• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion - Xbox Series X Inside Look

Vasto

Get an exclusive inside look at Watch Dogs: Legion and discover how incredible the game looks on Xbox Series X. Watch Dogs: Legion is now available on Xbox One & Xbox One X. The next gen version of the game will premiere on Xbox Series X, on November 10th.

the resolution of the RT reflections seem to be dialed back a bit on some surfaces from the higher PC settings, which was to be expected, the PC version is crazy with its RT reflections

TBF they still look really good here, too. Particularly in the driving shots and, well, any shots that were at night.

Curious how the Series S version will look in comparison, aside from lower resolution. Mainly the RT, how it'll be implemented on that system. I'm guessing the PS5 version will look pretty much like Series X one but likely upscaled resolution similar to AC Valhalla. Possibly slightly scaled back RT effects too but still pretty much on par I'd figure.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

The IQ looks really good but the way the world looks just seems weird to me.

Yeah was gonna post about IQ being super nice, but the night time scenes seem to have a grey cast over them. I think it may be the result of tonemapping HDR footage to SDR so you see more detail in the shadows/dark areas than SDR can really show so it lowers the overall contrast.

The holograms and lights look very bright and beautiful so hopefully in HDR the nighttime will look even better though.

Pretty excited to try it on next-gen now, ACG got my excited about the systems, feels like Phantom Pain, Breath of the Wild or Hitman in terms of experimentation.

Basically the opposite of the Crowbcat video about the first WD, which was embarrassing for them.

Yeah it looks much better than the current-gen version.
Shame about no performance mode.
Hope this is not cherrypicked.
Good stuff ngl.

Its so cherry picked i almost fell of my seat when i saw. Pretty much every one of us playing this because we got it with our 3080's are in awe how dated and ugly the game looks. They cherry picked the living shit out of this footage - placed it at night, rain, reflections, just a few seconds at the right scenes. The game during the day will look washed out and from 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah was gonna post about IQ being super nice, but the night time scenes seem to have a grey cast over them. I think it may be the result of tonemapping HDR footage to SDR so you see more detail in the shadows/dark areas than SDR can really show so it lowers the overall contrast.

The holograms and lights look very bright and beautiful so hopefully in HDR the nighttime will look even better though.

Pretty excited to try it on next-gen now, ACG got my excited about the systems, feels like Phantom Pain, Breath of the Wild or Hitman in terms of experimentation.

Basically the opposite of the Crowbcat video about the first WD, which was embarrassing for them.

Didnt think about the HDR tone-mapping being a thing. Would make sense. It feels like the detail is kinda all over the place too. Might just be the compression but it felt like to me when a 4K movie has grain removal pumped up to 11.

Banned
TBF they still look really good here, too. Particularly in the driving shots and, well, any shots that were at night.

Curious how the Series S version will look in comparison, aside from lower resolution. Mainly the RT, how it'll be implemented on that system. I'm guessing the PS5 version will look pretty much like Series X one but likely upscaled resolution similar to AC Valhalla. Possibly slightly scaled back RT effects too but still pretty much on par I'd figure.

yes, the reduced resolution I noticed was on distant reflective buildings.
the close by surfaces looked way sharper.
I bet they prioritized shop windows and wet/reflective floors since they are really close to your viewpoint at all times, while the upper parts of a skyscraper are not that in your face and can therefore be low priority.

it does looks nice overall

RoboFu

One of the green rats
looks good , just wished I like those games good enough to spend the money on what would be a tech demo for me. lol

Stuart360

Its so cherry picked i almost fell of my seat when i saw. Pretty much every one of us playing this because we got it with our 3080's are in awe how dated and ugly the game looks. They cherry picked the living shit out of this footage - placed it at night, rain, reflections, just a few seconds at the right scenes. The game during the day will look washed out and from 5 years ago.
CohhCarnage said it looked fantastic, and the best city based open world he had seen yet, he has a 3080. Shroud also said the game looks 'amazing', he has a 3080. And no, they werent sponsored streams.

Why not uncapped framerate with dynamic 4k or 1440p without rt i mean how hard would it be to give that option to the players , the iq looks fine and all but 30 fps is criminal at the start of next gen

Kuranghi

Didnt think about the HDR tone-mapping being a thing. Would make sense. It feels like the detail is kinda all over the place too. Might just be the compression but it felt like to me when a 4K movie has grain removal pumped up to 11.

I did notice that too, I think thats maybe the XSX upscaling method at work, maybe its similar to the artifacts DLSS creates? Which I see as DNR-style texture detail loss and a "thickening" of edges similar to ringing artifacts caused by sharpening and/or ML upscaling.

Could be as low as 1440p source, scaled to 4K via ML based on what I've seen DLSS do. Which is very impressive if it is even given the caveats.

CohhCarnage said it looked fantastic, and the best city based open world he had seen yet, he has a 3080. Shroud also said the game looks 'amazing', he has a 3080. And no, they werent sponsored streams.

Im playing the game since yesterday, when it unlocked. It looks like ass. Do you want me to post you random picks right now ? Those guys must have another definition of looking good.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Need to devour some reviews now or should I buy it now and potentially get refund if I don't like it? 🤔

Kuranghi

Native 4k is so overrated. They should have went with a 1440p checkerboard solution and 60fps.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't do that is because they couldn't keep 60 even at 1440p and 1080p was too blurry for them. Otherwise I'm sure they would've done it, for peeps like yourself who could gaf about spatial resolution.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Need to devour some reviews now or should I buy it now and potentially get refund if I don't like it? 🤔
Can you rent it from anyplace?

I'm really enjoying it and about 4 hours in. Play with permadeath on, run around looking for stupid/fun/crazy people to recruit, and it's kind of addicting so far. My friend is only recruiting people with the worst hairstyles he can find and has already lost 4 of his 10 recruits to "accidents".

I'm currently playing on base PS4 and it looks about the same as WD2, which I think is pretty good. World is very detailed.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I did notice that too, I think thats maybe the XSX upscaling method at work, maybe its similar to the artifacts DLSS creates? Which I see as DNR-style texture detail loss and a "thickening" of edges similar to ringing artifacts caused by sharpening and/or ML upscaling.

Could be as low as 1440p source, scaled to 4K via ML based on what I've seen DLSS do. Which is very impressive if it is even given the caveats.

I would have to think this being a cross-gen game that they wouldn't be using any type of upscaling/ML? But that is true, this does appear to be similar to how DLSS looks if you really look closely but this iteration appears to have the artifacts more noticeable and not as finely tuned.

Kuranghi

I kinda want to buy it on a whim with my amazon voucher, prob a bad idea though since I can't return it if its digital. Can you return physical games to Amazon?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can you rent it from anyplace?

I'm really enjoying it and about 4 hours in. Play with permadeath on, run around looking for stupid/fun/crazy people to recruit, and it's kind of addicting so far. My friend is only recruiting people with the worst hairstyles he can find and has already lost 4 of his 10 recruits to "accidents".

I'm currently playing on base PS4 and it looks about the same as WD2, which I think is pretty good. World is very detailed.
No, no such service like that here, but being in EU, I have my customer rights. Maybe stupid question, but does it have some cool story line, or is it something like if you finish open-world game and you just dicking around? Actually WD 2 is probably my favorite open-world game, I liked it a lot.

I kinda want to buy it on a whim with my amazon voucher, prob a bad idea though since I can't return it if its digital. Can you return physical games to Amazon?
Probably not, but you can get digital refund if needed right?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes you can, but you have to pay a "restocking fee" for the opened game. The game is also still 10 bucks off on Amazon in the US at least.

Mr.ODST

Looks incredible compared to what im playing atm on my One X, a huge upgrade and looks next gen in some aspects

R6Rider

Gold Member
Maybe stupid question, but does it have some cool story line, or is it something like if you finish open-world game and you just dicking around? Actually WD 2 is probably my favorite open-world game, I liked it a lot.

I've only done 5 or 6 main missions and it's less about the characters and more about the events that are happening and the main baddies of the story. The very first mission actually hits pretty hard compared to WD2 and I thought it was done extremely well.

Right now though I've spent more time recruiting and messing around the city. I spent a whole hour on the football minigame already. I loved WD2 and this one is really good so far, but it's also different enough to not feel too much the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom