• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video released of Tulsa PD shooting and killing unarmed black man (Up: not guilty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 60 - 150 years events like these might be in textbooks, used to demonstrate the racism and political corruption of the era in the same way we look back on internment camps in the world war, or even events like watergate. (Not making any statements about comparability, just that they are well known historical "things").

It's kinda dumb to say, but it's odd being a part of history in the making. Goes to show that even people in the past likely mostly knew things were screwed up, but had no way to fix it.

And racist motherfuckers will try to whitewash it like they do now...

Slave-Trade.jpeg

A friend of a Facebook friend has gone with the story that he was shot because he was moving towards the car. I'm thinking this is the explanation that people are going to go with trying to defend the police this time.

I'm just kind of tired of it at this point. I'm pretty sure we could get a video of a cop shooting a black man in the back of the head point blank, and people would still find a way to defend the cops. I don't know what the hell has to happen to get white people to open their damn eyes.

mike6467

Let me tell you how I raise MY kids to comply with the police, y'all. Huh? Yeah, no, they're not black... What do you mean "shut the fuck up then?"

We really need to stop letting bigots and other racist shitstains become police. It's plain as day they're just becoming cops to kill us.

I was reminded of that FBI report that came out in the mid 00's and warned that the KKK and other racist organizations were explicitly trying to get into law enforcement. I really wonder how thorough the background checks are for these people trying to become police. Obviously the groups aren't keeping a member database for easy cross checks, but it seems like a link that should be looked into thoroughly. It just seems like becoming a cop should be an extremely intensive process that weeds out any people of questionable character. Now it just seems to enable and encourage them.

This whole thing just makes me sick, along with killing any faith I had in humanity. Family member on FB just posted "I get that people are frustrated, but that's no excuse to disrespect the veterans #NFL! Go do something that'll make a difference." Jesus. Fucking. Christ. With this level of apathy/ignorance seemingly widespread, I really wonder what it'll take for things to get better.

Her attorney says, she believed he was reaching into his car which led her to shoot.

And that he refused to follow instructions given by her.

After hearing fear for my life so many times, you cant help but roll your eyes to the words.

It won't stick because they'll make sure that the cop's personal recollection of the event matters more than the visual evidence against her.
Yup. Don't believe your lying eyes. All that matters is the cop's words. And a jury already inclined to worship law enforcement and be prejudice against Blacks will eat it all up - that is, if the prosecutor doesn't put on a defense trial for her during the grand jury. Then it won't even get that far.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And racist motherfuckers will try to whitewash it like they do now...

Slave-Trade.jpeg

Wait what is washed out here? It says slave trade right there. Using workers instead of slaves?

The plantation thing isn't wrong but it's not the whole picture by a long shot, what's the rest of the history book say?

Wait what is washed out here? It says slave trade right there. Using workers instead of slaves?

The plantation thing isn't wrong but it's not the whole picture by a long shot, what's the rest of the history book say?
Euphemisms... double speak. It says Slave Trade but workers creates a different connotation, as if they were paid to pick cotton.

Her attorney says, she believed he was reaching into his car which led her to shoot.

And that he refused to follow instructions given by her.

After hearing fear for my life so many times, you cant help but roll your eyes to the words.

I'd really like to see data on just how many cops claim they killed someone because they feared for their life. It seems like they default statement anytime there's a murder. Even the murderer that killed Walter Scott claimed he shot him because he feared for his life. Then the video came out showing that the cop shot him while he was running away.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Euphemisms... double speak. It says Slave Trade but workers creates a different connotation, as if they were paid to pick cotton.

I guess? Work doesn't mean you get payed money. Workers in the bluntest of terms just means people that perform task given to them.

worker
noun
a person or animal that works, in particular.
a person who produces or achieves a specified thing.

work
noun
activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
"he was tired after a day's work in the fields"
synonyms: labor, toil, slog, drudgery, exertion, effort, industry, service
mental or physical activity as a means of earning income; employment.
"I'm still looking for work"
synonyms: employment, a job, a position, a situation, a post;

It's ment with the first definition of work.

If people are actually misunderstanding it in class it should be changed also teachers should drill the point in they were treated like inhumane crap
Thank you for proving my point.
Not at all

Krejlooc

Banned
I guess? Work doesn't mean you get payed money. Workers in the bluntest of terms just means people that perform task given to them.

If people are actually misunderstanding it in class it should be changed also teachers should drill the point in they were treated like inhumane crap

Not at all

You are coming at this from the perspective of someone who already knows about slave trade.

jmdajr

Its the typical "going for a gun" line they always use, when almost the person in question never had a gun in the car to begin with.

Its how they get a way with this shit.

It sucks, but that's literally what they train them to do. "Suspect" reaching into car basically equals shoot.

edit: Was the vehicle searched before all this happened?

RPGCrazied

It sucks, but that's literally what they train them to do. "Suspect" reaching into car basically equals shoot.

And reason why our law enforcement needs reform. This training isn't doing it anymore.

Its the typical "going for a gun" line they always use, when almost the person in question never had a gun in the car to begin with.

Its how they get a way with this shit.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE

That trooper actually pleaded guilty in March of this year and still hasn't been sentenced. He was also arrested for shoplifting with his wife last year. And no court date has been set for that either.

devilhawk

Is being in the US police force the only job where you continue to get paid after murdering someone?
If you murder someone and are currently being investigated but have not been charged, you are probably just working your job as normal. If you mean murder someone while on the job- then I don't have the first clue. I imagine there are paid leave for other jobs but it doesn't take weeks to resolve like it apparently does for police.

You are coming at this from the perspective of someone who already knows about slave trade.
The students should already know about the slave trade. The point of the lesson is about the origination of our ancestors and its connection to the geography of their decedents within the United States.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
True, it's something that was taught in 6th grade for me in a horrific amount of detail.

looking at the whole page and context of it agree that it sucks. Also I guess asian people don't exist?

They can't search it without his consent or a warrant. It looks like they probably didn't even ask him if they can look at his vehicle.

Or as I stated above, they couldn't even peak in the car.

Robiin

They can't search it without his consent or a warrant. It looks like they probably didn't even ask him if they can look at his vehicle.

Or as I stated above, they couldn't even peak in the car.
So they are afraid to break the rules of searching another's property but not of the repercussions of murdering someone? What the actual fuck.

And reason why our law enforcement needs reform. This training isn't doing it anymore.

Its not just the training though its also the culture of policing, the lack of accountability, and people who keep that system in place. I think re-training every officer in the US would do absolutely nothing without changing the toxic culture and the lack of accountability that has been allowed to continue for so long because the majority like things that way. Nothing changes until the majority decides it does and even then sometimes that even is not enough as we saw with gun control laws after the horrible events at Sandy Hook elementary school so expect this bs to continue.

Lime

Not at all

Not being paid for your labor and being forced against to work is the definition of slavery.

paolo11

Do these cops want to be on paid vacation thus killing unarmed citizens? The footage clearly shows the victim raised his hands and cooperated.

Not once that I see cops get to prison for this (if I'm wrong, correct me).

devilhawk

True, it's something that was taught in 6th grade for me in a horrific amount of detail.

looking at the whole page and context of it agree that it sucks. Also I guess asian people don't exist?
Sigh.

Asians don't make up a majority ancestry in any US counties according to the data presented.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Utterly ridiculous.

I honestly don't know how to act if a cop ever pulls me over. I don't know what to do in order to not get killed. This guy seemed to be doing everything I would have done, and was still murdered.

Utterly ridiculous.

I honestly don't know how to act if a cop ever pulls me over. I don't know what to do in order to not get killed. This guy seemed to be doing everything I would have done, and was still murdered.

That is the worst part. You have to guess the correct action to survive an encounter with the police, even when you have done nothing wrong.

Mark L

I feel so deeply saddened for this man and his family. And I feel so helpless to do anything about it. Does anyone know if there us a gofundme or equivalent for the family? We should help, gaf. We are powerless to effect change on the police, but we can still help the victims.

commedieu

Banned
Utterly ridiculous.

I used to think laying down on the ground like a concrete angel would work. But after seeing that social worker get shot. I'm out of ideas.

"JOHNSON QUICK!!! HE'S TRYING TO TUNNEL UNDER US!!"

(18 shots)

I feel so deeply saddened for this man and his family. And I feel so helpless to do anything about it. Does anyone know if there us a gofundme or equivalent for the family? We should help, gaf. We are powerless to effect change on the police, but we can still help the victims.

Don't worry.

You do with your taxes for the civil suit.

Utterly ridiculous.

I used to think laying down on the ground like a concrete angel would work. But after seeing that social worker get shot. I'm out of ideas.

(18 shots)

Maybe the only option is to just have a pair of handcuffs on you and just cuff yourself when you get pulled over.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

(18 shots)

That situation pissed me off the most out of all these shootings for personal reasons.

Like I don't need my friend to get shot because he's helping me with my disability

"QUICK THAT THUG IS ATTACKING THAT MAN IN A WHEELCHAIR"

Those pieces of shit can fuck off

Maybe the only option is to just have a pair of handcuffs on you and just cuff yourself when you get pulled over.

<turns to Page 23 of Choose Your Own Adventure: Police Edition>

As you are pulled over, you quickly pull out your handcuffs and place them on your own wrists. The police give you instructions to hold your hands out the window. As you do so, you yell, "I am unarmed and I have cuffed myself."

Fearing for their life, the officers fire 13 rounds into your vehicle and you are killed.

The End

Mark L

(18 shots)

Don't worry.

You do with your taxes for the civil suit.

They are going to need money for the funeral, for rent or mortgage, just for day to day expenses. I thought I read there are 4 kids, the expenses must be huge. And God forbid someone fucks up with the evidence or some other such way, the civil suit may never amount to a dime. I am looking for donation options now and will post when and if I find something.

commedieu

Banned
<turns to Page 23 of Choose Your Own Adventure: Police Edition>

As you are pulled over, you quickly pull out your handcuffs and place them on your own wrists. The police give you instructions to hold your hands out the window. As you do so, you yell, "I am unarmed and I have cuffed myself."

Fearing for their life, the officers fire 13 rounds into your vehicle and you are killed.

The End

Pretty much. I realized much like speaking well, dressing sharp, trying not to seem too big, giving people their space, being unarmed, etc isn't the problem. There is no behavior that gets a pass.

It's literally just the skin that people fear. The story is a wrap at black. Then it's up to someone's bias to live or not, who has no accountability.

johnny956

That's why when people yell 'well more whites are killed by police", it's absolute horseshit on a macro level.

Those same people who say that at the same time have no problem saying the blacks commit more crimes based on population. So they know exactly what they're doing....being racist

shinkai

Full page:
Work implies pay. It's a softening of the reality. Even minor, it's unacceptable.

I find it odd that Asian aren't mentioned at all in this inforgraph. I want to say it's around a certain period of time but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Edit
Sigh.

Asians don't make up a majority ancestry in any US counties according to the data presented.

ahh that might explain it, but I still find it odd to exclude that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom