• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash27

Wow great job. Were you counting calories or just trying to stick to paleo food?

A snack I've been eating a lot:

1 or 2 Deli roasted turkey slices
1 slice provolone cheese
1/2 pickle spear (dill)

Just wrap the pickle halves with the turkey and cheese. Low carb, no sugar. It's not paleo because of the cheese but it is primal. Just eat cheese "in moderation" and go for a quality product not velveeta processed stuff.

Get dill pickles as they have no sugar added. Check the label. Mine are Vlasic Kosher Dill Spears.

Dina

I'm trying to map out a 30 day Paleo diet for myself and considering making another topic on that to document what I eat and any changes I see.

Nice good job!

If you want to, can you make that paleo diet public or sharable through something like Google Docs? I'll also be interested in the thread.

lupinko

Wow great job. Were you counting calories or just trying to stick to paleo food?

Thanks, I did a combination of sticking to the paleo diet, counting calories and moderate exercise (2-3 times/week). I also took up drinking green tea since energy drinks and coffee are now out of the equation. It's been really hard that I've given up sugars/grain/legumes/dairy, but some of the alternatives that I've taken up (like Almond milk over regular 2% milk) are actually a huge improvement for me.

I start swimming this weekend, so that will become part of my current workout regiment going forward. I'm also looking to start Krav Maga later this month too. How I will juggle all of this with a part-time job and full-time university (but it's my last semester!) is beyond me. lol

Anyway my goal will be getting down to 160lbs by the end of this, I'm currently 190lbs (I was originally 215lbs before, trying to go lean and have an athletic build). Basically I want to be in excellent shape before I leave for Japan later this year. And I'm looking at this as more of a lifestyle change too.

So yeah, just going along with this, but I will say not having cheesecake for new years sucked tho.

Thanks, I did a combination of sticking to the paleo diet, counting calories and moderate exercise (2-3 times/week). I also took up drinking green tea since energy drinks and coffee are now out of the equation. It's been really hard that I've given up sugars/grain/legumes/dairy, but some of the alternatives that I've taken up (like Almond milk over regular 2% milk) are actually a huge improvement for me.

I start swimming this weekend, so that will become part of my current workout regiment going forward. I'm also looking to start Krav Maga later this month too. How I will juggle all of this with a part-time job and full-time university (but it's my last semester!) is beyond me. lol

Anyway my goal will be getting down to 160lbs by the end of this, I'm currently 190lbs (I was originally 215lbs before, trying to go lean and have an athletic build). Basically I want to be in excellent shape before I leave for Japan later this year. And I'm looking at this as more of a lifestyle change too.

So yeah, just going along with this, but I will say not having cheesecake for new years sucked tho.

you will lose weight in Japan if you haven't taken it all off by then. Japan does not have anything approach the weight problem that the US or UK have. good food, cycling and walking friendly cities. a friend of mine who was fairly overweight went to Japan for a year and came back skinny. he's fairly overweight again now. he loved the food over there, so it wasn't that he didn't eat.

Congratulations on your progress though!

lupinko

you will lose weight in Japan if you haven't taken it all off by then. Japan does not have anything approach the weight problem that the US or UK have. good food, cycling and walking friendly cities. a friend of mine who was fairly overweight went to Japan for a year and came back skinny. he's fairly overweight again now. he loved the food over there, so it wasn't that he didn't eat.

Yeah I figured that, but I want to be athletic and fit, so not just skinny or whatever.

So this is as much weight loss as it is also muscle building.

Dash27

As for building muscle and being lean, I was pretty lean at around 172 lbs. Did Starting Strength for about 5 months, ate a lot very much on purpose and went up to 200 lbs. I'm now cutting down to see where lean currently is for me. I'm guessing around 180-185.

I've been eating Paleo/Primal for about 4 days now and lost 5 lbs so far. I want to go slow and steady, keep lifting heavy to keep the muscle I gained.

lupinko

The only drawback to paleo is the dreadful constipation, which I guess is not so dreadful since paleo's constipation is different since you do not suffer from bloating or gassiness. Just annoying though, but could also be because the body is still trying to adapt to it.

FryHole

The only drawback to paleo is the dreadful constipation, which I guess is not so dreadful since paleo's constipation is different since you do not suffer from bloating or gassiness. Just annoying though, but could also be because the body is still trying to adapt to it.

Never had any problems there with a paleo-ish diet, are you hardcore, no dairy, lean meat/fruit/nuts/veg paleo? I get most calories from fat, which probably helps.

bdouble

Yeah that doesn't sound right. You probably need to increase fat or something.

What do you guys think about coffee? I drink a cup or two a day, no sugar or milk. I have read mixed opinions on it, so I am not really sure if its ok to drink.

diamount

Banned
What do you guys think about coffee? I drink a cup or two a day, no sugar or milk. I have read mixed opinions on it, so I am not really sure if its ok to drink.

Why'd you start drinking coffee in the first place? For a pick-me-up, or do you just like it? Because if it was because you are tired then this diet kinda makes that pointless as you really shouldn't be lacking in energy.

FryHole

I'd say drink it if you like it, otherwise no. Life is way too short to agonise over every detail!

Edit: to elaborate - there are studies showing health benefits, and others showing detrimental effects. Some of these are tests solely of caffeine, not coffee, and some are testing pharmaceutical doses in non-humans. Basically, you can't make anything approaching an informed conclusion (as with so many dietary components), so if you like coffee, go for it.

Why'd you start drinking coffee in the first place? For a pick-me-up, or do you just like it? Because if it was because you are tired then this diet kinda makes that pointless as you really shouldn't be lacking in energy.

I just love the taste, and smell of coffee is amazing in my opinion. I do drink tea some days to switch it up as well.

But no, I do not drink it for energy, its just purely for taste.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Its a life saver if you have a shit nights sleep.

grumble

Out of curiosity, do most people in this thread also exercise regularly? And I mean fairly heavy exercise, like weightlifting, some conditioning activity, play a sport, go for runs, etc. Exercise will do wonders that fine-tuning your diet will not; not just via a straight caloric burn, though that obviously matters, but through the metabolic, hormonal, and other chemical changes that have your body performing as it was evolved to do. For example, a healthy male who can't bench press 135lbs has bigger priorities than whether they use low-carb/paleo/mediterranean/zone/etc to lose weight.

Dash27

Interesting thoughts on low carb and Paleo from Robb Wolf. This is along the lines of calories in calories out vrs what kind of calories they are.

http://robbwolf.com/2012/12/19/carb-paleo-thoughts-part-1/

I’d cut carbs…but to no effect on body composition. Slowly I realized, both by experimentation and by really looking at the literature: CALORIES MATTERED MORE THAN CARBS FOR BODY-COMP.

I have to say this was a pretty big shake-up for me. I’d assumed one could eat as much fat as one desired and STILL get leaner. As I mentioned above, when I first started eating LC, or more specifically, cyclic low carb (CLC) I was leaner than ever in my life. I know based on blood work and fat deposition that I had insulin resistance while vegan, and CLC helped with this immensely, but it was my new-found energy and activity level that drove my leanness, not an inability to store fat in the absence of significant insulin. I think this is one of the most damaging messages that comes out of the LC camp to this day, I was duped by this, so I’m not going to do what a lot of other recovered LC writers do and make folks out to be idiots for still believing this…but, it is time to face facts. In every damn study it is clear that for fat loss we’d like adequate protein, and a calorie restriction scenario. LC is fantastic for this in that one typically feels satisfied on high protein, moderate fat, loads of veggies. If one is insulin resistant, this approach can be nothing short of miraculous. HOWEVER! If one manages to cram enough cheese, olive oil and grass-fed butter down the pie-hole, this is in fact, a “mass gain” diet.

LC is fantastic for the insulin resistant individual, as it addresses both glycemic load and satiety. But if one manages to bypass normal satiety mechanisms, or if one can find some combinations of highly palatable, but low-carb foods, it’s still a ticket to Fat Camp.

Dash27

How plausible is this diet for a vegetarian?

I'm honestly not sure. I think the real key to paleo is staying away from sugars, heavily processed foods and grains. I'm not even sold on the grains unless you're intolerant to them but I am sold on staying away from refined stuff like bagels and pasta in large quantities. There are vegetarian paleo sites out there but I'm not familiar with them.

Out of curiosity, do most people in this thread also exercise regularly? And I mean fairly heavy exercise, like weightlifting, some conditioning activity, play a sport, go for runs, etc. Exercise will do wonders that fine-tuning your diet will not; not just via a straight caloric burn, though that obviously matters, but through the metabolic, hormonal, and other chemical changes that have your body performing as it was evolved to do. For example, a healthy male who can't bench press 135lbs has bigger priorities than whether they use low-carb/paleo/mediterranean/zone/etc to lose weight.

Yes mostly strength work now but I also do high intensity stuff. Usually cycles. I agree with what I think you're getting at though. I believe in eating good food and exercise. You can play with the details but doing those two things... throw in get enough sleep too... and you will have positive results.

maxxpower

If you're talking about paleo, then I don't know how it would work for a vegetarian since it does include meat eating.

It is after all the caveman diet.

Yeah and I think grains are not allowed so I don't know where he/she would get their protein from.

mr stroke

Close to impossible, my wife tried it while being a Vegitairan and couldn't make it past a couple weeks. Typical Vegitarians eat a ton of bread, pasta, and fruit which is out the window with Paleo. Not a lot of food choices.

Amazingly my wife stopped being a Vegitarian after that and decided to start eating meat again.

bdouble

Can't do it with no source of protein. You don't want to eat meat but in paleo most breakdowns of calories come in at about 30% protein 30% fat and 60% carbs (veg, fruit, nuts, seeds). Plus you can't get the protein from soy and other vegetarian sources.

ch0mp

I think it would be tough but do-able. There is some good resources and articles out there. I had scrambled eggs with potato hash and an apple for breakfast today. Not a vegetarian but I don't eat meat with every meal.

Close to impossible, my wife tried it while being a Vegitairan and couldn't make it past a couple weeks. Typical Vegitarians eat a ton of bread, pasta, and fruit which is out the window with Paleo. Not a lot of food choices.

Amazingly my wife stopped being a Vegitarian after that and decided to start eating meat again.
Since when is fruit not paleo? wtf?

diamount

Banned
I just love the taste, and smell of coffee is amazing in my opinion. I do drink tea some days to switch it up as well.

Go for it then, if you don't have any sugar or milk then it shouldn't be a problem.

bdouble

Some say coffee is ok some say no. I say it depends on the coffee. If its organic and fresh what a Dave Asprey a guyn the slow carb community says then its all great. He claimes most studies witb coffee bejng negative is due to the mold and mytotoxins that can buils up of the beans are roasted fresh.

Bulletproofexec.com

Check it put he combines his coffee beams with grass fed butter and coconut oil and then blends it. Basically giving you a good dose of energy and all essencial amino acids first thing in the mornin and satiating for a good few hours.
Carbs are teh enemy
Not fruit though. You can eat 2-3 servings a day.

Not fruit though. You can eat 2-3 servings a day.
I know that; but the trend I've noticed is that paleo folks have gotten so gung-ho about carbs that fruits must be eaten with ultimate moderation to stay in precious ketosis.

All silly, in my opinion. Carbs from some blueberries are totally different than carbs from a soda or bread.

diamount

Banned
No fruits is a bit too excessive imo. There are plenty of nutrients in them. Unlike pasta and bread.

The way I see it you can replace chocolate with fruit but if you're losing weight then you wouldn't indulge just like with c chocolate because of the sugar.

freddy

Banned
Just some tips for those who want to lose some weight from someone who lost over 35kg(~95 lbs). I've kept this weight off for over 6 years now. If they help someone, then great.

- Eat as healthy as you can. A couple of cheat meals a week will help at the start. Later you won't even need them as your palate will probably adapt, but you can have these forever if you eat healthy the majority of the time.

- Exercise whenever possible AFTER meals even if its a small walk or doing dishes. It gets the circulation going and kickstarts the digestion process. I've seen too many people go for a jog or power walk and come back with kfc and coke and sit for the rest of the night. Might as well not even exercise. Side bonus is you will meet people if you exercise around the neighbourhood. Say hi. Make eye contact.

-Teach yourself to chew your food at least 10 times. The less time it takes for your body to break down food particles the faster your metabolism generally gets. I watched a lot of skinny people who are huge eaters and a lot of them chew food like rabbits.

-Stop eating shit with preservatives in it. It slows your metabolism down IMO. Not real sure on this one. Some dieticians books I've read say the same thing but it can't hurt at any rate.

H2Yo

001-6.jpg

Mmmmm... Raw Chicken with Vegetables. Can't wait for that salmonella to kick in!

010-3.jpg

Should have soaked the skewers in water for 15 minutes before grilling to prevent the charred ends.

Zoe

J- Exercise whenever possible AFTER meals even if its a small walk or doing dishes. It gets the circulation going and kickstarts the digestion process. I've seen too many people go for a jog or power walk and come back with kfc and coke and sit for the rest of the night. Might as well not even exercise. Side bonus is you will meet people if you exercise around the neighbourhood. Say hi. Make eye contact.

That's because they're eating junk food--not because they're eating after working out. Many people agree that post-workout is the best time to eat (especially protein).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
FAT HEAD documentary, good watch:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879

My girlfriend and I just watched this movie last night, very informative. We are "adjusting" our diets this year, call it a New Year's Resolution, lol. And what we've decided to do pretty much fits right in line with the message of this movie. Basically, to start, we are just going to eat mostly high protein and fat and limit all sugars and carbs to very low. Not doing a hardcore Atkins or even Paleo, but following the spirit of both. A few of our new rules:

- cutting out bread, except for when we go out for a burger or a hoagie (four times a month max)
- limiting pasta and to once a week
- we are officially on a cake / cookie / baked goods strike
- eating lots of chicken, fish, fruits, and vegetables, nuts, berries
- cutting back cereal for breakfast to a few days a week (all natural cereals only), but taking the time to make oatmeal, eggs, and bacon a few times per week
- we aren't buying anything with HFCS in it, absolutely nothing

On top of this we are going to exercise at least 2-3 times per week. That will go up during summer months as we like to go hiking, kayaking, and biking. Neither of us are fat, but we both have a little extra weight on us, and our goal is to get into serious beach shape before the warm months come around.

Personally, I just want to eat more healthy and cut out the processed food and starchy crap. And if I happen to lose some weight, all the better.

Dash27

I know that; but the trend I've noticed is that paleo folks have gotten so gung-ho about carbs that fruits must be eaten with ultimate moderation to stay in precious ketosis.

All silly, in my opinion. Carbs from some blueberries are totally different than carbs from a soda or bread.

I agree with this. I dont believe in staying in ketosis or even needing to be in it in the first place. Some people tend to take things too far. I think you need carbs if you're going to be athletic. What you dont need is refined, highly processed, heavily sweetened food.

If I'm at 10% bodyfat and trying to hit 7 or 8%, then yeah I'll moderate fruit heavily or eliminate them altogether. But generally speaking I'm not worried about a few blackberries. In fact I have some for lunch today.

If you want to, can you make that paleo diet public or sharable through something like Google Docs? I'll also be interested in the thread.

I will definitely share it. I hope to get some time this week.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
My girlfriend and I just watched this movie last night, very informative. We are "adjusting" our diets this year, call it a New Year's Resolution, lol. And what we've decided to do pretty much fits right in line with the message of this movie. Basically, to start, we are just going to eat mostly high protein and fat and limit all sugars and carbs to very low. Not doing a hardcore Atkins or even Paleo, but following the spirit of both. A few of our new rules:

- cutting out bread, except for when we go out for a burger or a hoagie (four times a month max)
- limiting pasta and to once a week
- we are officially on a cake / cookie / baked goods strike
- eating lots of chicken, fish, fruits, and vegetables, nuts, berries
- cutting back cereal for breakfast to a few days a week (all natural cereals only), but taking the time to make oatmeal, eggs, and bacon a few times per week
- we aren't buying anything with HFCS in it, absolutely nothing

On top of this we are going to exercise at least 2-3 times per week. That will go up during summer months as we like to go hiking, kayaking, and biking. Neither of us are fat, but we both have a little extra weight on us, and our goal is to get into serious beach shape before the warm months come around.

Personally, I just want to eat more healthy and cut out the processed food and starchy crap. And if I happen to lose some weight, all the better.
Sounds good. GOOD LUCK!

Dash27

That's because they're eating junk food--not because they're eating after working out. Many people agree that post-workout is the best time to eat (especially protein).

Yes supposedly if you're looking for hypertrophy it's best to get some protein and carbs ... i want to say glucose, dextrose, whatever... sugar... right after a workout. Some people even get into exact ratios. But these are the kind of miniscule things that although they may have some slight effect it's not what's keeping you from your goals unless you're already at an advanced level.

Futureman

is heating up frozen broccoli in the micro basically pointless?

like what is the nutrient comparison between fresh steamed broccoli, frozen broccoli steamed, and frozen broccoli microwaved??

EDIT: well I did a little google search... and it seems frozen is often times more desirable than fresh. Frozen veggies are flash frozen when they are at the height of their nutrient "richness." Buying something fresh and letting it sit in the fridge for a few days is bad bad bad. Finally an article I found says steaming/microwaving is better than boiling.

I assume frozen is better than canned generally as canned fruits/veggies use preservatives?

Eiolon

Wow, after reading this thread and watching the videos, I guess I am one of the lucky few that have been able to eat all the food in the world and lose weight in the process. In fact, if I want to gain weight the best way for me to do that is to skip a meal... and I already skip breakfast daily.

bigsnack

I'm reading "Good Calories / Bad Calories" now, and watched Fat Head on Youtube about 4 weeks ago.

My wife and I changed our diet the day after watching the movie. No breads, no refined carbs at all. I cheat a little carb-wise with bananas and apples, but she has been even more disciplined than me.

I just have to say that I feel better than I have felt in YEARS. I have been searching for many years to find what bothers my stomach, because it always seemed to be random foods, and it wasn't always a consistent reaction. What is seems to me now, after 3.5 / 4 weeks in, is that the heavy amounts of carbs (rice, huge bowls of cereal in the morning, etc.) were causing my sensitivities to other foods. Egg whites used to destroy my stomach for hours, and now I am eating 3 or 4 eggs every morning without even a hint of discomfort. I could go on and on about how awesome it is, but all I can say is that the movie (and especially the book) have changed my life forever.

My wife and I were not in a position where we needed to lose weight, but I still feel that this is something I will stick to. Heart disease is prevalent in my family history, so I'm not interested in rolling the dice.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm reading "Good Calories / Bad Calories" now, and watched Fat Head on Youtube about 4 weeks ago.

My wife and I changed our diet the day after watching the movie. No breads, no refined carbs at all. I cheat a little carb-wise with bananas and apples, but she has been even more disciplined than me.

I just have to say that I feel better than I have felt in YEARS. I have been searching for many years to find what bothers my stomach, because it always seemed to be random foods, and it wasn't always a consistent reaction. What is seems to me now, after 3.5 / 4 weeks in, is that the heavy amounts of carbs (rice, huge bowls of cereal in the morning, etc.) were causing my sensitivities to other foods. Egg whites used to destroy my stomach for hours, and now I am eating 3 or 4 eggs every morning without even a hint of discomfort. I could go on and on about how awesome it is, but all I can say is that the movie (and especially the book) have changed my life forever.

My wife and I were not in a position where we needed to lose weight, but I still feel that this is something I will stick to. Heart disease is prevalent in my family history, so I'm not interested in rolling the dice.

Two things are going to present huge problems for me: cereal for breakfast, and potatoes.

Cereal is just so damn convenient for breakfast. I'm going to start getting up a bit earlier in the morning in order to allow myself to make oatmeal or eggs and bacon a few days a week, and I'd like to eventually stop buying cereal altogether. That's going to take me some time though I think, more so for my girlfriend.

Now potatoes, I looooovvveeeeee potatoes. For now I'm just going to cut back on my potato eating to twice a week at most. And trust me, that's less than normal for me, lol.

I'm hoping that just a greatly reduced carb intake with a healthy respect for the glycemic index will help me lose body fat. If I'm not seeing good enough results by March then I'm going to make some more hardcore changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom