• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGT] Resident Evil Village DEMO: PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Kangx

Water is wet. This engine run better on the series x with RT on, and remember it also better on series x on most modes except high frame rate. I am talking about dmc here. I don't why people expect different result. Again, this is like Valhalla and immortal Fenix where it favor the ps5 because of the same engine. I already have said, the series x and ps5 will continue to trade blow in the fufure.

Last edited:
I don't normally participate in the trendy stuff, but I thought it would be funny for something so minor.
AridForsakenLamb-size_restricted.gif

Banned
Again use photomode as benchmark for just a bug in an hardware with variable clock frequency...how reliable can be when the machine downclock the frequency on purpose if higher clock is not required in such mode?

the console doesn't know it is in photo mode, photo mode is not different in any way other than CPU related tasks being halted for the most part (meaning the dynamic clocks of the PS5 would if anything shift fully to the GPU in that moment because the CPU isn't at all stressed while the GPU needs all the grunt it can get). the performance difference would be basically the same if it was just unlocked during gameplay

Last edited:
Lol dude it's literally has been the case for every game this gen. Yet pages and pages always follow with "another one"

I mean a win is a win but if it matters to you is another question. If I had an XSS and a PS5 I would definitely pick up the PS5 version no questions asked. But if I had a PS5 and an XSX visuals probably wouldn't be a consideration since they are almost always extremely close. It would probably boil down to controller features or content.

assurdum

Banned
the console doesn't know it is in photo mode, photo mode is not different in any way other than CPU related tasks being halted for the most part (meaning the dynamic clocks of the PS5 would if anything shift fully to the GPU in that moment). the performance difference would be basically the same if it was just unlocked during gameplay
And you are wrong. Developers have access to the different profile of the frequency on ps5. They can easily decided to save overheating in such mode because it's a waste . So no, such test could be useless in a machine as ps5 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kangx

10fps difference in many scenes, and even more in some. (16% advantage on average)

the difference is big enough that an unlocked mode would make sense on SX

although I advocate for every game tk always have an option to change the FPS lock no matter how the performance is
Are we watching the same videos? Or this just happen in your ahead? Show us where there is 10 fps in many scenes or I call you a pathological liar. In fact, the ps5 was running better on some scenes, mostly 1 to 2 frames. But yes, overall, the x is more stable.

assurdum

Banned
Are we watching the same videos? Or this just happen in your ahead? Show us where there is 10 fps in many scenes or I call you a pathological liar. In fact, the ps5 was running better on some scenes, mostly 1 to 2 frames. But yes, overall, the x is more stable.
He talked about the photomode. The game unlock the FPS to 60 for a bug but again such test is meaningless in a machine with dedicate frequency profile.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
10fps difference in many scenes, and even more in some. (16% advantage on average)

although I advocate for every game tk always have an option to change the FPS lock no matter how the performance is
Bro, there is literally a spreadsheet data with the actual hard numbers in the OP.

Kangx

He talked about the photomode. The game unlock the FPS to 60 for a bug but again such test is meaningless in a machine with dedicate frequency profile.
He was talking about contol photomode? If yes, then my apology. Then quoting have no context, and we are talking about re here.

Last edited:

xion4360

No. You know gamers actually care about stuff other than a few frames. Like for example, the Dual Sense. Which provides a much more tangible difference than a few frames nobody notices when the FPS counter isn’t turned on.
there doesnt seem to be too much going on with dualsense in this one, but maybe the full game has something.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I think you're confusing it with the infamous "photo mode" test. Not the gameplay itself.

Xbox showed an advantage in frame rates during the photo mode -- when it was only the GPU in action and nothing else. We all know that XSX has a bigger GPU than PS5, so no big surprises there. However, as soon as you came out of the photo mode, the performance b/w the two consoles became essentially the same.

In other words, when it was just a GPU vs. GPU comparison, XSX was ahead of PS5. When it comes to actual gameplay (CPU processing, data streaming, NPCs, combat, traversal, etc.), both consoles performed the same.

Another point was the corridor of doom. That was when both consoles were being pushed at maximum in Control. A photo mode comparison in that location showed no advantage of XSX over PS5. Both consoles were at roughly 30-31 FPS in photo mode. Another evidence that when consoles got pushed, any XSX advantage was eliminated.

assurdum

Banned
How is it with this ? Another xbox win ? Are we leaving behind the early ps5 wins ? Seems pretty much every new game now performs better on series x in addition to higher resolution and having extra features like vrr. Are people still clinging to the early flukes that ps5 had ?
Higher resolution?

How is it with this ? Another xbox win ? Are we leaving behind the early ps5 wins ? Seems pretty much every new game now performs better on series x in addition to higher resolution and having extra features like vrr. Are people still clinging to the early flukes that ps5 had ?

Well is it the result that you were expecting? So maybe it still is a fluke of they were much higher.

The two platforms still seem extremely close to me.

Kangx

Well feel free to check the thread then!
AC:
59.85 vs 59.62 = 0.23 FPS mean
Resident Evil village:
59.79 vs 59.56 = 0.23 FPS mean
In fact, RE:V has an even higher difference in percentage.
Stats without context. This is how you manipulate it and favor your argument. Go watch digital foundry again where the ps5 have around 20 to 25 percent in the torch scence. The open door scence also favor the ps5 from 10 to 15 percent. Iam sure many more scences that did not record because ac is a big and open world game. With that, tell me, where do you see the similarly to re?

Well is it the result that you were expecting? So maybe it still is a fluke of they were much higher.

The two platforms still seem extremely close to me.

I mean, we know for a fact that the hardware specs in xbox are higher across the board. Higher cpu clock speed, higher ram bandwidth and a pretty nice uplift in gpu power. Common sense points that games performing better on series x should be standard. Who knows why they werent in the first couple of months, but they seem to have figured out whatever they had to

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The console warring over small numbers is so tiring. The bottom line is every user is getting a quality experience on whichever platform they play on, even Series S without RT. It's a good job done by Capcom for a game that has to support like what, 9 different platforms?
This.

Kangx

Pretty much? Recently crash and Tony hawk favor the ps5. Outsiders favor the series x. And now re favor series x come at no surprise to me because it shares the same engine with dmc.

Krizalidx11

Banned
Consoles are the same thing, why are people surprised? maybe XSX got a tad better IQ resolution but in the end both consoles got the exact same graphics fidelity

assurdum

Banned
I mean, we know for a fact that the hardware specs in xbox are higher across the board. Higher cpu clock speed, higher ram bandwidth and a pretty nice uplift in gpu power. Common sense points that games performing better on series x should be standard. Who knows why they werent in the first couple of months, but they seem to have figured out whatever they had to
For real? All those higher specs for 2 FPS of advantage in some cases? It's that you call how to figured out all that brute force? Good for you guess.

Last edited:
well Control showed a relatively big advantage for SX in RT mode. which is why I think they should add an option to unlock the framerate on Series X as the photo mode shows it can reach 50fps in most scenes and with a VRR screen that is more than acceptable

Yeah, if only RT is in games, so shadows, particle effects and other alpha effects should be excluded, then XSX will have an advantage

For real? All that higher specs for 2 FPS of advantage in some cases? It's that you call how to figured out all that power of difference? Good for you guess.

The excess of gpu power alone of series x over the ps5 is nearly 20%. Double ram bandwidth. 300 mhz on cpu for the physical cores. Thats like the difference between a 3080 and a 3090, in percentage. Developers are still fucking something up is the gap isnt larger than this. Or worse, of the ps5 wins. If you fire up a game and a 3080 runs it better than a 3090, it would make little sense, no ? It would mean somthing is not right.

Theres no need to take it personally. Sony had the far weaker console for the entire existence of playstaion. ps1 far bellow n64. ps2 utterly ridiculous next to xbox, could barelly run a 3rd party game. xbox 360 was doing circles around ps3. The only time sony had the better hardware was with the ps4, due to microsoft multiple and continuous fuck ups. Which they remedied quickly with the xbox x, when sony was back in second place as its always been. Microsoft was sure to not let sony come ahead again in specs, so series x is again faster.

assurdum

Banned
The excess of gpu power alone of series x over the ps5 is nearly 20%. Double ram bandwidth. 300 mhz on cpu for the physical cores. Thats like the difference between a 3080 and a 3090, in percentage. Developers are still fucking something up is the gap isnt larger than this. Or worse, of the ps5 wins. If you fire up a game and a 3080 runs it better than a 3090, it would make little sense, no ? It would mean somthing is not right.

Theres no need to take it personally. Sony had the far weaker console for the entire existence of playstaion. ps1 far bellow n64. ps2 utterly ridiculous next to xbox, could barelly run a 3rd party game. xbox 360 was doing circles around ps3. The only time sony had the better hardware was with the ps4, due to microsoft multiple and continuous fuck ups. Which they remedied quickly with the xbox x, when sony was back in second place as its always been. Microsoft was sure to not let sony come ahead again in specs, so series x is again faster.
I don't take anything of personal differently to you. Most of games are virtually identical on both platforms and people like you continue to repeat specs as a mantra for what? Masochism? You can celebrate every time to have the math edge, I guess. But it's really sad and meaningless in the big scheme of the things. You are the typical person who say hurrah because DF found more pixels and meanwhile you can't see it but for example if a game exhibit higher textures filter on ps5 immediately apparent, it doesn't counts. Just why? You should celebrate when you can perceive the difference not just when the math operations told you so. Lol.

Last edited:

Nvzman

What im really curious about is the Xbox One X version. Its 4k/30 according to capcom, but if its anything like PS4 Pro version its an uncapped 30 (i think the Pro could go up to the 40s in some areas), i wonder how that would run on the X considering the power gap? It must be running with a higher base resolution or have higher average frames right?

Kangx

Another one for XSX. It seems to really be starting to come into its own as the gen goes on.
Lol, this is becoming hilarious. This is Capcom engine, it comes at no surprise to me that the x have better performance with rt, actually, if you look at the relative performance from dmc to re. It is the ps5 that improve the most on rt mode. I have said there is no pattern. Engines will dictate which game run better on the platforms. As seen recently, crash 4 and Tony hawk favor the ps5. Outsiders favor the series x.

Consoles are the same thing, why are people surprised? maybe XSX got a tad better IQ resolution but in the end both consoles got the exact same graphics fidelity

Not enough. Almost 2 TF difference need to be showed somewhere in this game. Well, if 0.7% fps advantage in XSX favor is as almost 2TF difference

I don't take anything of personal differently to you. Most of games are virtually identical on both platforms and people like you continue to repeat specs as a mantra for what? Masochism? You can celebrate every time to have the math edge, I guess. But it's really sad and meaningless in the big scheme of the things. You are the typical person who say hurrah because DF found more pixels and meanwhile you can't see it because for example a game exhibit higher textures filter on ps5. Just why? You should celebrate when perceive the difference not just when the math operations tell you so. Lol.

Are you sure ? You do seem to take it personally and act like you're personally ofended because microsoft placed more performant hardware in their console and sony didnt. Laying out specs bothers you ? Its the hard truth. Hard numbers. No need to be offended that sony has a weaker console. Its just a corporation after all

Top Bottom