another great RPG remaster that I think may be coming in the next few months, though officially just "2024". I suspect this will be the Switch swan-song title, so it'll come out sometime around the time the Switch 2 is announced.

What do you think GAF? What RPGs are you excited for? Anything I missed that I should know about?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Persona has never really clicked for me, but I'm going to truly give P3R a try. Even if I'm not into it, going to put in more hours than I have in the past before bailing. Going to try and give it a shot.

I'm interested in Granblue, but will likely wait on it.

I'm getting Dragon's Dogma 2 for sure.

I'm playing Eiyuden Chronicle as well. Never stuck with Suikoden so going to give this one a serious try as well.

Like a Dragon honestly looks phenomenal. I feel I should play the 1st one, which I do have. So I will likely wait. But the tropical island setting is a lot more appealing to me. Yakuza is a bit of a barrier to jump into if you're not caught up. There's just so many of them.

I'm very interested in Metaphor as well, and will be closely watching reviews and impressions.

Mario RPG I would likely jump on, but Super Mario RPG has been straight up putting me to sleep. It's ... fine. Charming, combat is fine. But I don't think it was worth $50. Probably will wait on a price cut for 1000 year door.

FFVII looks cool but I just have a hard time getting excited for remakes at times, even with some differences. I've owned the 1st one for a while and haven't gotten around to playing it. So when I play that, I will move on to the sequel eventually. Also not excited about buying 3 full price games so the plan is to wait for price cuts and play them in a row.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting about persona 3 reload as emulating my FES is good enough :messenger_grinning_sweat: Next month month should keep me busy for a bit with Reload & then Final Fantasy VII a few weeks later. Still waiting on a next-gen Neptunia, this gen doesn't start till we get some top-nep raytracing

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Like a Dragon honestly looks phenomenal. I feel I should play the 1st one, which I do have. So I will likely wait. But the tropical island setting is a lot more appealing to me. Yakuza is a bit of a barrier to jump into if you're not caught up. There's just so many of them.
2020's Like a Dragon is a good jumping-in point of the series. It's the first one I played, and it was fine. Some of the characters that show up later in the game are ones you would recognize if you had played the first six games in the series, but they're introduced properly here in a way that's friendly for newcomers.

It's also the first game with turn-based battles, which I personally enjoy a lot more than the series' signature "brawler" combat.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
2020's Like a Dragon is a good jumping-in point of the series. It's the first one I played, and it was fine. Some of the characters that show up later in the game are ones you would recognize if you had played the first six games in the series, but they're introduced properly here in a way that's friendly for newcomers.

It's also the first game with turn-based battles, which I personally enjoy a lot more than the series' signature "brawler" combat.
I'll start there and then pick up this new one later. It looks right up my alley.

LordCBH

I don’t understand why Sega are releasing two likely 100 hour RPG’s within a week of each other.

Probably just what's on Switch, Unicorn Overlord and Eiyuden Chronicles (which I backed on Kickstarter ages ago, so nice to get a 'free' game in April)

I haven't played Persona 3 since middle school lol. I'm hoping they expand a little bit on Elizabeth.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really hope Persona 3 Reload turns out good as P3P is one of my all-time favorites.

Same with Eiyuden, but I'm skeptical of these Kickstarter "spiritual sequels". I actually would rather see Suikoden I+II finally launch and play the real thing for the first time since the 90s.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I am really looking forward to Final Fantasy. II Rebirth and Eiyuden Chronicle in the first few months. Other games I will wait a bit on.

So many games in general look good in 2024 and that’s after crazy 2023.

Madflavor

FFVII: Rebirth and Dragons Dogma II are the only ones on my radar. Persona 3's ending was too depressing for my taste, so I have no interest in revisiting that.

Metnut

Thanks for starting the thread OP. Nice to have all of these in one place.

FF7R and Eiyuden Chronicle are must play as close to day 1 as possible for me.

PS3R, Dragon’s Dogma and Yakuza 8 are also must plays as well at some point. Never heard of Grandblue fantasy but will keep an eye out for reviews.

Oh, and I still need to play Baldur’s Gate 3 at some point and Elden Ring DLC is coming too. I’m fucked.

Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives StereoVsn StereoVsn Danjin44 Danjin44 M Metnut and maybe(?) Punished Miku Punished Miku

Please share your opinions on Eiyuden Chronicle when you buy it. I am very, very curious about the game and I really like the blending of cinematography(camera work) and engaging storytelling with a sprite-based JRPG. I just hope they pull it off and the rest of the game matches that quality. I would love to see sprite JRPGs get their Metal Gear Solid moment.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives StereoVsn StereoVsn Danjin44 Danjin44 M Metnut and maybe(?) Punished Miku Punished Miku

Please share your opinions on Eiyuden Chronicle when you buy it. I am very, very curious about the game and I really like the blending of cinematography(camera work) and engaging storytelling with a sprite-based JRPG. I just hope they pull it off and the rest of the game matches that quality. I would love to see sprite JRPGs get their Metal Gear Solid moment.
I'm not really expecting camera movement much more advanced than Xenogears already had, or FFVIII. Just some simple zooms and pans, with a PS1 HD-2D style.

The game really looks like it has it all though. 100 party members. Large scale army battles. Upgradeable town. Mini-games.

bender

What time is it?
Everyone ignores:

SW6_324x400_r2.jpg

Hyped for Dragon's Dogma and Thousand Year Door as well. I'll buy Yakuza out of habit, but I'm a little exhausted by the series right now. On the fence with Persona mostly because I wonder if it will get a FES/Golden/Royal treatment down the road. it's also on Game Pass so I can scratch that itch without buying. I'll probably get Final Fantasy too, but I didn't love Remake all that much.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've stopped underestimating their proclivity to milk Persona.
They might do another Persona 3 spin-offs like Persona Q but I dont think we are getting another version of Persona 3 Reload.

Regardless this my last time I'm getting anything from Persona 3, 4 and 5.......At this point I'm much more interested on Metaphor and ready to see what the new team gonna do with Persona 6 since Hashino moved on from that series.

bender

What time is it?
They might do another Persona 3 spin-offs like Persona Q but I dont think we are getting another version of Persona 3 Reload.

Regardless this my last time I'm getting anything from Persona 3, 4 and 5.......At this point I'm much more interested on Metaphor and ready to see what the new team gonna do with Persona 6 since Hashino moved on from that series.

I'd like to agree with you but the milk is strong.

I'm not even sure if I'm a Persona fan. I love P4 but mostly to do with cast of characters and murder mystery setup. I've tried to get into P5 a half dozen times with no success. I'm going to give P3 a whirl this weekend to see if it grabs me.

2024 is lit. I got Overlord and P3R already pre-ordered. You forgot Legend of Heroes: Tales from Daybreak, and the possible localization announcement for Ys X Nordic.

I believe Metaphor has GOTY potential and it will shit on all other JRPGS.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'd like to agree with you but the milk is strong.

I'm not even sure if I'm a Persona fan. I love P4 but mostly to do with cast of characters and murder mystery setup. I've tried to get into P5 a half dozen times with no success. I'm going to give P3 a whirl this weekend to see if it grabs me.
Each Persona has its own theme and atmosphere they going for.....just dont go in to Persona 3 expecting Persona 4......the whole theme around Persona 3 is Death and loss.

JFC P3R, FFVII Rebirth, and Unicorn Overlord all in a 1 month window. I guess it's alright, I wasn't planning on doing anything in February and March anyways

Top Bottom