• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion confirmed 4K/30 with RT on XsX/PS5

Ceadeus

Gold Member
In a year or so, nobody's gonna want to play in 30FPS anymore. More and more people are getting aware of what it changes and 30fps is just not going to pass anymore.

Well that's my thought, I really hope it changes.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
but hdmi 2.1 will be a thing at some point

That's correct. But right now only a handful of this year's 4K HDTVs support the VRR subset of the HDMI 2.1 feature set. This is spanking new techonology. It will take many years before a good portion of the general public has upgraded to HDMI 2.1 HDTVs. All you can hope for now are games that have both a rock-solid 30 fps and a variable refresh rate option for the lucky few who got the latest and greatest in tv technology.

CrysisFreak

Banned
That's correct. But right now only a handful of this year's 4K HDTVs support the VRR subset of the HDMI 2.1 feature set. This is spanking new techonology. It will take many years before a good portion of the general public has upgraded to HDMI 2.1 HDTVs. All you can hope for now are games that have both a rock-solid 30 fps and a variable refresh rate option for the lucky few who got the latest and greatest in tv technology.
Yeah every game should've an unlocked framerate option for VRR users but guess what, most games don't. And devs need to catch flak for that.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
but even there... even the graphics cards that were promoted for Quake 2 for example ran the game at around 20-30fps

Huh?
My monster (pass through) card and my voodoo card had NO issues running quake super fast.
But then again that was 1996 and most of this lot were still in diapers :devilish:

I thought raytracing wouldn't be supported at launch on series X

That was already proven to be a lie some time ago. Supposedly Assassin's Creed: Valhalla will also have Raytracing on both the PS5 and XSX versions and run at 4K.

I also remember something about UbiSoft's Zelda knockoff coming out in December being rumored to have Raytracing for PS5/XSX as well...but for the life of me I can't remember the crappy title they gave that game--just that said title was crappy and not indicative of gameplay.

That was already proven to be a lie some time ago. Supposedly Assassin's Creed: Valhalla will also have Raytracing on both the PS5 and XSX versions and run at 4K.

I also remember something about UbiSoft's Zelda knockoff coming out in December being rumored to have Raytracing for PS5/XSX as well...but for the life of me I can't remember the crappy title they gave that game--just that said title was crappy and not indicative of gameplay.
So Valhalla and legion will be the only raytracing benchmarks we'll get at launch ?

So Valhalla and legion will be the only raytracing benchmarks we'll get at launch ?

Vallhalla has Raytracing? Where??
200.gif

BigLee74

but right now things are not looking good for the xsx. they put so much effort into marketing having a most powerful console ever and it seems to have zero upgrades over the ps5.

Yeah, things are not looking good. They have the most powerful console, at the same price as its rival. And Gamepass with day one first party games. And now loads of first party studios, including some that make (and will make) system sellers.

What a bad time to be into xbox. The worst. Its not looking good at all.

Most powerful will come into its own as soon as they start making games that stretch the limits of these machines. Then you will see Xbox holding that locked 30 or 60 instead of dropping 5 or 10 frames, or holding that 4k resolution longer. Anything within the comfort zone, then yes, both consoles will perform identically unless they start pushing for more on one system. But that's not gonna happen with multiplats.

To sum up - get a grip!

scalman

it will be good imagine what specs on pc you will need for RTX stuff and then consoles will just do it for $400 even ... so how that can compare to pc .. well its just kills it .. pc bolts will cost $400 i guess.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, things are not looking good. They have the most powerful console, at the same price as its rival. And Gamepass with day one first party games. And now loads of first party studios, including some that make (and will make) system sellers.

Most powerful will come into its own as soon as they start making games that stretch the limits of these machines. Then you will see Xbox holding that locked 30 or 60 instead of dropping 5 or 10 frames, or holding that 4k resolution longer. Anything within the comfort zone, then yes, both consoles will perform identically unless they start pushing for more on one system. But that's not gonna happen with multiplats.

To sum up - get a grip!
lol calm down you snowflake. There is no reason to get triggered over that line when i basically said what you said. That maybe the upgrades will show up later in the gen.

Next time try to read the entire post instead of getting triggered by one sentence and making a fool out of yourself.

BigLee74

lol calm down you snowflake. There is no reason to get triggered over that line when i basically said what you said. That maybe the upgrades will show up later in the gen.

Next time try to read the entire post instead of getting triggered by one sentence and making a fool out of yourself.

Is that your response? Personal insults? Nice one!

I think they should better go after lower resolution but with 60fps.

Though I wonder if future games will have 4k60fps with RTX on consoles.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The power of next gen !

Anyway, who cares ? Human eyes cant see more than 24 frames per seconde

tenor.gif
Human eye doesn't see in fps let alone a fixed fps, hence why we see motion blur
The world is a unstable frame dropping piece of shit

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is that your response? Personal insults? Nice one!
You were console warring while providing bizarre Xbox PR that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You not only edited out the parts where i mentioned how next gen games might show more differences, you also edited out my post mid sentence Leaving out the part where i said the ps5 could have framedrops. Never have i read a post that dishonest.

Then you had the gal to lecture me about things I've already said. That next gen games might show an actual difference and that multiplats are sticking to parity. Like who the fuck tells someone off by making the same points as the person they are disagreeing with.

Next time, don't embarrass yourself like that by console warring and maybe you will manage to write something that's not bipolar.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Human eye doesn't see in fps let alone a fixed fps, hence why we see motion blur
The world is a unstable frame dropping piece of shit
I know that the human don't see "frame" haha. Here is an interesting video:

Reactions: TGO

FrankWza

To sum up - get a grip!

The problem with those first party studios is that 8 of them from the 7.5 billion deal have nothing coming out for at least 2-3 years. In that time they actually have to release 2 exclusives on PS5 while Microsoft owns them. That’s rough. Big chunk of studios not only not producing for x but actually helping Sony.

Stuart360

Bit surprised by some of the 'i didnt buy an next gen console to play at 30fps' style comments. This is the reality. We are in the cross gen stage, and combine that with the consoles having decent cpu's for a change, thats why we are getting a decent amount of 60fps games. Once the cross gen 2 years are over, expect the large majority of games to be 30fps, outside of the usual suspects.
Sure there will almost certainly be more 60fps games next gen than there was current gen, but over the course of the whole next generation, the majority of games will of been 30fps 100%.
The best you can hope for is devs adding a 'performance mode' into games.

Shmunter

Bit surprised by some of the 'i didnt buy an next gen console to play at 30fps' style comments. This is the reality. We are in the cross gen stage, and combine that with the consoles having decent cpu's for a change, thats why we are getting a decent amount of 60fps games. Once the cross gen 2 years are over, expect the large majority of games to be 30fps, outside of the usual suspects.
Sure there will almost certainly be more 60fps games next gen than there was current gen, but over the course of the whole next generation, the majority of games will of been 30fps 100%.
2 modes are fine. It’s offering 30fps as the only mode that grates.

If there is no choice given, it has to be 60.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It's a giant open world so not really surprised, I'm still buying unless reviews are really bad.

Shmunter

Edit: double post

Last edited:

yurinka

AAA games that aren't from certain specific genres like versus fighting, hack & slash, FPS or driving simulators don't need to be 60fps. If they have a locked, steady 30fps it's fine for amost all the players. Both devs and players prefer these 3rd person action or open world games to have great visuals at 30fps than mediocre at 60fps.

Look at Halo Infinite: it has all these checks. Native 4K! 60fps! Raytracing (when done)! etc. But looked ugly, because you can't have everything. Doesn't matter if it's a next gen or not: when a game runs at 60fps, it could have run at steady 30fps looking better. And when you give these two options to the players, most of them will choose the better looking one with 30 fps unless it's from one of some specific game genres where reaction times and controls with very low input lag are key.

If at the start of the generation we see more 60fps than usual is basically because they are crossgen games mostly made for the previous generation and with some extra improvements on top and the horsepower allows them to run at 60fps if visuals aren't too demanding.

In any case, maybe it would be good for them to do what some games did: to include 2 options: best image quality and best framerate, in order to allow people to get 60fps but at the cost of losing cool looking stuf like raytracing, great lighting and shadows and so on.

But well, there's also people who also hates this. It's impossible to make everyone happy, because everybody likes and hates different things. So devs choose what most users prefers when you can't have everything, and for open worlds/cinematic 3rd action games it's the best possible visuals even if it's at the cost of having 30fps. Deal with it.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

it will be good imagine what specs on pc you will need for RTX stuff and then consoles will just do it for $400 even ... so how that can compare to pc .. well its just kills it .. pc bolts will cost $400 i guess.

Should somebody tell them that simply having ray tracing doesn't mean it'll have parity with the pc version?

Also it won't be 30fps on PC, please educate yourself.

MastaKiiLA

In a year or so, nobody's gonna want to play in 30FPS anymore. More and more people are getting aware of what it changes and 30fps is just not going to pass anymore.

Well that's my thought, I really hope it changes.
Good luck dealing with the disappointment. 30fps isn't going away anytime this lifetime. Most people are not concerned with framerates like some online extremists. Most gamers aren't very technical at all. To them, the game looks good, or it doesn't. We've had sub-30fps in a substantial number of games for decades now...DECADES. Even some 2D games suffered incredibly sluggish framerates. But you think that tolerance will flip like a switch overnight with a new generation of consoles that will still be less powerful than PC cards released at the same time? Those PC cards that will still struggle with 60fps themselves under max graphics settings?

Yeah...find a coping mechanism quick, because you're in for a world of hurt, bruv.

regawdless

Banned
Good luck dealing with the disappointment. 30fps isn't going away anytime this lifetime. Most people are not concerned with framerates like some online extremists. Most gamers aren't very technical at all. To them, the game looks good, or it doesn't. We've had sub-30fps in a substantial number of games for decades now...DECADES. Even some 2D games suffered incredibly sluggish framerates. But you think that tolerance will flip like a switch overnight with a new generation of consoles that will still be less powerful than PC cards released at the same time? Those PC cards that will still struggle with 60fps themselves under max graphics settings?

Yeah...find a coping mechanism quick, because you're in for a world of hurt, bruv.

It's always the same discussion. Some few enthusiasts really want 60fps, but these consoles are made for the mass market. And most of the mass market consumers don't care about 30 or 60fps.
It really isn't a question of hardware, it's a design decision.
Sure, the general conception changed over the course of last gen, thanks to the likes of Digital Foundry. Consumers are more aware of it, fps and resolution are discussed more often and devs take notice.

Still, I don't think there would be a significant impact on sales if for example the next Assassin's Creed will be 30 or 60 fps.
I believe we will see more games that offer a choice, but there will be a lot of 30fps only games.

fermcr

Better if they lower the resolution and keep the game at 60fps (at least make the option available).

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No 60fps mode?
What about Assassins creed?

Think about this for a second, because you have Ray Tracing in Watchdogs and its based in the future meaning a high amount of refecfive surfaces like glass are around, this while looking super cool increases the amount of Ray tracing used. Ray tracing is a notorious system hog just look at RTX on and off preformance to get an idea from PC over the last year or so.

The other issue is at the moment is we don't know how well AMD's hardware handles Ray tracing because we don't have two generations of graphics card which support it from the manufacturer.

However I'm going to say the 30FPS here vs the 60FPS of Vahalla will come down to Ray tracing as I am "guessing" they are using the same engine like most Ubisoft games.

Simply put Vahallas more rustic setting help limit the amount of resources used by it.

Last edited:
It's always the same discussion. Some few enthusiasts really want 60fps, but these consoles are made for the mass market. And most of the mass market consumers don't care about 30 or 60fps.
Maybe the discussion would change if nonsense like this stopped getting repeated. This is nothing more than ignorant "forum wisdom" that's never once been proven.

What's true is that the majority of popular, best-selling games since PS2 have been 60fps. And that's truer now more than ever.
What's true is that studies have shown that people do in fact prefer high framerate to resolution.

You're correct that "framerate" isn't a buzzword that the mass market has discussed much until now. That doesn't mean, however, that consumers don't notice or "don't care" about framerate.

Last edited:

JCK75

It's not that I can't live with 30fps with those settings... but the issue is I played the other Watchdogs games and... maybe I'd check it out when it hits $10.

regawdless

Banned
Maybe the discussion would change if nonsense like this stopped getting repeated. This is nothing more than ignorant "forum wisdom" that's never once been proven.

What's true is that the majority of popular, best-selling games since PS2 have been 60fps. And that's truer now more than ever.
What's true is that studies have shown that people do in fact prefer high framerate to resolution.

You're correct that "framerate" isn't a buzzword that the mass market has discussed much until now. That doesn't mean, however, that consumers don't notice or "don't care" about framerate.

Then let me rephrase it:
The difference between 30 and 60fps is not important enough for the average consumer to have an impact on their buying decision.
If 60fps would significantly increase sales numbers, we would have gotten a lot more 60fps games. Companies want to make as much money as possible. And most of the time, they decide to go full on CG trailer and as many visual effects as possible.

The consumers may prefer fps to resolution, but what about other visual effects that would need to be cut down as well to achieve 60fps?
Also I would argue that the majority of people who buy the likes of GTA and Assassin's Creed, don't even know or care about framerates. They just want to play the newest good looking shit.

I believe this is different for more hardcore games like Nioh for example.

That doesn't mean that framerates won't become more important and won't become a selling point for the general audience. Especially if TVs will push high fps as a feature.

Last edited:
I feel like, just a year or two ago, console gamers on this board were still spouting their mantra "gameplay is all that matters - don't care about fps and resolution," but now it's "30 fps unacceptable!" "where the rays at?" and "y no 4k?" Lol Now that we're finally getting back around to a new gen, they catching a taste of that sweet, pc-level poonanny, they thirsty and suddenly got standards.

Top Bottom