• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink | Review Thread

What average score do you think Granblue Fantasy: Relink will get on Metacritic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Theres a couple peeps on my friends list that have been playing this non stop for the past couple days. I dont get it. Looks like every other xtreme weeb action jrpg,

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
80-85 just as I suspected. I’ve been playing for a couple of days now and I can see this game having legs, especially if they add content. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do after playing the demo, but it’s a damn good time. Worth checking out for fans of action RPGs. There is a lot of depth with the skill and weapon systems. Just overall a lot to do and see, without ever feeling overwhelmed.

Noisy Pixel which do tons of JRPG reviews gave it an 8.

image.png

Yonyx

80-85 just as I suspected. I’ve been playing for a couple of days now and I can see this game having legs, especially if they add content. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do after playing the demo, but it’s a damn good time. Worth checking out for fans of action RPGs. There is a lot of depth with the skill and weapon systems. Just overall a lot to do and see, without ever feeling overwhelmed.
79 now. Probably will end with 76-78.

Guilty_AI

Theres a couple peeps on my friends list that have been playing this non stop for the past couple days. I dont get it. Looks like every other xtreme weeb action jrpg,
Reviews say its very Monster Hunter-like in terms of questing and overall gameplay loops, including coop questing.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ngl, i feel this might become a sleeper hit on steam. No palworld, but maybe it could come close to Monster Hunter Rise release numbers.

T4keD0wN

It looks cool, apparently it even supports keyboards, do we know if its possible to turn off the floating damage numbers?

Last edited:

ssringo

Arekkz touched on the PC version. Said good performance and it even worked on the Deck, though obviously not ideal.

Any other reviews talk about PC specifics?

T4keD0wN

Arekkz touched on the PC version. Said good performance and it even worked on the Deck, though obviously not ideal.

Any other reviews talk about PC specifics?
Ive read 2 pc reviews and apparently there is no stutter(no sure i trust reviews on this), but it lacks upscaling options and the mouse doesnt work in menus, there is a way to rebind the keyes. Sounds good enough to me.

I hate how nobody shows the setting menus nowadays.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s almost here, can’t wait to finally play this….and I dont mind the story mode is short as long as I can play all the quest mode offline like I do with Monster Hunter then I’m happy.

Last edited:

Fbh

From the reviews I've read it sounds pretty solid.
The main story only being around 15-20 hours long has massively increase my interest in this (I'm tired of every JRPG being some super bloated 60+ hour affair)
I do hope they add crossplay with PC though, as it improves my chances of having some friends to play this with and it will probably help it keep a healthy community

Since I'm always broke my gaming money for the next few months is going towards Rebirth. But I'll definitley pick this up at some point.

Last edited:

phant0m

It’s almost here, can’t wait to finally play this….and I dont the story mode is short as long as I can play all the quest mode offline like I do with Monster Hunter then I’m happy.
You can. It actually “defaults” to offline with your own party, you have to explicitly tell it to go online.

They didn't like it, especially because it is a story on an IP that has been going for a while and doesn't start from the "beginning". It is their review. There are some pretty lame excuses all things considered.
The standards of review/criticism across the industry is pretty piss poor over the last few years imo. I’m not sure if it’s quite the case here, but the 2 biggest issues seem to be reviewers inability to separate their personal politics/worldview from their critique well as separating their personal tastes. Obviously I get that reviews are subjective but there is a difference between a bad game and a game that you just don’t personally like.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
79 now. Probably will end with 76-78.
I round up (and sometimes down) when looking at Metacritic lol, especially with some of the hugely negative outliers. When a see a 55 on a game like this, that score doesn’t exist to me. And there are several other outlets that I don’t include due to the sway they give in their reviews, or the reasons the dock or give more points for dumb shit, I won’t mention any names though. I give it a solid 80-85 where I’m at with it now. That might change, but I’m 20+ hours in, so not by much if it does.

Danjin44

I round up (and sometimes down) when looking at Metacritic lol, especially with some of the hugely negative outliers. When a see a 55 on a game like this, that score doesn’t exist to me. And there are several other outlets that I don’t include due to the sway they give in their reviews, or the reasons the dock or give more points for dumb shit, I won’t mention any names though. I give it a solid 80-85 where I’m at with it now. That might change, but I’m 20+ hours in, so not by much if it does.
For me I always trusted my own taste over reviewers and they released demo and I play it and I liked what played.....thats more than enough for me.

There are games that got 10/10 a crossed board but I never bothered with them because I knew those game wasn't for me.....These days "score" means so little to me.

Larxia

Looking at some reviews / videos, it seems quite underwhelming :messenger_pensive: I was very curious about it, but apparently the story is only 10-15 hours long, doesn't that make it maybe the shortest JRPG ever? I'm just really surprised about the lenght.
I know there are multiplayer post game quests, but they seem to just be arenas with the same ennemies, so I'm not really sure...
I've actually been watching the anime to prepare for this in case I end up playing it, I really like the world in it, but it makes me want to explore. I wish it was longer with more freedom / exploration. I'm not quite sure about it.

Last edited:

phant0m

Looking at some reviews / videos, it seems quite underwhelming :messenger_pensive: I was very curious about it, but apparently the story is only 10-15 hours long, doesn't that make it maybe the shortest JRPG ever? I'm just really surprised about the lenght.
I know there are multiplayer post game quests, but they seem to just be arenas with the same ennemies, so I'm not really sure...
I've actually been watching the anime to prepare for this in case I end up playing it, I really like the world in it, but it makes me want to explore. I wish it was longer with more freedom / exploration. I'm not quite sure about it.
A whole bunch of 8+ reviews is underwhelming? Were you expecting a Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest AAA blockbuster?

Last edited:

Larxia

A whole bunch of 8+ reviews is underwhelming? Were you expecting a Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest AAA blockbuster?
I'm not sure what to reply to this... I don't care about the scores, I'm saying that the game itself, what it offers, seems underwhelming.
I don't know why you're talking about "FF / DQ Blockbuster", it's an action-rpg sold full price, so yes I was expecting more than 10 hours lenght, I think it's fair to be disappointed about this. The way you replied seems like you're talking about a little indie game sold for 20$.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
For me I always trusted my own taste over reviewers and they released demo and I play it and I liked what played.....thats more than enough for me.

There are games that got 10/10 a crossed board but I never bothered with them because I knew those game wasn't for me.....These days "score" means so little to me.
Absolutely, same here. There are a few sites that I trust for reviews because they are unbiased, but I typically know what I’m going to get. I don’t think I’ve ever been swayed one way or the other on getting a game or not from a review. And I’m with you, there are 9.5-10 scored games almost across the board that I’ve absolutely hated, and 5-6 scores that I’ve adored!

Last edited:
If you read the reviews, the campaign seems to be tight with little filler. It also seems to be a multiplayer-focused character-based game, so you are intended to play online with people and level up different characters.

My take: it's Ys combat with Tales skits and Monster Hunter quests.

Danjin44

Absolutely, same here. There are a few sites that I trust for reviews because they are unbiased, but I typically know what I’m going to get. I don’t think I’ve ever been swayed one way or the other on getting a game or not from a review. And I’m with you, there are 9.5-10 scored games almost across the board that I’ve absolutely hated, and 5-6 scores that I’ve adored!
If you played games long enough you typically know what you would enjoy and what you wouldn't, which means you taste and interest has narrow down and you would be less likely to get disappointed by the games you get.

phant0m

I'm not sure what to reply to this... I don't care about the scores, I'm saying that the game itself, what it offers, seems underwhelming.
I don't know why you're talking about "FF / DQ Blockbuster", it's an action-rpg sold full price, so yes I was expecting more than 10 hours lenght, I think it's fair to be disappointed about this. The way you replied seems like you're talking about a little indie game sold for 20$.
The main “meat” of the game was always the endgame MH-style quests. There’s multiple types and you are meant to level up characters and weapons. The one review even describes the campaign as the tutorial.

Your original post dismissed them as an optional post-game afterthought. When I said FF/DQ I meant a long SP JRPG campaign which this game was never intended to have.

Watch Arekkz review on YouTube, he’s played 100 hours already. There’s plenty of content.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I've seen a lot of praise for the end-game content, that it even includes significant story beats you wouldn't see by just play through the main-quest.

I think its better to see this game as Monster Hunter or ARPG rather than a JRPG.

Guilty_AI

If you played games long enough you typically know what you would enjoy and what you wouldn't, which means you taste and interest has narrow down and you would be less likely to get disappointed by the games you get.
Honestly i had the opposite experience. I felt my tastes expanded over the years as i opened my mind and tried things i would normally refuse, firmly believing i disliked them.

For example i had never really played boomer shooters until a couple of years back, now its basically my favorite genre. I always adamantly refused to play VNs or JRPGs, only to have games like Katawa Shoujo, VA-11 Hall-A, Tales of Berseria and Nier Automata become personal favorites. I disliked turn-based games, until i played Divinity Original Sin 2 and it ended up having one of the best RPG combats i ever played.

10 years ago i would never even have considered playing this game. But here i am, even tempted to get it on release despite knowing i'm busy with other games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Honestly i had the opposite experience. I felt my tastes expanded over the years as i opened my mind and tried things i would normally refuse, firmly believing i disliked them.

For example i had never really played boomer shooters until a couple of years back, now its basically my favorite genre. I always adamantly refused to play VNs or JRPGs, only to have games like Katawa Shoujo, VA-11 Hall-A, Tales of Berseria and Nier Automata become personal favorites. I disliked turn-based games, until i played Divinity Original Sin 2 and it ended up having one of the best RPG combats i ever played.

10 years ago i would never even have considered playing this game. But here i am, even tempted to get it on release despite knowing i'm busy with other games.
I guess everyone is different when it comes how they taste change, some like you get expanded and mine got more narrow.

Guilty_AI

I guess everyone is different when it comes how they taste change, some like you get expanded and mine got more narrow.
I think its just a matter of trying. You'll never know you like something if you never try it, or maybe try the wrong ones. If someone isn't interested in souls games but decide to give it a chance with 2, it would likely just cement their belief even further.

In fact, souls games are another i was never interested in until i played Elden Ring. By pure chance too as i got it as a gift and never really planned to buy it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I think its just a matter of trying. You'll never know you like something if you never try it, or maybe try the wrong ones. If someone isn't interested in souls games but decide to give it a chance with 2, it would likely just cement their belief even further.

In fact, souls games is another i was never interested in until i played Elden Ring, by pure chance too as i got it as a gift and never planned to buy it.
Problem is I have less time to play every game that comes out compare to when I was younger, so I need to pick and choose which games I’m willing put my time in to….because of that I narrow down my interest.

Even then I’m still having hard keeping up, just look Feb and March release, it fucking insane.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Problem is I have less time to play every game that comes out compare to when I was younger, so I need to pick and choose which games I’m willing put my time in to….because of that I narrow down my interest.

Even then I’m still having hard keeping up, just look Feb and March release, it fucking insane.
I think i got the luxury to try new things because the genres i grew up interested in mostly died out (rip driving games). Still, its true its hard to keep up with everthing, especially now that i do have more stuff to be interested in. I did learn to keep my mind open however, though i do avoid time and money wasters like online GAAS for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Danjin44

i do avoid time and money wasters like online GAAS for obvious reasons.
Look at this game, it lets you play online and if you want can also play it completely offline.....is that so hard? Why some devs have such hard time doing this?

And reminder this series was originally was gatcha game they could have easily gone that route and no one would have blame them but they didn't.

Guilty_AI

Look at this game, it lets you play online and if you want can also play it completely offline.....is that so hard? Why some devs have such hard time doing this?

And reminder this series was originally was gatcha game they could have easily gone that route and no one would have blame them but they didn't.
They also have good regional pricing. An official key seller here in Brazil began selling steam keys earlier by mistake for R$180,00 (10% off R$200,00 which is roughly $40, probably from where the $36 keys Holammer Holammer and Larxia Larxia discussed in the OT came), which is generally the acceptable range of BR regional pricing for AAA games.

No DRM or always online either. Hard to believe a mobile gacha company is being less scummy than Capcom.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Same.

I have to hear some wild, unplayable shit for me to avoid a game based on a review, like the core function must not work for me to actually take it into consideration, but with JRPGs, its such a mixed bag with how publications review them...its hard to even buy a JRPG based on what a publication states now days lol

Yonyx

If you raise a few points to a game because it has some low score, then you have to raise the score for practically every game. Because negative (and positive) outliers are ironically normal.

Top Bottom