• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGT] Resident Evil Village DEMO: PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

ethomaz

Banned
I've seen his console wars comment but I didn't see where he admitted to fabricating the information. Maybe it's something he said after that?

Efb-UCbUwAARyDF

Basically he lost the credibility that he never had after tried to PR things because he felt it was “too sided”.

And it was lie because when he posted that we had a 4k gameplay session on PS5 that even with framerate issues were running at 4k.

Last edited:
I can’t take any comparisons of this game seriously after those documents leaked talking about technical parity.

What are all of these 1080p/50fps comments though? Some inside joke I am missing? Doesn’t the PS5 run the same as XSX just with a tiny frame rate difference?

Well they could have always downgraded the resolution to obtain an identical level for performance on both. Which kind of proves that parity clause false. If the developers really wanted both versions to be the same they would have done that.

assurdum

Banned
Well they could have always downgraded the resolution to obtain an identical level for performance on both. Which kind of proves that parity clause false. If the developers really wanted both versions to be the same they would have done that.
Quite interesting point in static scene and custscene series X has more steady FPS where on ps5 wave around 55-60 FPS but in the action shooting section the FPS drops identically on both platforms. That's show how incredibly balanced can be the cpu-gpu work on ps5 compared a machine with a more powerful GPU as series X imo.

Last edited:
Quite interesting point in static scene and custscene series X has more steady FPS where on ps5 wave around 55-60 FPS but in the action shooting section the FPS drops identically on both platforms. That's show how incredibly balanced can be the cpu-gpu work on ps5 compared a machine with a more powerful GPU as series X imo.

Well I did say earlier that each system has their own set of advantages. Knowing that I guess that it's definitely possible that one system only had the advantage some of the time instead of all of the time due to this. The only one that's clearly inferior in every way is the XSS. The other two seem to trade blows with each other.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Or it shows being the money maker platform they spent much more time optimizing the ps5 version and the series x got the old it is good enough ship it. Being the sales leader almost 3 to 1 gets you big advantages as Sony says.

assurdum

Banned
Well I did say earlier that each system has their own set of advantages. Knowing that I guess that it's definitely possible that one system only had the advantage some of the time instead of all of the time due to this. The only one that's clearly inferior in every way is the XSS. The other two seem to trade blows with each other.
Well in more opened areas series X seems definitely stick to 60 FPS more easily where on ps5 waving between 55-60 fps. Until actions not happens, of course. Then it become practically specular to the ps5. It's quite interesting. Could swear to have seen some heavy FPS drops on series X in a puzzle area in the ElAnalist delbite analysis and not on ps5, bizzarly, but I don't know if it's just matter of bad capturing (highly probable).

Last edited:

Md Ray

Posted this on the other thread. Check it out if you're curious how the PC version with an RTX 3070 stacks up against PS5
PC vs XSX/PS5 below:

Keep in mind though, the settings cannot be matched 100% 1:1. For one, the checkerboard setting they use on PS5/XSX isn't available as an option on PC. Sure there's a setting called "Interlaced" but it's different, and not the same as the console's CB implementation which looks better than PC's interlaced at 4K.

These are the settings I used and what I think is roughly equivalent/slightly better than consoles.

Color Space: Rec.709
Resolution: 3840x2160
Rendering Mode: Normal (consoles use checkerboard)
Image Quality: 1
FidelityFX CAS: Off
AA: TAA
VRS: Off
Texture: High (4GB)
Texture Filter: x16
Mesh Quality: High
Ray Tracing: On
GI and Reflection: Mid
Light Reflection: Mid
AO: On
SSR: On
Volumetric: Low
SSS: On
Shadow Quality: High
Contact Shadows: On
Shadow Cache: On
Bloom: On
Lens Flare: On
Film Noise: Off
DoF: On
Lens Distortion: On (+ca)

AF is definitely better as I left it at x16, PS5/XSX looks to be x8 or x4. I'm also doing a native 4K render as opposed to the cheaper CB 4K on consoles. As for the RT, I'm using the "Mid" setting. I don't think they're going for the highest RT on consoles, it's likely Low or Mid. So I chose the middle ground. Also, there was barely any perf difference between Low and High in RT.

USszseW.jpg

nyMmdcd.jpg

KJa0OTP.jpg

GTnw1dl.png

nZYQBn4.jpg

The color difference is due to different brightness settings.

Note: ShadowPlay shaves off a couple of frames per second when recording.

TLDR:
A PC with RTX 3070 has the power to run RE8 at similar frame rates as PS5/XSX at native 4K, with RT on, at similar/better graphics settings while the consoles require checkerboard rendering and some compromised settings to reach the RTX 3070's performance level.

100% opinion. It's great if you like it, but Haptics can't be considered a all around positive since many don't like them.

And vast majority likes Dualsense features.

That is the job of 1st party games, 3rd party don't have to

Yeah, but there is an elephant in the room : XSS

See how XSS struggles with Village. Fps all over the place. It needs severe cutbacks to be at 60fps.

Well in more opened areas series X seems definitely stick to 60 FPS more easily where on ps5 waving between 55-60 fps. Until actions not happens, of course. Then it become practically specular to the ps5. It's quite interesting. Could swear to have seen some heavy FPS drops on series X in a puzzle area in the ElAnalist delbite analysis and not on ps5, bizzarly, but I don't know if it's just matter of bad capturing (highly probable).

I wouldn't trust ElAnalistadeBits for any comparisons to be honest. I'm sure if those issues exist others will find them.

elliot5

And vast majority likes Dualsense features.

Yeah, but there is an elephant in the room : XSS

See how XSS struggles with Village. Fps all over the place. It needs severe cutbacks to be at 60fps.
I don't know how it's an elephant in the room. It runs perfectly at 60 FPS without raytracing.

I don't think anyone really expects XSS to hit 1440p non-dynamic with RT on.

Fredrik

It’s funny and sad at the same time, I’d prefer that everyone could have all boxes and fucking enjoy the games instead of fighting over them.

Having that said, congrats XSX for the rare but important win.

Code:
Real Winner is PC. Does whatever you
want without
Checkerboarding.

dL3qkiu.jpg
That’s a lot of money though... Can’t expect everyone to invest like that.

And today it’s more it less impossible to buy any of the consoles or a 3080. I’ve given up on finding a PS5, I’ve had a 3080 on order for almost half a year. The whole industry is broken. I got lucky and found a XSX at launch though and my old 1080ti is still doing it’s job quite well as long as I have 1080p screens.

assurdum

Banned
I wouldn't trust ElAnalistadeBits for any comparisons to be honest. I'm sure if those issues exist others will find them.
To be fair ElAnalist says nothing about it (obviously). It was a short comparison sequence without FPS counts and I could swear this area on series X struggle in a bizzarre way. But again could be just a bad capturing

Last edited:

NEbeast

dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

Sony fanboys downplay the 1-5 fps xsx advantage? But If it was the other way around they'd make sure even their neighbor knows about it.
1-5? 59.5 vs 59.7 average, that's .2. I feel sorry for xs owners, it's getting hammered this early, its going to be even worse later in the generation. There is no way it doesn't hold back multi plat.

elliot5

I think the real question is why Capcom didn't reduce the settings to improve performance? It's kind of odd that they made this decision.
Dunno. Maybe they change it before it launches to be 1080p with RT on. But I'm not sure even that would provide a good enough framerate to warrant it because of how expensive RT can be.

I don't know how it's an elephant in the room. It runs perfectly at 60 FPS without raytracing.

Of course, i've referred to the RT mode, since the fps stats are in RT mode. Outside of it, runs great, though.

I don't think anyone really expects XSS to hit 1440p non-dynamic with RT on.

Well, for that you can blame MS PR who said that difference will only be in resolution between two Xboxes in games. Hence the XSS GPU has the same features as XSX GPU.

Last edited:
Dunno. Maybe they change it before it launches to be 1080p with RT on. But I'm not sure even that would provide a good enough framerate to warrant it because of how expensive RT can be.

Maybe but they need to improve the performance even if it means running the game at a much lower resolution. And if the XSS isn't capable of running it at 60FPs with RT they can always lock it to 30FPs. XSS owners deserve a solid performance.

elliot5

Of course, i've referred to the RT mode, since the fps stats are in RT mode. Outside of it, runs great, though.

Well, for that you can blame MS PR who said that difference will only be in resolution between two Xboxes in games. Hence the XSS GPU has the same features as XSX GPU.
Right, but it's making a mountain out of a molehill by calling one mode an elephant in the room.

And MS PR is pretty on the money when it comes to the non-RT mode. RT doesn't scale linearly so I'm not gonna fault MS or Capcom for not being able to just cut down resolution compared to XSX.

Capcom is finding a (mostly) successful version on XSS and imo ought to be commended for it.

Maybe but they need to improve the performance even if it means running the game at a much lower resolution. And if the XSS isn't capable of running it at 60FPs with RT they can always lock it to 30FPs. XSS owners deserve a solid performance.
Right, which is why I suggested on page 1 that Capcom just cap at 30 because the frame pacing must be awful at 40s.

Last edited:

Why not tone down the resolution then? It's Capcom to blame for setting the resolution higher then it's able.

assurdum

Banned
Why not tone down the resolution then? It's Capcom to blame for setting the resolution higher then it's able.
Well it's already 1440p reconstructed (or CBR whatever is it.) Lower than that what there is? Native 1080p but it's native so maybe would run quite similar. Just my guess

Fredrik

Posted this on the other thread. Check it out if you're curious how the PC version with an RTX 3070 stacks up against PS5
Thanks! It runs like a dream even on my 3800x+1080ti PC, only have 1080p screens and obviously can’t use RT but if I choose prioritize graphics it still looks nice imo. I think the outside area, the village, was so-so visually but the castle on the other hand looks fantastic. So no complaints here, I feared a parity mess after the Capcom leak but it didn’t happen. I hope DF goes bananas and dissect it maxed out on a 3090.

assurdum

Banned
as its a locked 60 we will never know what the Xbox could be running at, maybe it is hitting 68 - 70 FPS in those scenes but we will never know.
Not sure to follow you. Even in the case what would change? I mean see series X run around such fps when nothing happens what could imply?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I ran the demo on PC last night... 6900 XT with Ray Tracing ON. Lots of maxed detail settings. Quick and dirty... but the framerate was sky high. I wish Metrics overlay recorded... but we are talking 120 fps at 1440p with RT ON.

I believe this is one of the first AMD optimized RT implications on PC. We have consoles to thank I'm sure.

I just tried it on a 2080 and turning everything give me a frame rate of about 6 FPS . Lol

RobRSG

That’s a lot of money though... Can’t expect everyone to invest like that.

And today it’s more it less impossible to buy any of the consoles or a 3080. I’ve given up on finding a PS5, I’ve had a 3080 on order for almost half a year. The whole industry is broken. I got lucky and found a XSX at launch though and my old 1080ti is still doing it’s job quite well as long as I have 1080p screens.
Yeah, man. Took me quite some time to get all three. The 3080 came first, Xbox second, and PS5 less than a month ago.

Kangx

as its a locked 60 we will never know what the Xbox could be running at, maybe it is hitting 68 - 70 FPS in those scenes but we will never know.
I give you this argument if the series x stay locked 60 here. Check out this graph and you see how silly your argument is. This is not hitman 3 mendoza level where the ps5 stay lock and the series x constantly deeping
tR9qvqE.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not sure to follow you. Even in the case what would change? I mean see series X run around such fps when nothing happens what could imply?
Just saying that when the ps5 is hovering at 57 -58 fps the xbox could be hitting higher than 60. Its like that with any game though. I was implying that we maybe swing the expected 12 to 15 percent increase in power here.
I give you this argument if the series x stay locked 60 here. Check out this graph and you see how silly your argument is. This is not hitman 3 mendoza level where the ps5 stay lock and the series x constantly deeping
tR9qvqE.jpg
One scene there's some parity, yes there will be demanding scenes where performance fluctuates. The facts we have is that ps5 is not hitting 60 fps in quite a few scenes and in gameplay while the xbox is. This is where vrr would help out massively and Sony needs to get vrr ASAP.

Edit watched again and it's almost identical.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

S version is very good. I just beat both demos on it. The No RT mode is perfect. It looks awesome, can't see a difference with PS5 honestly. Runs 60fps. With RT on it indeed runs at a weird fps, esp noticable when looking around. Its still far from unplayable but its less clean than RT off. I think I'd prefer a locked 30fps on this one. But, go no RT. The differences aren't that huge.

Last edited:

Kangx

Just saying that when the ps5 is hovering at 57 -58 fps the xbox could be hitting higher than 60. Its like that with any game though. I was implying that we maybe swing the expected 12 to 15 percent increase in power here.

One scene there's some parity, yes there will be demanding scenes where performance fluctuates. The facts we have is that ps5 is not hitting 60 fps in quite a few scenes and in gameplay while the xbox is. This is where vrr would help out massively and Sony needs to get vrr ASAP.

Edit watched again and it's almost identical.
Lol, that scene exhibit the most drop over a prolong period time which is a barometer to demonstrate how the game will perform in most scenarios. Don't trust me, go rewatch DF DMC 4k tracing mode. They practicly neck and neck, albeit the series x has sligh advantage similar to RE here. I am disputing your theory about the series x could run 68 to 70 fps here, not anything about vrr.

tR9qvqE.jpg

It could be the fog dragging everything down. Pretty surprised it's only a 1FPs difference between the two systems. If Capcom jacked up the resolution on the XSX it would be behind the PS5 at this point. I can understand why the resolution is the same on both.

Isn't the Series S supposed to deliver the exact same experience as the Series X but at 1440p?

No, 33-40fps on the XSS isn't the same experience as the near 60fps lock of the XSX. What happened?

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 Riky Riky THE DUCK THE DUCK & co.

I think that's pretty much false at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom