• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Deep Dive on May 26th

And there we go. PC was always able to run UE5 demo. Can't wait to download and play around with it.
Everyone should have known that though. Even in the deep dive video, there are several sections where they were editing the scene in real time. But I guess most people somehow thought it was a ps5 devkit. I didn't know ps5 devkits ran Microsoft windows 😂😆. At least this will shut up all of the "BuT tHe PoWeRfUl SsD!"

Kholinar

Banned
Everyone should have known that though. Even in the deep dive video, there are several sections where they were editing the scene in real time. But I guess most people somehow thought it was a ps5 devkit. I didn't know ps5 devkits ran Microsoft windows 😂😆. At least this will shut up all of the "BuT tHe PoWeRfUl SsD!"
It's not the same demo as the PS5 one from last year, though. There still isn't solid evidence that any consumer PC right now can run the exact same demo.

skit_data

what did they say/announce/make available?
I missed parts of it but i think the main things were that
-Quixel megascans library integrated
-Very impressive ”on the fly”-animation techniques
-Early access edition available now, with the project demonstrated included for everyone to check out and play around with

I’m not a game designer so i probably missed a lot of things that are even more impressive to those using it as a creation tool

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Them next gen decompression hardware is going to be put to good use decompressing all these high quality assets. Epic bought RAD Games Tools for this reason. SSDs are the biggest leap this generation in my opinion.
RANpBh4.jpg

Last edited:

elliot5

"Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

oofadoofa. I guess the PC engine build is compensating for I/O streaming stuff with extra RAM. I can't even run this because I have 16 GB system RAM lmao

Last edited:

reksveks

You can't unless you are a MS of Sony company. All we can do now is mess around with it on PC.
I was going to suggest it purely as a 'bad' proxy but it would be interesting to see if there was bottlenecks maybe i would be missing a part of the picture though.

reksveks

"Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance."

oofadoofa. I guess the PC engine build is compensating for I/O streaming stuff with extra RAM. I can't even run this because I have 16 GB system RAM lmao
lol, i fortunately do have 64 gb of ram for no reason apart from this.

It's not the same demo as the PS5 one from last year, though. There still isn't solid evidence that any consumer PC right now can run the exact same demo.
What makes you think it couldn't run that demo, or even with better performance? The demo was created on PC, and they would have to build and test it extensively.

What do you think they are doing, cooking it on PC, and exporting it to ps5 each time they make a change, just to test the changes? How can a more performant hardware create something that it cannot run itself? Do you see where I'm getting at??

i Need the source of that info!!! fast!

GreyHand23

It is the same assets. They all look the same. I hope people don't start downplaying this demo today because the words "PS5" wasn't said in the demo.

The system requirements alone prove that for the majority of consumers, the UE5 demo wouldn't have been possible to run with the same performance and certainly not at the time the demo was released last year. Obviously that will increasingly change as PC hardware continues to advance and PS5 and XSX stay static.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

Yup, consoles are smartly designed for that. Though this is more of a stress test. I don't see a developer ever releasing a game that requires 12cores and 64GB of RAM. Lol

VFXVeteran

Banned

I said this from Day 1. But yet again, no one believed me because they wanted to feel good about their platform of choice.

PCMasterRace Clowns over the moon that their $2500+ systems are equivalent to consoles LOL

Like holy shit, next gen consoles are equivalent to a RTX 2080 + 64 Gigs of RAM + 12cores according to Epic optimization results. Crazy.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
What makes you think it couldn't run that demo, or even with better performance? The demo was created on PC, and they would have to build and test it extensively.

What do you think they are doing, cooking it on PC, and exporting it to ps5 each time they make a change, just to test the changes? How can a more performant hardware create something that it cannot run itself? Do you see where I'm getting at??
Epic literally stated that the UE5's I/O subsystems were rewritten with the PS5 in mind because of the insane data streaming capabilities it provides. Current PCs don't even have half of the real-world performance of the PS5's SSD, discounting DirectStorage + RTX I/O since they haven't come out yet. PCs can run UE5, yes, because the engine is stated to scale down to even mobile phones, but there is 0 evidence that PC can replicate the asset streaming of the first demo.

Here's what Sweeney had to say:
“[The PS5] puts a vast amount of flash memory very, very close to the processor,” says Sweeney. “So much that it really fundamentally changes the trade-offs that games can make and stream in. And that’s absolutely critical to this kind of demo,”
“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”
I know you cream your pants at the slightest affirmation of PC's superiority over consoles, but there's little need for downplay, man.

MastaKiiLA

Cool. Nice to see them add new scenes to the original demo, while explaining some of the new developer workflow. I don't give much of a shit about the design aspects, so just fast-forwarded to the demo clips. Looks dope. Wish they would make a game with these assets, but when I saw her destroy the giant, I realized that it would be a boring game. I was imagining a souls or SOTC style game before that.

GreyHand23

I said this from Day 1. But yet again, no one believed me because they wanted to feel good about their platform of choice.

If the amount of ram required is so high that most PC users are outside of the system requirements, PC is in fact the limiting factor now because devs aren't dumb enough to set the requirements so high if it cuts their user base drastically. They'll lower the requirements unfortunately.

Great Hair

Banned
Not impressed one bit. The PS5 demo was substantially better. This one was static, no motion at all. Can we have "volumetric dust" already or what? What´s up with that bitmap?dust ..
No Way Reaction GIF by Busythings

5mmCkMN.png
qiQBorq.png

"dust effects with delay", it looks weird.

PS5 DEMO UE5 2020
- larger in scope
- more assets & effects on screen
- fast load-in of assets
- bad water ripple effects

UE5 DEMO 2021
- much smaller in scope, just a plain area
- barely anything to load, but terrain data and a giant
- static, no motion at all unlike last year´s demo
- better textures ?
- ugly skybox and strange dust-effects (giant getting up)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If the amount of ram required is so high that most PC users are outside of the system requirements, PC is in fact the limiting factor now because devs aren't dumb enough to set the requirements so high if it cuts their user base drastically. They'll lower the requirements unfortunately.
No they wont. Devs have never been limited by PC users. No one gives a shit about what laptops or last gen cards gamers are running. They are expected to upgrade. Minimum requirements always go up during a generation let alone at the start of a new one.

I had a GTX570 that was supposed to be on par with the PS4 GPU and yet it was discarded the moment next gen only games started coming out with higher VRAM requirements. The 570 with its paltry 1.3 GB of VRAM was defaulted to low settings in Advanced Warfare and it literally looked pixelated. I had never seen anything like it until I saw the xbox one version of cyberpunk.

Holy crap at 64GBs of ram. I knew you would need more ram to compensate.for the I/O difference but I wasn't expecting it to be so much.

Nice to see UE5 on XSX and PS5 though. Both are going to run UE5 pretty well.

vpance

RIP Unity?

As I suspected, PC will handle the SSD and I/O problem by chucking RAM at it. I guess eventually DirectStorage will offload some of that CPU usage to GPU.

Last edited:
yxeah like with 64GB of main system ram - how you would come to the conclusion that PS5s way of doing it with a few small custom chips is actually inferior is beyound me...

If anything that shows how far ahead PS5s I/O system actually is.

We have now a first Ballpark number to what PS5s I/O Capabilitys actually compare - to 64GB of Ram..
And now it is free to download for basicly everyone.
This demo will show ,teach and aducate People about PS5s I/O Throughput more then everything else so far! So many so called Gaming PCs will grind to a halt with this Demo...

You thought in your tiny little World that this proves you - but it actually does the opposite..

Last edited:
PCMasterRace Clowns over the moon that their $2500+ systems are equivalent to consoles LOL

Like holy shit, next gen consoles are equivalent to a RTX 2080 + 64 Gigs of RAM + 12cores according to Epic optimization results. Crazy.
Epic literally stated that the UE5's I/O subsystems were rewritten with the PS5 in mind because of the insane data streaming capabilities it provides. Current PCs don't even have half of the real-world performance of the PS5's SSD, discounting DirectStorage + RTX I/O since they haven't come out yet. PCs can run UE5, yes, because the engine is stated to scale down to even mobile phones, but there is 0 evidence that PC can replicate the asset streaming of the first demo.

Here's what Sweeney had to say:

I know you cream your pants at the slightest affirmation of PC's superiority over consoles, but there's little need for downplay, man.
If anyone is downplaying anything here, it's y'all two. I've never downplayed the ps5 here. So wtf are y'all even talking about?! 😂

I don't recall the video ever saying anything about needing a super fast SSD to run the demo, there was no mention about it as matter a fact. Which debunks everything you guys have mentioned.

But maybe they did render everything on the SSD today 🤡

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think the amount of RAM required is to run UE5 editor mode. And I can guarantee you that several developers will not be able to implement SSD->VRAM streaming during this entire generation. Epic is at the front of the line with technology where most other studios are further down. This won't be mainstream until next-next-gen.

PC won't be a limiting factor when they develop on the PC in the first place. I've always said the SSD->VRAM was a virtual slow RAM process. Brute forcing it is feasible for PC. And PC will be able to render at a higher fidelity and higher FPS.

GreyHand23

No they wont. Devs have never been limited by PC users. No one gives a shit about what laptops or last gen cards gamers are running. They are expected to upgrade. Minimum requirements always go up during a generation let alone at the start of a new one.

I had a GTX570 that was supposed to be on par with the PS4 GPU and yet it was discarded the moment next gen only games started coming out with higher VRAM requirements. The 570 with its paltry 1.3 GB of VRAM was defaulted to low settings in Advanced Warfare and it literally looked pixelated. I had never seen anything like it until I saw the xbox one version of cyberpunk.

Requiring a new video card is much different than shooting for 64 gigs of ram. Many people don't even have a setup where they could upgrade to that. Of course minimum requirements will go up, I'm just questioning by how much considering the limitations here.

Top Bottom