• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zomboid |OT2| Still Dying After All These Years

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
MmkCO3o.png

gms4w1I.png

CLwc1D9.png

ABOUT

Genres: Action, Simulation, Open World
Platforms: Windows, Linux, MacOS
Release date: November 8, 2013
Developer: The Indie Stone
Size: 2.1 GB

Project Zomboid is a Zombie Survival RPG available on PC, Mac and Linux. It is currently in early access and has been receiving updates since first launched in 2013.

SURVIVE

Survive.jpg

Surviving isn’t just about blowing zombie heads off. Depression, starvation, loneliness, infection... Just some of the things to deal with...​

BUILD

build.jpg

Craft items to help you stay alive. Whether it’s weapons, food or a plank of wood nailed to a door...​

DEFEND

defend.jpg

Protect yourself and your allies from the relentless horde
with a huge range of weapons and defenses.​

How it's released​

Project Zomboid will be continually updated until we achieve the feature list we set out at the start of development.
The stable build can be found on Steam and GOG, but we often release Public Test Builds of upcoming updates that are downloadable by opting into what we call the ‘I Will Back Up My Save’ beta on Steam. (When possible these are also updated as betas to GOG).
Please be warned however that IWBUMS will be buggy – these releases are our way of widening our tester group. For more information keep tabs on the PZ Updates section of our forum.

FLEE THE HORDE

flee-the-horde-768x648.jpg

Thousands of ‘proper’ zeds roam the streets. Gunfire and combat could lead to a bite...​

SANDBOX SURVIVAL

Sandbox-Survival.jpg

Scavenge food, craft items, and construct buildings and defences in your fight against inevitable death.​

JOIN YOUR FRIENDS

Join-your-friends-768x702.jpg

Team up with similarly doomed buddies on user-created servers and in split-screen! Trust nobody!​

EPIC EXPLORATION

epic-exploration-768x526.jpg

Explore the towns of isometric Kentucky in our vast, growing map. Where will you make your stand?
Game Map

LEARN TO SURVIVE

Learn-to-Survive-768x646.jpg

Develop skills through play, while fending off depression, boredom and infections.​

MODDING SUPPORT

modding-support-768x587.jpg

Powerful Lua mod support, with map and dev tools released to the community.​

n1bGSMt.png

EARLY ACCESS

Why Early Access?
“Project Zomboid is a much more ambitious game than we could ever have hoped to fund ourselves. It has grown massively over the years, and it’s been a rollercoaster, but we now find ourselves in a stable financial situation with an overall positive reaction from the Steam community. We hope you will join us, but if not we understand. If you're not ready to jump in yet, then please consider us when we break out of Early Access.

How often do we update the community?
We have weekly newsletters known as 'Thursdoids’ which we publish on our site and on Steam every Thursday. These detail what we've been up to during the week, often with sneak peeks of upcoming features, interviews and videos. If a blog is fairly dry they’ll sometimes only be posted on our website, but we've had this unbroken chain of ‘doids for a long time and (although when milestones have been reached we may switch to doing them every two weeks) we certainly intend to continue them for the foreseeable future.

How often do we update?
We have a reputation that seems to diverge greatly when it comes to update frequency depending on who you ask. Many consider our game frequently updated, some consider us slow. Some public builds have arrived after three months, others with bigger features have taken more than six. You can see all our public build content, and the dates of release, here.
After a build is released and patched we reopen our public unstable beta, known as the IWBUMS (I Will Back Up My Save) branch – so the community can test it, and help out by reporting bugs. During these times, the greater proportion of the development calendar, we try to update the IWBUMS beta every Thursday.
Some features, particularly NPCs and the new animation system required for their implementation, have taken a very long time to implement. This is largely out of our commitment to getting the features right and them not disappointing on release, but it should be noted that we make no apology for delaying their release until we feel they would be enjoyed, live up to people’s expectations, and most importantly do not have a detrimental effect on the gameplay or stability of the game.
We now work in partnership with several other companies to facilitate all this (General Arcade, and The Eccentric Ape for example) and have also greatly expanded our own staff in the past year.
We will admit to a few long waits between updates in the past, and far longer waits for big features, but we feel from community feedback that the majority of our customers are satisfied with the development of the game.
It should be pointed out too that the game has significant modding support, with map editors and full unrestricted lua modding access, and as such have a vibrant modding community for players to check out.
It should also be taken into consideration that the game is already very far through development, we’d estimate that we’re 75% complete at this point, and we also now have many 1000+ hour players. There is a lot of content to enjoy in the game already and we firmly and proudly believe it worth its current price as it stands.
Please consider reading some reviews if you are still unsure about the content of the game, the release frequency or the debate over the features that have been implemented and those still to come.
Again, full details of all updates to PZ since the release on Steam can be found here.

What is required for 1.0?
Now vehicles have been released to PZ players there are two major features that are yet to be implemented, the first of which is a requirement for what we want to achieve with the second.

• New animation system – a new animation and model system that will allow for more varied and engaging interactions within the Knox Event Exclusion Zone. Allowing better character clothing, more variation in zombies and far greater modding power for the community.
    This system is now being developed alongside our friends at The Eccentric Ape, and will also allow for new animations for stealth mechanics (looking round corners, crouching behind walls, cover etc) as well as a rewrite of the combat system to leverage new animations to make combat more involved, intuitive and fluid.
  • NPCS - A far reaching and in-depth NPC system with character relationships, personalities, and an emergent story engine that allows for diverse and emergent character based zombie survival story unique to every playthrough. This will also include the return of Kate and Baldspot who starred in the early alphas of the game.
    Several features also require either significant modifications, rewrites or completion before we could consider 1.0.
  • Map completion - We still have a major city (our fictionalised version of Louisville, built to a more PZ scale) and an Army base. The rest of the map, which is already pretty vast, can be found here.
  • UI Rewrite - The UI isn’t perfect by any stretch. We would like to get a more intuitive and ergonomic UI system implemented.
We avoid ETAs because Early Access development in particular is often filled with unknowns. We want to ensure we get these highly anticipated features right.
In the meantime however we will continue to update the game and provide new features for our community to play with. While certain developers work alongside our friends at T.E.A. and General Arcade on the ‘bigger’ features we have others devoted to the day-to-day maintenance of the current game: balancing, new crafting recipes, vehicle gameplay, weather systems, professions etc.

What about after 1.0?
At this point, once we feel we have fulfilled every promise we gave when the Project Zomboid site first launched (except the last one, ahem, ignore that. Absolutely no one wanted that, it turned out), as well as the extra things detailed above, and the game is sufficiently polished and bug free, we will launch the game as 1.0 and leave Early Access.
What happens at this point depends entirely on whether the game is making money or not, but given the past solid performance of the game we see no reason why it shouldn’t be. Several developers within the team will likely start exploring our second project, however we have dedicated and passionate devs who were brought into the company via the Project Zomboid modding community, emotionally invested in the game, who are already a big part of the development and communicating with the community. As long as Project Zomboid is making enough to support their continued development of the game, and they are happy to continue working on it (which seems likely), we will continue making Project Zomboid. ”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“See above!”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“See above!”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“See above!”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“It will likely be £5, $8 more expensive once we hit 1.0. Due to our commitment to making sure early adopters get the cheapest price in appreciation of their early support PZ will never appear in sales that take it below the original alpha price of £5/$8 until we are a long time post 1.0. This commitment also means that, until 1.0 and the price increase, we will never be willing to go beyond a 40% sale.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“See above!”

2ijKzrO.png

SCREENSHOTS

eNLYcgv.png

TRAILER

4c4y4A7.png

SOCIALS

Youtube | Twitter | Reddit | Discord | Facebook

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Latest Release Notes

Roadmap / 2022 And Beyond

Nice OT, Maiden!

I'm looking forward to jumping in once I clear some hard drive space.

Never really been one for the survival genre, but I did love DayZ back in the day and I've just come off a huge Dying Light binge, so I think I am ready to be embraced by more zombie goodness.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Nice OT, Maiden!

I'm looking forward to jumping in once I clear some hard drive space.

Never really been one for the survival genre, but I did love DayZ back in the day and I've just come off a huge Dying Light binge, so I think I am ready to be embraced by more zombie goodness.

I killed a farmer dude who was wearing women's underwear under his coveralls. At that point, I knew I had to make an OT. This game is incredible.
YXdxITv.jpg

BigBooper

I bought this back in 2015 or 16 and put it on hold for the full release. Well, 6-7 years later it's still in early access, but you'd say there's enough features there now to be as satisfactory as a complete game? I would be ok with that.

Doczu

Oh boy, that's a game i haven't played for a long time. I think i... tested... One of the first builds, where you just had a "how to play" scenario with your wounded wife and a barebones open world.
I think i will finally buy and play tonight. Thanks Maiden, gonna have a good night today.

MDSLKTR

I like the idea of this game but man they need to spend 6 months and fix that 1990s UI. Everytime I attempt to play this game I stop in frustration because of this.
I bought it and refunded it because of the ui :( but I can't stop watching videos about this game lol. When it's finalised and polished it just might be the ultimate survival rogue game.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I bought this back in 2015 or 16 and put it on hold for the full release. Well, 6-7 years later it's still in early access, but you'd say there's enough features there now to be as satisfactory as a complete game? I would be ok with that.
Honestly, yeah there is an insane amount of content here. They just added Louisville to the map as well. Still not at 1.0 according to the devs. There's no harm in giving it a go, as there's not really a progression outside of each character. With the frequency at which you die, it's nothing to sweat.

CeeJay

I played a couple of years ago and found it pretty brutal. It was just too easy to die very quickly. On the odd occasion I did manage to get a house on the outskirts and secure it you find yourself having to go further and further away on missions (usually towards the centre of town) to secure resource and all it takes is a little mistake after hours of work and your part of the zombie horde. Don't think I ever got as far as the first event. Once you get past the shitty UI there is a pretty amazing survival SIM in there.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bought and played for about a week without having too many expectations. Ended up putting almost 50 hours.

I really recommend this game, specially if you are either a fan of the zombie and survival genres, or if you are the kind of person that enjoys free roam games in which you can set you owm short and long term goals.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i tried to play this again recently and had no idea what was going on, i wish it had some sort of mission system that helps you learn as you play
Check out some vids on YT. I keep getting killed while looking for tools and such so I’m still very beginner. Enemy encounters are a whole high stakes mechanic in and of itself. The game rewards patience for sure.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
ohhh good one mate. The tutorial isn't helpful, its pretty rubbish actually
It's actually not. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You sure you have the latest build? Tutorial should teach you all the basics.

Game has no mission system since it's a free roam sandbox. You have to make your own "missions" by setting objectives on the short and longterm by yourself, based on what you need to survive or want to do.

chixdiggit

I have owned this for years and have attempted to play it a few times. I always end up shutting it off after 20 minutes. I really just need to dedicate a couple hours to learning the game because it seems great.

yansolo

It's actually not. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You sure you have the latest build? Tutorial should teach you all the basics.

Game has no mission system since it's a free roam sandbox. You have to make your own "missions" by setting objectives on the short and longterm by yourself, based on what you need to survive or want to do.
ok man take it easy, i didn't mean to insult your favorite game, i like it too, just saying it's difficult

TintoConCasera

ok man take it easy, i didn't mean to insult your favorite game, i like it too, just saying it's difficult
I don't know why you took that comment as insult when I was just trying to help, but ok.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The UI appears to be still a mess.

Also, while the tutorial does tell you the basics of combat and the like, it is about as barebones as it can be. It is clear what yansolo yansolo was referring to; tons of VERY COMPLICATED™ games have an onramp of sorts that gets you on the right road and then lets you take over without you realizing it.

V4skunk

Banned
True, but "the basics" cover like 5% of all the mechanics that are in place.

I can totally see people being overwhelmed when playing this.
It's still easy to understand.
And the only things I had to look up was how stress and unhappiness worked.
And by reading a faq I found out about stuff like boiling bandages to disinfect them.
Crafting and everything else was pretty easy to work out.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I had my best start so far but got bitten pretty early into day 2. I holed up at the farm north of Muldraugh. I've done that once before. Only downside is there is no TV in the farm house. There is a worker house North-ish of the farm and I stole that TV and lugged it over.

One of these days I will make it an entire week.

I feel like these types of game could benefit from a souls type message system. You'll still get relevant hints without having to refer to a guide, but it doesn't feel hand holdy.

Fools idol

Banned
what's the longest time y'all have gone without dying? I feel like I can never get past 2-3 days. The exponential difficulty is insane.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
what's the longest time y'all have gone without dying? I feel like I can never get past 2-3 days. The exponential difficulty is insane.
4-5 but that depends on how well stocked my hideout is. I struggle with getting the tools & skills to survive mid-to-long-term.

Top Bottom