• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Thrill Ride that is Gran Turismo Sport.....Already Running on PS5.....

thelastword

Banned
Could Gran Turismo Sport be a part of the PS5's launch line up come holiday 2020? It's definitely a possibility because in an exclusive Wired interview, the website confirmed that Polyphony Digital's serious racer is already running on the next-gen system's devkit.

While confirming that the devkit itself does indeed look very similar to one that was outed recently, Wired reveals that Gran Turismo Sport is playable on it. While this is on no way confirmation of a PS5 version, we'd now be surprised not to see a Gran Turismo title at launch late next year.

In combination with the game, the all-new adaptive triggers seem to change the experience in a meaningful way. "Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all."

Do you want Gran Turismo Sport on PS5 or a seventh main entry?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/10/gran_turismo_sport_is_already_running_on_a_ps5_devkit

------------------------
Jim Ryan Says;

“Playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PS5 controller is a completely different experience,” he hinted. “While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.”

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...ntroller_is_a_completely_different_experience

And of course the reason why this game has revolutionized driving games this gen......With this genre recently losing it's steam with the same cookie cutter formula SP formula + numerous open world racing games over the years....GTS has followed a new vision, innovated and went in a new direction and is pulling lots of views and increasing popularity years after launch.....A simple SP game would not have had the limelight still on it.....They established GT as a platform racer and raised .the bar for enthusiasts to have continuous competition in an e-competitive sport and even reaching to the heights of real-track racing, now that's depth........

Now, you can just simply watch this and see why so many people are into GT......

The production values, the commentary, the replays, the graphics.....They have made spectating racing on consoles even more impressive and much more exciting than the real thing.....

thelastword

Banned
This explains why Kaz said he may target 120-240fps...…..They can probably target such framerates with GTS on PS5.... 240fps for VR and 4k 120fps for a GTS port to PS5 for those who will have the 120Hz Tv's.....

gran-turismo-sport-ps4-playstation-4-1.original.jpg

Gran Turismo PS5 Could Target a Mind Melting 240 Frames-Per-Second

We’ve already seen Gran Turismo Sport running in 8K resolution, but speaking with Australian media at a recent event, Polyphony Digital honcho Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that he believes 4K is good enough for games. The veteran believes that framerate is much more important, and he’s potentially aiming big for the PlayStation 5’s first incarnation of the massive simulation racing series.

“In terms of frames-per-second, rather than staying at 60fps, I’m more interested in raising it to 120fps or even 240fps,” he said. “I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward.”

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...d_target_a_mind_melting_240_frames-per-second

Now that's GTS.....but we could we see...

This level of visuals in realtime/gameplay in GT7?

TUROK

“Playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PS5 controller is a completely different experience,” he hinted. “While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control and play using the adaptive triggers.”

Rumbly triggers = "completely different experience."

Lel

This explains why Kaz said he may target 120-240fps...…..They can probably target such framerates with GTS on PS5.... 240fps for VR and 4k 120fps for a GTS port to PS5 for those who will have the 120Hz Tv's.....

Gran Turismo PS5 Could Target a Mind Melting 240 Frames-Per-Second

We’ve already seen Gran Turismo Sport running in 8K resolution, but speaking with Australian media at a recent event, Polyphony Digital honcho Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that he believes 4K is good enough for games. The veteran believes that framerate is much more important, and he’s potentially aiming big for the PlayStation 5’s first incarnation of the massive simulation racing series.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...d_target_a_mind_melting_240_frames-per-second

Now that's GTS.....but we could we see...

This level of visuals in realtime/gameplay in GT7?

I honestly can't imagine many developers wasting time on 120hz, the amount of people that couldn't actusllyntake advantage of it must be so incredibly small.

thelastword

Banned
PS4 is x86 and so is PS5. It will only take a small patch to get GTS running on PS5.
True......and since patching will be done so quickly, they can spend more time improving the visuals of GTS for the PS5....Meaning going fullboard on their 4-8k textures, which they already have in place, give full resolution and framerate to shadows, reflections, AO and effects/volumetrics…….Making trees and crowds fully 3D and improving on their current dynamic systems like; "Shadows/TOD"......I also expect a GTS remaster to have the best car models that we see in the showroom on track at all times and of course full dynamic weather that set the standard in GT5/6......

It's an interesting point you made, because one thing we keep hearing about PS5 is that it will most probably be the easiest console to develop for, much more than the PS4......Even Black Tiger devs can make a competent looking game, so the expectation from top brass devs will be higher, because they won't just do normal/standard, they will go beyond and get more out of the hardware in unique ways...
I honestly can't imagine many developers wasting time on 120hz, the amount of people that couldn't actusllyntake advantage of it must be so incredibly small.
I suspect there will be many 120FPS games next gen......I think at least, many games will give you the option.....I can see COD, Battlefield, Battle Royale Games, Indies/SHMUPs, Moba's. MMORPG's, games like StarCraft, Dungeon Siege, Top Down RPG's.....Games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, your Apex Legends, COD BR etc.....will all give you 120fps options next gen......There will be TV's doing 120Hz at that time too......I'm still in the loop if I'm going for an 8k TV or a 4k 120FPS panel myself......

Think of it this way, when this gen started, not many people had 4K TV's, but look at how cheap 4k TV's have become......I see the same for 4K 120Hz or 8K panels later this year, by year 2 of PS5, 8k adoption and high framerate TV's will be high enough to sustain the effort.....

V4skunk

Banned
True......and since patching will be done so quickly, they can spend more time improving the visuals of GTS for the PS5....Meaning going fullboard on their 4-8k textures, which they already have in place, give full resolution and framerate to shadows, reflections, AO and effects/volumetrics…….Making trees and crowds fully 3D and improving on their current dynamic systems like; "Shadows/TOD"......I also expect a GTS remaster to have the best car models that we see in the showroom on track at all times and of course full dynamic weather that set the standard in GT5/6......

It's an interesting point you made, because one thing we keep hearing about PS5 is that it will most probably be the easiest console to develop for, much more than the PS4......Even Black Tiger devs can make a competent looking game, so the expectation from top brass devs will be higher, because they won't just do normal/standard, they will go beyond and get more out of the hardware in unique ways...

I suspect there will be many 120FPS games next gen......I think at least, many games will give you the option.....I can see COD, Battlefield, Battle Royale Games, Indies/SHMUPs, Moba's. MMORPG's, games like StarCraft, Dungeon Siege, Top Down RPG's.....Games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, your Apex Legends, COD BR etc.....will all give you 120fps options next gen......There will be TV's doing 120Hz at that time too......I'm still in the loop if I'm going for an 8k TV or a 4k 120FPS panel myself......

Think of it this way, when this gen started, not many people had 4K TV's, but look at how cheap 4k TV's have become......I see the same for 4K 120Hz or 8K panels later this year, by year 2 of PS5, 8k adoption and high framerate TV's will be high enough to sustain the effort.....
I want a real GT game not another Sport/Prologue/Concept.

sn0man

As much as I’m not interested in GTS it does make for a smart launch with the new controller and reusing assets at 4K 60. 4K 120 would be an impressive showcase. 4K 60 would be a minor bump.

My thirst remains for a SP focused GT7 regardless.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PS4 is x86 and so is PS5. It will only take a small patch to get GTS running on PS5.

That means zero fucking nothing. It's not like some low level programming is going to work without some rework anyway. And I am counting Zen 2 and Navi 2 architecure
Rumbly triggers = "completely different experience."

Lel
I guess you never played Forza games on XB1 controller. But besides that, I deeply doubt that this feedback is going to be same on "Dualshock 5" because nothing suggest, that you can crammed motors into triggers, like on XB1 controller, that's what make things special. It's mainly the surface area which provide some feedback.

My friend bought a 4k 120hz TV. He was all whoop whoop look at me.

Turns out it only does 120hz in 1080p.
It's not like scaling is linear with this stuff, not the mention bandwidth is a huge issue with this, especially with something like TV, which cannot cram something which cost half of TV, just to compute pixels, not the mention some high-bandwidth multiplex to wire all the pixels, etc...on the functionality which would be used by fraction of the consumer base.

Barnabot

zjHZ3D0.gif

Let the PS5 be announced first and reality punch you in the guts and then kick you in the nuts so you'll be clearly seeing what you're gonna have for PS5 instead of thinking about GTS 4k running at 120 fps/ 240 fps (either way fps will be nonsense with actual 4k) .

Last edited:

FranXico

zjHZ3D0.gif

Let the PS5 be announced first and reality punch you in the guts and then kick you in the nuts so you'll be clearing seeing what you're gonna have for PS5 instead of thinking about GTS 4k running at 120 fps/ 240 fps (either way fps will be nonsense with actual 4k) .
4k/60fps will already be good, why dream of framerates that are impossible on console?

Great Hair

Banned
I want Sport to be a seperate series.

I just want GT7 with offline saves and a shit load of cars, like the good old days.

Polyphony Digital spent up to 6 months per car? yet majority of the users race with "chase cam". Unless they come up with an A.I that can increase the visuals on the PS2 models or PS3 ... i don´t see a trad. GT to ever happen again. Too much work. Few months per car, 1,000 car-catalogue? in GT4 wonder how long that took to make or GT5/6.

GT6 had adaptive tessallation, maybe increase the values by 100% and be done with it?

LostDonkey

4k/60fps will already be good, why dream of framerates that are impossible on console?
Because Kaz always had to come up with an excuse that his games are too advanced for current gen and that they will be ready for next. Even though when that does come around it will already have surpassed what he uses as an excuse for years of incredibly slow development and self gratification.

xrnzaaas

Hey Kaz, how about if we first get a few years of games comfortably running in 4K/60fps. I'm pretty sure it will be a decent challenge for the PS5 to hit 4K/60 with added realistic weather effects.

thelastword

Banned
I want Sport to be a seperate series.

I just want GT7 with offline saves and a shit load of cars, like the good old days.
Most probably, SPORT will be the online portion of GT7 and they will overhaul a new SP game with lots of content into GT7......But for GT7, I think we can expect.....

SP-Overhauled Campaign, More tuning Options, More in-race options and Simulation, better Ai.
MP-Racing Etiquette and Sport Online/ FIA Sponsorship and Esport Mode.
BSpec-Using other players and the computer to race and bring you points...

Dude, developers barely even give a shit about 60fps, and that option can be displayed on every single television available today. You really think they will care about a frame rate double that of one they already couldn't care less about for a minuscule amount of tv owners out there?

tenor.gif

thelastword

Banned
Dude, developers barely even give a shit about 60fps, and that option can be displayed on every single television available today. You really think they will care about a frame rate double that of one they already couldn't care less about for a minuscule amount of tv owners out there?

tenor.gif
Yes, they will...….Look at all the games I mentioned, easy 120fps candidates.....Some of these games already run at 120Hz on current mid gen cards......

What does not exist today will not be prevalent tomorrow......says nobody.....Everything changes and people will upgrade.....I think I've had my current 4k TV for a long time already......In November there will be quite a few 8K and 120Hz tv's to choose from....People will want content for them and they will get them.....PC has been doing 144Hz for years, if console developers target 120fps, who wins? 60fps guys, because 60 will become the new 30....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yes, they will...….Look at all the games I mentioned, easy 120fps candidates.....Some of these games already run at 120Hz on current mid gen cards......

What does not exist today will not be prevalent tomorrow......says nobody.....Everything changes and people will upgrade.....I think I've had my current 4k TV for a long time already......In November there will be quite a few 8K and 120Hz tv's to choose from....People will want content for them and they will get them.....PC has been doing 144Hz for years, if console developers target 120fps, who wins? 60fps guys, because 60 will become the new 30....
120 is old news..
240 is what we need

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
now where can i buy a 4K 120hz TV? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

seriously..console players get so excited "it can do 120-240fps!! i can't wait". yeah maybe it can but you need a display that can do that too.

have y'all seen the price of a 4K 144hz screen? my 1440p 144hz screen cost £490 and that's considered a "budget" display lol. a 4K 144hz screen is anywhere between £800-2,000.

why would you spend that kind of money on a display for a console that we aren't even sure will be able to manage 60fps as standard???

Last edited:

nkarafo

Is there even a 4K @ 120hz capable panel?

Boy, some people have ridiculously high expectations from a console.

thelastword

Banned
Is there even a 4K @ 120hz capable panel?

Boy, some people have ridiculously high expectations from a console.

By November 2020, the market should be flooded with all brand types and lower prices......You will also see quite a few 8k TV's on shelves too, so you can pick your nectar....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i wonder if 8k 120hz will be a thing instead of 4k 240.

i rather have 120 in 8k

thelastword

Banned
We already have 8k TVs in our store, they cost about 3000€.
No doubt, by Holiday 2020, you will get an influx of 8K and 120Hz 4K panels from every brand like Hisense, Vizio, TCL......Some even NON-QLED and they will be cheaper and more affordable than current models......People will dive in like flies on feces pie.....

Virex

Banned
That means zero fucking nothing. It's not like some low level programming is going to work without some rework anyway. And I am counting Zen 2 and Navi 2 architecure

I guess you never played Forza games on XB1 controller. But besides that, I deeply doubt that this feedback is going to be same on "Dualshock 5" because nothing suggest, that you can crammed motors into triggers, like on XB1 controller, that's what make things special. It's mainly the surface area which provide some feedback.

It's not like scaling is linear with this stuff, not the mention bandwidth is a huge issue with this, especially with something like TV, which cannot cram something which cost half of TV, just to compute pixels, not the mention some high-bandwidth multiplex to wire all the pixels, etc...on the functionality which would be used by fraction of the consumer base.
Calm your tits. Take your fanboy shit somewhere else

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Actually what M1chl M1chl has said did raise a point for me...

The impulse triggers on the Xbox are fantastic but have been pretty much forgotten.

This is the same as the touch pad.

Or the switch rumble.

These things get added, then for some reason largely forgotten about quickly.

Fox Mulder

Actually what M1chl M1chl has said did raise a point for me...

The impulse triggers on the Xbox are fantastic but have been pretty much forgotten.

This is the same as the touch pad.

Or the switch rumble.

These things get added, then for some reason largely forgotten about quickly.

The xb1 impulse triggers seem designed for Forza. Gran Turismo Sport also uses the DS4 gyro for steering very well and I don’t recall it used in much either.

Last edited:
I suspect there will be many 120FPS games next gen...
As someone who has seen this overhyped marketing BS, followed by a big hype crash once the console actually launches and people realise it can't literally beam photorealistic 3D virtual reality rainbow lasers into their eyes, time and time again...I'll believe it when I see it. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying my high-refresh rates on PC, the platform that has been capable of them for decades now.

Kuranghi

IMO most if not all PS5 games will NOT run at anything even near 4K@120hz, and even if they do it will be because they have graphics that demand much less power than comtempory games making native 4K and 60hz+ easy to achieve [ie - a tech showpiece game] or use some form of reconstruction that means its not true 4K or... god help us... MOTION INTERPOLATION... to produce more frames. *shudders*

Here is Doom 2016 running at max settings at 4K, he is using a 2080ti and it is regularly going below 90fps in battles, so unless the GPU in the PS5 costs $1000 I have my doubts we'll be seeing framerates near 120hz at 4K. Unless PS5 games released in 2021 are going to look like a game from 2016.

I hear cries of, "But the PS5 might still output a 4K@120hz signal and just not always achieve 120 fps but be fluctuating from 60-120 fps depending on the scene" and to that I say "That sounds horrible." I would prefer locked 60 fps over that, so many console games that have an unlocked framerate [going between 30 and 60] feel awful.

Top Bottom