• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulling a 180 on this one, as I think previously (maybe even in this thread) I've expressed some disinterest in this method.

I'm going to pull the plug and start this up next week. Looking for some options on sensibility (I'm not fostering any illusion that balls to the wall will be successful, given my life circumstances right now), along the lines of....

1) What's good to cut first?
As it stands, I eat nonfat yogurt, some chips (rare, as in once every few weeks), beer (OH GOD BEER), very low soda. Once every two or three weeks I'll hit up Buffalo Wild Wings with a few friends (but that's probably not going to change). My dinners need to get cleaned up, as my mother in law does lots of the cooking (she lives with us), and uses butter like it's fucking water.

2) Working out
I work out 2 - 3 times a week, pretty damn hard. Recently my basement has undergone some...cleaning, so that's changed to 1 - 2 times a week. Getting out to the gym is a challenge, as I have two young children, both of whom I'm responsible for in the morning.

3) Biggest unanticipated hurdles
I definitely want to hear some (and I'll read through the thread in detail, but feel free to share) any roadblocks that you didn't see coming. Success stories about overcoming a challenge are always good to read and learn from.

tl;dr: Want to hear what works, what doesn't, and get some tips on going at it. Much appreciated in advance.

muu

Are v8s bad as well?

I do have to agree with a lot of what this guy is saying. I was up to 170lbs out of college and lost 20 of that simply by adopting a modified Atkins diet. I stay at 140-150 (though I prefer to be lower) by eating less carbs than I used to, though I've dropped the wholesale adoption of Atkins. Tha main takeaway I got from that experience was that its important to eat stuff that satiate your hunger, not just any calories.

Septimius

out of interest what do you guys make of weight watchers, which isn't calorie counting, and doesn't make you cut anything out of your diet? I know many people that had great success with it.

You're going to have to specify how this differs from just continuing to eating exactly what you're currently eating. Are we talking eating exactly as before, just working out?

Are v8s bad as well?

I do have to agree with a lot of what this guy is saying. I was up to 170lbs out of college and lost 20 of that simply by adopting a modified Atkins diet. I stay at 140-150 (though I prefer to be lower) by eating less carbs than I used to, though I've dropped the wholesale adoption of Atkins. Tha main takeaway I got from that experience was that its important to eat stuff that satiate your hunger, not just any calories.

calorie density is a biggie, sure.

but do people really find it that hard to differentiate between hungry and empty? I'm not asking rhetorically. I don't struggle with this personally... but to me an empty stomach is a clearly different feeling to my body telling me it needs energy. I can go all day on an empty stomach. It doesn't remotely bother me. When my body needs energy though, I endeavor to give it some.

You're going to have to specify how this differs from just continuing to eating exactly what you're currently eating. Are we talking eating exactly as before, just working out?

I presumed it was common knowledge. Basically, all food is assigned a point value, based on a formula which considers fat, fiber, carbs and maybe some other stuff. You get X number of points a day and you can earn more points via exercise. Each week you get a certain pool of extra points, for a meal out, or a tub of ice cream, or whatever. You don't have to cut anything out, but obviously something like a bar of chocolate might be all your points for the day, so you'll be discouraged from stuffing your face. Included as part of the whole thing is a weekly weigh in, and support meetings.

Septimius

Are v8s bad as well?

They're just not good. Things don't work as well together as they do in whole vegetables as they do when they're juiced. Vitamins are volatile, and there's still sugar in these. Less fiber, and high on sodium. I can't recommend it. Especially not over whole vegetables. Whole vegetables fill you up like crazy, too.

FryHole

out of interest what do you guys make of weight watchers, which isn't calorie counting, and doesn't make you cut anything out of your diet? I know many people that had great success with it.

Isn't Weight Watchers just calorie counting at one remove? Like the foods are given points - which are based on calories - and you're allowed x amount of points a day? Or has it changed? I know a few people who had success with it, but none kept it off.

teeny

Yes, it's scary the way people think it's a healthy addition to your breakfast, when it's anything but. It's all the unhealthy parts of a fruit with barely none of the healthy parts. Sure, minerals can withstand stuff, but my understanding with vitamins are that they're so volatile that they decay within an hour after you make the juice. Anything you juice or press should be consumed right away, so something that's been on a shelf for a week really can't contain that much healthy stuff.

A tip for your girlfriend is half a lemon's worth of juice in a liter of water. My girlfriend loves it, and it's up there with water. It's even supported as a "cleansing drink" without that really meaning anything.

The problem is twofold, because not only does fructose in combination with other sugar increase the need for insulin, but fructose itself is dangerous.

I even found the documentary which goes into great detail about how much of a poison fructose really is:
Sugar - the bitter truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Thanks for the doc, Ill check it out once Im home from work.

Thanks for the tip. I did a wee bit of googling and saw some recipes for other flavoured waters, which Im going ask her to try.

muu

calorie density is a biggie, sure.

but do people really find it that hard to differentiate between hungry and empty? I'm not asking rhetorically. I don't struggle with this personally... but to me an empty stomach is a clearly different feeling to my body telling me it needs energy. I can go all day on an empty stomach. It doesn't remotely bother me. When my body needs energy though, I endeavor to give it some.

Accessibility and the lack of desire to not eat, if you will. If left alone with a stack of Pringles I will kill it in a day or two. At least the solution is simple, you don't stock any in the house.

Violater

Better than cereal. I wouldnt consider it horrible, but its not good. You gota cut it though if you are going low carb and not just cutting grain and sugar. If you dont want to cook eggs, just go with plain, full fat greek yogurt and throw some fruit on top

I usually have a spaced out breakfast in the morning
7:30am 3 egg whites with a bowl of oatmeal
9:am Banana
10:am Greek Yogurt with raisin ganola sprinkles

Isn't Weight Watchers just calorie counting at one remove? Like the foods are given points - which are based on calories - and you're allowed x amount of points a day? Or has it changed? I know a few people who had success with it, but none kept it off.

the points value have changed, yes. it was never just based off of calories, but the formula now includes carbs, which I don't believe it used to.

you're supposed to keep going to get weighed in at least once a month, and you're supposed to keep sticking to your weekly points after you've hit your target weight (and your weekly points change once you do).

not keeping it off, isn't really a failing of the method used to lose weight though is it? I mean if I lose a bunch of weight via cutting certain foods out of my diet and then I start eating them again when I reach my goal, I'm not going to keep it off.

Septimius

I presumed it was common knowledge. Basically, all food is assigned a point value, based on a formula which considers fat, fiber, carbs and maybe some other stuff. You get X number of points a day and you can earn more points via exercise. Each week you get a certain pool of extra points, for a meal out, or a tub of ice cream, or whatever. You don't have to cut anything out, but obviously something like a bar of chocolate might be all your points for the day, so you'll be discouraged from stuffing your face. Included as part of the whole thing is a weekly weigh in, and support meetings.

So it's eating less? We're not surprised by eating less meaning losing weight. It's about why most of these people that do these things rebound, and why it happens. We're hungrier because we're fatter - eating less doesn't reduce that.

teeny

Could someone please give some tips on weight maintenance? As I am slowly approaching my major goal, I'm becoming more and more stressed on what I can do to balance my weight. It would suck to pile it all back on after the progress I have made, and the Christmas break proved to me how simple it was to slip into bad habits.

Anyway, I'm not really following a specific diet (though I know many of you guys are low carbers). I have cut the most offensive sugars and a lot of the carbs, but I have a lack of control over some of my meals (whilst they aren't necessarily bad for you, my parents see no harm in rice, bread, pasta, ect ect, so that is what I get).

I currently average at about 1500 calories a day, do about an hour of cardio three days a week and some light weight lifting 3 days a week (still working up the courage to do this properly).

Random online calculator says my intake should be 2700ish calories a day (23 y/o, 6ft, male), which just seems ridiculously high. When the time comes, do I simply increase consumption to the relevant levels?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but it does seem as if the topic has deviated somewhat.

Septimius

You'll find a higher density of people with knowledge over in the fitness thread. I'd try there. Generally, as long as you don't slip back into bad habits, eating more will be safe.

So it's eating less? We're not surprised by eating less meaning losing weight. It's about why most of these people that do these things rebound, and why it happens. We're hungrier because we're fatter - eating less doesn't reduce that.
I don't know that most weight watchers rebound. The point system is designed to encourage healthier choices, and it's combined with a sort of group counseling and coaching system to teach people better eating habits too.

Losing weight, by your logic, reduces hunger. If you quit doing what you did to get to that lower weight, you're going to put it back on, but if it gets you there...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/weight-watchers-works-study-says_n_954120.html

I'm sure that the support group part of it is a big reason for it being more successful than anything involving pure self discipline.

Again, I'm not being a dick when I ask this because I have no trouble at all telling the difference between needing energy and just having an empty stomach, and having an empty stomach doesn't bother me at all. Am I a rare snowflake in that regard?

Could someone please give some tips on weight maintenance? As I am slowly approaching my major goal, I'm becoming more and more stressed on what I can do to balance my weight. It would suck to pile it all back on after the progress I have made, and the Christmas break proved to me how simple it was to slip into bad habits.

Anyway, I'm not really following a specific diet (though I know many of you guys are low carbers). I have cut the most offensive sugars and a lot of the carbs, but I have a lack of control over some of my meals (whilst they aren't necessarily bad for you, my parents see no harm in rice, bread, pasta, ect ect, so that is what I get).

I currently average at about 1500 calories a day, do about an hour of cardio three days a week and some light weight lifting 3 days a week (still working up the courage to do this properly).

Random online calculator says my intake should be 2700ish calories a day (23 y/o, 6ft, male), which just seems ridiculously high. When the time comes, do I simply increase consumption to the relevant levels?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but it does seem as if the topic has deviated somewhat.
my advice? get a good pair of scales and weigh yourself daily. if you go above your goal, do whatever it was that worked for you for a few days until you get back there... and don't get out of the habit of weighing yourself. it'll keep you honest.

FryHole

not keeping it off, isn't really a failing of the method used to lose weight though is it? I mean if I lose a bunch of weight via cutting certain foods out of my diet and then I start eating them again when I reach my goal, I'm not going to keep it off.

No argument there. You starve yourself and then don't starve yourself, of course the weight will go back on. You lose weight restricting carbs and then stop restricting carbs, of course the weight will go back on. That's no doubt a major reason why low carb works for me - I like these types of food, I'm never hungry, I've got no urge to change back to the old way of eating despite being at my target weight for two years now. Sustainability is a huge factor in successful, long term weight loss - for me low-carb wins because I never have to calorifically restrict myself.

Septimius

I don't know that most weight watchers rebound. The point system is designed to encourage healthier choices, and it's combined with a sort of group counseling and coaching system to teach people better eating habits too.

Losing weight, by your logic, reduces hunger. If you quit doing what you did to get to that lower weight, you're going to put it back on, but if it gets you there...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/weight-watchers-works-study-says_n_954120.html

I'm sure that the support group part of it is a big reason for it being more successful than anything involving pure self discipline.

Again, I'm not being a dick when I ask this because I have no trouble at all telling the difference between needing energy and just having an empty stomach, and having an empty stomach doesn't bother me at all. Am I a rare snowflake in that regard?

This is about the hormonal response system for hunger. There are tons of documentaries and papers on this, and how leptin and fat-cells work with your feeling of hunger, and how the hard part is really keeping the weight, not losing it.

If you have to keep on a diet to keep your weight, most people would kill themselves. It's about not dieting, but altering your diet into something you can keep up forever. Fuck the speed of losing weight, focus on the maintainablilty.

teeny

You'll find a higher density of people with knowledge over in the fitness thread. I'd try there. Generally, as long as you don't slip back into bad habits, eating more will be safe.

Ok, will do. Thanks.

my advice? get a good pair of scales and weigh yourself daily. if you go above your goal, do whatever it was that worked for you for a few days until you get back there... and don't get out of the habit of weighing yourself. it'll keep you honest.

Sounds like a good plan, though I thought weighing daily was discouraged due to normal fluctuations? I currently weigh myself weekly, but if it is better to do daily, then I may switch.

FryHole

No, I was able to tell the difference between hunger and an empty stomach - and I was always hungry. It was like an persistent itch in the brain, no chance of ignoring it for long. Nowadays I'll cheerfully skip lunch entirely if I'm busy at work - while weight loss ultimately comes down to calories, just the change in my appetite suggests to me that low-carb has a beneficial endocrinological effect.

Septimius

Ok, will do. Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan, though I thought weighing daily was discouraged due to normal fluctuations? I currently weigh myself weekly, but if it is better to do daily, then I may switch.

When you're at your desired weight, there's no reason to weigh yourself daily. You can't tell anything by it. You won't be able to tell if you ate 5 pizzas or bag of chips, which might result in the same "weight gain" by fat from eating 5 pizzas or the salt from the chips retaining water. Don't fret if you gain a pound or two. But the day you've gained 5 over your goal, you know you're going the wrong direction.

Zoe

As long as you understand there's a normal variance day to day, there's nothing bad about weighing yourself daily. I have a fat/water % scale though which make for more interesting numbers.

FryHole

It is not metabolized in a similar way to glucose. Glucose can be used by mitochondria in every cell in the body. Fructose has to be processed by the liver to pyruvate, which goes to the mitochondria. A byproduct of which is xylulose-5-phosphate, which in turn activates de novo lipogenesis (making of new fat)

From Sugar - the bitter truth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=player_detailpage#t=3641s

To be fair, that post by Feinman was written as a critique of Lustig, so we may end up going in circles here. But fructose doesn't have to be processed to pyruvate, it can also be converted to glycogen. Feinman's point is that the detrimental effects of fructose are felt in the context of a high carb diet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So if you just drink a glass of juice, that's not causing anything on insulin. But if you eat bread and drink juice, or even worse, sugary cereals and drinking juice, then you're speeding up your road to insulin resistance by a lot.

Every time I have a glass of OJ it's in the morning with either cereal, toast, or both. That alone might explain the little spare tire I'm carrying around.

Welp thats a change I'm making. Lots of changes to my diet this month. It's kind of exciting, like a big science experiment that I'm eager to see what the results of will be.

bigsnack

I think both principles come in to play (calories in/out, removing refined carbs and eating fattier foods). Since fattier foods leave you feeling fuller for longer periods of time, you end up eating fewer total calories in a day anyway. That seems like a pretty gentle combination of the theories, correct?

By the way, for the person that asked, the only side effect I have experienced has been a bit of brain fog in the first couple of days. That has cleared up now and I feel great. What is weird is that my muscles are actually getting bigger, and I don't even work out! My sex drive has increased immensely also. I've seen lots of positives and no significant negatives.

Dash27

tl;dr: Want to hear what works, what doesn't, and get some tips on going at it. Much appreciated in advance.

What works is what is not only effective but sustainable. For me I find whole foods make it much easier for me to eat until full and not gain fat. Sugar, bread, pasta, cereals dont keep me full for long and make it much easier to over eat (more calories in than out).

Biggest hurdle for me is making sure i have good food easily available. The thing I've found about grains, cereals, pasta, bread, sugar etc is that they are everywhere and super easy to get your hands on. Many of the "better" foods all seem to require cooking or some prep work generally speaking. So make sure you're prepared.

As for working out, save any starchy carbs for around that time. Before and after. Sweet potatoes, wild rice, stuff like that. Just eat in moderation.

Piecake

Pulling a 180 on this one, as I think previously (maybe even in this thread) I've expressed some disinterest in this method.

I'm going to pull the plug and start this up next week. Looking for some options on sensibility (I'm not fostering any illusion that balls to the wall will be successful, given my life circumstances right now), along the lines of....

1) What's good to cut first?
As it stands, I eat nonfat yogurt, some chips (rare, as in once every few weeks), beer (OH GOD BEER), very low soda. Once every two or three weeks I'll hit up Buffalo Wild Wings with a few friends (but that's probably not going to change). My dinners need to get cleaned up, as my mother in law does lots of the cooking (she lives with us), and uses butter like it's fucking water.

2) Working out
I work out 2 - 3 times a week, pretty damn hard. Recently my basement has undergone some...cleaning, so that's changed to 1 - 2 times a week. Getting out to the gym is a challenge, as I have two young children, both of whom I'm responsible for in the morning.

3) Biggest unanticipated hurdles
I definitely want to hear some (and I'll read through the thread in detail, but feel free to share) any roadblocks that you didn't see coming. Success stories about overcoming a challenge are always good to read and learn from.

Nothing wrong with butter. butter good (margarine evil). Also, i would switch your yogurt to full fat plain greek yogurt.

Basically, cut the junk food (sugar and sugary drinks first), cut grain (processed carbs arent good), and eat real food. avoid non-fat, low fat shit. You want fat, and it tastes better

I know it's a carb and generally to be avoided, but how do flour tortillas rank? Family went out to a burger joint today and I opted for the fajitas rather than burger and fries. Their fajitas are pretty tame -- grilled steak, barely grilled onions and peppers, cheese and sour cream to the side (I skipped the sour cream). I'm trying, at least, I guess. =/

GatorBait

I know it's a carb and generally to be avoided, but how do flour tortillas rank? Family went out to a burger joint today and I opted for the fajitas rather than burger and fries. Their fajitas are pretty tame -- grilled steak, barely grilled onions and peppers, cheese and sour cream to the side (I skipped the sour cream). I'm trying, at least, I guess. =/

Processed white flour tortillas? Pretty crappy.

You would've had a great meal there if you just tossed the tortillas and ate everything else: steak, onions, peppers, and a moderate amount of sour cream and cheese on top.

Processed white flour tortillas? Pretty crappy.

You would've had a great meal there if you just tossed the tortillas and ate everything else: steak, onions, peppers, and a moderate amount of sour cream and cheese on top.

Ok, will toss them next time. Wasn't sure where I stood with those -- been avoiding the obvious breads but I'll avoid these too. Thanks! At least I stuck to my water and unsweetened tea only pledge during that meal as well, and didn't succumb to any fries. =)

GatorBait

Ok, will toss them next time. Wasn't sure where I stood with those -- been avoiding the obvious breads but I'll avoid these too. Thanks! At least I stuck to my water and unsweetened tea only pledge during that meal as well, and didn't succumb to any fries. =)

No problem. Happy to help!

When it comes to restaurants, I've found you can eat relatively well if you toss pretty much any processed carbs. (E.g. Toss the burger bun and see if you can get some veggies instead of fries, and you've got yourself a meal that you don't have to feel guilty about.)

Schlep

Flour tortillas aren't too great for you. Corn tortillas aren't quite as bad, and I refuse to give them up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They're just not good. Things don't work as well together as they do in whole vegetables as they do when they're juiced. Vitamins are volatile, and there's still sugar in these. Less fiber, and high on sodium. I can't recommend it. Especially not over whole vegetables. Whole vegetables fill you up like crazy, too.

Agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying but there is indeed a low sodium variant of V8.

bigweather let's do this, together. big bros getting smaller.. we can do it.

Yup, we can! It's a lifestyle change, for sure, but one that I'm not seeing any downside (other than weight, haha) doing.

January 3rd - 336, January 7th - 326.

I know that rate won't continue, and that I had a toooooon of excess weight to easily trim, but duh-amn. Totally cut out non-water, non-unsweet tea other than one glass of skim milk for dinner (used to be four to five glasses a night). Reduced dairy in general, and avoided sugar and carbs as much as possible, eliminating cereal at breakfast completely and replacing it with eggs and the odd serving of bacon here and there. Also stuck to three meals with no snacking -- I know that three meals isn't required or even optimal, but keeping it to rigid points prevents me from grazing all day, helps control intake for now at least.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I know I'm not doing it perfectly, but I'm trying to at least follow the spirit of the lifestyle change.

Septimius

To be fair, that post by Feinman was written as a critique of Lustig, so we may end up going in circles here. But fructose doesn't have to be processed to pyruvate, it can also be converted to glycogen. Feinman's point is that the detrimental effects of fructose are felt in the context of a high carb diet.

Sounds reasonable. I'll most definitely check out Feinman's work! Thanks

Agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying but there is indeed a low sodium variant of V8.

I'm sure - I have no experience with V8, so I just looked up its nutritional facts, and that stood out to me.

BigWeather said:
Thanks for all of the advice so far. I know I'm not doing it perfectly, but I'm trying to at least follow the spirit of the lifestyle change.

You lost 10lbs last week. The only thing you can say anything on is watch out not to lose weight that quickly much longer. 5 lbs is about the considered maximum healthy amount to lose per week. Remember, you have big muscles under there. Carrying weight is a lot of work, so don't lose the muscle when losing weight.

FireCloud

I've been managing my diet for the last 6 months by weighing myself daily. The thing to remember is that there will be minor fluctuations on a fairly regular basis. You want to look at the trend of weight loss/gain over time instead of only considering any one day's weight.

For example, go out and have sushi for dinner? Eat it with soy sauce (regular or low sodium)? Well it is very likely that you'll see a small amount of weight "gain" when weighing in the morning due to water retention caused by the soy sauce and rice. It isn't nice to think about but you have to consider the food in your digestive system; the amount of which can change quite a bit from day to day based on what you eat. Some foods retain more water, some may run right through you, etc. (At least this has been my experience)

I know right where you are coming from when you talk about being nervous on switching from a weight loss plan to a maintenance one. I still have a ways to go before I have to cross that bridge but I know it will be difficult for me to switch gears. I plan on continuing my daily weighing as a way to monitor my maintenance. I'll most likely set high and low watermarks around my goal weight for when I need to take action and switch back in to weight loss or gain mode.

If you haven't done so, read the Hacker's Diet as it gives a fairly good description of this thermostat-like way of monitoring your weight and achieving some semblance of equilibrium.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html

Again, you want to look at loss/gain trend over time even though you are taking daily measurements. I actually track my progress using a free Android app call Libra. It calculates the trend over a period of time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra

This week's weigh-in: 321, last week was 326 from an original weight of 336.

I feel pretty good about this past week. I strayed once, when I ordered refried beans mixed in with my lettuce / grilled steak / pico / cheese (carb-less fajita taco salad, basically) when out the other night (my family loves to go out for Mexican every week). Not only were they not good for me, but I was annoyed that the beans clung to everything and dampened the taste so that everything tasted like beans. Surprised I never noticed that before. I've been snacking a little between meals as needed, but always just a couple of strawberries or blueberries (nothing added).

Ristlager

Bread is not the evil thing here, I just don't see how anyone could think that bread is making people fat. Is it the best diet to loosing weight, probably not, but claiming it to be bad is just crazy talk. Same with potatoes and rise. If you live a normal life with exercise and don't just sitt on your ass the rest of the time, eating normal plates of these dishes is not bad for you. Its the abuse of candy/take out/fast food which has made the public obese.

If you are overweight, due to little training and a previously shitty diet, I would probably recommend starting on a low carb diet. But after your lifestyle has changed and you have reached your goal, it is not bad to eat homemade bread. From I was 10 until my early 20s I probably ate 15 pieces of bread each day. I didn't like most of my mothers dinners, so I ate 4-5 slices instead. Now I eat a normal dinner, so I have cut it down to 10 slices. I have never been overweight, very skinny as a teenager, but I have allways been modest about cakes and the likes.

Dash27

From I was 10 until my early 20s I probably ate 15 pieces of bread each day. I didn't like most of my mothers dinners, so I ate 4-5 slices instead. Now I eat a normal dinner, so I have cut it down to 10 slices. I have never been overweight, very skinny as a teenager, but I have allways been modest about cakes and the likes.

How old are you now?

Up til my mid 20's I ate anything and everything and never gained any fat. Now I can stay lean but I have to work at it.

You have scared me shitless. My girlfriend drinks almost nothing but orange juice and diet fizzy. She hates the way water tastes (yes, really), and doesn't like tea / any hot drinks. I'm going to use your post to try and shock her into drinking water consistently, at least.

I am the same way. I now keep a bottle of lime juice in my fridge. A few drops into a glass of water gives it a hint of citrus and is quite refreshing. :)

Jado

Banned
How old are you now?

Up til my mid 20's I ate anything and everything and never gained any fat. Now I can stay lean but I have to work at it.

Same here, except I'm not lean at all anymore (although slowly making my way back there). It varies, but this guy is in for a nasty surprise when he gets to his late 20s/early 30s.

About fruit... I've turned to blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries as a snack and to curb sweet cravings. I know that despite berries being probably the best fruit to eat (in terms of lower sugar and high nutritional value) that there's still a bit of sugar. How much would be too much? I'm eating probably 8 to 10 ounces (just under a pint) a day. Too much?

Piecake

About fruit... I've turned to blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries as a snack and to curb sweet cravings. I know that despite berries being probably the best fruit to eat (in terms of lower sugar and high nutritional value) that there's still a bit of sugar. How much would be too much? I'm eating probably 8 to 10 ounces (just under a pint) a day. Too much?

thats fine. I wouldnt worry about curbing fruit unless you arent able to maintain your weight or have been losing weight, but have plateaued for a long while

Thanks for the advice. Still losing weight at a decent clip, and it has kept me from cheating and eating sweets (plus I genuinely love berries) so I'll keep at it. Thanks.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just finished watching Fat Head on Netflix...very interesting and informative. I had bacon and eggs fried in bacon fat this morning for breakfast!

My only issue with the hypothesis presented in this film is this...

A professor lost 27 pounds on nothing but Twinkies

He's pure calorie counting here, using nothing but carbs/sugar. Fat Head asserts it isn't as simple as calories in/calories out.

Dash27

Two things, at the end of the day it really is calories in/out but the question is what does your body do with those calories. Is the food satiating, do you store it or burn it etc.

Second on that twinkie diet he wasnt only eating carbs:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/11/16/the-twinkie-diet/

As a percent of daily calories, it works out to:

Fat: 38%
Carbohydrate: 47%
Protein: 15%

Now, 173 grams of carbohydrate per day certainly isn’t low, but it’s not high either. Depending on whose figures you use, that’s about half as many carbohydrates as an average American male consumes per day. It’s also at least 1,000 fewer daily calories than an average male consumes. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that Professor Haub lost weight on a “Twinkie Diet” that is actually moderate in carbohydrates and very low in calories. I’d lose weight on that diet, too. (I’d hate it, but I’d lose weight.)

Not sure you guys want me to keep my weekly weight admission here or not, but since I started here and haven't been told to stop...

319 this week. From 336 -> 326 -> 321 -> 319.

Progress, but a bit less than I hoped for. I'm going to try cutting back a little bit on serving size and on the fruit (I ate quite a bit of fruit) and see if I can keep it up. I recognize that weight loss is about rapidly diminishing gains, but I was hoping it wasn't this rapid.

FryHole

Not sure you guys want me to keep my weekly weight admission here or not, but since I started here and haven't been told to stop...

319 this week. From 336 -> 326 -> 321 -> 319.

Progress, but a bit less than I hoped for. I'm going to try cutting back a little bit on serving size and on the fruit (I ate quite a bit of fruit) and see if I can keep it up. I recognize that weight loss is about rapidly diminishing gains, but I was hoping it wasn't this rapid.

No need to start tinkering yet mate - if you're anything like me you'll have some weeks where hardly anything happens, then others where there's a sudden burst of weight loss, all without changing a thing. My losses near the start went like this

6lbs > 4 > 1.5 > 2.5 > 2 > 2.75 > 0.75 > 0.25 > 3.25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom