• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is SSX (Trailer) + Uber Mondays

soultron

Banned
What I dig the most is the social/competitive aspect. As long as it isn't too easy to do something amazing, I think the fun will be had beating others runs.

It will be easy to do awesome stuff, I'm sure.

But then you'll see people on MerquryCity.com trouncing your scores by powers of ten.

soultron

Banned
Watching the GB QL now. The avalanche VFX have improved so much. So has the camera. Awesome.

The challenge is the key to purchase for me. If everyone is special, then no one is truly special.

I thought I was good at the original SSX games until I visted MerqCity. Seriously, those folks are amazing at the games.

EDIT: Watching the GB QL and there are "Pure" rewards for the DDs; given when you don't use rewinds. Nice!

The challenge is the key to purchase for me. If everyone is special, then no one is truly special.

SSX was never a wall kicking challenging experience though. Everyone was always special when playing this. The challenges now are player vs. player scores, routes, times, etc., not necessarily landing the tricks, or cheesing scores by going backwards on the track (which actually doesn't work now)

What I dig the most is the social/competitive aspect. As long as it isn't too easy to do something amazing, I think the fun will be had beating others runs.
For every gamer like you I imagine there is a gamer like me who just wants to kick back and do runs with friends absent of competition.

Hopefully the game will accommodate both play styles. With RiderNET I'm concerned I'm going to have competition shoved in my face at every turn.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
For every gamer like you I imagine there is a gamer like me who just wants to kick back and do runs with friends absent of competition.

Hopefully the game will accommodate both play styles. With RiderNET I'm concerned I'm going to have competition shoved in my face at every turn.

There is a lot of me in that statement, too. I would like to be able to just turn off all music and just freestyle a mountain with just the swoosh and crunch of snow in my speakers.

I was initially kinda down on the course art design, but that nighttime track in the Giantbomb video is beautiful. All the streams of light from the other racers, the lighting from the helicopter, the color palette of the track itself, etc. etc. Great looking game graphically.

EDIT: Track was 5 minutes long too. Far cry from the long SSX3 runs. but longest I've seen so far.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
About the tricks seeming very easy to land, is it possible that Mac is using leveled up gear that makes landing easier? I cant remember if in SSX3 the different gear affected balance or not...

Peru

Their talk about the structure really excites me. "If you don't like trick events you don't have to" etc- you can choose your own path through it.

Oh man that crazy Alps track was delicious.

KrawlMan

About the tricks seeming very easy to land, is it possible that Mac is using leveled up gear that makes landing easier? I cant remember if in SSX3 the different gear affected balance or not...

I don't really remember anything about balance in SSX. If I remember correctly you just needed to make sure your uber was finished or that your board was below you. Occasionally the angle of your board and your terrain might cause a problem, but it didn't seem all that common.

jet1911

I was initially kinda down on the course art design, but that nighttime track in the Giantbomb video is beautiful. All the streams of light from the other racers, the lighting from the helicopter, the color palette of the track itself, etc. etc. Great looking game graphically.

EDIT: Track was 5 minutes long too. Far cry from the long SSX3 runs. but longest I've seen so far.

Yeah but that track looks way more interesting than that for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMiq5Wi2dxs&feature=related

GiantBomb stream was way better than the IGN one. The IGN one felt like those guys couldn't give two shits about what game was being demoed. The GB stream you could tell that the two guys were obviously fans of the franchise and were asking good questions and getting Connor to show them some crazy tracks. The Alps track was absurd. Though I think in total they showed less stuff in the GB stream, it was higher quality overall.

Anyway, SO stoked for this game.

Game looks sooooo good, and the GB stream addressed my previous question re: controls. You can pick the new 'stick' controls, or use the old-style button ones. Is there anything they didn't think of?

I noticed that a song can change mid race. I think the way SSX 3 and SSX Tricky worked the song would just repeat.
When I saw a video of the custom soundtrack menu it looked to me like you could only pop in like 5 of your songs. I hope that's not the limit, because otherwise you'd be listening to the same songs again in not a whole lot of time.

When I saw a video of the custom soundtrack menu it looked to me like you could only pop in like 5 of your songs. I hope that's not the limit, because otherwise you'd be listening to the same songs again in not a whole lot of time.

Ugh let's hope not. Otherwise that soundtrack thread is basically a waste :(

Bgamer90

Banned

I hope that isn't true.

The feature would be pointless if that was true (plus I would be wasting my time making an "Unofficial Neogaf SSX soundtrack" with this thread).

I just watched the video ( SSX - 'The Music of SSX' Producer Video ) again, I may have been mistaken. Here's what it shows in the menus:

4sJ4s.jpg

cVN5B.jpg

Anyway maybe Soultron or someone can clear this up.

soultron

Banned
I really don't know what any specific limitations are, if they even exist. (I can't talk too much about it, but there wasn't any bad news to report when I went.) The audio engineers I spoke with are super talented though, so if there are any limitations to Harmony, it's most likely the "fault" of hardware bottlenecking rather than incompetence.

Nahh, that's a playlist which means it should use all of the songs you put in the playlist on the Dashboard or XMB. Doing it any other way would be really...wrong, especially on the 360 which lets you access all your music all the time anyway. Highly doubt there's any 5 song limit.

One of the reason I prefer 3 to Tricky is because, after playing years worth of Tricky, I hated hearing "IT'S TRICKAYYYYY!!" every 5-10 seconds. I'd enjoy the option to toggle it on/off.

I was thinking the same thing watching the steram and the videos...

So the UBER, and SUPER UBER from SSX3 is now just TRICKY...?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Yeah that's what it seems like, but I think you can turn it off if it bothers you. I find the constant Tricky pauses annoying.

There are still three tiers of tricks. Regular, Tricky (blue text) and SUPER Tricky (orange text). Once you hit SUPER Tricky you get unlimited boost. So it's the same as SSX 3 just with different names.

Soultron: I am looking forward to your |OT|. BTW are you getting the game on PS3 or Xbox? We should be PSN pals if that if your platform.

gondee

soultron said:
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm super excited for this game.

Really pumped.

In case you didn't know.
We knew. You will snowboard INTO A PRISON after all. :D Game's looking good isn't it dude? It's hitting that potential we saw up in Vancouver when we were freaking out about how amazing it could be.

The GB quick look road show sold me on a day one purchase. Now the only question is... which console?

Kinda wish there was a PS Vita version with all of the synchronous multiplayer going on. If it could share severs (TRANSFAR) with PS3...

I'm kinda "meh" on avalanche DDs but everything else is totally GotY material.

Yeah, the avalanche looked interesting but the camera is so zoomed out and the whole idea of not being able to see in front of you is just weird. I'll play it but I'm glad the other 8 DDs are traditional in viewpoint. I think the Whiteout one with the Pulse Goggles sounds really cool.

Top Bottom