• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Outriders PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

DJ12

The resolution difference will go unoticed by many but most will definitely notice the sharper looking textures on PS5.

3xV5PmJ.gif
Thats not an AF difference that close to the camera, it's just plain lower quality textures at that distance.

Probs Trilinear filtering, vs 8x AF in the distance, and the shadows at least medium vs high, guess this won't get the full console vs pc treatment from Alex rofl.

It's also not VRS, if it was some parts of it would look fine at random.

Too many variables to claim a winner here, but not point having a higher resolution if it still looks like series X.

Hopefully they fix up the Series X version so they can actually be compared in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
There are games loading in 4 seconds on Xbox so it’s not like it can’t be done, as for assets streaming none has hit its stride yet. Same with RDNA features so far there’s no real game that’s using them really , just bits of it on both consoles

I disagree with the steaming assets portion. When John interviewed Bluepoint they talked about the I/O al lot. One of the ways they built their game is around the PS5s asset streaming capabilities. I agree that it probably isn't maxing out the I/O but it did have an impact on the games design. Which the developers mentioned.

Edit: Then there's the UE5 demo which was a good demonstration on what the streaming capabilities are like on the platform.

Last edited:
As much as I think this ones got at least 500 pages to go I can’t wait for the MLB comparison thread and if the series x ends up being better

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As much as I think this ones got at least 500 pages to go I can’t wait for the MLB comparison thread and if the series x ends up being better
Either way, there will be claims of fuckery for either version.

Its a game made by Sony devs, a Sony studio.

That is gonna be one of the biggest no win situations of any analysis, probably ever.

Those pics are taken while standing still and is nothing to do with motion blur.
You should upload some pics and maybe someone with the PS version can compare in the same area.

I know some of this isnt some folks area of knowledge, I dont claim it to be mine...but this should have been obvious, lol.

There have been some wild posts lately.

Thats not an AF difference that close to the camera, it's just plain lower quality textures at that distance.

Probs Trilinear filtering, vs 8x AF in the distance, and the shadows at least medium vs high, guess this won't get the full console vs pc treatment from Alex rofl.

Too many variables to claim a winner here, but not point having a higher resolution if it still looks like series X.

Hopefully they fix up the Series X version so they can actually be compared in a meaningful way.
You have a good point about the distance. I have never seen someone explain AF differences that close to the camera before.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I got 3 years for £1 with the upgrade offer :p
When I said it was $1 I had half the forum(including alts) coming at me but nobody would say what they paid. Nobody would admit it when the 18 million subs was announced. Now that some new release games are coming, everyone paid $1. 🥳🥳🥳
So, when they boast about subs it’s real subs paying full price. When they try to compare against retail priced games on PS it’s free.
Can we agree that some of you xbox fans don't care about quality anymore, "as long as it's free"?
They’re reaping the benefits of having paid Msoft all these years of lackluster performance and first party output. They have no choice but to give away games. We all lived through RROD and the xboxone fiascos. They deserve to get something. Besides, they paid for this with all those gold subs that pure profit. I wouldn’t turn down $1 for 3 years of PSNow and it doesn’t even have PS5 games or new releases.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I just went into the game to check this on the series x and you can see every grain of sand. It doesn't look blurry like that picture unless you are moving. There is motion blur.

These things are kind of stupid when you can just go and look yourself. There is a lot of morphing in that area just spinning the camera.
You think the camera is in motion in that shot? It’s not.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I disagree with the steaming assets portion. When John interviewed Bluepoint they talked about the I/O al lot. One of the ways they built their game is around the PS5s asset streaming capabilities. I agree that it probably isn't maxing out the I/O but it did have an impact on the games design. Which the developers mentioned.

Edit: Then there's the UE5 demo which was a good demonstration on what the streaming capabilities are like on the platform.
You saying it won’t get better than that? As I said there will be massive improvements as we move forward

ethomaz

Banned

You have a point... AF normally doesn’t make difference near the view point... it is more far away that it become evident.

But it is really weird because the scene in the picture seems to be in different quality settings... not just AF.

And before people ask... no it is not SFS... SFS just delivery the same result it is just that the parts of the texture not used by the render (not visible) is not streamed.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Just want to add that on my Xbox Series S this game loads in like 2 seconds flat in between fast travel points and new sections of the map. I'm in-game almost immediately in any given situations. Love the fact I can skip every single cutscene as well.
Same with my XSX - reminds me of same experience with Spider-Man and MM on my PS5.

The transitions between cutscenes and actual gameplay are very smooth with no (or sometimes minimal) loading times.

Only issue I’ve had so far is some tearing on cutscenes (not gameplay) which is weird.

ethomaz

Banned
I just went into the game to check this on the series x and you can see every grain of sand. It doesn't look blurry like that picture unless you are moving. There is motion blur.

These things are kind of stupid when you can just go and look yourself. There is a lot of morphing in that area just spinning the camera.
The camera is actually not moving there... so it is not motion blur.

But if what you say is true then that left us with one more option guess... streaming issues... the textures is not being fully loaded to be displayed so when it ends the streaming you get the picture like PS5 but when it is not loaded in time you get the situation in the picture posted here.

Maybe that?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Just want to add that on my Xbox Series S this game loads in like 2 seconds flat in between fast travel points and new sections of the map. I'm in-game almost immediately in any given situations. Love the fact I can skip every single cutscene as well.
Welcome to what PS5 users are experiencing since launch ;)

HoofHearted

The camera is actually not moving there... so it is not motion blur.

But if what you say is true then that left us with one more option guess... streaming issues... the textures is not being fully loaded to be displayed so when it ends the streaming you get the picture like PS5 but when it is not loaded in time you get the situation in the picture posted here.

Maybe that?
Possibly - I did notice some delayed texture loading on the character select screen when I first started the game. But I also started the game mid download (“Ready to start”). I’ll have to find the section of the game where these screenshots are noted in this thread.

Chessmate

Banned
You have a point... AF normally doesn’t make difference near the view point... it is more far away that it become evident.

But it is really weird because the scene in the picture seems to be in different quality settings... not just AF.

And before people ask... no it is not SFS... SFS just delivery the same result it is just that the parts of the texture not used by the render (not visible) is not streamed.

As you say: It's one picture, not the whole game. Digital Foundry will clear this up. Would be really surprised though if this lack of detail was a general issue, especially since nobody noted it so far (also not in the demo, as far as I remember).

Significantly higher resolution on XSX on the other hand (with equal performance) is a plain and simple fact. And Outriders is just one of many games recently with a higher res on XSX, so we definitely see a trend here.

Last edited:

DJ12

As you say: It's one picture, not the whole game. Digital Foundry will clear this up. Would be really surprised though if this lack of detail was a general issue, especially since nobody noted it so far (also not in the demo, as far as I remember).

Significantly higher resolution on XSX on the other hand (with equal performance) is a plain and simple fact. And Outriders is just one of many games recently with a higher res on XSX, so we definitely see a trend here.
What you talking about Willis?

Same issue present in the demo also.

Series X worse filtering and worse shadows for starters, only lower quality ground textures wasn't spotted before, but they are probably still there, but just filled under better filtering on PS5 when it's more than that.

Unlikely they made it worse since the demo.

MonarchJT

Banned
When devolpers said even lately to the people SSD/IO is a big deal and will land more reached texture quality but they persist to celebrate their mom MS for the 12 TF GPU glory, because they can finally count more native pixels in their static picture...
there's nothing that the ps5 can do that xsx can't do ... before you accept it before you will live better

Last edited:

Cyborg

You guys fight like it even matters. Both consoles run great with almost identical settings with one having an small advantage in some areas and vice versa.
General public wont care about these things so why would you?

Just enjoy the game, go grind and get some goods.

Riky

$MSFT

Pretty much, I was playing it last night. We need some more screens to check.

MonarchJT

Banned
You guys fight like it even matters. Both consoles run great with almost identical settings with one having an small advantage in some areas and vice versa.
General public wont care about these things so why would you?

Just enjoy the game, go grind and get some goods.
na , stop with this shit everytime there's an clear advantage for the xbox version. and on top of this the game is 9.99 (gp) on xbox and 69,99 on ps5

Stuart360

Pretty much, I was playing it last night. We need some more screens to check.
Its obviously true, and not a doctored screen or anything, VGTech wouldnt do that.
Having said that, i watched a vid last night, by someone comparing both versions on seperate screens, and he thought the textures looked better on XSX. He owns both consoles, but admits he prefers Playstation.

Last edited:

Yes it was in the demo and it was already noticed by plenty of people (some saying PS5 looked higher res) including VGTech. Digital Foundry missed it in the demo but they often "miss" plenty of things in their faceoffs this gen, usually when it gives the edge to PS5. Or they say it's a "bug" like in their Watchdogs Legion article and as such they don't include it when comparing both versions as in "it's a bug, they'll patch it out later, for this comparison we'll just pretend they have the same level of AF".

Yes they were not doing the same in the start of previous gen when AF was better on XB1, they never once said it could be a bug on PS4 and they were writing long paragraphs about how the grounds looked lower res on PS4 and it looked so much better on XB1, almost always using the biggest AF difference they found in their screenshots.

But for this gen they just pretend the difference doesn't exit. "There is no spoon".

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes it was in the demo and it was already noticed by plenty of people (some saying PS5 looked higher res) including VGTech. Digital Foundry missed it in the demo but they often "miss" plenty of things in their faceoffs this gen, usually when it gives the edge to PS5. Or they say it's a "bug" like in their Watchdogs Legion article and as such they don't include it when comparing both versions as in "it's a bug, they'll patch it out later, for this comparison we'll just pretend they have the same level of AF".

Yes they were not doing the same in the start of previous gen when AF was better on XB1, they never once said it could be a bug on PS4 and they were writing long paragraphs about how the grounds looked lower res on PS4 and it looked so much better on XB1, almost always using the biggest AF difference they found in their screenshots.

But for this gen they just pretend the difference doesn't exit. "There is no spoon".
there is difference ..the xsx run at much higher resolution with the same performance. this is the clear difference

longdi

Banned
PS4 was the one that had absolute shit AF

It was not the opposite?
PS4 SDK had issues with AF while Xbox SDK was just fine?

You got it backwards, AF was often disabled in early PS4 versions of games.

sorry my old mind is forgetful or i didn't pay too much attention to ps4p vs xonex. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

anyway this is just AF, surely a simple patch to turn it on is simpler than upping the resolution

there is difference ..the xsx run at much higher resolution with the same performance. this is the clear difference
But it renders the ground textures at like half the resolution and the game often looks higher resolution on PS5. And usually it renders at <20% higher resolution on XSX which is not "much higher".

Just look at the pics provided by VGTech. Does the game look like it renders at "much higher" resolution on XSX? Just do it, compare the screenshots.

MonarchJT

Banned
But it renders the ground textures at like half the resolution and the game often looks higher resolution on PS5. And usually it renders at <20% higher resolution on XSX which is not "much higher".

Just look at the pics provided by VGTech. Does the game look like it renders at "much higher" resolution on XSX? Just do it, compare the screenshots.
this is just fantasyland territory bs for those who seem hurt by the result of the comparison
I've said this hundreds of times more and people would do better to accept that very, very likely going forward in the gen the xsx will always perform a little better.
It will be enough that devs become familiar with the machines

Last edited:

Bramble

there's nothing that the ps5 can do that xsx can't do ... before you accept it before you will live better

It's the exact opposite actually. Every SX game should be able to run on PS5, at a slightly lower res, but not every PS5 game can run properly without affecting the core gameplay experience on SX once the SSD is fully utilized. Same goes for texture streaming. One is just graphics, the other is gamedesign. Let's hypothetically say Rift Apart uses the full SSD speed (which I don't expect it does) with the nearly instant warping between level segments and complete levels. SX won't be able to do that without longer loading and crippling the game's pacing.

however it is interesting to see the difference in resolution more and more often.

I think it's more interesting that devs seem to be keep pushing res on X while it clearly gets in the way of framerate or in this case, texture detail. PS5 has better IQ while the framerate is nearly identical. I almost get the feeling MS is demanding a higher res in some games at the cost of other stuff. I've seen a lot of people evangelizing resolution, as if it is the absolute indicator of how good a game looks. They can't be more wrong. The best looking games aren't even close to native 4K.

longdi

Banned
You are talking as if the generation started with PS4Pro and Xbox One X.

The AF issue impacted the original PS4.

sorry pcmr here :messenger_spock::messenger_winking_tongue:

but i have a flashing remembrance that ps4 had AF issues vs one, while the case got flipped with ps4p v onex

guess im wrong.

Bramble

this is just fantasyland territory bs for those who seem hurt by the result of the comparison
I've said this hundreds of times more and people would do better to accept that very, very likely going forward in the gen the xsx will always perform a little better.

Lol. The only one hurt seems to be you. Anyone can see the extra detail PS5 offers. We literally have screen shots. You seem to ignore the fact PS5 literally performs better in practically every game?

OK so you won't do it. Got it. Just look at the theoretical resolutions and avoid actually comparing the end result then. I am pretty sure the XSX could render at a even higher resolution if they completely removed the textures altogether, what do you think? As long as the resolution of geometry is higher, that's better, right?

MonarchJT

Banned
It's the exact opposite actually. Every SX game should be able to run on PS5, at a slightly lower res, but not every PS5 game can run properly without affecting the core gameplay experience on SX once the SSD is fully utilized. Same goes for texture streaming. One is just graphics, the other is gamedesign. Let's hypothetically say Rift Apart uses the full SSD speed (which I don't expect it does) with the nearly instant warping between level segments and complete levels. SX won't be able to do that without longer loading and crippling the game's pacing.

I think it's more interesting that devs seem to be keep pushing res on X while it clearly gets in the way of framerate or in this case, texture detail. PS5 has better IQ while the framerate is nearly identical. I almost get the feeling MS is demanding a higher res in some games at the cost of other stuff. I've seen a lot of people evangelizing resolution, as if it is the absolute indicator of how good a game looks. They can't be more wrong. The best looking games aren't even close to native 4K.
looking at the specs i don't see how texture steaming it won't be the same or better on the xsx, it's irritating how you have to take everything cerny says word for word and gloss over all the features cited by the xbox engineers. 560 gb/s bw and sfs that according to what the console engineers say will allow you to load 1/3 of the data that would usually be needed on 1 other gpu to load the same texture (because you have to load the entire MIP) they will be enough to do everything necessary and it will be seen during the gen

Last edited:

Schmick

Your latest threads do not mention AF/IQ once... why are you ignoring it or at least not questioning it? I'll like to know for sure. I'll like to see a Twit from the developer saying why this is happening.

Its plain to see, you cant avoid it except you are trying really hard to.

Forget resolution for a moment. Forget the price of the game on PS vs Game pass. You can see clearly that the image quality in the current build of the game is worse on the XSX version. Why cant you admit that. This place would be a whole lot better if people except that sometimes their precious machines do not perform as well as you expect. There can be a reason for that of course. But its frustrating you are not questioning why its happening except trying to perpetuate warring.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Lol. The only one hurt seems to be you. Anyone can see the extra detail PS5 offers. We literally have screen shots. You seem to ignore the fact PS5 literally performs better in practically every game?
i have the game and there's nothing blurry in it. like literally you can see every grain of sand in the ground. As far as I'm concerned it's a state a way of the outlet to archive some parity between platforms and leave everyone happy.

MonarchJT

Banned
Your latest threads do not mention AF/IQ once... why are you ignoring it or at least not questioning it? I'll like to know for sure. I'll like to see a Twit from the developer saying why this is happening.

Its plain to see, you cant avoid it except you are trying really hard to.

Forget resolution for a moment. Forget the price of the game on PS vs Game pass. You can see clearly that the image quality in the current build of the game is worse on the XSX version. Why cant you admit that. This place would be a whole lot better if people except that sometimes their precious machines do not perform as well as you expect. There can be a reason for that of course. But its frustrating you are not questioning why its happening except trying to perpetuate warring.
I don't think those screenshots reflect the game's texture difference. is it clearer that way?

Top Bottom