• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom: Let There Be Carnage Trailer

LMJ

To the guy talking about why Woody,s never bald in movies lol

Woody Harrelson Crying GIF

Last edited:
If I helmed a Venom flick it would be a very different beast.

I love the comic book character.

Would be lying though if I said I didnt have a fun time with the first movie.

And Harrelson as Kassady/Carnage? Marriage made in hell.

Im seeing it.

Aggelos

I don't think people should point to Andy Serkis as a Director being a good thing. He directed Mowgli which sucked ass.

He may turn out to be a good director in the future, but historically he's not a good one right now.

Big fan of Andy Serkis. Why not him given a break to direct some symbiotes and their shenanigans?

Weta Digital just uploaded this.

sol_bad

Big fan of Andy Serkis. Why not him given a break to direct some symbiotes and their shenanigans?

Weta Digital just uploaded this.

Did you see his Jungle Book movie? Not good.

I'm personally curious how this movies box office will do. I know the first film made nearly a billion and I'm wondering if people actually liked the film or if people just turned up because of it's name.

I thought the first one was entertaining for what it was. Granted I had low expectations going into it l, and know very little about comic book lore.

i just realized stephen graham is in this

this guy does serious roles and he's one of those serious performance type actors

and now he is in venom

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I'm not really on board quite yet. Not liking the comedy bits in this. And I think that supposed Shriek at the 1:22 mark. If it is then this movie is already on a bad start. What is up with Hollywood's obsession with black people in white characters' roles?
ba56cf8895d3591e2715f733a5952492.jpg

Considering her design is basically black leather with pale white skin.
It's very amusing
Doesn't mean the pale white skin and leather is off the cards though
Does make you question how they went about casting 🤔
It's like Prince Harry auditioning to be the next Black Panther
Domino is black now too, but are we really going to sit here and act like Shriek was a star player or memorable enough to care about who played her?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Domino is black now too, but are we really going to sit here and act like Shriek was a star player or memorable enough to care about who played her?
I don't think it matters, I'm just curious what the audition process was.
Because it's never a free for all & best person gets the job, they go for a certain look, characteristics etc and the best of that gets the job.
You can apply but they always have a check list.
So what was theirs when they auditioned for the role.
I mean I wouldn't audition for Shaft and if I did I wouldn't get it.

kunonabi

Yeah, she was one of the more defining elements of Maximum Carnage and considering that they got Woody to play carnage it's obvious that dynamic made some sort of mark on someone at the studio too.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it matters, I'm just curious what the audition process was.
Because it's never a free for all & best person gets the job, they go for a certain look, characteristics etc and the best of that gets the job.
You can apply but they always have a check list.
So what was theirs when they auditioned for the role.
I mean I wouldn't audition for Shaft and if I did I wouldn't get it.
I think D level comic book characters are fair game to any race or type, as long as they do a good job with acting. No one really gave a damn about Shriek and we don't even know if they'll give her a big enough role for people to give a damn in this movie too.

Azurro

Banned
EEEEEHHHHHH
The first part of the trailer certainly does not have me on board. So dumb.
I did not like the first movie and Andy Serkis directing does not have me excited after his Jungle Book film.

Come on, they even switched some character race in this and you like everything anyway, so I'm sure you'll love it. ;)

The trailer looks alright, leaning into what worked in the first movie, but hopefully the next trailer will have a bit more action.

Last edited:

Labolas

I think D level comic book characters are fair game to any race or type, as long as they do a good job with acting. No one really gave a damn about Shriek and we don't even know if they'll give her a big enough role for people to give a damn in this movie too.
I agree she is a minor character. My question is why even cast the character in the first place? And why do such a shitty job with her look? Is it laziness or did they want to show they've got a black person a role? I think it's both. It's like they didn't even try. I don't have a problem with the actor being black or mixed as long as they fucking try to make it accurate to the source material.

Kenpachii

Straight up having mouth open the trailer

Honestly they should have made a horror movie with venom instead of this boring venom vs venom shit that killed the first movie for me entirely.

Also after deadpool came out every single of those trailers is about "trying to be deadpool funny" which is getting really really old to the point its just cringe.

Not digging it, at all. Seems to have the same flaws at the first one which was so lackbusting i couldn't even care about the ending and just shut it off.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
looks by the numbers meh....

what are they doing different from part 1? looks the same plot to me...

hopefully sony dont get hold of mcu spidey 🤷‍♀️

Davey Cakes

I liked the first one about as much as a low-middle tier Marvel film. Saw it at the theater with a friend and left in a good mood.

This doesn't look a whole lot better, but could surprise me if the story plays out in a more satisfying way. Carnage is a way better villain than the wet fart in the first movie. There's potential.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Seeing two cgi symbiote battle does not excite me in the least. Maybe if there was something else to attach myself to, but the light sprinkle of comedy/drama isn’t going to get me engaged in these characters, so the action would have to be show-stopping to entertain me.

McCheese

Oof, the CGI looks worse than the Spiderman PS5 game; especially the Woody transforming into Carnage which they deemed good enough to repeat 3 times in the one trailer.

Is it just me or does the CGI look like claymation?
Yup. The CGI looks really off to me. In the comics I always imagined the symbiote to be less viscous.

Watched about half of the last movie and thought it was meh, this doesn't look a whole lot better unfortunately, which sucks because Venom/Eddie Brock is such a cool character

Amiga

Looks dumb just like the first movie...Venom was the best spiderman villain and hes been made into a joke in all the movies.

I was hoping the new marvel spiderman movie would finally get him in there done right but they never even introduced the black suit into the mcu ..yet

xamazing-spider-man-316.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9LB4o6XEQb.jpg

Venom in his movie is true to the character. a playful but deadly parasite. he has a big grin for a reason.

Looks way better than the first one, but why is the whole eddie vs venom arc still a thing tho, a whole movie worth of that already.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I haven't seen the first but this trailer makes the movie look like dumb fun. Maybe I'll watch the first before this releases.

Rickyiez

Straight up having mouth open the trailer

Honestly they should have made a horror movie with venom instead of this boring venom vs venom shit that killed the first movie for me entirely.

Also after deadpool came out every single of those trailers is about "trying to be deadpool funny" which is getting really really old to the point its just cringe.

Not digging it, at all. Seems to have the same flaws at the first one which was so lackbusting i couldn't even care about the ending and just shut it off.
Agreed , my childhood idea on a big screen Venom movie was always straight up horror . It's something like a vicious Venom that haunt the shit out of Spidey , and then on top of that a demented Carnage which is even crazier.

Now we're getting kid movies with terrible CGI and corny ass dialogues sigh

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not feeling this at all. Jokes didn't land for me and the special effects look laughable.

Hard pass.

FunkMiller

Nice to see a sequel featuring an anti hero that’s based on Spider-Man, and a villain that looks even more like Spider-Man….. that has nothing to do with Spider-Man.

What a weird, fucked up mess superhero Hollywood is right now.

And don’t get me started on the thirty eight different fucking Batmans we’ve got coming down the pipe next year.

Amiga

They got Brock wrong though, and by extension his relationship with the symbiote.

Hard to get Brock correctly though. he wasn't consistently portrayed in the comics. hardly any comics depiction would be work for a standalone protagonist movie role.

Soltype

Hard to get Brock correctly though. he wasn't consistently portrayed in the comics. hardly any comics depiction would be work for a standalone protagonist movie role.
You got a point, I just think Hardys rendition is way too meek to be Eddie Brock.

sol_bad

Can't tell if serious, but...we'll never get Spider-Man as a "surprise" in blockbuster film. They'd be hyping it to hell and back.

In all fairness, they didn't "hype the hell out of it" for Civil War. I remember the trailers just showing small snippets of him.

*EDIT*
But yeah, I'll be annoyed if Tom Holland does show up in the film.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
In all fairness, they didn't "hype the hell out of it" for Civil War. I remember the trailers just showing small snippets of him.

*EDIT*
But yeah, I'll be annoyed if Tom Holland does show up in the film.
That counts, imo. Putting the character in the trailer and marketing vs keeping it a secret, is what I am getting at. Two very diff things.

Last edited:

tuco11

Amazing spiderman #361 first appearance of Carnage is $$$ right now. Glad I bought 3 of them in a 7/11 store 25+ yrs ago lol. Maybe I can flip them for a Series X .

A.Romero

Venom is nothing without Spiderman. They fucked it up by starting the franchise without linking it to Spidey.

That said and taking this as a completely new thing that doesn't really have a relation with the original character from the comics, it's fine as an action movie. At least the cast is well done.

Eddie Brock was also painted pretty meek in the original movie universe.

Top Bottom