• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Trailer

Labolas

Meh, my opinion hasn't changed at all. This looks kinda bad. Shriek looks fucking terrible and lazily portrayed. The comedy is bad at least from the trailer. Ironically, Woody Harrelson isn't portraying Cletus as I thought he would but I think his performance is probably going to be the stand out of the movie. Tom Hardy doesn't feel like Eddie Brock, a complaint I had for the first movie. He could definitely pull off a Flash Thompson though.

Last edited:

Aggelos

uNP8hSW.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This isn’t the Venom and Carnage movie we are waiting for. That’ll come in 5-10 years. Probably from the MCU. This will be the one we look back and laugh on.

Aggelos

Wasn't this delayed until next year?

Doesn't seem like that

"Sony confirmed that the film was scheduled to be released on October 2, 2020, and was intended to keep that release date despite the pandemic. Later that month, Sony moved the film's release date to June 25, 2021, after that date became available due to other COVID-19 related delays. Sony also announced the film's title as Venom: Let There Be Carnage. Serkis felt the delay would give more time to improve the film's visual effects, and would help ensure that audience members would be comfortable with going to see the film in theaters. In March 2021, the film's release was moved back again to September 17, 2021, and then moved a week later to September 24, 2021. In August 2021, amidst SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant surges in the United States, the film was delayed again to October 15, 2021. By the end of the month, Sony was reportedly considering delaying the film to Morbius's release date of January 21, 2022, following continued Delta variant surges and low box office returns for films released earlier in August. However, Variety reported that the studio was not planning to move the film again at that time. "

MikeM

Come on October 1st. WE NEED THIS! Day 1 purchase at launch.

And Sony- make me a damn Venom only game. Dark and gritty. Rated M please. K thanks!

NahaNago

The movie was okay. I kept having the feeling that the movie should have been rated R. Like they should have went into the horror movie direction for this movie because of Cassidy. It would have fit really well and we could have had lots of gruesome bloody deaths. The movie felt more like a continuation of the last movie rather than a sequel. If you enjoyed the last movie then this movie would be simply be an alright film for you.

Thinking about it Venom movies are that quintessential late 90s/early 2000s CBMs with modern CGI and special effects.

The movie was okay. I kept having the feeling that the movie should have been rated R. Like they should have went into the horror movie direction for this movie because of Cassidy. It would have fit really well and we could have had lots of gruesome bloody deaths. The movie felt more like a continuation of the last movie rather than a sequel. If you enjoyed the last movie then this movie would be simply be an alright film for you.

Rated R would have likely made the movie better IMO. However my guess is Sony went to Marvel asking for their consent and Marvel probably said, "Sure we can do that, as long as we move Norman Osborn and Spider-Woman to the Marvel Named character part of the contract", or they said "Sure we can do that as long as wet all Live Action TV rights" and then Sony was like PG-13 it is.

Kenpachii

Problem the first one also had, its to marvel feeling aka kid friendly. Venom could be some awsome stuff. But its played to safe.

ManaByte

Thinking about it Venom movies are that quintessential late 90s/early 2000s CBMs with modern CGI and special effects.

Rated R would have likely made the movie better IMO. However my guess is Sony went to Marvel asking for their consent and Marvel probably said, "Sure we can do that, as long as we move Norman Osborn and Spider-Woman to the Marvel Named character part of the contract", or they said "Sure we can do that as long as wet all Live Action TV rights" and then Sony was like PG-13 it is.

The funny thing is I can picture the look on Avi Arad's face when Feige tells him to shut up and go play with his shitty villain universe.

The funny thing is I can picture the look on Avi Arad's face when Feige tells him to shut up and go play with his shitty villain universe.

I wouldn't say shitty vilain universe simply because IMO SM is probably Top 3 rogue gallery in Comic Books next to X-Men and Batman, but if you mean that Arad and Sony don't really know how to use them like Fox didn't know how to use X-Men and FF then you are right.

And we still don't know what Marvel got for allowing Sony to use Peter Porker, maybe just goodwill at the time? Maybe it was part of the initial agreement in 2015? Not sure, but we know Marvel asked for Ego just for allowing Fox to change Negasonic. So if their consent is needed they'll certainly ask for something and given they have FF and XMen now I'm guessing they'd ask for more than they would otherwise.

ManaByte

I wouldn't say shitty vilain universe simply because IMO SM is probably Top 3 rogue gallery in Comic Books next to X-Men and Batman, but if you mean that Arad and Sony don't really know how to use them like Fox didn't know how to use X-Men and FF then you are right.

And we still don't know what Marvel got for allowing Sony to use Peter Porker, maybe just goodwill at the time? Maybe it was part of the initial agreement in 2015? Not sure, but we know Marvel asked for Ego just for allowing Fox to change Negasonic. So if their consent is needed they'll certainly ask for something and given they have FF and XMen now I'm guessing they'd ask for more than they would otherwise.

Allowing a R rated movie with any Spider-Man character would be huge ask that I doubt Sony would be willing to give up anything big enough for.

NahaNago

But Sony should own the movie rights to venom and carnage and they are for more deadlier in the comics. I was figuring that the pg-13 rating was so that they could have the whole family watch the movie and they could add venom to the mcu somehow.

Last edited:
But Sony should own the movie rights to venom and carnage and they are for more deadlier in the comics. I was figuring that the pg-13 rating was so that they could have the whole family watch the movie and they could add venom to the mcu somehow.

Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man and subsidiary characters, however they must abide by certain rules if they want to release it without Marvel's consent. One of those rules is that ALL movies must be PG-13 or lower. Another rule is that ALL movies must have a theatrical release first before being exploited in other mediums. Had they tried to release a rated R Venom without Marvel's consent they'd be breaching the contract and risk losing the license.

sol_bad

Seems like this made 11.6 million on opening night, more than Shang Chi. So this movie might also make over 200 million domestically in America. Curious to see the international box office.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It will have stiff competition, relatively speaking, for the rest of the month. I am thinking it will have a steep drop, due to that and mediocre word of mouth.

If not, I blame the post-credit scene.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man and subsidiary characters, however they must abide by certain rules if they want to release it without Marvel's consent. One of those rules is that ALL movies must be PG-13 or lower. Another rule is that ALL movies must have a theatrical release first before being exploited in other mediums. Had they tried to release a rated R Venom without Marvel's consent they'd be breaching the contract and risk losing the license.
Is that just a spiderman rule cause Blade and Deadpool was rated R.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm sorry but this seems doubtful. I'm sure that they have some rules for spiderman that they can't break but the spiderman universe has tons of dark storylines that would easily be rated R if made for movies. We had rate R logan, rated r deadpool, rated r blade all before this and there was even that darker screen test of toby for spiderman that almost felt like a horror scene. Couldn't it have simply been they wanted venom in the MCU and they can't exactly do that if he goes all rated R, plus pg-13 allows for more folks to watch it in theaters.

ManaByte

Is that just a spiderman rule cause Blade and Deadpool was rated R.

It's in the agreement between Sony and Marvel. Blade was made by New Line ad Deadpool was Fox.
I'm sorry but this seems doubtful. I'm sure that they have some rules for spiderman that they can't break but the spiderman universe has tons of dark storylines that would easily be rated R if made for movies. We had rate R logan, rated r deadpool, rated r blade all before this and there was even that darker screen test of toby for spiderman that almost felt like a horror scene. Couldn't it have simply been they wanted venom in the MCU and they can't exactly do that if he goes all rated R, plus pg-13 allows for more folks to watch it in theaters.

I'm sorry if you don't believe it, but the contract became public during the Sony hack and it's right there in black and white. The movies cannot have a rating higher than PG-13.

NahaNago

It's in the agreement between Sony and Marvel. Blade was made by New Line ad Deadpool was Fox.

I'm sorry if you don't believe it, but the contract became public during the Sony hack and it's right there in black and white. The movies cannot have a rating higher than PG-13.
So this is what I got

"the agreement spells out that mandatory Spider-Man traits must always strictly conform to the following list: male; does not torture; does not kill in defense of self or others; does not use foul language beyond PG-13; does not smoke tobacco; does not sell/distribute illegal drugs; does not abuse alcohol; does not have sex before the age of 16; does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16; and is not a homosexual"

But all of this pertains to spiderman but what about the other characters. This just tells me that spiderman can't actually do anything that would make a rated R movie but that doesn't mean villains couldn't do any of these things in his movie. I could just be nitpicking though. The homosexual part makes me laugh.

ManaByte

So this is what I got

"the agreement spells out that mandatory Spider-Man traits must always strictly conform to the following list: male; does not torture; does not kill in defense of self or others; does not use foul language beyond PG-13; does not smoke tobacco; does not sell/distribute illegal drugs; does not abuse alcohol; does not have sex before the age of 16; does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16; and is not a homosexual"

But all of this pertains to spiderman but what about the other characters. This just tells me that spiderman can't actually do anything that would make a rated R movie but that doesn't mean villains couldn't do any of these things in his movie. I could just be nitpicking though. The homosexual part makes me laugh.

That's just some site paraphrasing the agreement. The actual text says the movies cannot be more than PG-13. That applies to all 900 Spider-Man characters Sony has access to including Venom, Carnage, and Peter Parker's dentist as they're all under the Spider-Man "umbrella" that the deal applies to.

Last edited:

NahaNago

That's just some site paraphrasing the agreement. The actual text says the movies cannot be more than PG-13. That applies to all 900 Spider-Man characters Sony has access to including Venom, Carnage, and Peter Parker's dentist as they're all under the Spider-Man "umbrella" that the deal applies to.
You are killing me. I'm really wanting a rated R origin story from one of his villains.

ManaByte

You are killing me. I'm really wanting a rated R origin story from one of his villains.

You can blame Sony for deciding to create a villain shared universe using the characters they have access to. By doing that, they're bound by the agreement to use those characters which says they can't make a R rated movie.

NahaNago

You can blame Sony for deciding to create a villain shared universe using the characters they have access to. By doing that, they're bound by the agreement to use those characters which says they can't make a R rated movie.
Found it in the contract.

PICTURE REQUIREMENTS. Each Picture must have an all-in budget of not less than $75M, qualify for a PG-13 rating and have an initial domestic theatrical release of no less than 2000 screens.

I'm kind of surprised Sony was okay with only the pg-13 rating in the contract. This pretty much neuters any villain movie unless they are going for a sob story like they almost tried to do with Carnage. How did they think they could make movie with a character who kills people like crazy, bites off heads, and you still keep the movie pg-13 without it hurting the movie. Villain origin story horror like movies would have been amazing.

ManaByte

I'm kind of surprised Sony was okay with only the pg-13 rating in the contract. This pretty much neuters any villain movie unless they are going for a sob story like they almost tried to do with Carnage. How did they think they could make movie with a character who kills people like crazy, bites off heads, and you still keep the movie pg-13 without it hurting the movie. Villain origin story horror like movies would have been amazing.

Because at the time they weren't going to make villain movies. That idea only came about after TASM2 flopped and they had to crawl to Marvel to save their franchise. With Marvel Studios making their Spider-Man movies for them, they had to give Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach something to do (because the agreement with Marvel Studios specifically keeps them away from Spider-Man) so they came up with their own Sony shared universe using the other Spider-Man characters they have access to.

Top Bottom