• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

Lethal01

The title says it all, I'm extremely excited to hopefully get some of the more technical details on how Nanite works, and maybe if we are lucky we see some more footage of the PS5 "Lumen in Nanite" demo, may look even better than last time since they've had a year to improve it. They will be showing off a "new sample project" It would be great if this were something entirely new but I could see it just being the Lumen demo made publicly available.

They also released some behind-the-scenes videos taken from before the demo was shown but it's really nothing new at all. UE5 is still the best showcase of "next gen" graphics I've seen so I'm absolutely starving to see more.

3670727-unreal_engine_5_13.jpg

Last edited:

CamHostage

To get you caught up before Wednesday's livestream, there are also three new feature videos about new Unreal Engine technology (not really new footage, though, unless you count offscreens of devkit testing), as well as a behind-the-scenes of what it took to make last year's UE5 demo.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned

The title says it all, I'm extremely excited to hopefully get some of the more technical details on how Nanite works, and maybe if we are lucky we see some more footage of the PS5 "Lumen in Nanite" demo, may look even better than last time since they've had a year to improve it. They will be showing off a "new sample project" It would be great if this were something entirely new but I could see it just being the Lumen demo made publicly available.

They also released some behind-the-scenes videos taken from before the demo was shown but it's really nothing new at all. UE5 is still the best showcase of "next gen" graphics I've seen so I'm absolutely starving to see more.

3670727-unreal_engine_5_13.jpg

I hope they showcase a different, less bland demo.

CamHostage

I'll watch, maybe get another glimpse of some next gen stuff. I don't expect much for gamers to see though.

It is for sure a technical demonstration, and not a "game unveiling", so yes, if you are not a freak for tech deep-dives, come back for the highlights or check out the first actual games running on UE5 (which won't be shown here, unless the sample project is an actual game production, but that hasn't happened since Gears 1) to be seen in the near future, hopefully. This will be about pipelines and workflows and assets and development systems, not stuff you the gamer can play with.

Here's the description of what the livestream will contain:
Unreal Engine 5 will empower game developers and creators across all industries to realize next-generation real-time 3D content and experiences with greater freedom, fidelity, and flexibility than ever before.

Join us at 10am EDT on May 26 as Chance Ivey, Senior Technical Designer at Epic Games and Galen Davis, Producer/Evangelist for Quixel at Epic Games provide a first look at new game development tools and workflows that will be available with Unreal Engine 5 before exploring a new sample project.
TAGS

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
It doesn't use PS5 raytracing hardware, it absolutely traces rays, and regardless of that, unlike Ratchet and Clank it has realtime dynamic GI.

https://developer-tech.com/news/2020/may/14/unreal-engine-5-demo-ps5-ray-tracing/#:~:text=On%20ray-tracing%20specifically%2C%20Epic,expressing%20concern%20about%20the%20PS5.&text=“%5BRay-tracing%5D%20on%20console%20will%20be%20great.

It does not.

Dropping to 1440p doesn’t bode well, especially at just 30 FPS and without ray-tracing. However, Epic claims the demo was to show off Unreal Engine 5’s tech and “trade-offs” to deliver specific resolutions, frame rates, and features will be up to developers. On ray-tracing specifically, Epic Games confirmed that it was not used in the PS5 tech demo but it will be supported in Unreal Engine 5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cant wait for this. I hope they really go in depth on the engine and show off what it can look like on a high end PC all the way down to a switch - Mobile. Also, please announce a release date for the PC demo etc.

It would be really great if they released the PS5 demo as a playable real time run through. It doesnt need to even be playable with the character, but have it controlled and let the user change settings etc on the fly. That would be cool imo.

Last edited:

Lethal01

https://developer-tech.com/news/2020/may/14/unreal-engine-5-demo-ps5-ray-tracing/#:~:text=On%20ray-tracing%20specifically%2C%20Epic,expressing%20concern%20about%20the%20PS5.&text=“%5BRay-tracing%5D%20on%20console%20will%20be%20great.

It does not.

Dropping to 1440p doesn’t bode well, especially at just 30 FPS and without ray-tracing. However, Epic claims the demo was to show off Unreal Engine 5’s tech and “trade-offs” to deliver specific resolutions, frame rates, and features will be up to developers. On ray-tracing specifically, Epic Games confirmed that it was not used in the PS5 tech demo but it will be supported in Unreal Engine 5.

It does, it traces rays through a voxel structure. VXGI is raytracing. Just not the specific brand of raytracing teh Nvidia has been making people associate the word with, however they have stated they are looking into accelerating lumen using PS5 hardware.

With the level of fidelity it showcased, the demo could have been showcased at 1080p 30fps and still be ridiculously impressive.
Epic has stated the final release will be aiming to achieve 60fps. So yes it being 1440p bodes extrmeely well unless you arbitiarily decide that if something doesn't it native 4k it's not a good showcase of power.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

It does, it traces rays through a voxel structure. VXGI is raytracing. Just not the specific brand of raytracing teh Nvidia has been making people associate the word with, however they have stated they are looking into accelerating lumen using PS5 hardware.

With the level of fidelity it showcased, the demo could have been showcased at 1080p 30fps and still be ridiculously impressive.
Epic has stated the final release will be aiming to achieve 60fps. So yes it being 1440p bodes extrmeely well unless you arbitiarily decide that if something doesn't it native 4k it's not a good showcase of power.

When developers talk about raytracing they are specifically referring to real time triangle raytracing. Voxel and Screen Space techniques predate what Nvidia introduced and no one, not Epic or Crytech were ever calling it raytracing. They still don't now. Its disingenuous of people now to start calling those techniques that to latch on to a popular word and causes nothing but confusion.

Last edited:

Darius87

When developers talk about raytracing they are specifically referring to real time triangle raytracing. Voxel and Screen Space techniques predate what Nvidia introduced and no one, not Epic or Crytech were ever calling it raytracing. They still don't now. Its disingenuous of people now to start calling those techniques that to latch on to a popular word and causes nothing but confusion.
so if voxel RT or other RT technique uses RT intersection HW that means it's not RT?

Md Ray

not Epic or Crytech were ever calling it raytracing.
You sure about that?
"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."
Here Epic's graphics tech director, Mr. Daniel calls it ray tracing.
Source.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

You sure about that?

Here Epic's tech director, Mr. Daniel calls it ray tracing.
Source.

Triangle Raytracing is "realtime raytracing". That's been understood. No need to blur the lines now.

They certainly weren't blurring the lines way back in 2015. Why call it "raytracing" now?

Last edited:

Md Ray

Triangle Raytracing is "realtime raytracing". Thats been understood. No need to blur the lines now.

They certainly weren't blurring the lines way back in 2015.
Here Crytek also calls it ray tracing:
Neon Noir was developed on a bespoke version of CRYENGINE 5.5, and the experimental ray tracing feature based on CRYENGINE’s Total Illumination used to create the demo is both API and hardware agnostic, enabling ray tracing to run on most mainstream, contemporary AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.
Source.

Why call it "raytracing" now?
I'm just going by the creators' (Epic and Crytek) terminologies and distinctions.

Last edited:

sendit

Yep, most impressive showcase for next gen. More impressive than the incredibly static Marbles demo.

Nautilus

Banned
Companies all over the world became rather fond of annuncing stuff this thursday, didn't they?

On topic, it's gonna be interesting to read after this airs on what else it is capable of.

.Pennywise

Banned
This is where they show what the Engine is capable of and show things that we won't be seeing in any game whatsoever? Nice!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'll wait for NXGamer NXGamer video breakdown on it, in the meantime Epic could you be so nice as to release that Nanite demo you showcased on the PS5 so we can all have a play with it, cheers

Top Bottom