• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Watch Dogs Series Is “Dead and Buried”; “Fairly Original” Battle Royale Project Has Been Canceled

bender

What time is it?
Ubisoft erasing games from their past and cancelling games from their future. Hopefully those two trends meet in the middle.

giphy.gif

You know what else is BS? To sell copies of Legion they include Watch Dogs 1 "complete edition" with season pass. Released after the ps5/sx came out but the fuckers just released it as is, no 60 fps, no higher resolution ..

Something positive could've come out of Legion with that re-release but even that was too much to ask from Ubi. Could've had WD1 4k/60

Laptop1991

I got duped on the first one by Ubisoft showing over the top graphics then hiding them on release, i played most of that, i bought the 2nd and didn't play much of it to be honest, and i never even bothered with the 3rd set in London, so it doesn't bother me, they could of been really good but never quite hit the height's of GTA.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
While I'm not particularly sad (I didn't even bother with the most recent entry) I do think that Watchdogs had some kind of potential to have it's own niche for a particular type of gameplay, and given the wording "fairly original" I am interested to know what that might have been.

However, I guess this is another example of the problem with modern AAA gaming - everything needs to be a giant hit and able to become a franchise, fail either of those criteria and it all gets cancelled, never made, or everyone gets fired and the whole studio closes.

Kumomeme

i tried Legion before

i intrigued by the idea of you can play and recruit another NPC at first but the game has lot of problem. at first hour i already has enough of it. the drone sequence and first time open world section available, basically it is just another ubisoft games where you played 1 and you already seen everything.

boring, samey formula.

first game atleast has some 'soul' in it. some stuff got scrapped in the sequel which is i dissapointed they not expanded from first game (mechanic where you spy and tail npc) but ehh it still kind of fun but by the 3rd game, it end up as completely no identity, souless ubisoft open world game formula.

Last edited:

Pelao

The idea behind Legion was... interesting, I suppose, but the execution of it all resulted in a pretty fucking boring game. I bought it for five bucks and still felt ripped off.

Tommi84

WD1 was shen the series peaked. The later were more and more emo-cringe-bullshit thing I don't want to take part in. I played Legion for an hour just to sightsee and that was it

Honestly a shame, imo. There isn't anything wrong with the Watch_dogs concept per se, but Ubisoft handled it poorly. It could've been a great sci-fi thriller done right and the original game had some glimmer of that.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Honestly a shame, imo. There isn't anything wrong with the Watch_dogs concept per se, but Ubisoft handled it poorly. It could've been a great sci-fi thriller done right and the original game had some glimmer of that.

Either way, the IP needs a long, long rest.

Valt7786

Bit of a shame really, but not surprising after how much Legion kinda sucked.
The concept of hacking the open world was brilliant though, if they could have expanded on that properly and had a better writing team that wasn't filled with Gen Z'ers or How do you do fellow kid'ers they could have done good things.

missiles

Tried playing the second instalment (GP) and hated it. It truly felt like work with so many objective markers, alerts, notifications and NPCs constantly nagging at me. The underlying game is basic as shit, just padded out by fluff to distract you from the fact that the game is so dull.

wipeout364

I think Ubisoft missed the boat on this series. The original trailer for watchdogs had sort of a Deus ex open world vibe. That is what I wanted, a future noir open world GTA. Not a second rate GTA with hacking. It was essentially 2015 with advanced cellphones. I wanted 2150 with lots of high tech future gadgets

The second game they kind of doubled down on the current world setting. I enjoyed it but certainly it was nothing great. The third I had two Starts of it early on and got corrupted save files both times so I never finished it.

Cyberpunkd

WD1 was shen the series peaked. The later were more and more emo-cringe-bullshit thing I don't want to take part in. I played Legion for an hour just to sightsee and that was it
I remember playing and finishing WD1, was really fun. I still remember a mission with you sneaking through some ghetto high-rise building. Also had a lot of fun watching multiplayer games (same way I got hooked on AC MP around AC: Revelations).

After that I tried WD2 for 5 minutes, despite all possible services letting me try it. Legion I did not even start. IMO the whole franchise was not very compelling in world building.

HL3.exe

Thought the themes and tone where cringy at best, but I actually like the gameplay loop of these games.

Entering A space, figuring a way through, manipulating entities in the world or creating distraction, leading to systemic unforseen consequences sometimes.

Recently replayed WD1 with the Living City mod, and it still easily the worst in the series. Emo writing and tons and tons of unnecessary fail-states when veering a bit out of the boundary or trying something creative, stuff that WD2 luckily solved.

I still remember this right after release.

Last edited:
First one had potential but it nosedived after that. Lol at the battle royale thing. This company couldn't be more creatively bankrupt if they tried.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Legion was such a different game it might as well have been a different series, and THAT'S how the series ended up dying.

The first was an extreme disappointment for me. (does anyone remember the downgrade or is it just me?).
The second one wasn't as bad but it was basically the same thing.

They could have done better with Legion, unworthy of being called a sequel.

They completely lost where they wanted to go after the original game. While I think 2 is mechanically better than 1, the tone and story are far worse. I liked stalking the seedy underbelly of Chicago as a no-nonsense veteran much better than strolling the bright and sunny beaches of Northern California as a millennial.

The themes they tried to tackle were way too complicated and high-minded for the amateur writers of Ubisoft and the execution of the stories for both games fell flat. With Legion, they gave up and attempted some half-assed GAAS shit and failed.

Good riddance.

Exactly this. The first one was great and had a great story to go with it. The second one like you said mechanically better but the story was so bad.

Gambit2483

I couldn't make it past the first few missions in Legion before I just gave up. I didn't give a ahit about any of the randomly generated protags and once I realized they took away MANY previous features/game mechanics I was out completely.

Such a shame considering how much I enjoyed WD2. Yea the tone shifted but they made so many improvements and added many new features that I didn't even care it was lighter and more colorful.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Watch Dogs is in the same territory as Callisto Protocol for me: shit that looked really cool prerelease that got reamed in reviews so hard that I never actually tried it, but just assume it's an ass sandwich.

They strayed further and further from it's original inception. Which still holds a lot of merit in some of it's more unique ideas..

Let it lay. By the 3rd entry, it had nothing to offer.

That being said, there's a great mod for WD1 that essentially makes the game what it should have been from the beginning and would have been a great foundation to grow from:

This mod, plus the graphics overhaul mod really make this game much better I am assuming you can probably get it for under $5, it's worth playing.

Last edited:

Kurotri

To be expected. The first one really pissed me off, I think it was one of the first games where I was genuinely pissed to have spent time on it. Huge disappointment compared to their infamous E3 showing, super boring in all aspects. Though some of the things I liked. Aiden, the hacking itself was still cool and novel (the blackout skill is just badass) and some of the vibes they were going for I found intriguing. Still not nearly enough to make me like it.

The second one came out swinging for me. I still believe it's one of the best open world games Ubisoft have ever made. It had a cringy marketing campaign that I feel like didn't really do the actual game justice. It was nowhere near that bad. They nailed the gameplay and elevated the series in pretty much every aspect, building on the foundations of the first one. Great jump. Though I loved the sunny California setting, I did yearn to for the series to go back to the darker and more series tone of the first. Legion being set in London gave me hope.

What a MASSIVE dumpsterfire that was. Huge regression, so bad that I would firmly put it on last place, even the original is better than that trash. The very idea of play as anyone was a huge red flag.

The one thing that I'm really glad about though was Legion's DLC, Bloodline. Fantastic send-off to Aiden and an amazing wrap up to the series. Felt like a proper continuation of WD1. It sucks that it's dead now because I feel the concept is still cool, but they just weren't sure enough where to take the series and that's deadly especially in today's industry.

Puscifer

Each one felt like they improved in one area then digressed in another.
2 was really improved but I couldn't stand how they decided that maxing out certain skills required you go on collectathons across the map and I stopped right there.

rm082e

I wasn't surprised to see them make WD2, sunk cost to develop the IP and all. I was surprised they bothered making a third game since the first two didn't seem to catch on.

The first game is good and the second game still has one of the best open world settings ever. WD3 was too ambitious and they didn't pull it off very well. They should give it another go.

Muffdraul

I loved Watch Dogs 1 and 2 and could have gotten behind them ditching all of the shitty ideas shoehorned into Legion and done another one in line with the first two. Oh well.

Kazdane

I loved the idea of Watch Dogs 1 because it reminded me of Person of Interest and I thought it was a cool concept. The first game was pretty rough around the edges but I still enjoyed it. The second was far better in terms of playability, but I didn't like the tone that much, and by the time Legion came around, I had lost all interest and didn't even bother with it, as it had strayed sooo far from the idea of the first game. So unfortunately I'm not surprised (and not happy either, because I'm sure there must have been people out there that loved Legion and would've loved a new entry in the series).

xrnzaaas

Watch Dogs 1 was a really fun game and Chicago was a great city to visit, I struggled to get through WD2 and didn't even touch Legion - I hate that aesthetic, trying to inject some messaging and most of all I don't want to play a game without a proper charismatic protagonist.

Hudo

Back then when Watch Dogs 1 was announced, I thought that AC should've gone that way, fully committing to the modern setting with Desmond having learnt all the assassin skills in the previous games and now fighting Abstergo for real.

Ubisoft managed to fuck both IPs over. Oh well...

Top Bottom