• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Immortals of Aveum PS5/Xbox Series X/S: Unreal Engine 5 is Pushed Hard - And Image Quality Suffers

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If anything it doesn't sound like its linear to me. At least that's what I understand from the dev.
Hopefully they share more info. It's great having...some...information on it. Hopefully they can patch both versions.

Sounds like xbox is a pain to manage thanks to split memory (gg ms) but has some advantages in performance at slightly lower settings. Ps5 can be coded more to the metal so ita faster there.

Hopefully they share more info. It's great having...some...information on it. Hopefully they can patch both versions.

Sounds like xbox is a pain to manage thanks to split memory (gg ms) but has some advantages in performance at slightly lower settings. Ps5 can be coded more to the metal so ita faster there.

I would just go with what the devs are saying. They would know better than anyone else.

Lysandros

I don't get how the performance gap is that large if the ps5 is "better" not really understanding what the dev is saying on reddit.
Same fps as before with the ps5? Becuase it's not the same fps as the xbox.

I get it, so xbox is lower settings but running 10fps faster?
It is running "5-10 FPS faster" in stress points according to Tom's (the eagle eyed who managed to miss the obvious IQ difference) analysis. This isn't a constant advantage, XSX isn't obviously 10 FPS ahead of PS5 in average while running in lower fidelity.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

What are the lower settings? There is missing lights in one scene on PS5.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I agree that not everything was turned down but it seems like some things are a bit lower based on what the devs said. I mean its the devs saying it not Digital Foundry so they know what they did with the game.
That's concording with what a lot of us noticed, weird that DF missed it, who made the analysis this time?

Lysandros

It's a shame. Has there been a reason why they've stopped doing new games?
I really wouldn't know. Maybe he is just underwhelmed by the number of his subscribers which seem to be stuck at a very modest figure. Or he only tests particulars games which he owns. Just guesses. By the way, subscribe to his channel people, his meticulous work earns our support.

Darsxx82

They set graphics a bit higher in ps5 and got about the same fps
up to 10 fps less than XSX when the framerate drops to 40 (or even high 30) frequently..... This decision is in no way understandable if it entails loss of performance.

It is also not understandable when he insinuate that the IQ gap between XSX vs PS5 will, surelly, be remedied with future patches..... Are he insinuating a lack of optimization time in XSX? If a better IQ Is a an performace costo, XSX running 5-10fps better than PS5 it's clear it has room for improvement...

It is running "5-10 FPS faster" in stress points according to Tom's (the eagle eyed who managed to miss the obvious IQ difference) analysis. This isn't a constant advantage, XSX isn't obviously 10 FPS ahead of PS5 in average while running in lower fidelity.
Because in moments of stress it is when both versions drop below 60 fps and the real difference in framerate can be shown. And in those moments, the most important in the game, that difference in favor of XSX is constant And no, it's not Tom's appreciation here, it's frame counter data which actually matches other framerate analyzes on youtube. In the moments in which both hold 60fps, areas of less stress, logically you will not be able to visualize the gap in framerate.

Mr.Phoenix

Its definitely weird because DF was told by developers that PS5 only has 12.5 GB of vram compared to the 13.5 GB for Xbox.
DF?
It is getting obvious now UE5 is clearly not optimized. It is struggling on consoles and even on high end PC.
Been saying this long before this game showed up.
Same fps as before with the ps5? Becuase it's not the same fps as the xbox.

I get it, so xbox is lower settings but running 10fps faster?
More like, Xbox can run as much as 10fps faster (sometimes)because it's tuned to an overall lower profile. Sounds like what you said... but it's different. And I won't take the word of some guy who seemed to have completely missed that the PS5 version looked clearly better.

He had ONE job.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This dev has confirmed lower settings for xbox though

What a weird situation this has turned out.

Based on the DF comparison, the only place where PS5 has higher fidelity visuals is the real-time main menu backdrop, and that is also the place where the performance delta between the two is 10 or more FPS.

In the general run, both are counted at the same resolution without a difference in effects, just IQ based on post-process, and Xbox always tends to be faster in performance.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Based on the DF comparison, the only place where PS5 has higher fidelity visuals is the real-time main menu backdrop, and that is also the place where the performance delta between the two is 10 or more FPS.

In the general run, both are counted at the same resolution without a difference in effects, just IQ based on post-process, and Xbox always tends to be faster in performance.
You mean the same DF that failed to notice a clearly visible IQ difference at first then had to add a paragraph correcting themselves,.You want to believe that what they added was a thorough recomparison or do you want to believe to dev that has actually confirmed it.
Maybe the dev knows better than DF and maybe I am not believing DF over the dev because of personal bias but mostly because he is a dev of said game.
Try to avoid low bait console warring post next.

adamsapple

Bruh, relax and don't get so combative over little things lol.

We're in the DF topic about the game, that's what will be referred obviously. Even in their addendum about the IQ, they did not notice or mention any other fidelity difference between the two other than the title menu.

The developer also says "that is most of the performance delta", we've seen from both the DF and Open Surprise videos that there is a notable performance difference between the two in favor of the Xbox consoles when the engine is stressed. So it sounds like he's just purely talking about the IQ difference here and doesn't even mention the performance difference.

Meanwhile the other developer who interviewed with DF said the async and direct storage in combination gave a "wonderful speed boost".

Last edited:
The game will run better on both systems once they deploy patches but as of now we've learned PS5 had more usable ram and better asynchronous compute on the gpu so this why it looks better and not a sharpening tool but better quality textures. I pointed out "grass gate" at the 9:55 mark 😉 that showed something was up. The difference in image quality reminded me of shadow of war on Xbox one x with the texture pack vs Ps4 pro without that option because of the lower ram so it looked blurry in comparison

Darsxx82

You mean the same DF that failed to notice a clearly visible IQ difference at first then had to add a paragraph correcting themselves,.You want to believe that what they added was a thorough recomparison or do you want to believe to dev that has actually confirmed it.
Maybe the dev knows better than DF and maybe I am not believing DF over the dev because of personal bias but mostly because he is a dev of said game.

That developer is implying that the framerate is the same between XSX and PS5 when the reality is that it is not. And no, its not DF, those results and a difference of 5-10 fps can be seen in other comparisons.

What remains incomprehensible is that they have decided to use a higher graphical configuration on PS5 if that implies a cost in framerate when said version is the worst in that regard and has situations where it even drops below 40fps.
He adds that it hints that the IQ gap between XSX vs PS5 will surely be resolved in future patches and then it is totally understandable and look has more like a situation of lack of optimization.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Bruh, relax and don't get so combative over little things lol.

We're in the DF topic about the game, that's what will be referred obviously. Even in their addendum about the IQ, they did not notice or mention any other fidelity difference between the two other than the title menu.

The developer also says "that is most of the performance delta", we've seen from both the DF and Open Surprise videos that there is a notable performance difference between the two in favor of the Xbox consoles when the engine is stressed. So it sounds like he's just purely talking about the IQ difference here and doesn't even mention the performance difference.

Meanwhile the other developer who interviewed with DF said the async and direct storage in combination gave a "wonderful speed boost".
Look you might think that you are fooling the world but are all seeing your console war baiting and it is tiring.I understand that you felt offended when the dev mentionned the ps5 advantage that you had to find the tiniest nitpick possible.But DF video update mentions a difference in IQ not just in title menu , somehow you missed it, they argue that it is potentially post processing, a dev that works on the game confirms that is is not just that.So DF says you're wrong a dev says you're wrong, what else do you need to understand that you are wrong ? A written letter by phil Spencer?
So please foir the sake of this forum and for your account to avoid being banned again please avoid low console war bait, just leave lol emojis that's were you shine the most.

And my fucking keyboard is dying on me so I probably missed some ' so here they are, add them wherever you want is my post ''''''''''

adamsapple

That developer is implying that the framerate is the same between XSX and PS5 when the reality is that it is not. And no, its not DF, those results and a difference of 5-10 fps can be seen in other comparisons.

What remains incomprehensible is that they have decided to use a higher graphical configuration on PS5 if that implies a cost in framerate when said version is the worst in that regard and has situations where it even drops below 40fps.
He adds that it hints that the IQ gap between XSX vs PS5 will surely be resolved in future patches and then it is totally understandable and look has more like a situation of lack of optimization.

Yeah, before anyone blows their gasket, no one is calling the dev wrong, obviously they know more about their own game and engine better than anyone.

We're just pointing out some clearly observable differences in both consoles. PS5 has better IQ, despite both of them running the same resolution, meanwhile Xbox has better performance when both are stressed.

Look you might think that you are fooling the world but are all seeing your console war baiting and it is tiring.I understand that you felt offended when the dev mentionned the ps5 advantage that you had to find the tiniest nitpick possible.But DF video update mentions a difference in IQ not just in title menu , somehow you missed it, they argue that it is potentially post processing, a dev that works on the game confirms that is is not just that.So DF says you're wrong a dev says you're wrong,

All of this is quite literally wrong, right down to the part of what I said or missed. I'm talking about better fidelity like the better water effects in the real time menu, not the IQ. In DF's addendum, they mentioned the IQ difference but not any other fidelity difference in effects etc.

The developer also says that's the only performance difference, while we can clearly see the 10~ fps difference in performance.

what else do you need to understand that you are wrong ? A written letter by phil Spencer?

Talk about low bait console war. :rolleyes: Deserves a lol emoji.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah, before anyone blows their gasket, no one is calling the dev wrong, obviously they know more about their own game and engine better than anyone.

We're just pointing out some clearly observable differences in both consoles. PS5 has better IQ, despite both of them running the same resolution, meanwhile Xbox has better performance when both are stressed.

All of this is quite literally wrong, right down to the part of what I said or missed. I'm talking about better fidelity like the better water effects in the real time menu, not the IQ. In DF's addendum, they mentioned the IQ difference but not any other fidelity difference in effects etc.

Talk about low bait console war. :rolleyes:
You sure this had nothing to do with that tag of yours or did you blow your gasket for nothing ?
Because you wanted to talk about a title menu whith better effects on ps5 while contrary to what you said the IQ was still globally better on ps5 ...Hence why you saying it was only on title menu wrong, just like the dev confirmed it.So tell me is it just on the menu or everywhere?
Reducing this to the sylogism of who do you think is lying the dev or DF after the update and the dev?
Because it can't only be on the menu if you read both...

Darsxx82

In the interview with DF they even say that both consoles use the same specs but each one comes to them with its specific characteristics and specificities...

As you say, nobody questions the developer, what they do question are the inconsistencies of their statements regarding the result of the data and decision making.
Starting because there's no point in boosting specs on PS5 if it comes with a cost in framerate that drops to below 40fps.

It doesn't make sense to say that the gap in IQ is due to less ram available in XSX (the information until now was different), less async (when in the DF interview they only applaud the DStorage+Async union).... .and ends by stating that this gap will surely disappear with future patches... That is to say, it is expressing more a situation of lack of optimization than of "weakness" of the hardware.

Mr.Phoenix

nope. you are wrong.

Montauk

Guys, which console is winning at this point in the conversation?

Whose purchase has been fully validated by this news?

I can’t keep up.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Guys, which console is winning at this point in the conversation?

Whose purchase has been fully validated by this news?

I can’t keep up.
As always it is the OUYA that keeps winning.
No other controller can have its batteries swapped thanks to a karate chop.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You sure this had nothing to do with that tag of yours or did you blow your gasket for nothing ?

What ?

Because you wanted to talk about a title menu whith better effects on ps5 while contrary to what you said the IQ was still globally better on ps5 ...Hence why you saying it was only on title menu wrong, just like the dev confirmed it.So tell me is it just on the menu or everywhere?

I don't know if you're deliberately misreading my posts or purposefully being obtuse. Fidelity =/= image quality. I am referring to DF's point of highlighting the better effects on the menu while and not anywhere else, even after they added the points about the better IQ.

PS5 shares all the same settings as Series X. Shadows, textures, world detail, draw distances - you name it, they're broadly identical, though curiously, PS5 has higher settings on its menu screen

Reducing this to the sylogism of who do you think is lying the dev or DF after the update and the dev?
Because it can't only be on the menu if you read both...

Where did anyone say the developer is lying ? stop trying to turn it into a war-bait discussion lol.

In the interview with DF they even say that both consoles use the same specs but each one comes to them with its specific characteristics and specificities...

As you say, nobody questions the developer, what they do question are the inconsistencies of their statements regarding the result of the data and decision making.
Starting because there's no point in boosting specs on PS5 if it comes with a cost in framerate that drops to below 40fps.

It doesn't make sense to say that the gap in IQ is due to less ram available in XSX (the information until now was different), less async (when in the DF interview they only applaud the DStorage+Async union).... .and ends by stating that this gap will surely disappear with future patches... That is to say, it is expressing more a situation of lack of optimization than of "weakness" of the hardware.

On reddit the developer said:

We aren't using the same tunings on the PS5 and Xbox X - despite being close in hardware specs, the PS5 is a little better so we pushed fidelity a little more. That is most of the performance delta

When he says "that is most of the performance delta", it sounds like he is talking about just the visuals, cause the frame rate performance can have a pretty notable delta in stretches where the game is stressed.

j0XuIQO.jpg

6q1X9U9.jpg

VApTxL9.jpg

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What ?

I don't know if you're deliberately misreading my posts or purposefully being obtuse. Fidelity =/= image quality. I am referring to DF's point of highlighting the better effects on the menu while and not anywhere else, even after they added the points about the better IQ.

Where did anyone say the developer is lying ? stop trying to turn it into a war-bait discussion lol.

On reddit the developer said:

When he says "that is most of the performance delta", it sounds like he is talking about just the visuals, cause the frame rate performance can have a pretty notable delta in stretches where the game is stressed.

j0XuIQO.jpg

6q1X9U9.jpg

VApTxL9.jpg
The phil spencer letter was a reference to your tag, a low blow would have been to say that you needed a letter from Aaron Greenberg (or worse Phil Harrison the industry doomer)
For the rest you said the only difference in visuals was title menu and then based your logic on the fact that DF speculate that this is post processing, once again believing the one that haven't been able to notice the difference that have since been confirmed by the dev.
So the menu says higher specs, the dev confirms it, so totally not just on the menu as you mentionned.The thing is what you said regardless of console war (because the points I criticize are not through the prism of console war) are both contradictory, either there is absolutely no difference or there is I think you can agree on that because you were really eager to correct me when I simply linked the dev confirming that the xbox used lowered settings.
So tell me what made you really want that much to defend Xbox there by saying that the difference was only in the menu when it was not and has been proven untrue since ?

onQ123

So seems like UE5's Nanite and Virtual Texturing systems are sensitive to data I/O bandwidth.

Lots of interesting nuggets in this article.

siXuS19.jpg
Welcome to the new world lol https://www.neogaf.com/threads/is-t...come-our-new-gb-s-marketing-overlord.1536150/

urShu4A.png

Lysandros

He talks a little bit more about the PS5 specs here

I always interpreted the PS5 GPU more like a 6600 XT than a 6700 XT.

Thanks, i missed the part about RAM bandwidth and async synergy in the first glance. Very interesting, it seems there are quite a few hardware factors influencing async compute throughput indeed. By the way i truly hope that "despite being close in hardware specs, the PS5 is a little better so we pushed fidelity a little more" part won't cause any trouble for the developer, that was perhaps too plain of a statement.

Thanks, i missed the part about RAM bandwidth and async synergy in the first glance. Very interesting, it seems there are quite a few hardware factors influencing async compute throughput indeed. By the way i truly hope that "despite being close in hardware specs, the PS5 is a little better so we pushed fidelity a little more" part won't cause any trouble for the developer, that was perhaps too plain of a statement.
I think he was referring to the advantage in async compute but i can see where some might take the statement out of context.

adamsapple

The phil spencer letter was a reference to your tag, a low blow would have been to say that you needed a letter from Aaron Greenberg (or worse Phil Harrison the industry doomer)

Riveting stuff.

For the rest you said the only difference in visuals was title menu and then based your logic on the fact that DF speculate that this is post processing, once again believing the one that haven't been able to notice the difference that have since been confirmed by the dev.

Why do you keep misinterpreting this part ? Read my last couple of posts, besides the IQ difference, the only place where there was a visual fidelity difference between the two is the main menu. In the other areas of the videos and comparison galleries, the fidelity looks the same, while PS5 has a sharper IQ.

Fidelity = / = IQ. I think I'm saying this for the third time here.

So the menu says higher specs, the dev confirms it, so totally not just on the menu as you mentionned.The thing is what you said regardless of console war (because the points I criticize are not through the prism of console war) are both contradictory, either there is absolutely no difference or there is I think you can agree on that because you were really eager to correct me when I simply linked the dev confirming that the xbox used lowered settings.

But which settings are lower and are they universal ? We don't know. I would love to read a bit more detailed follow up from the dev exactly what he's talking about, cause his current comment doesn't tell us any specifics.

The video and pictures in the DF stuff shows the difference in fidelity in the menu but the rest of the in-game stuff looks exactly the same other than the IQ difference.

So tell me what made you really want that much to defend Xbox there by saying that the difference was only in the menu when it was not and has been proven untrue since ?

I think you take this console comparison stuff too seriously.

Last edited:

onQ123

What about specific resolution targets on consoles - is it FSR 2 on ultra performance targeting 4K, or is it a higher setting?

Mark Maratea
: On consoles only, it does an adaptive upscale - so we look at what you connected from a monitor/TV standpoint... and there's a slot in the logic that says if a PS5 Pro comes out, it'll actually upscale to different quality levels - it'll be FSR 2 quality rather than standard FSR 2 performance.

Welp there it is a soft admission from a dev
That man just told that he has been working on the PS5 Pro lol

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Riveting stuff. 1

Why do you keep misinterpreting this part ? Read my last couple of posts, besides the IQ difference, the only place where there was a visual fidelity difference between the two is the main menu. In the other areas of the videos and comparison galleries, the fidelity looks the same, while PS5 has a sharper IQ.

Fidelity = / = IQ. I think I'm saying this for the third time here.2

But which settings are lower and are they universal ? We don't know. I would love to read a bit more detailed follow up from the dev exactly what he's talking about, cause his current comment doesn't tell us any specifics.3

The video and pictures in the DF stuff shows the difference in fidelity in the menu but the rest of the in-game stuff looks exactly the same other than the IQ difference.4.

I think you take this console comparison stuff too seriously.5
1. You mistakenly cry about it being console warring then don't care about the explaination of why you misunderstood, keep like that it explain so much of your posting.

2Yeah and you used both right from your first post to me so keep explaining that to yourself you might even finaly aknowledge that you were wrong.

3 I don't know, ask the dev if you want more specific explaination ...Even though you were quick to dismiss them but enough goalpost moving from you

4So now it is IQ and not visuals too ?because you used both and the dev confirmed that they weren't tuned the same so it is probably not just post precessing.

5I think that you wanted to do a quick gotcha but got it terribly wrong and outdated
Listen I''ll just stop arguing with you because I honestly do not care anymore about what you will answer you will move the goalpost to was was changed and is it along all the game and other shit like that.The thing is the ps5 fidelity visuals (as you put it) are a bit higher on ps5.You got the explaination as to why by the dev and an update from DF what else do you want to argue, you know sometimes it is way easier to say you know what I was wrong and end it.Because honestly that talked and your lame excuses weren't worth the half pages it took, and so weren't my posts either, I was simply exchanging with Lysandros Lysandros and DenchDeckard DenchDeckard about wanting a VG tech fps chart.
But somehow you felt forced to intervene and tell me what for ?What did you bring other than your rebutal and semantic nitpicking?Your source is outdated and speculating at best and a dev has confirmed different settings.Go ask him if you want more do you honestly think I can bring anymore information to this subject ? I can't even make you understand that when you use visuals and fidelity iit seems to me that you are talking about visuals and fidelity.
On that it's almost 3 AM for me goodnight to you and to all the forum.
Happy Jim Carrey GIF by MolaTV

(I know some of you have this sentence engraved in your brain, no need for subtitles)

adamsapple

Possibly. But since the tone here is quite generalistic, i personaly could not blame them. Besides, a system being a "little better" in the context of a particular engine/game shouldn't cause a stir to begin with.

Probably the mot sensible post on this page.

Don't want my quote chain to drag the page long so I'll put them under a quote tag. Dropping it from this post onward A azertydu91 no hard feeling, I don't usually do long quote trails like this.

1. You mistakenly cry about it being console warring then don't care about the explaination of why you misunderstood, keep like that it explain so much of your posting.

Since you refer "from your first post" later, go re-read our quote chain and look up who brought the console war aspect into it, hint: it wasn't me.

2Yeah and you used both right from your first post to me so keep explaining that to yourself you might even finaly aknowledge that you were wrong.

This is my first reply to you, it is unedited so you don't have the excuse of saying that I went back and edited it after the fact:

Based on the DF comparison, the only place where PS5 has higher fidelity visuals is the real-time main menu backdrop,

Read what I am talking about there and what I have talked about since.

3 I don't know, ask the dev if you want more specific explaination ...Even though you were quick to dismiss them but enough goalpost moving from you

Just made up stuff in the second half of this line.

4So now it is IQ and not visuals too ?because you used both and the dev confirmed that they weren't tuned the same so it is probably not just post precessing.

I don't know if you're posting this via mobile, but there is a lot of misreading of what I'm writing going on, on your behalf.

5I think that you wanted to do a quick gotcha but got it terribly wrong and outdated
Listen I''ll just stop arguing with you because I honestly do not care anymore about what you will answer you will move the goalpost to was was changed and is it along all the game and other shit like that.The thing is the ps5 fidelity visuals (as you put it) are a bit higher on ps5.You got the explaination as to why by the dev and an update from DF what else do you want to argue, you know sometimes it is way easier to say you know what I was wrong and end it.Because honestly that talked and your lame excuses weren't worth the half pages it took, and so weren't my posts either, I was simply exchanging with Lysandros Lysandros and DenchDeckard DenchDeckard about wanting a VG tech fps chart.
But somehow you felt forced to intervene and tell me what for ?What did you bring other than your rebutal and semantic nitpicking?Your source is outdated and speculating at best and a dev has confirmed different settings.Go ask him if you want more do you honestly think I can bring anymore information to this subject ? I can't even make you understand that when you use visuals and fidelity iit seems to me that you are talking about visuals and fidelity.
On that it's almost 3 AM for me goodnight to you and to all the forum.

Good night, you shouldn't be up at 3AM in the first place. Anyway, I hope when you read the conversation again you know what I'm specifically talking about. But just to make it clear when you read this tomorrow

1/ No one called the dev a liar - 2/ All points being made are via observable content in DF's coverage, whether pictures, video or their FPS graph. - 3/ Visual fidelity and image quality are not the same thing.

'night dude.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guy is still commenting. MS Ninjas havent gotten to him yet.

Both the S and the X had higher than expected baseline OS memory usage meaning that the game had less memory to use for things. Because of nanite, the available of free pool memory is something we are very sensitive to.

The X and PS5 settings are close but there are some differences. I can pull the INIs and get into it if you really want to know the delta. But that is only the current delta - we are continuing to work on tuning the game - including the consoles. As well as pulling in engine optimizations and getting FSR3.

Hes willing to post the exact settings the ps5 and xsx are using. He's either brave or suicidal. lol

Top Bottom