• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: RoboCop Rogue City - DF Tech Review - Unreal Engine 5 Shines on PS5/Xbox Series X/S

Elysium44

Banned
I wouldn't say that, it generally runs ~10 FPS worse in open city traversal in the Performance, Quality mode runs about the same on both.

Visually the PS5 version looks nicer, with less bugs and a higher native resolution in Quality mode, but in terms of performance the SX is ahead in the 60 FPS mode.

U99kfkq.png

Those graphics and that scene remind me of Resident Evil 3, except that runs at 60-120ps even on a Series S.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, I didn’t realize how gorgeous this game was on consoles. Are people sleeping on this game? I certainly was…

Darsxx82

If the resolution on the Series' consoles aren't a bug,I think it's Tayon's way of developing on two consoles at once.
In principle I would understand that in XSX something would not be working properly in the quality mode and its resolution. Resolutions is not scaling properly compared to performance mode with which there is hardly any difference.

I think that joint development with XSS sometimes leaves shared commitments (we already saw the last gen between XBO and XBO X).

That said, what should be most surprising about this analysis is that XSS is moving the game to a native 1080p resolution before upscaling by UE5's TSR to 1440p. It is the same resolution as XSX in both modes and with which it shares the ground bug in the specific mission.

It's also the same (or even higher) resolution as the XSX and PS5 in the Matrix demo, and double that of the XSS itself in that demo. It is true that there is a cut in Lumen and reflections and that in the Matrix demo all the consoles (XSS included) used RT hardware, but it is still a more than very decent result in XSS compared to what has been seen in other recent UE5 games.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, I've been super sleep on this game. It looks really good!

It's the throw animations that sold me though. I laugh everytime I see it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I heard from someone who played it that they play off one another to some extent, so that's probably a great idea!
If I have time this weekend, I think I’ll do just that!

Side note, I can’t ever have a Robocop conversation without sharing this masterpiece. Very NSFW, btw.

Lysandros

I wouldn't say that, it generally runs ~10 FPS worse in open city traversal in the Performance, Quality mode runs about the same on both.

Visually the PS5 version looks nicer, with less bugs and a higher native resolution in Quality mode, but in terms of performance the SX is ahead in the 60 FPS mode.

U99kfkq.png
It isn't apples to apples, PS5 has more processing to do due to higher quality ground assets (and related reflection cost) here.
8rf56fy.jpg

Accurate reflection in accordance with differing road surface should undeniably be more computationally expensive as stated in the video. Furthermore the reflection itself seem to be higher quality on PS5.

Another interesting thing is in quality mode XSX is shown to drop as low as mid 20's in some shootouts and also has traversal stutters also dropping the framerate, PS5 is said to be 'similar' performance wise despite running at ~70% higher internal resolution but sub 30 FPS drops akin to XSX are not shown/found in the video. All things considered i do not think that XSX is 'outperforming' PS5 overall in this game besides looking worse.

Last edited:

skit_data

Side note, I can’t ever have a Robocop conversation without sharing this masterpiece. Very NSFW, btw.

Lol, I've been looking everywhere for that clip! Saw it a couple of years ago and it's so fucking funny and insanely well made in all its gory glory!

I think it used to be on youtube originally but when I was to show it to a friend a couple of months ago it had been removed (which makes perfect sense given the content)

Darsxx82

~70% higher base resolution on PS5 compared to XSX in quality mode is quite surprising.
As surprising as that the resolution of the 30fps quality mode does not scale in proportion to the 60fps performance mode.... or that the XSX quality mode maintains the same resolution as the XSS version, which I don't think has improved its hardware from one day to the next. other.

That is, the most logical thing is to think that something must not be working correctly in that quality mode in XSX.
It isn't apples to apples, PS5 has more processing to do due to higher quality ground assets here. The interesting thing is in quality mode XSX is shown to drop as low as mid 20's in some shootouts and also has traversal stutters also dropping the framerate, PS5 is said to be 'similar' performance wise despite running at ~70% higher internal resolution but sub 30 FPS drops akin to XSX are not shown/found in the video. All things considered i do not think that XSX is 'outperforming' PS5 overall in this game besides looking worse.
That "theory" would make sense if in that same scene the performance mode didn't drop to 20s fps too..... but the fact is that it does and that's why your argument loses its basis.

It is clear that this scene goes beyond being related to the active resolution.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think it is important to show how PS5 performs in those action instances instead of just saying that it is 'similar'. it would be the correct way to back that statement by the video showing the PS5 FPS counter dropping this low.

Performance mode:
iw9GIiu.jpg

Quality mode:
BGHDbSN.jpg
You have enough videos on YouTube to corroborate your tipycal doubts about the honesty of DF..... 😏

But OK, at least it's funny to see you make a triple corkscrew from one argument to another in just 1 post 😉

Ronin_7

Banned
UE5's Full Suite:

- Full suite of UE5 features.
- Software Lumen GI used in place of typical GI
- Very consistent and accurate lighting
- Indirect lighting can be slightly coarse as it is tracing at a low resolution
- Some instances of light leaking also spotted
- But, not an issue 'overwhelmingly amount of times'.

- Software lumen reflections are also present along with screen space reflections
- Reflections aren't perfect and NPC's are only reflected in SSR.
- Foliage and animated elements don't animate in reflections and they aren't applied on all surfaces

- Virtual shadow maps also used using high res shadow maps.
- Unreal's ray traced shadow map technique also used
- More diffused shadows at distance just like real life.
- Super fine detail up close. Some shadows can be unnaturally sharp however, but terrific looking generally.

- Nanite also used for great LoD management.
- Best seen in dense natural rocky areas.

- Physics also used liberally with lots of destruction in environments.

Console Comparison:

- PS5/SX have 30 FPS Quality and 60 fps Performance mode.
- Software lumen used in both but quality a little worse in Performance mode.
- Transparent surfaces render higher quality in Quality mode.
- Likely more differences but nothing stands out.

- Series X:
- Both modes targeting 1440p final resolution using up-scaling from 1080p
- DRS possible but not noticed

- PS5:
- Same metrics in visuals features
- PS5 Quality mode seems to run natively at 1440p instead of upscaling providing a slightly cleaner final image.
- Both Xbox consoles have rendering bug on asphalt that PC/PS5 does not, DF thinks this is a bug.
- Some reflections in select locations look higher quality on PS5. (police station)

- Performance:

- Series X:
- SX runs at 60 in most area and fire fightss, drops to 40s and even low 30's in heavy stressed combat areas.
- Cutscenes target 60 but do not reach it in most cases
- Traversal stutter also seen.
- Quality mode is more stable with lesser traversal stutters
- Motion blur only seems to work in one mission, in other missions having it toggled on doesn't do anything.

- PS5
- More or less the same as SX in terms of stutter, quality mode performance etc.
- In Performance mode, PS5 suffers from significant frame rate dips in open world traversal, 10~ FPS lower versus SX,
- DF thinks it might be because of PS5 not having the asphalt rendering bug seen on Xbox

- Load times are very fast on all consoles

Series S:
- Lumen reflections are absent
- Lumen GI is present but lower quality compared to SX/PS5
- Still very good but not as stable as the other machines.
- Virtual shadow map also present but scaled back.
- Other visual settings are mostly the same
- Output resolution is 1440p with internal 1080p
- Frame rate mostly same as Quality mode on PS5/SX
- More frequent dips to 20s in stress fire fights
My man

Vergil1992

I don't think there is much mystery here, the XSX version in performance mode is ahead, DF assumes it could be due to the problem on the asphalt. The example in fact does not seem to me to be just a difference of 10fps, actually on PS5 it can go at 49-50fps and on XSX at 60fps locked; The difference would probably be greater if the XSX framerate were unlocked. It is a performance difference very similar to that of Alan Wake 2. I don't think that if they fix the asphalt problem in penalize performance. But it's possible that PS5 is using a more demanding graphical setting here and they're even.

Honestly, I think DF hasn't looked into the framerate as much as it should. I have seen both versions on the move and definitely in XSX in performance mode it has a very tangible advantage, not only in the city, in many interiors it is definitely much closer to a lock at 60fps than PS5. They both have a severe stutter.

PS5 has much higher resolution in quality mode. Clearly there is an issue here where the version of XSX matches the version of XSS. Something similar happened in The Witcher 3, where a bug caused XSX to have the same graphic settings as XSS. Fortunately, this is usually fixed.

It's hard to point out a winning version here. If you are going to play at 30fps I would say the PS5 quality mode is the obvious choice, and if you are going to play at 60fps, XSX. But this could change in any patch. What doesn't make sense here is that on PS5 it runs at 1440p in quality mode and XSX at 1080p, and then "loses the game" in performance mode by a large difference.

Edit:
Lysandro, I think you're thinking too much about it. On PS5 it's not even close to a locked 30fps and has the same stutter as on Xbox Series. DF does not always show everything it says and other times it has "favored" other platforms, for example, saying that in XSX it had framerate drops that were not there in PS5, but it did not show it in the video.

PS5 suffers from framerate drops and especially transverse stuttering, and so does the XSX version. It also happens on PC. You are not being fooled, you can watch any video and see that in some areas there is stuttering on PS5.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Dude is doing sex change surgery for free on the streets, not even reeee can hate that type of cop.

Vergil1992

Y48hO6u.gif

gsjAFKB.gif

PS5 is rendering the whole city's surroundings, which is much more noticeable at night. More advanced/additional shaders as well.

DF not mentioning this lost me for good because it's absolutely impossible they missed this.
In what way? Quality or performance?

There are a few oddities in that comparison. In the first, one has clearly better graphic settings and also higher resolution.

In the one below, one has better graphic settings but a lower resolution.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Outside of some open world sections, the game performs and looks best on PS5.

Xbox Series X version seems to have some rendering bugs, as there are graphical effects present on PS5 and PC that are absent from the Series consoles.

The Series S version only has one mode - 30fps. Dips to 20fps are possible.

The game loads very fast - between 2 and 4 seconds, which is excellent!
Why do you think those bugs (difference in asset quality) happen always at the expense of XSX in UE5 titles like Fortnite and Immortals Of Aveum before this one, any ideas? By the way in the case of Aveum higher fidelity in some areas on PS5 was a deliberate choice offert by additional hardware headroom according to game's developer.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Why do you think those bugs (difference in asset quality) happen always at the expense of XSX in UE5 titles like Fortnight and Immortals Of Aveum before this one, any ideas? By the way in the case of Aveum higher fidelity in some areas on PS5 was a deliberate choice offert by additional hardware headroom according to game's developer.
Immortal of Aveum and Robocop outperform on XSX in terms of framerate, +10 frames between two "similar" platforms is a lot of difference.

The reason for the "higher fidelity" (which in Immortals of Aveum is questionable, the only place where it really has higher fidelity is in the game menu), is probably the version of XSS, I think XSX "inherits" some settings from its little sister and scale the resolution and framerate. That's why it shows such a strong performance advantage.

Honestly, I think the developer of Inmortal of Aveum simply wanted to favor the platform where they could sell the most units, just like the developer of Quantum Error. No games have shown differences that point to differences in memory. What's more, he seemed to completely leave out that his game ran better on XSX. The "higher fidelity" of PS5 was only noticeable in the introduction menu and the fact that it had a sharpening filter.

I think that XSS is simply becoming a problem, not because of the power itself, but because the 'lazier' developers could use the settings interchangeably. Developers like Remedy have not done it, and we see that Alan Wake 2 also works better in XSX having the same fidelity. Possibly that's why Remedy complained, because they did make very different versions taking advantage of each piece of hardware.

Last edited:

Vick

In what way? Quality or performance?
Both.

PC:
LM677BS.jpeg

PS5 (Quality):
robocop_roguecity_202nvdsx.png

Xbox Series X (Quality):
robocop_roguecity-20267i3l.png

PS5 (Performance):
oaCEJHw.png

In the one below, one has better graphic settings but a lower resolution.
Wrong. Both higher resolution and graphic settings as it matches the PC max settings. Those you see are additional wet shaders reflecting/showing bounce light.

All three versions present in this GIF, Xbox being the outlier.

CbF9tLt.gif

Someone has to call DF out because this is inexcusable.
I mean it's their goddamn job, in the past they spent hours dissecting the most imperceptible differences on X4 zoom and fail to notice something like this? In the later/last levels the city skyline is over present and goes on for miles and miles on PS5 in both modes, would be interesting to see comparisons of those.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Why do you think those bugs (difference in asset quality) happen always at the expense of XSX in UE5 titles like Fortnite and Immortals Of Aveum before this one, any ideas? By the way in the case of Aveum higher fidelity in some areas on PS5 was a deliberate choice offert by additional hardware headroom according to game's developer.
It wouldn't be a comparison thread without Lysandros inventing and contradicting himself in every argument...😅

The only difference in Fortnite is that XSX runs at a higher dynamic resolution (15%). Regarding Aveum, the reality is that the XSX version works at up to 11 fps ahead of PS5 at the same resolution and that on PS5 they use AMD's sharpness filter.

When one version (PS5) of a game runs up to 10fps less than another (XSX)....Saying that they adding extra graphic assets in The former one because they had space is absolutely laughable or at the very least a decision by the Studio more than questionable.

Not to mention that Avenum was patched and its resolution was raised to ~900p in both versions and the fps differences were maintained but in ranges and worse figures on both consoles due to the extra resolution...🤔

Last edited:

Lysandros

Y48hO6u.gif

gsjAFKB.gif

PS5 is rendering the whole city's surroundings, which is much more noticeable at night. More advanced/additional shaders as well.

DF not mentioning this lost me for good because it's absolutely impossible they missed this.
Looking at those, it should be quite difficult to miss indeed. To be fair he pointed out to higher quality reflections on PS5 in police station.

IPzcFPx.jpg

WuMrxxb.jpg

Last edited:

Vergil1992

Both.

PC:
LM677BS.jpeg

PS5 (Quality):
robocop_roguecity_202nvdsx.png

Xbox Series X (Quality):
robocop_roguecity-20267i3l.png

PS5 (Performance):
oaCEJHw.png

Wrong. Both higher resolution and graphic settings as it matches the PC max settings. Those you see are additional wet shaders reflecting/showing bounce light.

All three versions present in this GIF, Xbox being the outliner.

CbF9tLt.gif

Someone has to call DF out because this is inexcusable.
I mean it's their goddamn job, in the past they spent hours dissecting the most imperceptible differences on X4 zoom and fail to notice something like this? In the later/last levels the city skyline is over present and goes on for miles and miles on PS5 in both modes, would be interesting to see comparisons of those.
I don't see where the "XSX performance" image is.

If this comparison is true, it is incredible that DF has been overlooked, but it does not seem that they are visual degradations. Even on "low" on PC it doesn't look like those images:

The degradations of visual settings between low and ultra do not match PS5/XSX at all, even at its lowest settings it doesn't look like XSX (especially asphalt).

I don't think they are "intentional" visual differences, I think they are errors.
There is definitely a gap between low and ultra in terms of performance in this game, but the differences between low and ultra are totally different. The asphalt in "low" looks completely normal.
I see it too clearly that it is a bug, but I think DF should give it more importance. It is quite noticeable, especially at night walking around the city. The XSX asphalt looks really bad.

Last edited:

Vick

DF at it again.

Cant See Cheech Marin GIF
Looking at those, it should be quite difficult to miss indeed.

It's not just that they missed it, which would be crazy on its own, it's how they deliberately hid this in their comparison. The angles they shown on Downtown at night are basically the only possible views where the distant buildings are occluded from view.

It's incredible honestly, we've had banned sources for MUCH less.

Last edited:

sinnergy

AA game from small studio looking better than triple A exclusive games, what a time to be alive.
That is what UE5 was meant to bring to the table .. that is why also big studios have switched … but GAF kept on saying UE5 was shite … 🤣

Last edited:

sinnergy

It's not just that they missed it, which would be crazy on its own, it's how they deliberately hid this in their comparison. The angles they shown on Downtown at night are basically the only possible views where the distant buildings are occluded from view.

It are probably bugs, it is a small studio .. DF as no other knows how it all goes in this industry , don’t sweat it.

Vick

It are probably bugs, it is a small studio .. DF as no other knows how it all goes in this industry , don’t sweat it.
They always mentioned differences of this kind, usually accompanied by a "This is likely a bug and we've contacted the devs about it".

This time they didn't, and I'm not sure if you played the game but this ain't a minor thing.. those buildings/distant views are right in your face for the entire game.. except for rare angles like the one they chose for their comparison.

S0ULZB0URNE

It isn't apples to apples, PS5 has more processing to do due to higher quality ground assets (and related reflection cost) here. The interesting thing is in quality mode XSX is shown to drop as low as mid 20's in some shootouts and also has traversal stutters also dropping the framerate, PS5 is said to be 'similar' performance wise despite running at ~70% higher internal resolution but sub 30 FPS drops akin to XSX are not shown/found in the video. All things considered i do not think that XSX is 'outperforming' PS5 overall in this game besides looking worse.
DF and it's predictable damage control.

Lysandros

You are right and it's a recurrent thing. I honestly think you should post those pictures on Oliver's/DF Twitter (i do not have an account myself) and Eurogamer article's comment section.

Vick

You are right and it's a recurrent thing. I honestly think you should post those pictures on Oliver's/DF Twitter (i do not have an account myself) and Eurogamer article's comment section.
I'm not on Twitter either.
But someone definitely should.

60€ nah
Game is super fun, a love letter to RoboCop movies, one of the most satisfying FPS ever, possibly the most photorealistic environments of this Gen so far (most of the time), zero agendas/modern propaganda injected into it.

I would purchase way more games were they made with such honesty and love.

Last edited:

Vergil1992

The explanation I see is that the DF analyzes, even if they are done by a single person, talk among themselves about the different versions and he has probably spoken with Alex or seen the PC version.

In this case, the problems we see in XSX are not visual degradations that you can reproduce on PC, even at its lowest graphics settings. An AMD 6600, much less powerful than XSX, is capable of sustaining +30fps without problems in the quality of the asphalt.

Captura-de-pantalla-2023-11-14-211212.png

If you can't reproduce the problem on PC by lowering the settings... and you see what it looks like... well, DF must have thought it was a bug, and if it has bugs as serious as that, it probably has others. In fact, it seems like a problem of the same nature: an unloaded texture on buildings.

Perhaps DF has not given it too much importance because they have reason to think that the XSX version has bugs that the PS5 version does not. The main reason is that on PC the settings are not degraded in that way. And if we add a solid advantage in the framerate of XSX... everything points in the same direction. No developer would intentionally make one version that runs at 49fps while the other runs at a solid 60fps in the same location have better visual settings. It would not make sense.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not on Twitter either.
But someone definitely should.

Game is super fun, a love letter to RoboCop movies, one of the most satisfying FPS ever, possibly the most photorealistic environments of this Gen so far (most of the time), zero agendas/modern propaganda injected into it.

I would purchase way more games were they made with such honesty and love.

60£

Top Bottom