• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Morbius in particular made fun of?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I've seen it now and it wasn't good, but it wasn't any worse than Venom 2 or Ant-Man 3 or Eternals either. Was that really just because of the trailer? It's Morbin Time. This line was not even in the movie.

I think it was the worst capeshit movie I’ve ever seen…save for Corman’s Fantastic Four. Awful plot, dialogue, premise, and acting. Utter shite.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It...was.

Venom 2 had Tom Hardy and Woody Harrelson chewing the scenery and being chaotic and fun as hell. Really cool final fight too. Ant-Man 3 was an MCU misfire but in those cases, it's mediocre at worst. Not a good film but not Morbius either. Eternals was over ambitious and tried to pack too much within it's run time but kudos for it's commitment.

Morbius HAVE SEX HAVE SEX POOP MY PANTS MY PANTS POP MY TENT MY TENT. But it sure made me morb out more than all the other 3 combined. Scanning for Morbheads...

Spyxos

Gold Member
It...was.

Venom 2 had Tom Hardy and Woody Harrelson chewing the scenery and being chaotic and fun as hell. Really cool final fight too. Ant-Man 3 was an MCU misfire but in those cases, it's mediocre at worst. Not a good film but not Morbius either. Eternals was over ambitious and tried to pack too much within it's run time but kudos for it's commitment.

Morbius HAVE SEX HAVE SEX POOP MY PANTS MY PANTS POP MY TENT MY TENT. But it sure made me morb out more than all the other 3 combined. Scanning for Morbheads...
I didn't get along with Venom 2 at all. I found it all just silly. Venom 1 was at least still watchable.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It was a confluence of examples of how studio-driven works of art get everything wrong - combined with funny social media memes making fun of it.

The title sounds like a parody, that can’t help. The particular combination of the letters “morb” seem to lack any weight or seriousness. I guess it’s probably supposed to suggest the word morbid but it just ends up sounding goofy.

kunonabi

The movie feels like it's written by an A.i or at best somebody who has never seen a movie and is just making it based off second hand info

It's also the safest, blandest take on the material you could make. It really should have been the Crow with splashes of Dario Argento color and blood.

bitbydeath

Morbin Time. This line was not even in the movie.
Apparently it was in the cinematic release but I waited for streaming and missed it.

The movie was alright, way better than Eternals and Captain Marvel which I think are the worst MCU movies.

Last edited:

MAtgS

I never understand why the internet ever fixates on anything, really. How the fuck did the steamed clams scene from that one Simpsons episode suddenly became something everyone shits themselves silly over 20-30 years later? Why that scene, why now?

I never understand why the internet ever fixates on anything, really. How the fuck did the steamed clams scene from that one Simpsons episode suddenly became something everyone shits themselves silly over 20-30 years later? Why that scene, why now?
Yeah, remember when they tried to strongarm Hollywood into casting Danny Devito as detective pikachu? I mean the universe is just chaos with some fleeting sprinklings of order, I guess the internet is just another expression of it.

Toons

Apparently it was in the cinematic release but I waited for streaming and missed it.

This is not true, the line was literally made up by the internet and somehow became attached to this films reputation lol. Its wild to think the filmgoing audience kinda pushed itself into inventing a movie line that doesnt exist but it happened.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Venom 2 WAS silly but that's it's charm. The symbiote having a neon coming out...come on. That shit was completely tongue in cheek and knew exactly what it was. Morbius played itself straight....into the bin.

Needs AI for a compelling sell. 7/10

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is not true, the line was literally made up by the internet and somehow became attached to this films reputation lol. Its wild to think the filmgoing audience kinda pushed itself into inventing a movie line that doesnt exist but it happened.
Because the meme line is better than the movie.

And then the studio thinking the memes meant people liked the turd, they re-released it in theaters, and no one went see it!

This was probably the funniest part of the whole situation. Studio was so out of touch that it actually thought re-releasing the flick after it was mocked/memed into oblivion was a good idea.
People that probably make 7 figure salaries thought this was gonna work. It's like Olympic level stupidity, they need a medal for this.

DKehoe

It looked silly and unlike something like Venom, which is willing to lean into that, it took itself very seriously.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
hF5ZH7A.jpg

DryvBy

I thought the same thing. I finished it with the lowest expectations and it wasn't horrible. X-Men 3 was a million times worse.

Banned
it was among the worst, but also because it hit the meme jackpot with the "morbing time" stuff... morbing is just a dun word to say.

so if you're peak meme for a time, AND you're a shit movie, then you'll get destroyed.

Lunarorbit

Jared Leto has no chops to pull off a super hero/villian. They gave him the emo vampire role and it still came out bad.

Madflavor

The best part of Morbius is when the studio re-released it in theaters, because it gained popularity due to the meme, and it just bombed again.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It was pretty bad honestly, even for a superhero movie. The plot just wasn't that interesting and unironically the movie reminds me of Redfall in a lot of ways. Its unfinished, it doesn't have a interesting world or plot, and its just about average at best.

Wildebeest

Social media is so manipulated, I just assume the studio themselves fuelled the jokes just to drum up any interest in the film.

Soltype

No it's about as crap as those other movies, it was just more apparent before launch than the other two.

Top Bottom