• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum | Review Thread

Game Information

Game Title: Immortals of Aveum

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 22, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 22, 2023)
  • PC (Aug 22, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Ascendant Studios

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 74 average - 59% recommended
Metacritic - 70 based on 43 Critic Reviews

Critic Reviews

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale
"Some fun here and there, runs better than I expected and that smoothness helps it, but the game just isn't that enjoyable as you continue to play. It just sort of falls apart until its so rote that it feels more mechanical than many others"

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 78 / 100
Ascendant Studios made a good first try with this game, which if you manage to dominate in combat can be entertaining for the user, especially with the amount of magic available. Of course, I would not recommend it to everyone, since some technical and repetition aspects may not be completely pleasing, especially those who do not have patience.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 9 / 10
Immortals of Aveum is a must-play title for all fans of FPS and story-driven content but may isolate those unfamiliar with the genre.

COGconnected - James Paley - 85 / 100
I had a ton of fun with Immortals. The combat is snappy, explosive, and smooth. Everything looks amazing, just a colossal colorful assault on the senses at every turn. The puzzles are a pleasant distraction. The writing has its ups and downs, to be sure, but the story itself is a proper ride. I truly can’t get enough of the word Everwar. I could have used a bit less quipping in the dialogue, however. While the combat occasionally got frustrating, it’s nothing a little practice (and difficulty adjustment) can’t fix. Traversal is a good time, even if the dodge cooldown feels excessive. If your first-person shooters have felt too serious lately, take heart! Immortals of Aveum is a magic-soaked, colorful romp that grips hard and doesn’t let go.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 8.5 / 10
Immortals of Aveum boldly attempts to deliver an epic cinematic experience about a war involving magic, and it succeeds in its ambition. Fast-paced combat that places the game firmly in the shooter genre combine with satisfying platforming and puzzle-solving to make for an adventure that stays focused on its linear story while offering extra secrets for those who want to explore beyond its core narrative. There's some repetition here and there that can be frustrating, but when you're blasting colourful magic spells across battlefields of enemies like a violent fireworks display, it's hard not to be impressed. Visually stunning with an excellently committed cast, Immortals of Aveum is a satisfying adventure and an impressive debut from a studio clearly not afraid to defy expectations.

Dexerto - Brad Norton - 4 / 5
For a first outing, Ascendant Studios has hit a home run. The team has established an incredible foundation for a universe we only hope we can continue exploring for years to come.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3.5 / 5
I went into Immortals of Aveum expecting a linear experience akin to Call of Duty but found a game with unexpectedly vast levels, a world rich with intriguing lore, and vibrant combat that kept me on my toes. It’s a solid choice for those looking for an inventive shooter that stands out from the crowd in that genre, although boring puzzles and cloying dialogue drain some magic out of the experience.

Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - 2 / 5
Mixing repetitive, imprecise combat with annoying characters and a landslide of nonsensical, proper noun-stuffed lore, Immortals of Aveum is almost so bad it's good. If only.

Eurogamer.pt - Adolfo Soares - Portuguese - 3 / 5
Immortals of Aveum is a conjunction of excellent ideas, from its narrative with hints of humor, which amuses and moves in the final stretch, through a gameplay with good mechanics and a huge abundance of playable options. A bit slow in developments in the initial phase, but that accelerates to a positivity of final events that captivated me. Were it not for this final acceleration in which it highlights what is good here, we would be facing a work with only a few good ideas. It was about 16 hours of gameplay, including explorations beyond the main narrative. Perhaps a sequel can finally tap into its full potential.

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 4 / 5
Immortals of Aveum, in many ways, is a game about ambition. From its development as a new IP during the pandemic, to the overarching goals of the heroes and villains respectively. In its ambition, it has created a first-person magical shooter that looks and feels like everything it set out to achieve in forging its own identity.

However, in its attempt to create a bold new world, it also sometimes falters under the weight of that same ambition. This results in some convoluted concepts that don’t quite hit all the right notes and narrative pacing that tries to cram in too much all at once.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8 / 10
Delivering something different and unique in a genre clogged with games set in real-world wars and battles, or at least meant to emulate them, is a commendable effort and pays off here for Ascendant. Immortals of Aveum is a great first outing, mixing the fantasy genre’s vibes, storytelling, and world exploration with the gunplay of a modern shooter. Its magic action almost always feels great, except when the game’s performance turns a fun explosion of magic and colors into a muddy mess. The story, which took me 16 hours to get through, is predictable but competent enough to get Jak to the next set piece, and there’s plenty left to explore and accomplish after rolling credits that I’m excited to check out. Ascendant made a good call emphasizing exploration and combative puzzle-solving just as much as its first-person action, and Immortals of Aveum is proof this genre still has a lot of room to grow outside of the usual, expected releases.

GamePro - Annika Bavendiek - German - 80 / 100
Immortals of Aveum brings a breath of fresh air to the FPS genre with its peculiarities. Just right for fun solo action in between.

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 5 / 10
The first-person shooter action of Immortals of Aveum suffers from a difficult-to-navigate control scheme and lackluster story.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 6 / 10
Immortals of Aveum, by virtue of its story, has obvious appeal. It's the game of a lifetime for a developer who knows what he's talking about, the raison d'être of a brand new studio, an independent AAA that isn't really one... For the gamer, it's a very edgy FPS that's off the beaten track while still offering a familiar feel. Ascend Studio's title makes for a great time if you put aside its obvious technical problems, which unfortunately do it a bit of a disservice. But the fact remains that Immortals of Aveum has a lot going for it. There's a rich universe to discover, a whole world to explore, and some nerve-wracking if slightly chaotic combat... It's a shame that the technical side isn't always up to scratch on the PS5, because this would be a more than solid magical FPS, but as it stands it's sorely lacking in polish. But that doesn't mean it's a failure, just a date that could have gone a little better, but that we enjoyed nonetheless.

Gameffine - Uphar Dutta - 80 / 100
Immortals of Aveum is a work of art and truly reflects the ideas and love the game has been made with. The FPS magical shooter may have a worrying start, but that quickly turns into excitement, followed by a crucial turn of events, keeping you hooked. The combat and enemy variety grows as your progress, controlling the flow of combat enjoyable throughout. Topped with excellent voiceovers from talented artists and a brilliant hip-hop-styled ambience, Immortals of Aveum was a big box of surprises for us.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5
What you want out of a blockbuster is a chance to go with the flow, let yourself get pushed to the edge of your seat for a few hours, and walk out with your blood pressure up a notch and a smile on your face. Immortals of Aveum does all that very well.

GamesRadar+ - Rick Lane - 3 / 5
Immortals of Aveum puts a fun twist on FPS conventions, and delivers upon its promise of colorful, exciting magical combat. But the story and worldbuilding are undermined by a cringeworthy script, and the half-baked loot system and metroidvania elements betray a lack of confidence in the central premise.

IGN - Luke Reilly - 8 / 10
Immortals of Aveum is an impressively confident first-person shooter with a hearty solo campaign and fast-paced, spellcasting combat that’s spectacular to watch.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 8 / 10
In some ways, Immortals of Aveum can be seen as a wasted opportunity to give shooter fans a memorable experience with an outstanding graphics. Instead, Ascendant Studios' debut game turned out to be just a good first-person shooter that entertains without being boring, thanks to a surprising RPG component and gameplay that excellently does its job of entertaining players. In addition to a decent story and a not particularly long campaign, Immortals of Aveum also has to contend with a less-than-stable frame-rate and other flaws that do not allow it to be one of the best shooters of the last years.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 8 / 10
Immortals of Aveum borrows a lot from other genres and brings us a frenetic first-person experience full of explosions, lights and color. It spices it all up with a surprisingly complex story for its genre and an exhilarating difficulty that invites you to continuously vary your combat style.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 80 / 100
Immortals of Aveum gets it right by bringing a new experience to the genre of first-person shooters. It has a fast combat, is full of good ideas and options. If your intention is to take control and destroy your enemies with powerful spells, I would say that Immortals of Aveum can guarantee good times.

Polygon - Ian Walker - Unscored
Immortals of Aveum should be applauded for trying something unique and exciting. It’s not every day that a studio attempts to aesthetically reinvent the first-person shooter genre with its debut game, and it’s clear the folks at Ascendant Studios tried their damndest to make the “Call of Duty but with magic” concept work. But for all its overwhelming visual splendor and adherence to modern conventions like skill trees and stat-boosting equipment, Immortals of Aveum is just as soulless as the military shooters from which it takes inspiration. It’s a paint-by-numbers buffet of contemporary tropes, and even when regarded against the full scope of creative and moral bankruptcy in the AAA space, it somehow still manages to fade into the scenery.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 6 / 10
Immortals of Aveum presents us with an interesting new fantasy universe in which magic replaces bullets, but in practice it doesn't quite hit the mark. Despite solid fundamental action, combat can quickly become difficult to read, devolving into a dizzying swirl of colourful effects. Solid presentation and performance lead to some visually arresting scenes, even if the story isn't particularly memorable. It's a good first effort from Ascendant Studios, and the potential is absolutely there, but there's a feeling that the team bit off a little more than it could chew.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored
Immortals Of Aveum lacks focus, and the magical shooting is more chaotic and less punchy than I'd like, but it hits fun often enough for me to respect the big fantasy swings it takes.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 3 / 5
If you buy Immortals of Aveum, know that there is a good time here waiting for you. However, I deem it likely that it'll be on sale rather soon. If you're starving for some magic in your FPS pick it up, but even with some mystical flair and an admirable attempt at bringing mystic arts to a very gun-heavy genre, Immortals of Aveum ultimately fails to reach the heights of your Bulletstorms or Wolfenstiens.

XboxEra - Aarsal Masoodi - 8.8 / 10
Immortals of Aveum is a fantastic game that I’d recommend to just about anyone, especially those hungry for a different take on some familiar formulas.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's at a 62% user score on Steam. But there are very few user reviews, as there is almost no one playing it.
Maybe it will improve during the weekend.

d422CnU.png

I'll probably try this at some point but sandwiching it right between two of the biggest games of the year is certainly a bold choice.

Also the actual GOTY released today in Wrestlequest (not really but I'll play that before I play this).

Zuzu

This might be a decent game to pick up at a strong discount, several months from now, after several patches.

I agree. It looks like a fun game but not for the price which starts at $109.95 in Australia. I'll wait until it's around $30 or less.

Last edited:
At 13:50 in Skill's Up video he said this:

"Yes, you can hit the promised 1080p 60 on those minimum specs, but it's basically a lie, and my strong advice to you is that if you are at or anywhere near those minimum specs do not play this game on PC, get it on console if you can."
"It does work well on high-end machines, it runs like dogshit on low end machines."

Last edited:
He also said it seems to run at a mostly stable 60fps on PS5 from what he could tell.
Indeed. I'm paraphrasing here but this is what Skill Up had to say about the PS5 perf:

"I had a chance to test this on a PS5, and I was extremely impressing at how well it ran there. The game promises "4k 60fps" supported by AMD FSR2, but from what I saw that framerate generally held, except for the odd drop here and there.
I did notice FSR2 kicking in pretty hard at times, resulting in degrading of the imagine; it's minor especially given how fast all of this moves, but it's definitely a thing you'll catch from time to time."

Zheph

This weekend I expect a lot of people to jump on AC6 instead of this tho

Some reviews are so positive tho I expect this to be higher quality than Atlas Fallen

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

I am sorry but anyone who watched this and was excited about this was in for disappointment.

"during a time of intense trauma, he summons the powers to control magic, becomes part of the "immortals" which is like an elite navy seals unit, they are in the middle of an "ever war" fighting for the control of magic.

Some of the worst writing I have ever heard

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Salz01

The game looks so mid. I personally don’t even think the tech looks that great. At least the art isn’t standing out. I hope there are better UE5 games coming out soon.

Ywap

I´ve been playing for a while now and i think mid vibes are true. Much of my dissapointment comes from the use of the worst engine out there. Lot´s of texture and vegetation pop-ins and horrible performance compared how it looks.

Impressions so far: 5/10

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I´ve been playing for a while now and i think mid vibes are true. Much of my dissapointment comes from the use of the worst engine out there. Lot´s of texture and vegetation pop-ins and horrible performance compared how it looks.

Isn't it UE5?

Zheph

What platform you on? Apparently it's not great on PC

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think this game has the best facial modeling/animation I've ever seen. Every other game where people call those elements "great" look WAY too uncanny valley to me, the worst offender are PS Horizon games, I just can't.

This game facial work is even at the level of Capcom games to me, but with absurdly detailed models.

Gonna check it later, they said they'd be bringing optimization updates later and this game definitely needs them on PC.

Fbh

Looks like it might be a decent pickup when it's $20 or hits Ps+, whatever happens first.
From the reviews it seems like it's pretty fun but doesn't stand out in any way.

Not like number scores mean anything, but this has a higher meta than Forspoken

And I thought Forspoken was fuckin great rofif rofif

So this is cant possibly be that bad.

Love me some mid shit.

They are both centered around magic and full of cringy Marvel writing. We need a crossover sequel!!!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Looks like it might be a decent pickup when it's $20 or hits Ps+, whatever happens first.
From the reviews it seems like it's pretty fun but doesn't stand out in any way.

They are both centered around magic and full of cringy Marvel writing. We need a crossover sequel!!!!
"Hey, Marvel! That's what young and nice people like these days, isn't it? Yeah, yeah, you know that part in that movie where they were supposed to kill each other and made this random phrase/joke about that funny thing? Oh yeah, that was cool, that's what millenials and gen-z people want, cool and shit, you know, yeah yeah."

No, srsly, I'm on the "seems fun and will play it eventually" boat, but character design and general art direction look like they took a shitton of Marvel movies screenshots, passed them through an AI program and asked it to analyze morphological elements and synthesise the results in a single paragraph per element, then passed it to art director and him/her "look, this is what young and nice people want, yeah yeah, you know, cool shit and funny things, yeah!"

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It has magic in it....with shield thingies and acid blob things and what looks like a version of D&D's Arcane Tether.

8/10 (without even playing it....YET!!!)

Macaron

Banned

I am sorry but anyone who watched this and was excited about this was in for disappointment.

"during a time of intense trauma, he summons the powers to control magic, becomes part of the "immortals" which is like an elite navy seals unit, they are in the middle of an "ever war" fighting for the control of magic.

Some of the worst writing I have ever heard

Cracking Up Lol GIF

So youre shitting on a game you haven't played, based off a 2 min youtube promo clip.......

Crazy i'd get a moderator warning for insulting someone like this.

Macaron

Banned
Who did I insult? The game developers and writers? I’m only joking, relax. People shit on games I like all the time on here and I laugh 😂
No. You don't understand. I would get the moderator warning, for insulting someone like you, who takes time out of their day to shit on a game they haven't played based off a 2 min youtube promotional clip.

Do those people shitting on games you like, you know, maybe have played them? Idk man I don't need a moderator warning, so i'll try to word it nice and leave it at youre a very very very weird person for trying to shit on a game you haven't played.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No. You don't understand. I would get the moderator warning, for insulting someone like you, who takes time out of their day to shit on a game they haven't played based off a 2 min youtube promotional clip.

Do those people shitting on games you like, you know, maybe have played them? Idk man I don't need a moderator warning, so i'll try to word it nice and leave it at youre a very very very weird person for trying to shit on a game you haven't played.
No harm meant. Apologies if I have insulted you.

So it seems that the image quality is very soft on all consoles, and especially so on Series S.

Video is with timestamp

Game looks fun though, and I'll definitely pick it up on sale.

Last edited:

Ywap

What platform you on? Apparently it's not great on PC

I´m on PC. Midrange stuff, 12700k, 3080 10gb and 32 ram but very low settings.

This is a shot with maxed out settings and DLSS Quality:

iYUrDyt.jpg

Not exactly a looker imo....

Last edited:
Watched a few videos and it does look kinda fun but looks crazy low resolution on console and has so many grainy artifacts and so much shimmering that you can tell it's very heavily upscaled.

Compared to the last AA UE5 game I played which was Remnant 2 the textures are absurdly low quality like they aren't loading in or something. Kind of pointless using nanite if everything looks like soup regardless of distance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just checked some ps5 gameplay.
Looks like there is crazy reconstruction artifacting like jedi survivors.
Game seems... ok? Nothing special?
I am tempted to give it a try but AC6 comes out. then starfield. I am good for now

Ywap

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Not sure i'll bother finishing it. I hate to speak ill of other peoples hard work but to me this game is rather boring and ugly. Maybe it's not just for me 🤔

One more thing, if i change a key binding my mouse change to non-invert so i have to go to the settings and invert it again.

aeJ3nzm.jpg

Here´s another maxed out scereenshot:

oMzndKP.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom