• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 PC Performance Thread

Hm, not sure if the "film grain" effect people are seeing is an actual film grain effect. I definitely notice it, but using mat_grain_enable 0 in my config doesn't make a difference (which disabled film grain in Portal 2, IIRC what Titanfall's engine is forked off of).

EFJO

Neo Member
I'm getting some pretty intrusive stutter while playing sometimes. I'm not sure if it's tied to specific maps as some rounds I'm issue free. See here for an example.

1920x1080
i5 6600
16GB RAM
GTX 980 - Latest drivers
Win10
Installed on SSD

TSAA, everything maxed out I think apart from shadows set at high.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm getting some pretty intrusive stutter while playing sometimes. I'm not sure if it's tied to specific maps as some rounds I'm issue free. See here for an example.

1920x1080
i5 6600
16GB RAM
GTX 980 - Latest drivers
Win10
Installed on SSD

Try textures on Very High. That looks brutal though and seems like something is really wrong.

EFJO

Neo Member
Try textures on Very High. That looks brutal though and seems like something is really wrong.

Okay, I'll give that a whirl and see how I go, thanks. I've experienced similar problems with BF4 on an older card, I think I was running in to VRAM limits so this might be the solution however much it pains me to lower the setting.

Why's there no borderless windowed mode? Seems odd to exclude it. Launch argument works fine, but still weird it doesn't exist in the video options.

This is the worst use of film grain I've seen.

Game is running fairly well on my somewhat aged build (3570k, 2x7970, 16gb ram, win10). Getting infrequent crashes, but I suspect setting textures to very high is what is doing it.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Game is running fairly well on my somewhat aged build (3570k, 2x7970, 16gb ram, win10). Getting infrequent crashes, but I suspect setting textures to very high is what is doing it.

Actually probably drivers - new ones coming soon from AMD

Max settings for 1080p 60fps on an i5 6600k and 970 should be enough ? BF1 at least manages to not drop below 60.

gotta turn down the sun option and shadow option to high from very high to never drop below 60. I have an OC'd 970 to 1450mhz and it dropped from 60 RARELY when i turned everything all the way up, except textures. I didn't know there was an extreme

Calen

Why's there no borderless windowed mode? Seems odd to exclude it. Launch argument works fine, but still weird it doesn't exist in the video options.

This is the worst use of film grain I've seen.

To paraphrase Rayme from earlier in the thread (I haven't ever seen this personally), that usually means brightness / gamma is too high. He mentioned he had to crank those down on his home PC. There should not be excessive film grain. I'm not even sure we -have- film grain, which would mean you're seeing amplified noise or something really weird.

Izuna

Banned
To paraphrase Rayme from earlier in the thread (I haven't ever seen this personally), that usually means brightness / gamma is too high. He mentioned he had to crank those down on his home PC. There should not be excessive film grain. I'm not even sure we -have- film grain, which would mean you're seeing amplified noise or something really weird.

I don't know... It's pretty darn extensive on the Surface Book screen also.

Will I get booted if I DC from this Japan VPN? The connection's fine, I'm just curious.

HkYqzkd.jpg

Film grain most noticeable on anything black. Could probably just make a gif of it or something.

Says brightness settings don't take effect if not in fullscreen.

i7 6700K / GTX 1080 / 16 GB DDR4

Getting about 50 FPS everything maxed.
4770k / GTX 970 / 8 GB DDR3

I think it's a solid 60fps, or whatever the framerate cap is. I'm running borderless windowed on a 144hz monitor, so it might even be 144fps. Can't tell though. Does Origin not have a setting to display framerate?

Mrbob

Wanted to repeat for those here:

On PC, the game fully supports wired* PS4 gamepads. If you don't see PS4 icons, turn off whatever XINPUT/joytokey utility you're using.

PS4, XB1, and 360 pads all have settings tuned to them. Rumble, default deadzones, etc.

Working on adding some more gamepad options for a patch soon (on all platforms), but tbd.

(* No support for PS4-over-bluetooth yet, just the PS4-over-usb. If I can ever, ever get a DS4 to work with a bluetooth dongle on one of my Win7 machine here then it should be doable. Would anyone use that?)

Any chance for native steam controller support? I think I can add Titanfall 2 as non Steam game and make it work.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm. Yeah it feels like this game ships with the strange brightness/gamma.

Funs quite nice on the Surface Book, maybe even better than the original. I'll post my results soon :D looks like I am officially double dipped

Simply restarting the game fixed my issue of the resolution being stuck at 720p. Can't find any online games, not suprisingly since the game isn't out yet. Guess I'll check out the campaign.

Calen

Turning the brightness down fixed it.

Never had to mess with brightness settings in a game before, and I can't play in borderless windowed with without film grain.

Yeah, that's super weird. Running windowed on PC is the main way most of us run the game while we're working on it, and this would have given the artists (and a lot of the rest of us) hives. It'd be helpful still to get a DXDiag from someone getting this, even if you're okay lowering the brightness to fix it.

Izuna

Banned
Surface Book i5 Performance
[Unpacked CPU, Slight dGPU overclock with MSI Afterburner (+135,+700)

1080x720 (1200x800 looks better but has a big performance hit).

Adaptive VSync
TSAA (no huge hit, very nice IQ)
Medium Textures
16x AF
Disabled Shadows
Disabled Ambient Occlusion
Medium Model Detail
Low Effects Detail
Low Impact Marks
High Ragdolls

--

Campaign (after tutorial) is doing 45-55 with very significant stuttering. Rare dips to 30 during action.

I'll see to limiting the frame rate and various other options for better gameplay.

Brightness/gamma is for sure botched.

Izuna

Banned
So, what should I lower? Getting some drops in the MP on an i5 6600k and 970.

IMO, shadows and AO should be the cause of whatever you're having issues with. The other settings don't have too much of an effect to my finding.

What resolution are you running, you should be doing 60+ at 1080p...

So this is damn annoying. GPU usage around 70% most of the time. I'm sure it's the driver, tried to download the previous driver but says it's incompatible with the current version of windows!!! Anyone have an idea of how to download an alternative driver in this situation? 980ti/4790k 375.63

Hey guys, we've been working with AMD on some stuff for older AMD GPUs - expect a hotfix driver... today? We'll have official messaging/links soon.

Also working on a quick PC patch that'll help with GPU performance and includes something I've been really excited for - especially if you're running a lower end GPU and need those sweet sweet frames above all else.

If this feature is not resolution scaling is there any chance that scaling can be patched in at later time? I have a 4k monitor and even with a 1080 GTX it still struggles on most games to maintain 60fps, having the UI render at native and the rest at a sub-native res helps a lot.

Izuna

Banned
After playing this on Xbox... It seems the film grain stuff is only in the PC version for relatively the same brightness.

NVM it's still there

mjp2417

Banned
For those reporting brightness/grain issues, have you tried toggling between TV and Monitor in the Display options (I'm assuming those are still the same as in TF1)? I run my PC through my Plasma TV via HDMI and I remember needing to switch to Monitor in TF1 otherwise the image would show many of the same symptoms being reported here.

Yikes, the MP performance is way lower than that in SP. I'm getting 60FPS constant @ 1440p. Time to find out what the most performance impacting settings are!

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz
GTX 1080 @ 2025/5258
16GB 2400MHz RAM

Nephix

1920x1080
i5 6600
16GB RAM
GTX 980 - Latest drivers
Win10
Installed on SSD

Same issue here on a 1070, frequent stutter no matter what settings I play with.
Shame as the game runs really well otherwise. :/

Might have to wait for a patch..

980ti 6700k 16gb ram @ 1440p

this game is running 50-70fps with a lot of settings turned off

wtf?

gonna try patching nvidia to latest driver I suppose.

980ti 6700k 16gb ram @ 1440p

this game is running 50-70fps with a lot of settings turned off

wtf?

gonna try patching nvidia to latest driver I suppose.
Check your GPU usage, I have a 980ti 4790k and it doesn't go above 80% normally. Getting 70-100fps typically, dunno if it is an issue with the driver but the same happened to me on titanfall 1, a particular driver was causing the GPU to be under used. That said, you can claw back a reasonable amount of performance tuning off ambient occlusion.

Lowering Sun Shadow Detail and Spot Shadow Detail to high and turning off Ambient Occlusion got my MP FPS up to the 120-144 range. Those three seemed to have a pretty low IQ impact, and they more than doubled my FPS.

brau

whyyy does the game show locked at 720p???

i'll go over the rest of hte thread.

Qyew5FP.png

The restart helps. but it can only do 1080p.... can't go any higher than that? from the 2 mins i ran around no stuttering. i'll keep checking.

Top Bottom