• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Trolls and SlimySnake Go After Neil Druckmann At The Golden Globes

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
He didn't invent any of this. The greatest Uncharted game is widely believed to be Uncharted 2 and this was when the formula was arguably perfected. TLOU was a joint effort between him and Staley (but mostly Straley). All Druckmann needed to do was the same thing they had already established. Despite this, he managed to alienate a large portion of his fanbase and made TLOU2 into one of the most reviled games in recent history. The fan reception is one of the most divisive we can think of, especially compared to the original.

So, no. Druckmann doesn't deserve any credit for inheriting an all-star team and not even making better games than what they had done in the past. He could have not touched any of those games and we could have had a different director at the helm, and ND would have still produced GOTY material anyway. This isn't thanks to Druckmann at all.
Hahahah

I’ve heard it all now. Neil Druckmann deserves no credit for TLOU… lol

The dude literally wrote the first game. And was creative director on it

And wrote and directed the second

Already wrote the third one and will direct that too.

Straley added input to the story and was responsible for many gameplay elements. The story we all love is druckmann
lol the mods went easy on me.
Mine remains the most brutal, but welcome to the club lmao

Last edited:

mdkirby

well, to be fair this is prob one of the best outcomes for him. This seems to have gone super viral, so I can't imagine they'll make that mistake again and will get more attention next time than he would have otherwise as a result

Topher

Gold Member
No it fucking doesn't because we know other people like Henning and Straley were the driving forces behind their previous games, not Druckmann. This is well-documented.

Their credits are in plain sight. The director of TLOU is Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann is the creative director. The directors of Uncharted 2 are Bruce Straley and Amy Henning. Neil was the main man behind TLOU2 and Uncharted 4, none of which is considered among their best works so what exactly are you arguing here? That ND under Neil produced better games than when he wasn't the sole studio lead?

There is no difference in the director roles of TLOU from that of Uncharted 2. Amy Hennig had the exact same role as creative director in Uncharted 2 as Neil Druckmann had in TLOU. In both, Bruce Straley was the game director. Neil and Bruce were co-directors behind Uncharted 4. The only game where Neil Druckmann was the "main man" was TLOU 2.

Whether or not ND produced better games or whatever is strictly a matter of opinion.

captainpat

1332010233162_9638490.png
Yea, I don't even like the guy but this feels like people grasping for anything to get an "own'd"

Absolutely brutal. I am getting second hand embarrassment from watching this. Lets hope he learns from this and goes back to directing games.
He does direct games. He also helped create this TV adaptation, as well. Which was really successful and well-received and broke records for HBO Max. People can do multiple things at once, it's called being talented.

I don't get the mean-spiritedness of your post, or of others making fun of him, who clearly have no life.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't know about this shit as i have a life.

Why is this guy hated?

Made a game with a butch woman, and a trans person, and killed off people’s apocalypse daddy. I think that’s pretty much all there is.

People giving Druckmann that amount of shit is exactly the same as people boycotting Hogwart’s Legacy.

Exactly. The. Same.

Weak ass idiots who can't deal with something when it offends their delicate sensibilities, and instead of just ignoring it and getting on with their lives, they have to attack it and minimise it.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

I'd say opinions on that vary quite a bit. Although, some of the hate Uncharted 4 gets is a byproduct of the hate from TLOU 2, retroactively applied. That's my opinion, of course.

TLOU 2 is certainly a polarizing game. It still won GOTY on most outlets and won plenty of reader/user polls. The 5.8 user score on metacritc actually isn’t THAT bad considering it got review bombed to hell by people who didn’t even play it.

Uncharted 4 though? That’s as close as a game can get to unanimous praise. It’s at a 8.8 user score on metacritc with 17,000 reviews.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Hahahah

I’ve heard it all now. Neil Druckmann deserves no credit for TLOU… lol
Except for the part where I said it was a joint effort between him and Straley? But best ignore that, right?
The only game where Neil Druckmann was the "main man" was TLOU 2.

Which is the point I was making in the first place. That's the game where Neil was the main creative and driving force, not the others. So for the other guy to answer, "bu bu but he did 3 GOTY," is seriously overblowing Neil's role because he wasn't even the most important person in any of those games besides TLOU2 which didn't get the best reception.
They literally are though.
Probably why we got this thread and a tweet meant to mock him getting 16M views in a few hours. Probably why TLOU2 is one of the most reviled AAA games in the past decade. I can guarantee you, this wouldn't have happened had TLOU2 not been released. Neil's games are TLOU2 and the now defunct Factions one.

As I said, I'd be perfectly fine with Neil and a balancing force to keep the stupid shit he does in check. Neil who has full control like now? Fuck no. That's why I want him to stay away from games.

GooseMan69

Except for the part where I said it was a joint effort between him and Straley? But best ignore that, right?

Which is the point I was making in the first place. That's the game where Neil was the main creative and driving force, not the others. So for the other guy to answer, "bu bu but he did 3 GOTY," is seriously overblowing Neil's role because he wasn't even the most important person in any of those games besides TLOU2 which didn't get the best reception.

Probably why we got this thread and a tweet meant to mock him getting 16M views in a few hours. Probably why TLOU2 is one of the most reviled AAA games in the past decade. I can guarantee you, this wouldn't have happened had TLOU2 not been released. Neil's games are TLOU2 and the now defunct Factions one.

As I said, I'd be perfectly fine with Neil and a balancing force to keep the stupid shit he does in check. Neil who has full control like now? Fuck no. That's why I want him to stay away from games.

You constantly contradict yourself. You’re trying to say he should get no credit, while also admitting it was a “joint effort”.

Neil literally wrote both TLOU games. Bruce Straley does not have a writing credit on the first game. That is a plain fact. That doesn’t mean Neil didn’t receive input from different people, including Bruce. But he was THE writer, and creative driving force for both TLOU games and Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
TLOU 2 is certainly a polarizing game. It still won GOTY on most outlets and won plenty of reader/user polls. The 5.8 user score on metacritc actually isn’t THAT bad considering it got review bombed to hell by people who didn’t even play it.

Uncharted 4 though? That’s as close as a game can get to unanimous praise. It’s at a 8.8 user score on metacritc with 17,000 reviews.

Yeah, I agree 100%, but I'm just saying some of the TLOU 2 hate seemed to bleed onto Uncharted 4 after the fact. Just in forum discourse and such. Not talking about reviews. Yeah, it was GOTY and widely praised. And it deserved every bit, imo.

Gaiff

You constantly contradict yourself. You’re trying to say he should get no credit, while also admitting it was a “joint effort”.
No. Keep up.
Neil literally wrote both TLOU games. Bruce Straley does not have a writing credit on the first game. That is a plain fact. That doesn’t mean Neil didn’t receive input from different people, including Bruce. But he was THE writer, and creative driving force for both TLOU games and Uncharted 4.
No, this isn't what I'm saying. It's very simple.

I said that I want Neil to stay the fuck away from games. You said that he made three GOTY. I retorted that he wasn't solely responsible for any of them, or even the main man besides TLOU2 and that once he took over as the head of ND, it didn't become better, probably even worse. There is ONE game I give Neil Druckmann full credit for and it's TLOU2 and it was a disaster in terms of player reception. I then said that I'd be fine with Neil having a big role, but that's provided he has some other big shot that counterbalances him.

Commanderson

Neo Member
Am I taking crazy pills? I hear normal background red carpet chatter? It’s super light out so i don’t expect any camera flashes. He seems like his reactions are standard as you are getting photos taken?

Topher

Gold Member

What about Amy Hennig then? Is the credit she receives for Uncharted overblown as well? The only game where she was the lone "creative and driving force" was the first Uncharted which wasn't as well-received as the sequels.

Gaiff

What about Amy Hennig then? Is the credit she receives for Uncharted overblown as well? The only game where she was the lone "creative and driving force" was the first Uncharted which wasn't as well-received as the sequels.
Amy Henning's name never received as much attention as Druckmann because she was never the studio head as far as I'm aware. Nobody ever viewed her like a Kojima or Miyazaki in terms of importance to ND which is what is being attempted for Neil here. The only game where his impact is anywhere near those guys is for TLOU2 and look at the reception.

Last edited:

Embearded

He didn't invent any of this. The greatest Uncharted game is widely believed to be Uncharted 2 and this was when the formula was arguably perfected. TLOU was a joint effort between him and Staley (but mostly Straley). All Druckmann needed to do was the same thing they had already established. Despite this, he managed to alienate a large portion of his fanbase and made TLOU2 into one of the most reviled games in recent history. The fan reception is one of the most divisive we can think of, especially compared to the original.

So, no. Druckmann doesn't deserve any credit for inheriting an all-star team and not even making better games than what they had done in the past. He could have not touched any of those games and we could have had a different director at the helm, and ND would have still produced GOTY material anyway. This isn't thanks to Druckmann at all.
It isn't the fans who disliked Part 2 but the incels who had some kind of problem with Abby and Ellie not being sexy.

Topher

Gold Member
Amy Henning's name never received as much attention as Druckmann because she was never the studio head as far as I'm aware. Nobody ever viewed her like a Kojima or Miyazaki in terms of importance to ND which is what is being attempted for Neil here. The only game where his impact is anywhere near those guys is for TLOU2 and look at the reception.

Not true my man. Amy Hennig was highly regarded during the PS3 era for her work on Uncharted. Her name was nearly synonymous with Naughty Dog back then. She was a huge name in the industry. Had nothing to do with being the studio lead. That was Evan Wells and she was far more well known than him.

This is just petty. Sorry, but I see absolutely zero difference between the people going after Druckmann and the blue-hair cancel brigade.

Two sides of the same coin.

I'm gonna have to agree with this.

I know some folks lost their fucking minds after what happened to Joel in TLOUII, but hating on people in real life because of it is juvenile and just fucking gross.

Am I the only one who has a problem with him ruining Uncharted 4's plot that Amy Hennig already wrote?

Last of Us 2 is fine, I don't even care that Joel died though I wish it was much later in the game and I ended up liking Abby and Owen more than Ellie's miserable ass.

Gaiff

Not true my man. Amy Hennig was highly regarded during the PS3 era for her work on Uncharted.
I was there. Her name was never as huge as Neil Druckmann's name is today.
Her name was nearly synonymous with Naughty Dog back then. She was a huge name in the industry. Had nothing to do with being the studio lead. That was Evan Wells and she was far more well known than him.
Yes, it has everything to do with being the studio lead. Druckmann's name really took off when he got the top job. Before that, he was known but nowhere near as much as now, and that's before the TV show.

Topher

Gold Member
I was there. Her name was never as huge as Neil Druckmann's name is today.

Yes, it has everything to do with being the studio lead. Druckmann's name really took off when he got the top job. Before that, he was known but nowhere near as much as now, and that's before the TV show.

Eh....I was there as well and I have a much different recollection of how she was perceived in the industry. Not going to see eye to eye on this so just going to leave it there.

Gaiff

Eh....I was there as well and I have a much different recollection of how she was perceived in the industry. Not going to see eye to eye on this so just going to leave it there.
I mean, has anyone ever held as much power as Neil does now? Neil serves as studio head, writer, director, creative director, and co-president. That's far above what Amy Henning ever did.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, has anyone ever held as much power as Neil does now? Neil serves as studio head, writer, director, creative director, and co-president. That's far above what Amy Henning ever did.

That's fine, but I'm not talking about power over the studio. I'm talking about Amy Hennig's name in the industry. Anyone who followed PlayStation knew who Amy Hennig was.

Gaiff

That's fine, but I'm not talking about power over the studio. I'm talking about Amy Hennig's name in the industry. Anyone who followed PlayStation knew who Amy Hennig was.
That train of thought doesn't check out. How can you argue that Amy was just as big a name as Neil when Neil not only has her role, but more important ones as well? Neil's name was equal to Amy a while ago and completely surpassed her in recognition in 2020 when he got promoted. Now, it's not even close.

Topher

Gold Member
That train of thought doesn't check out. How can you argue that Amy was just as big a name as Neil when Neil not only has her role, but more important ones as well? Neil's name was equal to Amy a while ago and completely surpassed her in recognition in 2020 when he got promoted. Now, it's not even close.

Because I disagree with you that Neil's role as president of the studio has anything to do with him being well-known. It has everything to do with his work as a director and next to nothing to do with his position as studio lead or co-president. I'd wager the vast majority of people who know Neil Druckmann have no idea what he does at Naughty Dog besides being a director.

Gaiff

Because I disagree with you that Neil's role as president of the studio has anything to do with him being well-known. It has everything to do with his work as a director and next to nothing to do with his position as studio lead or co-president. I'd wager the vast majority of people who know Neil Druckmann have no idea what he does at Naughty Dog besides being a director.
I don't think you can seriously argue that him getting the top job and becoming president didn't increase his name recognition even a little bit. Come on man.

Anyway, that's besides the point. The point I was making was that Neil with unbridled control is a disaster waiting to happen. TLOU2 was just a taste. Factions was cancelled, and god knows what he's gonna deliver to us next without anyone to tell him that some of his ideas are stupid. I think he's the kind of guy who needs another strong force to balance him out. There's none left.

Gaiff

Previously I thought the guy was fine.
Not anymore. Fucking wtf man.
I went see this movie with my father and it ruined his childhood. Inexcusable trash.
sorry neil. I will now imagine you had no input in uncharted 4
Man Rofif, you get on my goddamn nerves sometimes and I'd have probably punched you at least twice if we were real life friends but guys like you are what make online forums so much better than reddit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man Rofif, you get on my goddamn nerves sometimes and I'd have probably punched you at least twice if we were real life friends but guys like you are what make online forums so much better than reddit.
I get that... you like that star wars movie then ? :p

Last edited:

Yoboman

Am I the only one who has a problem with him ruining Uncharted 4's plot that Amy Hennig already wrote?

Last of Us 2 is fine, I don't even care that Joel died though I wish it was much later in the game and I ended up liking Abby and Owen more than Ellie's miserable ass.
Ruined how? Be specific

CosmicComet

Dude is probably furiously self pegging to the point of bleeding after hearing that Pedro and other TLOU stars are pushing for a ceasefire.

Last edited:
Top Bottom