• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Outriders PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

assurdum

Banned
So the same framerate and higher resolution on Xbox. Looks like the Series X is starting to show its power advantage more consistently.
Interesting how the xbox series x now is the multiplatform king, especially with gamepass.

Ps5 for exclusives and xbox series x for everything else if you're a console gamer.

The teraflop difference is now in effect it seems.
3xV5PmJ.gif

Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Then there is a problem. The API devkit will be the same for each of the companies. If it's not showing it in other games then it can't be a bug.

I can't stress enough that low texture filtering will destroy texture detail - which is the bread and butter of anything rendered in 3D.

I agree they need to get on top of it. I remember the ps4 having the issues early on due to immature sdk so fingers crossed it is just that.

johnjohn

Interesting how the xbox series x now is the multiplatform king, especially with gamepass.

Ps5 for exclusives and xbox series x for everything else if you're a console gamer.

That's definitely looking like the way this gen is headed. Especially of MS keeps getting AAA games to launch on Game Pass every now and then.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

I mean there is a big difference in the quality of your characters immediate surroundings. Why wouldn’t we talk about it?
Because there isn't that big of a difference when you're running and sprinting around the game.

I just spent an hour playing the game - The last thing you're looking at is the mud and saying to yourself "wow - that's lower texture mud than the PS5 - this game sucks!"

Quite honestly - I wouldn't have known that there was an issue with the mud if I hadn't read this thread prior to playing the game.

But hey - if nitpicking over mud textures to show some form of "superiority" between XSX and PS5 is your thing - go right ahead...

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Demo was a clear win for PS5. Full game is an easy win for XSX. The game being free with GP just seals the deal. Sorry PS5, you can collect dust in your fancy dust collecting holes.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because there isn't that big of a difference when you're running and sprinting around the game.

I just spent an hour playing the game - The last thing you're looking at is the mud and saying to yourself "wow - that's lower texture mud than the PS5 - this game sucks!"

Quite honestly - I wouldn't have known that there was an issue with the mud if I hadn't read this thread prior to playing the game.

But hey - if nitpicking over mud textures to show some form of "superiority" between XSX and PS5 is your thing - go right ahead...

Well if you never played the PS5 or PC version I agree with you.

ethomaz

Banned
Always funny to see some damage control, like these text i read today.

"The higher the resolution, the less necessary is the anisotropic filter at high settings. So it makes sense that the anisotropic filter on the PlayStation 5 is set just above the Xbox Series X, as it runs the game at a lower resolution."
Where is that? It is actually the opposite the higher the texture resolution you should need higher AF.

assurdum

Banned

So more detailed texture it's just trivial in motion, barely noticeable meanwhile, to the other side, higher dynamic resolution it's an huuuuuge deal, so huge that doesn't counts you need to scrutinize step by step the jaggies in a static shot to spot it but when you win in the big number who cares I guess.

Last edited:
The PS5 has a texture filtering advantage. That said, I don't expect it to keep it very long because the Series X version will be patched to fix it. There is no technical reason why its so low. So expect it to be patched. Otherwise an excellent Series X release.

NEbeast

So the better textures is down to the ssd io? Even with a lower resolution it looks much better on ps5. Maybe cerny was right all along.
SX might have higher resolution this gen, but ps5 is still going to look better.

HoofHearted

Well if you never played the PS5 or PC version I agree with you.
That's kind of the point isn't it? Especially with this generation. It's not like we're going to experience drastic differences in overall image quality and performance between consoles.

Games are going to be released with bugs and imperfections - that's just the standard today - especially with the pandemic situation. As a result - you're going to see minor nitpicks and differences between the console (and PC) versions. Many of these issues are simply missed config changes, etc.

People complain - devs fix the minor issues - and voila - mud textures (or AF setting) are fixed. We saw this same exact pattern with so many other games earlier when the consoles were released.

End state? Just play the game on your choice of console and enjoy it ...

99.99% of the population could give a rat's ass about the mud texture differences in this (or any) game.

HoofHearted

So more detailed texture it's just trivial in motion, barely noticeable meanwhile, to the other side, higher dynamic resolution it's an huuuuuge deal, so huge that doesn't counts you need to scrutinize step by step the jaggies in a static shot to spot it but when you win in the big number who cares I guess.
Did I say that?

Do you really think developers care about these minutiae and meaningless nitpicks? They're simply developing and configuring the game to run optimally. There's no "win" or "best version" on either console here - developers are more concerned on how well the game runs smoothly...

assurdum

Banned
So the better textures is down to the ssd io? Even with a lower resolution it looks much better on ps5. Maybe cerny was right all along.
SX might have higher resolution this gen, but ps5 is still going to look better.
SSD IO should allow for more higher textures assets. But this seems more AF relative.

assurdum

Banned
Did I say that?

Do you really think developers care about these minutiae and meaningless nitpicks? They're simply developing and configuring the game to run optimally. There's no "win" or "best version" on either console here - developers are more concerned on how well the game runs smoothly...
Of course they care. You think if the same AF doesn't give any perfomance cost, the developers were that stupid to keep it lowered at higher resolution?

Stuart360

Its not IO or bandwith related lol. If it was, then PC gamers wouldnt be able to use 16xAF with almsot zero effect on performance, when both XSX and PS5 have faster SSD's and memory bandwith than the vast majority of PC users..
Honestly i know IO is the one major advantage PS5 has ovr XSX, but blaming every little difference in these compariosn threads down to IO, well its silly.

Last edited:

Both systems have SSDs that are more than fast enough to stream UHD textures. That has nothing to do with this.

It looks like the PS5 has 8x AF setting, while Series has 4x. Which doesn’t make sense to me. No idea why it wouldn’t be universal.

16x AF has been a thing on PC for at least 21 years.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Of course they care. You think if the same AF doesn't give any perfomance cost, the developers were that stupid to keep it lowered at higher resolution?
Considering that this most likely is an AF setting/configuration issue - I think they probably missed a config setting in their testing/delivery. Same as with other games (and subsequent patches) that were released since launch.

assurdum

Banned
Considering that this most likely is an AF setting/configuration issue - I think they probably missed a config setting in their testing/delivery. Same as with other games (and subsequent patches) that were released since launch.
Dirt 5 still has worse AF on series X. If I can say series X seems more problematic to keep the same level of AF of ps5 in some games. I guess developers opted to push for more higher res possible on series X than use a similar or a little worse AF of the ps5, with just a minor resolution bump. So they make a choice.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member

Yep it's an incredibly easy decision if you're a multi platform gamer. Add in the vasty superior backwards compatibility program and the knowledge that your digital investments are going to be honoured moving forward and it's really a no brainer.

HoofHearted

Dirt 5 still has worse AF on series X. If I can say series X seems more problematic to keep the same level of AF of ps5 in some games. I guess developers opted to push for more higher res possible on series X than similar or little worse AF of the ps5, with a minor resolution bump.
And IIRC - last patch for Dirt 5 also introduced additional performance impacts for PS5.

My point? Devs will tweak and configure different aspects on these games to get optimal performance out of the platform. In addition to this - due to the complexity of developing and delivering a multi-plat game to the masses on multiple target configurations and platforms, there will most likely be additional "missed" configurations and/or tweaks that affect the game.

We've yet to see any game push the limits of either of these consoles.

In playing Outriders earlier - I noticed screen tearing on some of the cutscenes on XSX - but only on a few cutscenes and not during actual gameplay. I'd be interested to see if the same issue occurs across other target platforms as well.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Number of frames in that second higher yes.
But you said drop and Series X has the lowest drop... 50ms... 50ms is when the render is below 30fps.

It dropped to 20-29fps for 50ms but in that second number of frames where higher because the others 57 frames were in 16ms.
perform better (basically a draw) with higher res...cmon etho stop it already :*

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
And IIRC - last patch for Dirt 5 also introduced additional performance impacts for PS5.

My point? Devs will tweak and configure different aspects on these games to get optimal performance out of the platform. In addition to this - due to the complexity of developing and delivering a multi-plat game to the masses on multiple target configurations and platforms, there will most likely be additional "missed" configurations and/or tweaks that affect the game.

We've yet to see any game push the limits of either of these consoles.

In playing Outriders earlier - I noticed screen tearing on some of the cutscenes on XSX - but only on a few cutscenes and not during actual gameplay. I'd be interested to see if the same issue occurs across other target platforms as well.
Doesn't change the fact they choose such AF on series X and probably because it has an impact in the perfomance. It's not unusual lowered the AF for more stable FPS. If we look to the precedents, series X leans to have a slight worse fps when it's higher res of the ps5. This time is not the case and seeing it's the only game which uses a very notable lower AF, make me think developers make intentionally such choice, just for smoother perfomance at higher res. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned
Holy crap! The DIRT looks superior on the PS5.
I mean that must be why I'm playing the game...to compare AF.... And brag about advantages.....

They did great since the beta to get Series X in a good place. Having a blast on it.

RobRSG

Given the fact they never bothered to enable vsync in the pre-rendered FMVs on the XSX, I wouldn’t expect anything less than bunch of idiots doing the optimization.

...Or perhaps the FMVs are too much for the XSX to handle? Not enough bandwidth?

Going back to the topic, no matter how much people try to spin the weight of AF, it is clear as day that resolution always impacts performance way more.

DeepSpace5D

The biggest difference is free versus 60.
If I like a game enough I’ll just buy it to own it permanently.

But I was speaking on someone playing the best-looking console version. The IQ in the PS5 screenshots look superior to me if those texture comparisons are accurate.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
6 months later people still bring up Dirt 5 in every thread. The game that no one played that will never die. What a king.
I played Dirt. Its a fun arcade racer. Stop hating because it looks like shite on your plastic box.

assurdum

Banned
Given the fact they never bothered to enable vsync in the pre-rendered FMVs on the XSX, I wouldn’t expect anything less than bunch of idiots doing the optimization.

...Or perhaps the FMVs are too much for the XSX to handle? Not enough bandwidth?

Going back to the topic, no matter how much people try to spin the weight of AF, it is clear as day that resolution always impacts performance way more.
Not true at all. It's more complicated than you think. And it's not the first time FMV exhibits tearing. Some Ubisoft games has the same issue even in their logo presentation. But it's not relative to the game engine and it's an useless comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom