• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 PC Performance Thread

Iced

Sure wish this game had SMAA as an option for anti-aliasing. TSAA is a bit too blurry for my taste, and MSAA doesn't cover everything.

That said, game is running great for me. Not sure what FPS as I don't really check it since I got my gsync monitor, but everything is maxed out at 1080p.

i7 6700K @ 4.4 GHz
EVGA 1070 FTW
16GB DDR4
SSD

joecanada

Ah what a waste of my new 1060 woulda been great but looks like friends on ps4... Maybe double dip if servers turn out to be solid

If you're maxing the game out and not happy with performance knock down the two shadow options to high from very high and you'll get back like 10-15 FPS

Sounding like my MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro can handle this 1080p maxed out with TSAA and maintain a steady 60fps (the native monitor on the laptop is 60Hz and external is 60Hz, so no need to push past that for myself).

- i7-6700HQ @ 2.6Ghz (3.4Ghz TurboBoost)
- GTX 1060 6GB
- 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz
- 512GB m.2-PCIe SSD

Any indicators this game is CPU intensive? That tends to be a bottleneck in some titles. BF1 plays at high preset at a locked 60fps, with occasional dips to low 50s in 2 very specific long-draw scenes in just two maps that I've observed so far that don't seem to be the case in other tests with more powerful, full desktop CPUs that are pushing closer to 4.0Ghz. Gears 4 is a mix of high/ultra, rock solid, never-broken 60fps at 1080p. TSAA used in both games. I like TSAA a lot in this year's titles, but I'm not sure what kind of performance cost it demands, sounds like it depends on the engine's own utilization of it.

Now whether or not I want the PC version. The early reception has been great and makes me feel like there will definitely be filled out matchmaking for a while, and I certainly prefer keyboard+mouse, but I'm really hoping this becomes my new go-to multiplayer shooter going forward, replacing Overwatch since my buddies seem to have lost interest there. I feel better about solo queueing up in Titanfall anyway. Currently locked in for a PS4 copy tomorrow, but might go PC instead... Very tempted to.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Sounding like my MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro can handle this 1080p maxed out with TSAA and maintain a steady 60fps (the native monitor on the laptop is 60Hz and external is 60Hz, so no need to push past that for myself).

You'd definitely be fine for 1080p60 on that machine. In terms of performance impact, our TSAA is about twice as fast as 2xMSAA in my tests.

You'd definitely be fine for 1080p60 on that machine. In terms of performance impact, our TSAA is about twice as fast as 2xMSAA in my tests.

Excellent DKo5, thanks! ... Now to open up Origin and ponder PC over PS4...

(Maybe I'll just double dip for you guys! ;p)

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno if already mentioned but has anyone been able to supersample? DSR is on in the Nvidia control panel however I'm game I can only go up to the native res of my monitor.

Running great for me on a 970 at 1440p gSync, running borderless windowed so I can alt-tab out easy. SP and MP get good 60-120 fps pretty stable with some minor stuff tweaked, got the latest nvidia drivers but don't have any settings set in the geforce panel.

Using the same launch options as I did in Titanfall 1:

-novid -noborder -windowed +cl_showfps 1

If you're maxing the game out and not happy with performance knock down the two shadow options to high from very high and you'll get back like 10-15 FPS
Yep. Doing this + disabling Ambient Occlusion got me to 120-144FPS in MP @ 1440p.
Wow, that's a way larger margin than I would've thought. Good thing too, as I actually like how TSAA looks.

Some weird issues I'm experiencing in Single Player:

-Binding Titan Core to Scroll Down doesn't work. I have it set to V and Scroll Down and Scroll Down does nothing. Logitech G500 Mouse

-Origin achievement pop ups disable full screen and makes the game suddenly turn into Windowed mode.

Windows 10, i7 4790k, Gigabyte G1 1070 (373.06 version) but not running latest nvidia drivers. Maybe updating drivers might fix it?

Miker

I'm having some stuttering problems in multiplayer. I can't seem to maintain the consistent 16.7ms frametimes that I'm enjoying in campaign, and I'm not sure why. This is 1080p maxed out w/ TSAA, and I'm on a 3570k @ 4.4 and a 1070.

I can't get this game to run 1080p on my laptop. In-game tops out at 720p. Game crashes on startup attempt stating that resolution is not supported when I attempted to add command line via Game Properties on Origin, gonna try the other autoexec way ala other Stream games in a bit.

gettin' pretty shitty framerates on my 4770k and 980ti classified setup [g-sync as well].

mind you, Titanfall 1 never ran so well either on this same rig... freaking source engine.

noomi

I guess insane textures you need more than 4GB RAM :(

For once I actually prefer TSAA over MSAA, even with x8 MSAA jaggies are apparent.

TSAA adds some softness but looks good IMO.

Manac0r

Might be purely anecdotal but thought I would share.

The game was running on max 1440p on a 165Hz G-sync Monitor and Titan X (Maxwell). However there seemed to be a very subtle issue of frames being 'too fast' almost like it was in fast forward at times. It could be easy to overlook but I am very sensitive to frame-rate issues.

Anyway I disabled Hyperthreading (i7) and the game runs perfectly smooth now.

gettin' pretty shitty framerates on my 4770k and 980ti classified setup [g-sync as well].

mind you, Titanfall 1 never ran so well either on this same rig... freaking source engine.

What's your GPU usage? On the same set up its generally hovers around 80% sometimes as low as 65% usage leaving so much performance on the table. It's really annoying and I don't know how to solve this. Latest drivers 980ti/4790k 1440p 165hz gsync monitor.

Fixed my resolution issue. Can't quite play the game maxed out with locked 60fps. It'll run mostly 60fps but there's some pretty sharp dips from time to time. Turned textures down to Very High from Insane, and then turned two of the shadow settings down (sun shadows and the other setting next to it) one setting from max (I believe they're on High rather than Very High) and now I'm rock solid 60fps. Still looks great, and so far definitely playing great. I'm oddly finding myself preferring controller play even on PC, though, movement feels more tactile, the controller rumble is a nice feedback touch, and just like with Titanfall 1, Respawn is in a whole different league when it comes to making analogue stick aiming feel good.

vaderise

Anyone tested this on medium level Mobile GPU's?
I wonder if i can run this at 60 fps on a Gtx950M?
At lower res. of course.

NadoNate

Neo Member
Any chance for native steam controller support? I think I can add Titanfall 2 as non Steam game and make it work.

Steam controller guy here.

What's a good way to launch Titanfall 2 thru Steam with the overlay intact so we can use custom Steam controller configs?

bbd23

What's a good way to launch Titanfall 2 thru Steam with the overlay intact so we can use custom Steam controller configs?

if I remember correctly you have to add the origin exe, launch that then titanfall to get the overlay. its been a while though

scitek

Anyone tested this on medium level Mobile GPU's?
I wonder if i can run this at 60 fps on a Gtx950M?
At lower res. of course.

4GB 860m
i7-4720HQ
16GB RAM

I was getting 30-40 fps on high settings at 1080p.

At 720p, it was around 50-60.

Shadows and Ambient Occlusion are the things to tweak.

MaLDo

wait, Battlefield one on PC has aim assist for controllers?? is this true?

Titanfall 1 pc has aim assist for controllers.
Same as Call of Duty Ghosts, COD Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, etc.

Is the only way to play using controllers against k/m players.

Sequiel

Banned
Anyone using controller much for PC who's had an early copy of the game? Aim-Assist and such the same as on the consoles?

I'm keen to play this with my Elite, but if there's no assist....then death will be certain in every encounter with KB+M no doubt.

Elite here too and yes, there is aim-assist and several independent settings for movement and look deadzones and curves ( linear, steady, aim precision, etc).

Game plays great with a controller.

Sequiel

Banned
Same as Call of Duty Ghosts, COD Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, etc.

But not Star Wars Battlefront right? a friend of mine was playing on pc using kb+m and was being bested by console people with auto-aim. Tried an xbox controller on pc and made no difference for him.

b0bbyJ03

Holy shit! had no idea. I love battlefield but I sometimes just want to sit on my couch and play. I knew TF had it cause i always did well on TF 1 PC. I was very competitive with a controller. Usually came in 1st place even... BF is another story. I would get destroyed. Hope this is becoming a standard. I just picked up an LG OLED and I want to use it as much as possible. lol. Can't wait to pick up TF2 now as well.

hear4beer

I guess insane textures you need more than 4GB RAM :(

For once I actually prefer TSAA over MSAA, even with x8 MSAA jaggies are apparent.

TSAA adds some softness but looks good IMO.

Reading all this stuff gives me hope that my 6 gigs of ram and 470GTX can at least run this on the lowest absolute settings lol

Mrbob

I don't have it yet so not sure but my guess is try add the Titanfall 2 exe. Either that or origin.exe. Dunno if Steam overlay will still work.

MaLDo

But not Star Wars Battlefront right? a friend of mine was playing on pc using kb+m and was being bested by console people with auto-aim. Tried an xbox controller on pc and made no difference for him.

Not in battlefront. Is the first time for Dice in BF1. God bless.

Add the Origin .exe to Steam, rename it in Steam to Titanfall 2. You'll have to click the game from Origin but otherwise it should work fine.

Izuna

Banned
Where is this?

Comms -> Networks -> Set Active.

I think Xbox TitanGAF doesn't have many people setting it as their active network. It's a shame because yesterday there was only about 4 others in, when many more were online matchmaking with randoms despite joining. ;P

Dunno if already mentioned but has anyone been able to supersample? DSR is on in the Nvidia control panel however I'm game I can only go up to the native res of my monitor.
I noticed this too, resolution won't go above native. I'm maxed at 1080p getting locked 60fpd with 50-60% GPU usage. Would like to downsample.

I think Xbox TitanGAF doesn't have many people setting it as their active network. It's a shame because yesterday there was only about 4 others in, when many more were online matchmaking with randoms despite joining. ;P

Yes, do this! I'll be on in a couple hours in the TitanGAF network!

brau

Oh nice. i'll make sure i make this happen next time i boot the game up. Thanks!

I've got;
16GB RAM
i7-2600k @4.3
GTX 680 2GB

I've got textures at high and then just about everything either disabled or turned down to medium/low and it's running at a very good 60fps with rare dips to about 45 in super heavy action (mainly getting into a Titan) and it still honestly looks ok.

This how it looks at low/medium mix:
30587306836_07a37fd5bc_o.png
And with everything turned all the way up:

Considering how fast paced it is I hardly notice.

brau

Interesting shots. I'm contemplating turning some stuff down so I can play in 4K. Looks like the trade off might be worth it.

I need to turn DRS to get 4k as the game doesn't let me run it at 4k. But on 1080p on ultra everything i run it at 60fps steady. Really happy with the performance. Im pretty sure i can 4k this no problem.

After lowering shadow spot and sun to high I had no dips whatsoever, @1080p on an i5 6600k and 970. Only issue I have is that the game starts in windowed mode.

bbd23

i5-3570
8GB RAM
installed on SSD

Sun & spot shadows high
textures - very high
TSAA
Everything else enabled/highest setting

pretty much a constant 60 in campaign so far. probably going to just keep it like this and never worry about the fps again.

renzolama

Whatever this graininess is, intentional film grain or weird noise bug, it's the most distracting example of such that I've come across. I feel like I need to hit the side of my monitor or tweak the rabbit ears on the antenna, it really just destroys the image quality. It's unfortunate because I think the game looks very nice otherwise.

Edit: In addition to this, it also feels like both the default value and range of the in game brightness setting are way too high. I turned the brightness all the way down to 0; the graininess is definitely less noticeable and the image brightness in game feels more appropriate. I'm playing on an Asus VS247H in game mode which is notoriously over-bright already, so this may not apply for people with non-solar monitors

Top Bottom