• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporak

IIRC the Taubes lecture video he cites an animal study where they caloric restrict mice and yet they grow obese. That's a pretty big blow against the "it's just basic physics" view of gaining weight.

Are there any studies that show how much less Americans exercise, how much larger portion sizes are, and how much more often fast food is eaten compared to 20-30 years ago? I imagine it's a combination of factors.

I'd also be interested to see any studies that quantify how much more simple carbs Americans consume now compared to 20-30 years ago.

I don't have a source on me, but from what I understand Americans exercise more today on average than they did in the past. Gym membership and the occurrence of jogging and other such cardio activities are way up. People tend not to realize that the idea of exercise being important for being healthy is a new idea for the average person.

Dash27

It would be nice to see this thread backed up with some recipes/substitution suggestions for people who live on a primarily low-carb diet. As in, what do people eat now instead of having things like cereal, pasta or rice?

Few quick ones. A beef, chicken and shrimp. I will try and update the OP with a few recipes from my various books:

Taco Night:

2 lbs ground beef
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 cup jarred salsa
shredded cabbage
dice avocado
black olives
grape tomatoes

Brown the beef, season with the spices, add the salsa (or add it later if you prefer it that way) and heat to simmering. Serve on top of shredded cabbage with diced avocado, tomatoes and olives. 30 minutes tops

Chicken Salad
4 chicken breast halves pre-cooked
Head of romaine lettuce chopped
4 hard boiled eggs diced
cup of finely chopped broccoli florets
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup slivered almonds or walnuts
1 red bell pepper diced
Mayo to taste. *Paleo people recommend you make your own mayo, I personally cheat and just use store bought.

Fast Shrimp
4 tbsp coconut oil
1 red bell pepper diced
1 yellow onion diced
2 lbs shrimp (trader joes has frozen, wild caught, peeled and deveined shrimp with tails removed)
5 big handfuls of baby spinach
4 tbsp full fat canned coconut milk
1 tbsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste

Large skillet heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and cook til tender (5 mins or so). Add shrimp and cook, tossing frequently, for 2 or 3 minutes til they are pink. Add spinach, milk and seasonings. Mix well until spinach wilts down.
Eat.

Xeke

Banned
Lemon Oregano Chicken
1⁄4 cup Butter, melted 2 1⁄2 – 3 lbs. Chicken pieces
1 tsp. Lemon Juice 1 tsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning Oregano to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, seasoning, & lemon juice. Brush chicken with mixture & sprinkle with oregano. Arrange pieces in baking dish & bake for 50-55 minutes.

Jamesways

You really take this seriously don't you.

Your thread title is bullshit.

People are fat because they eat too much and exercise too little. If their motivations and desire to eat are augmented because of their diet and chemical interactions that cause them to feel hungry and eat all while their body is storing more energy as fat, then they are still fat because they eat too much and exercise too little. Changing their diet can alter their desire to eat the same amount.

Eating too much makes you fat. Anyone who eats a caloric deficit will lose weight. Simple chemistry and physics.

I understand that you want to talk about motivation and chemical precursors that make us want to eat like a pig but eating too much makes you gain weight.

No magic.

So you're saying the type of food is of no consequence at all? Just eat less of it and you'll lose weight. So eating smaller ammounts of nothing but carbs and sugar one can still drop pounds like crazy?
I've never heard of a wildly successfull Twinkies and soda diet. Hmmm...

I do think what you eat matters, and can definitely help or hurt the cause.

Last spring I started a decent paleo/primal plan, wasn't too terribly strict, just stuck to meats and veggies mostly. And it works, I lost about 40 pounds. And I still didn't give up a burger and beer on the weekends. Love them IPAs, tough to give up.

Yoritomo

So you're saying the type of food is of no consequence at all? Just eat less of it and you'll lose weight. So eating smaller ammounts of nothing but carbs and sugar one can still drop pounds like crazy?

You'll lose weight. You might feel like shit and have insane cravings but you'll lose weight, hell it might even be dangerous enough that you'll need medical intervention along the way, but you'll lose weight.

Dash27

The standard answer I've seen when it comes to calories in/out, energy balance hypothesis is "Calories in/calories out for weight control. Type of calories for health."

Those same people (including me in the past) will also tell things like: be sure you're eating enough calories, because you wont lose weight if you eat too few calories, because metabolism.

Metabolism is the catch all for any variance in what you should see from calories in/out. So if you had top NASA scientists measure your caloric intake and how much you burn, you still can and will see different outcomes than what in/out predicts. Then of course you get into what kind of weight are you losing, fat or muscle.

Even the energy balance people understand it's not as simple as calories in vrs calories out, because it depends on what your body does with it. There is a lot of truth in the "eat less and exercise and you lose weight". I dont deny that, it works for me but three things:

- If you're already obese, this method is not efficient or long lasting on average.
- There are definitely other ways to achieve this than mindless calorie restriction, and they are likely more efficient and long lasting.
- Calories in/out IGNORES COMPLETELY the mechanisms our body uses for storing fat. It makes it sound like anything you eat up to X calories is fine and will be burned, the rest is stored as fat. This is simply not true.

Krowley

Are walnuts a good low carb snack? I love them.

Yeah. Nuts in general are a great choice. Fairly low carb, very high fiber, high protein and high fat.

They're pretty much ideal as a snack food on this diet, as long as you don't go absolutely crazy with them. Eat about an ounce at a time, and not much more.

V_Arnold

Are walnuts a good low carb snack? I love them.

Almond, Sunflower seeds and Walnuts are the holy trinity of food.

They taste great, you do not need anything to eat them with, simply chew and enjoy - and you get all the protein, vitamins, fats that you need. Low on carb (and most carb at that is fiber, which you will not digest anyway.).

Piecake

I wouldnt go to town on nuts. Walnuts are rich in omega 6 (you dont want that). So its not a big deal if you have some since omega 6 is in everything, but almonds are better for you (and tastier)

Just make sure you are popping fish oil pills. Everyone should be doing that, no matter if they are trying to lose weight or not

grumble

I do think what you eat matters, and can definitely help or hurt the cause.

Last spring I started a decent paleo/primal plan, wasn't too terribly strict, just stuck to meats and veggies mostly. And it works, I lost about 40 pounds. And I still didn't give up a burger and beer on the weekends. Love them IPAs, tough to give up.

Actually there was a wildly successful twinkies diet recently, google it. It all works, but eating high protein whole foods is easier to keep up and healthier. There's evidence that it works a little better too.

Dash27

Yeah any nuts and sunflower seeds are a great snack. Although paleo eliminates legumes which means no peanuts or cashews.

Dinner tonight: London Broil, broccoli, red peppers. Could have gone with some baked sweet potato but I didnt bother with it.

Actually there was a wildly successful twinkies diet recently, google it. It all works, but eating high protein whole foods is easier to keep up and healthier. There's evidence that it works a little better too.

Supposedly that guy didnt actually eat a ton of carbs:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/11/16/the-twinkie-diet/

Nato

Banned
One thing that the calories in-calories out crusaders seemingly always overlook is that it's much easier to eat less calories if you do so on a low carb, high fat diet compared to the modern standard american diet. Of course, if you restrict calories in any diet you will lose weight. The problem is that it is extremely hard for most people to do because it has been selected for through evolution for us to not want to feel hungry. High fat diets are much more satiating, thus we can eat less calories and not feel miserable while doing so.

Scientists and governments made a huge mistake in the demonization of fat for the past several decades. Overall, the public has certainly bought into the idea that fat is bad for you and as a result carbohydrate intake has increased since another macronutrient had to take fat's place. Sugar consumption has also greatly increased due to the invention of HFCS and the fact that sugar is added to low fat foods since they generally taste like shit. Combine these two factors and you have the obesity crisis whose progression correlates nicely to that shift in macronutrient uptake. The good news is that since we have seen the public respond before to campaigns against certain macronutrients, if we can get scientists and governments to shift their education and policy efforts, we can hopefully reverse the obesity epidemic that has exploded in the past few decades.

Dash27

Tonights dinner:

Mini Meatloaves

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley
2 small carrots finely diced
1 cup finely diced spinach leaves
coconut oil or ghee (or butter, whatever)

1. Pre heat oven to 350 F
  2. In a large bowl, mix meat, all seasonings and diced veggies
  3. grease muffin tin with coconut oil (or cooking fat of your choice)
  4. Measure around 1/3 cup of mixture into each muffin slot.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle

You can also make home made ketchup to spread on top before cooking this, I cheat and just dip in store bought stuff. Sue me.

Good to make a lot of these. Nice to have for breakfast lunch and dinner when you want a quick protein hit to go with some veggies or fat. I had these with green beans and pickles. Just like a bunless burger really.

Dash27

Why we get fat pg 211:

A common experience is to give up fattening carbohydrates and find that you're not as hungry as you used to be, that mid morning snacks are no longer necessary. Intrusive thoughts of food and the urge to satisfy them vanish. But that's because you're now burning your fat stores for fuel, which you didn't do before. Your fat cells are now working properly as short term energy buffers, not long term lockups for the calories they've sequestered. You have an internal supply of fuel that keeps you going throughout the day and night, as it should, and your appetite adjusts accordingly. If you're not running short on fuel, you feel no need to restock every few hours.

CLEEK

Last night, I ate Scotch Fillet steak, with broccoli, green beans and spinach. The steak is fatty cut, and I season and cook with a fair bit of olive oil.

Even if I have a lean cut of steak, that and green veggies is a pretty low calorific meal. But it keeps me full for the entire evening. With the fat, the calorific value of it jumps up, but I can wake up in the morning and not feel hungry. Even so, the entire meal would contain fewer calories than a typical meal with card heavy components.

Looking back to the days before I ate low carb foods, I could eat a massive bowl of pasta and feel hungry again later in the evening. And Eat a big bowl of breakfast cereal, yet feel hungry again by the time I got to work.

The thing I find with my low crab, high protein and fat diet is I feel hungry less often. And when I go feel hungry, it is just a felling of hunger. My concentration doesn't crash, nor do I feel tired. My belly just feels empty, that's all, which is easy enough to ignore if needed.

Edit: low carb diet, not low crab. Although I don't eat much crab meat...

McLovin

Two weeks in, the cravings were driving me insane. I would eat, get full, and 2 minutes late I'll be starving. A friend gave me this regular sized candy cane a few days ago and out of desperation I took a bite. Hadn't had any kind of candy and hardly any carbs up to this point. It was soooo good! And I hate candy canes. I savored that bad boy for a good 20 minutes. Cravings went away... them carb cravings are no joke.
I haven't taken drugs before but I imagine that feeling I got from the candy cane was similar to getting high. I had to pull over my car and enjoy the damn thing.
edit-lost 10 pounds btw

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I must have gotten lucky. I never experienced any sort of carb cravings when I cold turkey dropped grains and sugar.

Piecake

Two weeks in, the cravings were driving me insane. I would eat, get full, and 2 minutes late I'll be starving. A friend gave me this regular sized candy cane a few days ago and out of desperation I took a bite. Hadn't had any kind of candy and hardly any carbs up to this point. It was soooo good! And I hate candy canes. I savored that bad boy for a good 20 minutes. Cravings went away... them carb cravings are no joke.
I haven't taken drugs before but I imagine that feeling I got from the candy cane was similar to getting high. I had to pull over my car and enjoy the damn thing.
edit-lost 10 pounds btw

If you get cravings for junk food, sugar, carbs, etc, have some 85%+ cocoa chocolate. Be warned, it will taste VERY bitter at first, but once you get used to it, itll taste better than milk chocolate. Milk chocolate just tastes way too sickly sweet to me now, or basically any sugar in general

Dash27

edit-lost 10 pounds btw

Nice. The author of Practical Paleo goes to a gym owned by a guy I know. She has some program relating to sugar detox. At least I think that's what she calls it. I havent had it that bad personally but yeah I feel it sometimes. I allow myself some whey protein powder after a workout which has dextrose in it.

Xisiqomelir

I hate these idiots insisting you should add more fat into your diet. Hasn't it been made clear enough that excess fat blocks your arteries in the long run?

"Idiots", eh?

re: Bolded - If it has been "made clear", then you should have no trouble citing a clinical trial proving a statistically significant causal link between fat intake and atherosclerosis. I'll wait.

Dash27

The whole cholesterol thing was an eye opener for me too. Another example of how hard it is to weed out the bad information. If you're doctor is telling you to watch it and you hear it repeated all the time who can blame people for buying into it or misunderstanding.

From what I can gather, there is good and bad cholesterol but in any event it's something we need to survive. Even the bad cholesterol isnt particularly bad in some forms. It goes to repair arteries so it's not the cause of a problem but a fix, which can become chronic if there are too many problem that need fixing.

Dash27

Updates for me:

Still working to eliminate all sugars and simple/starchy carbs and replace that with good quality food.

It seems to be a matter of pick two of the three:

1. Good quality
2. Convenient
3. Inexpensive.

If you're a good cook and a good planner, i think you can do all 3. Make a lot of food from scratch and have it available to eat whenever. Any 'easy' food tends to be carb heavy. Bowl of cereal, chips, pretzels, pizza, sandwich/hero, pasta... even fruit. Meat, fish or poultry requires cooking for the most part. As do veggies. You can buy pre-cooked meals but then you're not sure of the contents and quality or you're paying a large premium.

So I'm trying to be a better planner. Find good meals that are easy to make and taste good re-heated for lunch.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Updates for me:

Still working to eliminate all sugars and simple/starchy carbs and replace that with good quality food.

It seems to be a matter of pick two of the three:

1. Good quality
2. Convenient
3. Inexpensive.

If you're a good cook and a good planner, i think you can do all 3. Make a lot of food from scratch and have it available to eat whenever. Any 'easy' food tends to be carb heavy. Bowl of cereal, chips, pretzels, pizza, sandwich/hero, pasta... even fruit. Meat, fish or poultry requires cooking for the most part. As do veggies. You can buy pre-cooked meals but then you're not sure of the contents and quality or you're paying a large premium.

So I'm trying to be a better planner. Find good meals that are easy to make and taste good re-heated for lunch.

Dash, I appreciate your updates, especially the recipes! I'm going to try out several that you posted. Where are you finding these, or are you simply a great cook?

My main problem with keeping my weight in check (currently about 20-30 lbs too heavy, depending on which site/study you consult) is the convenience factor. I'm usually so beat by the time I get home from work that I don't feel like cooking. This thread is inspiring me, though, to do so. I think I don't have enough energy because of how I eat, so eating better will help that.

Dash27

Yeah I'm with you. I think a lot of it is people just not having the time, energy or motivation to cook and get food prepared. It's that way for me too.

A lot of people I know are into the Paleo thing. I went ahead and bought all the books to find easy, healthy stuff to cook. Now it's a matter of trying them and seeing what I like. Some are just "ok" but most I've really enjoyed. Problem is finding stuff that fits my criteria: Easy, under 30 minutes, paleo, primal or at least "healthy".

If it fits all of that, then it's a matter of taste I guess. Once you do figure it out you have to worry about having fresh whole food ready to go when it's dinner time. Fresh food spoils quickly, so you either freeze it and hope you remember to thaw it ahead of time or be a good enough planner to pick the weeks meals ahead of time... or go food shopping every other day.

The books I use most for recipes:
Practical Paleo
Make it Paleo
Everyday Paleo
Primal Blueprint Cookbook
Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals
also got a few from a Precision Nutrition book from years ago by Dr Berardi.

Oh and my wife, her mom and my mom and dad!

Internet has a ton of recipes too. http://punchfork.com/paleo is a decent aggregator. Googling Paleo or Primal recipes gets a lot of hits.

Everdred

I follow the Perfect Health Diet

Food-Plate-600dpi.jpg

Not only has it rid me of a few ailments, I feel better than ever. It's an "improved" version of the Paleo diet that focus on achieving perfect health and receiving the perfect amount of nutrients. It's a high fat, low carb diet, supports good omega ratios and occasional fasting.

I highly recommend it to everyone, and their book has some great information and was just updated last week.

Dash27

I'm interested to see what they say about "safe starches". A friend at the gym was saying he does paleo + potatoes and white rice. I see they say that's ok too. Oh and they have recipes, nice. Thanks for posting.

IceCold

Why is vegetable oil bad?

What would you use instead of it? Peanut/Canola oil? Olive oil could work too but not for everything (more expensive, and stronger taste).

cryptic

I eat a few pints of ice cream from time to time(haagen dasz mostly, no stabilizers), no vegetables(upset my stomach), just fruits, about 100 + grams of protein from beef(1+ lb. flank steak usually) and raw milk.

My sex drive is up, my teeth feel stronger, I 'm running around like I did when I was 12 after low carb nearly screwed me up, my anxiety/ depression is going away.

I could also eat breads if I wanted, but I generally try to steer clear of PUFAS in veg. oils so I steer clear, I also don't eat pork and chicken anymore, but I can, it's up to me. My metabolism is becoming what it should be and I can veer off the path and get my full for a week or so should I feel the need.

Seriously guys, look up Ray Peat, Matt Stone, and Danny Roddy. They present very interesting stuff that lead from the low carb diet, which, as a very active person from a young age, was very deleterious for myself.
Sure I had six pack abs and was very skinny on low carb but it was a constant struggle to just eat and food occupied most of my thoughts, it sucked, at least in my case. Now,I'm muscle laden but my abs don't show as much, I'm also very happy and I'm not assimilating to quicksand mode.

Piecake

Why is vegetable oil bad?

What would you use instead of it? Peanut/Canola oil? Olive oil could work too but not for everything (more expensive, and stronger taste).

It contains an insane amount of omega 6 fatty acids. Thats bad

Go with butter or olive oil

Helmholtz

Low carb diet worked for me. Went from ~220 pounds to ~178 in around 7-8 months. Finding it easy to stay at this weight too, even though I've been introducing more carbs into my diet lately, but not eating nearly as many as I once did. I basically don't exercise either, which obviously isn't a good thing (I'm lazy), but it wasn't necessary to get to a lower weight. I heard about this diet from GAF, and I recommend watching Gary Taubes' google talks video on youtube if anyone's interested in this stuff.

lupinko

Well I've only done the paleo for a little over a month and I've already lost 22lbs, also I feel a lot more energetic and less fatigued nowadays. It should also be noted that I do exercise 2-3/week. Looking forward to incorporating swimming and Krav Maga in the new year!

That and my workout will eventually be the full Tyler durden workout, right now it's just still the neck/shoulder rehab workout modified with parts of the 300 and Tyler Durden thrown in.

But yah I'd rather be a shallow person than a person with type 2 diabetes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've only done the paleo for a little over a month and I've already lost 22lbs, also I feel a lot more energetic and less fatigued nowadays. It should also be noted that I do exercise 2-3/week. Looking forward to incorporating swimming and Krav Maga in the new year!

That and my workout will eventually be the full Tyler durden workout, right now it's just still the neck/shoulder rehab workout modified with parts of the 300 and Tyler Durden thrown in.

But yah I'd rather be a shallow person than a person with type 2 diabetes.

What about trying to look good makes you shallow?

Jzero

Trying to lower eating sweets and other carbs is becoming too difficult for me :(
I want cakes and brownies and soda and candy
KuGsj.gif

Jokab

So I've been completely cutting sugars for two weeks now, especially ketchup, soda and bread, all of which I used to have pretty much every day. Instead of the pasta & precooked meatballs I've been making omelettes, and I really like the change. Replaced bread for breakfast with a bowl of oatmeal and milk, but I feel it isn't properply filling me up. I'm putting a banana in there too, any tips for more filling?

Haven't really been cutting carbs that much, and since I live at home I have to make do with what is bought. Since a whole month out of school is coming up, what are some easy lunches to make, made from cheap ingredients that I can put on the family shopping list? Any tips are welcome.

b3b0p

I don't believe this is true. Have you done it before?

I imagine you'd feel full to the point of having stomach pains after the 2 lbs mark or so.

Easy.

Go to store, buy 2 packages of the 2lb chicken wings. put in oven. eat. takes an hour, but I have done this on multiple occasions. easy peasy. Yeah, i've done it enough to put on some pounds (and up my squats).

Yes, fat blocks hunger, helps with satiety. However, excess calories regardless over time, you will still get fat. I have yet to see a super ripped up muscular strong keto/low-carber. Losing weight is one thing, but getting down to a comfy single digit bodyfat with strength and muscularity is another.

if you think you are 10% body fat, you are most like 15% body fat. 99.9% of the population will underestimate their body fat and at the 7, 8% range you'll have ripples when you bend over, not rolls.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Easy.

Go to store, buy 2 packages of the 2lb chicken wings. put in oven. eat. takes an hour, but I have done this on multiple occasions. easy peasy. Yeah, i've done it enough to put on some pounds (and up my squats).

Yes, fat blocks hunger, helps with satiety. However, excess calories regardless over time, you will still get fat. I have yet to see a super ripped up muscular strong keto/low-carber. Losing weight is one thing, but getting down to a comfy single digit bodyfat with strength and muscularity is another.

if you think you are 10% body fat, you are most like 15% body fat. 99.9% of the population will underestimate their body fat and at the 7, 8% range you'll have ripples when you bend over, not rolls.

Boneless wings? Not lathered in sugary sauce?

Piecake

So I've been completely cutting sugars for two weeks now, especially ketchup, soda and bread, all of which I used to have pretty much every day. Instead of the pasta & precooked meatballs I've been making omelettes, and I really like the change. Replaced bread for breakfast with a bowl of oatmeal and milk, but I feel it isn't properply filling me up. I'm putting a banana in there too, any tips for more filling?

Haven't really been cutting carbs that much, and since I live at home I have to make do with what is bought. Since a whole month out of school is coming up, what are some easy lunches to make, made from cheap ingredients that I can put on the family shopping list? Any tips are welcome.

eggs and/or full fat greek yogurt. Both should fill you up, especially if you add almonds and fruit to your yogurt

Any good low carb fruits anyone recommend?

Been on this for a month and lost 14 pounds, 7 more and I reach my goal :D

Hardest part is pushing through the crave of sugars, once that's over you feel full a lot and wont need to feel that need to eat as much. I use to eat a unhealthy snack a day (cakes and cookies) so it was hard to break that the first week, but im over it and never crave it now.

FEELS GOOD MAN

FryHole

Any good low carb fruits anyone recommend?

Been on this for a month and lost 14 pounds, 7 more and I reach my goal :D

Berries - blue, straw and rasp varieties being my choice. Current favourite breakfast (aside from bacon and eggs) is blueberries, macadamia nuts, almonds and dark chocolate with 100ml double cream.

basically, I think eating without paying attention to what you are eating, while not paying attention to your weight is how you get fat. whether it's counting calories, or limiting yourself to certain foods, or counting carbs or whatever, TRACKING and paying attention to what you do keeps you honest. regularly weighting yourself shows you how you're getting on.

that's why calorie control works. that's why Atkins works. that's why weight watchers works. you get fat by not paying attention to what you eat, and not paying attention to your weight.

I basically eat whatever the fuck I want, and exercise a shit ton. I weigh myself five times a week. If I go over 150 pounds (I'm 5'9") I start eating 'better'. I cut out junk food. I pay attention to everything that goes into my mouth. Fat, calories, how processed it is, whatever, and soon enough I'm back under 150.

Exercising a lot helps you understand the difference between hungry and empty. I've learnt to ignore empty. I know what my body feels like when it starts asking for energy and it isn't a rumbly tummy.

FryHole

basically, I think eating without paying attention to what you are eating, while not paying attention to your weight is how you get fat. whether it's counting calories, or limiting yourself to certain foods, or counting carbs or whatever, TRACKING and paying attention to what you do keeps you honest. regularly weighting yourself shows you how you're getting on.

that's why calorie control works. that's why Atkins works. that's why weight watchers works. you get fat by not paying attention to what you eat, and not paying attention to your weight.

I basically eat whatever the fuck I want, and exercise a shit ton. I weigh myself five times a week. If I go over 150 pounds (I'm 5'9") I start eating 'better'. I cut out junk food. I pay attention to everything that goes into my mouth. Fat, calories, how processed it is, whatever, and soon enough I'm back under 150.

Exercising a lot helps you understand the difference between hungry and empty. I've learnt to ignore empty. I know what my body feels like when it starts asking for energy and it isn't a rumbly tummy.

I would have agreed with this once (and blamed my lack of willpower for staying fat), but my recent experience says otherwise. Have you ever been obese, or even just properly overweight (as opposed to carrying a few extra pounds after Christmas)? It's probably different for different people, but i wonder if people who haven't struggled with their weight truly understand. I did the calorie counting and exercise thing for years, with little but frustration to show for it. Minimal weight loss, difficult to maintain, hungry all the damn time. Went on low carb (without counting calories, or even carbs, really, just avoided high carb foods and went for fatty foods and meat) and the weight just fell off. It was ridiculous. Sat at work during the first week one morning and it suddenly dawned on me - I wasn't remotely hungry, where normally by now I would've nailed my sandwiches and be considering a visit to the work canteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom