• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of Metroid Prime 4 news *Probably* means that the game will be a cross-gen title.

Will Metroid Prime 4 be a Cross Gen game?

• Yes

Votes: 64 70.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 29.7%

• Total voters

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, its very clear that we are heading into the 10th gen, as the sales of the Switch are clearly decreasing(even if slowly), and if Nintendo changed to a shorter marketing strategy for their games, having *almost* no game announced for 2024(Outside of the ever elusive Metroid Prime 4, a new Princess Peach game, and a remaster of Luigis Mansion 2) clearly shows that Nintendo is gearing up to something big. And the only thing big enough for Nintendo to not commit to sonething more longer term, to have big games to act as a carrot in a stick to keep players thinking how great the next year will be, is a next gen system.

And with Metroid Prime 4 being a no show in this direct, it is clear that it won't launch this year. So if the earliest it will launch is in 2024, the same year a 10th gen Nintendo system is likely to launch... you start piecing things together.

But what do you guys think? Is it likely that Metroid Prime 4 is being positioned as a 10th gen game? Actually, is it likely that Nintendo is launching their 10th gen system next year?

tr1p1ex

MP4 not that big of a game. Metroid franchise is not a big franchise for Nintendo contrary to how it may seem. So no cross gen. No date has been set. And for all we know it is never released.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

definitely think that the kinds of games they showed means we are going to hear about the next console in 2024.

remakes, party games, 2d scrollers and dlc ...those games/content have shorter lead times and are the types of games they would throw out for a system at the end of its life.

Nautilus

Banned
MP4 not that big of a game. Metroid franchise is not a big franchise for Nintendo contrary to how it may seem. So no cross gen. No date has been set. And for all we know it is never released.
I agree about Metroid not being as big as people think it is.

But Metroid Prime appeals to an audience that few Nintendo propreties do, and if the game ends up being a graphical showpiece, they will want to leverage that for their next system.

Plus, if the game was cancelled, Nintendo would go on record. Nintendo has said countless times that development has been going smoothly ever since the reboot to just cancel it and never talk about it again.

Nautilus

Banned
definitely think that the kinds of games they showed means we are going to hear about the next console in 2024.

remakes, party games, 2d scrollers and dlc ...those games/content have shorter lead times and are the types of games they would throw out for a system at the end of its life.
I wouldn't include a 2D Mario as a evidence in that, considering how popular and beloved those games are. But the rest? Oh yeah, definely. It does feel like padding for the most part.

Nautilus

Banned
Hopefully it's next gen Switch only. Wanna see the visuals pushed to the max instead of Switch hampering them.
Nah, it won't. Its been god knows how long being developed for the Switch. They won't simply drop that version, especially when that was promises way back in 2017

Edder1

Nah, it won't. Its been god knows how long being developed for the Switch. They won't simply drop that version, especially when that was promises way back in 2017
You maybe right, but the number of games we've seen recently drop last gen and release only on new gen consoles says otherwise. However, in your favour is the fact that Nintendo is all about maximising profit and therefore Switch version is most likely.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

Things we were promised and shown title screens of but never got:
MP4
MP Trilogy remaster

Things Nintendo thinks we are privileged to receive
MP1 remaster at $40

Pfft! The gullibility of the buying masses.

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, it won't. It’s been god knows how long being developed for the Switch. They won't simply drop that version, especially when that was promises way back in 2017
Yeah there’s no way this won’t release on Switch. They won’t skip out on a user base of +130M.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm thinking it's gonna be a strict Switch successor title, honestly. I'm not there to verify, but if the project started a year or so before the formal announcement, they're probably at risk of falling into dev hell. If Nintendo themselves outpace Retro with hardware improvements, they have to tweak every part of whatever build they have to be optimized on that new hardware, and if it's cross gen, they have to take the same steps working in reverse.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They're sleeping on it until it's 100% necessary to release. They probably don't think they really need right now. Nintendo sits on complete games for a while until they see the right moment to release them.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They need to do a really fucking great marketing for it. I mean, Dread sold well, but not good enough for a Nintendo exclusive

Still, they need a new Mario game at least in the near future. History shows that every major Nintendo console without Mario in the launch window struggle a little - N64 was cartridges, but still

It was switched to Retro in 2019 and most of the big names on the team were hired in 2020.

It’s definitely headed to Nintendo’s next gen console, but the question for me is if they’ll put out a Switch version.

Switch has a massive install base that will rival the DS and PS2 when all is said and done. Shame is also a bigger deal in Japanese corporate culture so the fact they (very prematurely) announced the game for Switch may be motivation enough by itself.

MP4
MP Trilogy remaster

MP1 remaster at $40

Things happen. It was originally being developed by Namco and Nintendo (without revealing the developer) came out publicly to announce that they were starting from scratch with Retro.

Nautilus

Banned
It was switched to Retro in 2019 and most of the big names on the team were hired in 2020.

It’s definitely headed to Nintendo’s next gen console, but the question for me is if they’ll put out a Switch version.

Switch has a massive install base that will rival the DS and PS2 when all is said and done. Shame is also a bigger deal in Japanese corporate culture so the fact they (very prematurely) announced the game for Switch may be motivation enough by itself.
Oh, probably it will be. Its too big of an install base to ignore, and the promise was made back in 2017 of a Switch version. Plus, I doubt Retro and Nintendo were already aiming for a Switch 2 waaaaay back in 2019. Seems way too early.

tr1p1ex

I wouldn't include a 2D Mario as a evidence in that, considering how popular and beloved those games are. But the rest? Oh yeah, definely. It does feel like padding for the most part.
yep but it is still a relatively short development time for a 2d mario game. "padding" doesn't have to be not popular or not good. just has to have relatively short development times. a 2d Mario game isn't taking 2 or 3 years to make afaik. They even released the creation tool as a game.

SMB Wonder is really more in the category of DLC. They already released SMB games for the Switch in the form of SMB U and SMM2. This is just a huge DLC pack essentially.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I agree about Metroid not being as big as people think it is.

But Metroid Prime appeals to an audience that few Nintendo propreties do, and if the game ends up being a graphical showpiece, they will want to leverage that for their next system.

Plus, if the game was cancelled, Nintendo would go on record. Nintendo has said countless times that development has been going smoothly ever since the reboot to just cancel it and never talk about it again.
Metroid doesn't have much of an audience so it is a moot point if it appeals to a different audience. ;)

Because a game doesn't have any leverage as a system seller if it doesn't have much of an audience.

It would only be moved to the next Switch (as a rule of thumb) if it wasn't going to be finished in time and then obviously they say to themselves hey let's start "porting" our work so far to the next platform for eventual release there.

IF the next platform is trojan horse VR where they release a Switch 2 but with a headstrap in the box...well a MP4 might be a good game for that extra functionality (vizor/helmet/1st person/limited movement/3d world) and perhaps in that case they make a deliberate decision to hold back the game (assuming it was very far along) and rework some parts of it for that functionality.

But when a franchise sells 21mn units total in its entire ~35 yr existence? They aren't going to go out of their way to hold back a game in that franchise for the next gen as a rule of thumb. There's no "leverage" there.

And as far as canceled goes, yes Nintendo would come in and say it was canceled if it was. But for all you know that happens tomorrow. That's my only point there. You never know.

Last edited:

Synless

MP4
MP Trilogy remaster

MP1 remaster at $40

When did Nintendo ever promise a MP Trilogy Remaster and showed a screen of it? I’m certain it was never anything more than a rumor.

Nautilus

Banned
Metroid doesn't have much of an audience so it is a moot point if it appeals to a different audience. ;)

Because a game doesn't have any leverage as a system seller if it doesn't have much of an audience.

It would only be moved to the next Switch (as a rule of thumb) if it wasn't going to be finished in time and then obviously they say to themselves hey let's start "porting" our work so far to the next platform for eventual release there.

IF the next platform is trojan horse VR where they release a Switch 2 but with a headstrap in the box...well a MP4 might be a good game for that extra functionality (vizor/helmet/1st person/limited movement/3d world) and perhaps in that case they make a deliberate decision to hold back the game (assuming it was very far along) and rework some parts of it for that functionality.

But when a franchise sells 21mn units total in its entire ~35 yr existence? They aren't going to go out of their way to hold back a game in that franchise for the next gen as a rule of thumb. There's no "leverage" there.

And as far as canceled goes, yes Nintendo would come in and say it was canceled if it was. But for all you know that happens tomorrow. That's my only point there. You never know.
If sales potential were the only thing that mattered for Nintendo in that aspect, then XC 2 wouldn't have been a launch year game, and not a December game. Back when it launched, XC 2 could really have used 3 or 4 extra months to iron out the technical issues it had. But Nintendo felt it was important to have a big RPG in the launch year.

I don't know. I think the HARDCORE fanbase, and I emphizise in the hardcore part, cares deeply for Metroid. And who are the people that are usually day one in a new system? Hardcore fans. Plus, Zelda and 3D Mario best selling games were around 10 million units. Excellent numbers to be sure, but then BOTW and Odyssey went on to become 30+ million unit sellers, completely different beasts than they were.

Could Nintendo be so confident in MP 4 that they think this is a similar case(Go for a 2 million franchise to a 6 to 10 million?). We don't know. But at this point, I'm willing to believe that MP 4 is at least a cross gen title. Not that it will be the only one, nor that it will be THE launch month game.

blacktout

MP4
MP Trilogy remaster

Nintendo never promised a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster and there was no title card reveal. It was just a pervasive rumor. "Leakers" were teasing it as early as the 2018 Game Awards, ironically right before Nintendo announced Prime 4 was being rebooted.

tr1p1ex

If sales potential were the only thing that mattered for Nintendo in that aspect, then XC 2 wouldn't have been a launch year game, and not a December game. Back when it launched, XC 2 could really have used 3 or 4 extra months to iron out the technical issues it had. But Nintendo felt it was important to have a big RPG in the launch year.

I don't know. I think the HARDCORE fanbase, and I emphizise in the hardcore part, cares deeply for Metroid. And who are the people that are usually day one in a new system? Hardcore fans. Plus, Zelda and 3D Mario best selling games were around 10 million units. Excellent numbers to be sure, but then BOTW and Odyssey went on to become 30+ million unit sellers, completely different beasts than they were.

Could Nintendo be so confident in MP 4 that they think this is a similar case(Go for a 2 million franchise to a 6 to 10 million?). We don't know. But at this point, I'm willing to believe that MP 4 is at least a cross gen title. Not that it will be the only one, nor that it will be THE launch month game.
That isn't an example of what we were talking about. That's just Nintendo getting a game out for the holidays instead of waiting a few months.

If anything, it's actually closer to an example of a game that is launched on the current system and not held back for the next system if you want to compare it to what we were talking about. ;). If it was a system seller they probably would have held it back as they are known to do with their big games.

Some people caring deeply about metroid doesn't change that it isn't a big seller. I like Metroid myself. But reality is reality for the business. The hardcore types are going to buy the new system regardless and metroid isn't going to move more units.

Metroid Prime was an amazing game back in the day but it only sold 2.8mn copies.

Expecting MP4 to be a system seller for a franchise that hasn't been a system seller in its 35 years even when it has had massively praised games is wishful thinking. It isn't impossible, but it's not realistic. A lot of games got sales boosts on the Switch. A big reason why is Nintendo went down to 1 platform. Before their base was split in half sort to speak. Yet Metroid Dread, a fun game with a high metacritic and user review scores, has maybe sold 3mn copies. Metroid Prime remaster has sold 1mn copies.

MP4 is out when it's out. I don't think there will be an effort to hold it back for a dual release like Zelda has been held back in the past. They won't go to that much trouble for Metroid. And I don't think it will held back for next-gen for the same reasons.

IF they feel they promised MP4 for the Switch then they could also release it on the Switch even if it isn't done before Switch 2 comes out. Because that is a bit of a Nintendo/Japanese thing to do. Whether they feel that way is a grey area. They did tease it. But it was the bare minimum of teases. The words "Metroid Prime 4" on a screen is all I remember.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
That isn't an example of what we were talking about. That's just Nintendo getting a game out for the holidays instead of waiting a few months.

Not the same as holding back a game to launch on the next system. If anything, it's actually closer to an example of a game that is launched on the current system and not held back for the next system if you want to compare it to what we were talking about. ;)

Some people caring deeply about metroid doesn't change that it isn't a big seller. I like Metroid myself. But reality is reality for the business. The hardcore types are going to buy the new system regardless and metroid isn't going to move more units.

Metroid Prime was an amazing game back in the day but it only sold 2.8mn copies.

Expecting MP4 to be a system seller for a franchise that hasn't been a system seller in its 35 years even when it has had massively praised games is wishful thinking. It isn't impossible, but it's not realistic.

MP4 is out when it's out.
And yet the example are relevant to the point at hand. It points out that for Nintendo, variety is almost as important as sales potential. And Nintendo is known for sitting on finished games. Do you know what is the most recent example of it? Metroid Prime Remastered, of all games. If I'm not remembering it wrong, MP Remastered was ready for launch 1.5 YEARS before it actually launched.

As for breaking new records, Metroid Dread is the new best selling entry in the franchise, and its a new entry that released what, 3 years ago? And will sell for years, and its primed to sell at least 4 millions at least.

Again, I'm not saying that it will be THE launch game, but it will accompany titans like Mario Oddyssey 2 or new IPs to give the Switch 2 launch year variety, like the Switch had. And that's what I think Nintendo is looking for.

tr1p1ex

And yet the example are relevant to the point at hand. It points out that for Nintendo, variety is almost as important as sales potential. And Nintendo is known for sitting on finished games. Do you know what is the most recent example of it? Metroid Prime Remastered, of all games. If I'm not remembering it wrong, MP Remastered was ready for launch 1.5 YEARS before it actually launched.

As for breaking new records, Metroid Dread is the new best selling entry in the franchise, and its a new entry that released what, 3 years ago? And will sell for years, and its primed to sell at least 4 millions at least.

Again, I'm not saying that it will be THE launch game, but it will accompany titans like Mario Oddyssey 2 or new IPs to give the Switch 2 launch year variety, like the Switch had. And that's what I think Nintendo is looking for.
lol I don't know what you're talking about any more. IT's hard for me to go down so many what feels like unrelated rabbit holes.

Because the topic was as far as I was concerned and/or the point I was making (that you replied to) was they aren't going to go out of their way to hold back MP4 for next gen. Because it isn't a system seller.

Whether or not they sat on MPR doesn't seem to have any relevance. I'm not arguing that they won't hold this back because they never have sat on a game before. Obviously they held BotW back for the Switch so wouldn't be an argument as far I'm concerned.

Variety at launch or in the first year doesn't have any relevance either to this topic. They try to release a variety of games but no one game is needed to make that happen afaik.

Metroid Dread could sell 1mn more copies. Doesn't change the point. Metroid isn't a system seller.

The vibe I sensed from the original post and from quite a few comments is a vibe that seems to think MP4 is the equivalent of BotW when it was held back for dual release on Wii U/Switch or a Twilight Princess which received a similar treatment for GC/Wii. And I just don't see it for reasons stated. Not a system seller. And for all we know MP4 could be canceled next week. IN other words, MP4 development is in a much more questionable state it seems.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Obviously. In fact, now it might skip Switch altogether. Switch 2 is definitely coming out before 2025. This game might not.

Nautilus

Banned
lol I don't know what you're talking about any more.

Because the topic was as far as I was concerned and/or the point I was making (that you replied to) was they aren't going to go out of their way to hold back MP4 for next gen. Because it isn't a system seller.

Whether or not they sat on MPR doesn't seem to have any relevance. I'm not arguing that they won't hold this back because they never have sat on a game before. Obviously they held BotW back for the Switch so wouldn't be an argument.

Variety at launch or in the first year doesn't have any relevance either to this topic. They try to release a variety of games and no one game is needed to make that happen during any shorter period of time.
It doesn't matter it isn't a system seller. The point I am trying to make is that at this point they think its better to release alongside a Switch 2 in order to give that system more variety to its line up. Looking at the Switch, we got at the first year: Action Adventure, (kart) racing, Fighting Game, (weird) third person shooter, a SRPG, mosou, 3D platformer, and a JRPG. From the first party point of view, not a single release was on the same genre.

And that's probably a reason why the Switch was so successful out of the gate. And that's also why MP 4 doesn't have to be a system seller. Even if it "just" sells 4 millions or so, it being there and providing variety to the lineup will make the system more attractive overall, and even if "just" convinces 1 million people to buy the system, its still 1 million people in arguably the most crucial year of any system.

And I mean, ARMS sold 3 million (I think), the FE musou game barely got to 2 millions, and XC 2 must be reaching only now 3 million units sold. And yet Nintendo is happy with them, as it is making sequels to most of those games.

I think what we are confusing with each other is that you think that sitting on MP 4 is dumb because the game wouldn't move that many units to begin with, and would just make sense to release once its done, just like Super Mario Wonder or Super Mario RPG Remake right? My reasoning with this is: Since MP have been historically a game that relies a bit more on the graphical side, and it is one of the few Nintendo IPs that is a FPS, and seeing that the game would either be ready this year or next year regardless(given it restarted development early 2019), why not just make it coincide with the Switch 2 launch, or release it once that system is out?

Its not like MP 4 would have released much earlier than that anyway(assuming a 2024 wasn't always the plan), and that will certainly help sell the system, even if a little.

tr1p1ex

It doesn't matter it isn't a system seller. The point I am trying to make is that at this point they think its better to release alongside a Switch 2 in order to give that system more variety to its line up. Looking at the Switch, we got at the first year: Action Adventure, (kart) racing, Fighting Game, (weird) third person shooter, a SRPG, mosou, 3D platformer, and a JRPG. From the first party point of view, not a single release was on the same genre.

And that's probably a reason why the Switch was so successful out of the gate. And that's also why MP 4 doesn't have to be a system seller. Even if it "just" sells 4 millions or so, it being there and providing variety to the lineup will make the system more attractive overall, and even if "just" convinces 1 million people to buy the system, its still 1 million people in arguably the most crucial year of any system.

And I mean, ARMS sold 3 million (I think), the FE musou game barely got to 2 millions, and XC 2 must be reaching only now 3 million units sold. And yet Nintendo is happy with them, as it is making sequels to most of those games.

I think what we are confusing with each other is that you think that sitting on MP 4 is dumb because the game wouldn't move that many units to begin with, and would just make sense to release once its done, just like Super Mario Wonder or Super Mario RPG Remake right? My reasoning with this is: Since MP have been historically a game that relies a bit more on the graphical side, and it is one of the few Nintendo IPs that is a FPS, and seeing that the game would either be ready this year or next year regardless(given it restarted development early 2019), why not just make it coincide with the Switch 2 launch, or release it once that system is out?

Its not like MP 4 would have released much earlier than that anyway(assuming a 2024 wasn't always the plan), and that will certainly help sell the system, even if a little.

The games that were factors out of the gate for Switch were BotW and MK then Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.

They weren't ARMS, XC2 and FE musou (whatever that game is.) It wasn't 1 2 Switch either. Those games didn't sell systems.

And it takes work to move a game in development to next gen. Hence it has to be worth their time. That's why Nintendo isn't going to go out of their way to move MP4 to Switch 2. IT's not going to get the BotW treatment.

IT's not a big franchise. It's not going to be some savior. We aren't even sure where this game is in development either. Expectations in this thread are too high on average.

I don't think Nintendo is having a debate about this game as in let's hold it back for Switch 2 and profit!!!

I wouldn't even be confident we see it in the next few years. Did they even add it to 2023 games before? I remember seeing it on a list but not sure that was Nintendo or was a gaming site that did that.

I think the argument that says they should hold it back for Switch 2 because it's a poor seller and it's different in the same way most every other game they make is different is a weak argument.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The games that were factors out of the gate for Switch were BotW and MK then Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.

They weren't ARMS, XC2 and FE musou (whatever that game is.) It wasn't 1 2 Switch either. Those games didn't sell systems.

And it takes work to move a game in development to next gen. Hence it has to be worth their time. That's why Nintendo isn't going to go out of their way to move MP4 to Switch 2. IT's not going to get the BotW treatment.

IT's not a big franchise. It's not going to be some savior. We aren't even sure where this game is in development either. Expectations in this thread are too high on average.

I don't think Nintendo is having a debate about this game as in let's hold it back for Switch 2 and profit!!!

I wouldn't even be confident we see it in the next few years. Did they even add it to 2023 games before? I remember seeing it on a list but not sure that was Nintendo or was a gaming site that did that.

I think the argument that says they should hold it back for Switch 2 because it's a poor seller and it's different in the same way most every other game they make is different is a weak argument.
Good lord, its probably the third time I have said that the game doesn't have nor is a system seller. That if it does release in the Switch 2, its probably going to be released alongside a true system seller, like Mario Oddyssey 2.

The purpose to be there is to provide variety. To convince a small number of people that like that type of game to buy the system. For me, what made me get the Switch in the launch year and not later wasn't BOTW or Mario Odyssey, it was XC 2. And if the launch year of the Switch has a considerable number of games that appeal to a small number of people EACH, that becomes a big selling point for the system("Look! We don't only have two system sellers(Mario Kart 9 and Odyssey 2), but also a collection of 6 different big budget titles on widly different genres!"). And Nintendo will want to save every possible bullet they can.

It seems that you have a bone to pick with Metroid. I am not even that big of a Metroid fan. I really started to appreciate the franchise with Dread actually, but even I have to admit there are a lot of hardcore fans out there that really are looking fotward to see MP 4. And if the game delivers, that could be a strong(read: NOT system seller) game to fill a catalogue of games for the first year of the system, even if it "only" sells 3 or 4 million units.

Bridges

From my recollection, Nintendo has never released their first party games for crossgen, with the sole exception of certain Zelda games.

I wouldn't count on it. It's either coming out near the end of the Switch or a launch window title for its successor, not both.

Or maybe we'll just have the Switch forever now and we'll get Metroid whenever it's ready.

tr1p1ex

Good lord, its probably the third time I have said that the game doesn't have nor is a system seller. That if it does release in the Switch 2, its probably going to be released alongside a true system seller, like Mario Oddyssey 2.

The purpose to be there is to provide variety. To convince a small number of people that like that type of game to buy the system. For me, what made me get the Switch in the launch year and not later wasn't BOTW or Mario Odyssey, it was XC 2. And if the launch year of the Switch has a considerable number of games that appeal to a small number of people EACH, that becomes a big selling point for the system("Look! We don't only have two system sellers(Mario Kart 9 and Odyssey 2), but also a collection of 6 different big budget titles on widly different genres!"). And Nintendo will want to save every possible bullet they can.

It seems that you have a bone to pick with Metroid. I am not even that big of a Metroid fan. I really started to appreciate the franchise with Dread actually, but even I have to admit there are a lot of hardcore fans out there that really are looking fotward to see MP 4. And if the game delivers, that could be a strong(read: NOT system seller) game to fill a catalogue of games for the first year of the system, even if it "only" sells 3 or 4 million units.
But it does have to be a system seller. Because there's little to no point in holding back poor selling games that don't move systems. AS far as we know, Nintendo is not in any trouble at providing games for Switch 2. AS far as we know they aren't hurting for "variety" either.

And MP4 certainly doesn't provide any more "variety" than most of the other games in their arsenal. You can literally pick almost any 6 games/franchises in Nintendo's arsenal and it would provide "variety" and together meet your definition of "system seller." But everyone knows a system needs games and every (one) knows it isn't wise to release all driving games or all shooters or all party games in one year.

So your reason doesn't strike me as a strong reason.

Nintendo can convince small numbers of people to buy a system by releasing pretty much any game. They don't need to hold back a specific game to do that.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
But it does have to be a system seller. Because there's little to no point in holding back poor selling games that don't move systems. AS far as we know, Nintendo is not in any trouble at providing games for Switch 2. AS far as we know they aren't hurting for "variety" either.

And MP4 certainly doesn't provide any more "variety" than most of the other games in their arsenal. You can literally pick almost any 6 games/franchises in Nintendo's arsenal and it would provide "variety" and together meet your definition of "system seller." But everyone knows a system needs games and every knows it isn't wise to release all driving games or all shooters or all party games in one year.

So your reason doesn't strike me as a strong reason.

Nintendo can convince small numbers of people to buy a system by releasing pretty much any game. They don't need to hold back a specific game to do that.
I do think that "pretty much any game" can be MP 4, especially since we don't know if the would even be ready for this year.

But we clearly disagree on the principle here. So lets agree to disagree.

tr1p1ex

Another good argument for why we won't be seeing cross gen is the Switch 2 will be a lot more powerful than the Switch - more so than any Nintendo transition we've had in a quite awhile.

All due to the long length of the Switch generation and because the basic form factor and basic control method are likely to stay similar enough. (Yes this is an assumption.)

The 2 times, afaik, that we saw cross gen games from Nintendo, were during sideways moves in power both when we went from the GC to "2 GCs duct taped together" or when we went from the WII U to a Wii U but in handheld form (Switch.) IN the first the included control method changed drastically but power stayed similar enough. IN the second, the form factor changed from console to handheld and power difference was perhaps even closer together between the two.

Without those types of changes and because it will have been at least 7 1/2 years (longest ever generation for Nintendo and maybe everyone else,) the Switch 2 will receive a major leap in power over the Switch. (Processing power leaps only get greater the longer the time period.)

That will make it a lot more difficult to do a cross gen release especially for how a company like Nintendo likes to operate. They like to keep things simple.

PS. Both of those sideways power moves were also transitions away from a poor selling system. We don't have that here either.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Another good argument for why we won't be seeing cross gen is the length of the Switch generation and the transition to Switch 2 not being a sideways move in power.

The 2 times, afaik, that we saw cross gen games from Nintendo, were during sideways moves in power both when we went from the GC to "2 GCs duct taped together" or when we went from the WII U to a Wii U but in handheld form.

This time around though we are going to get a big leap in power in the move to Switch 2 because not only will this have been the longest Nintendo cycle of at least 7 1/2 years which only helps leaps in processing power but because the form factor and basic type of control will be held static.

That will make it a lot more difficult to do a cross gen release especially for how a company like Nintendo likes to operate.

Of course I assume they won't change the basic controls and form factor in a meaningful enough way to warrant a sideways move in power. (I actually think could do trojan horse VR tho. Think Switch 2 with a head strap packed in. That would require a nice leap in power. But I digress.)

PS. Both of those sideways power moves were also transitions away from a poor selling system. We don't have that here either.
I'm assuming that the type of games that would be cross gen are like the 2D Mario and the Super Mario RPG ones, where the raw graphics aren't really that important.

But I guess a cross gen period will depend if the Switch 2 will have backwards compatibility or not. I mean, its not strictly necessary, but it would be immensily helpful to help develop cross gen games, and make people transition to the next gen.

tr1p1ex

I'm assuming that the type of games that would be cross gen are like the 2D Mario and the Super Mario RPG ones, where the raw graphics aren't really that important.

But I guess a cross gen period will depend if the Switch 2 will have backwards compatibility or not. I mean, its not strictly necessary, but it would be immensily helpful to help develop cross gen games, and make people transition to the next gen.
Well as a rule of thumb Nintendo doesn't do cross gen games. I mean they've only done 2 in their history afaik. Both of them Zelda. I was really only talking about MP4.

Obviously it's easy to make a game for the lesser platform and put it on the newer more powerful otherwise similar platform too. Even if it isn't 2d. IT's the other way around that I was thinking about.

I am not sure Nintendo would have held back Zelda for the next platform for a cross gen release if the next platform was a lot more powerful. It might give the wrong message about what is new about the next platform.

So with MP4, if they make a decision to "switch" development to Switch 2, I assume they will go all out and make a proper Switch 2 version to take as much advantage of that next platform as possible. And we won't see a Switch version. I also figure there has to be more to Nintendo's next system than just a faster slicker Switch.

I assume Switch 2 will have b/c. Because I assume they will stick with Nvidia. And they've done b/c pretty much every gen since GAmecube/GBA days iirc. Only the Switch didn't have b/c because of the big change in architecture.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Well as a rule of thumb Nintendo doesn't do cross gen games. I mean they've only done 2 in their history afaik. Both of them Zelda. I was really only talking about MP4.

Obviously it's easy to make a game for the lesser platform and put it on the newer more powerful otherwise similar platform too. Even if it isn't 2d. IT's really the other way around that I was thinking about.

I am not sure Nintendo would have held back Zelda for the next platform for a cross gen release if the next platform was a lot more powerful. It might give the wrong message about what is new about the next platform.

I assume Switch 2 will have b/c. Because I assume they will stick with Nvidia. They've done b/c pretty much every gen since GAmecube/GBA days iirc. Only the Switch didn't have b/c because of the big change in architecture.
I mean, at the end of the day, its a gut feeling. We never expected the Wii, until it happened. We never expected the Wii U, until it happened. The same for the Switch.

My gut, more than anything, tells me there will be a cross gen period because: The Nvidia partnership will almost certainly happen. It would make no sense to change things now, after so much success. The 3DS had a "cross gen" period, where Nintendo still supported the 3DS for two good years into the Switch. The support was light, but it was there. And that support happened because Nintendo needed a financial safety net for the first year while the Switch gained traction. Which brings me to my third point: Nintendo might want a safety net for the first or second year of the Switch 2 while it gains traction. And the Switch will probably be not only the best selling console of all time, but also the most profitable Nintendo console of all time. So it only majes sense to lean on it for a year or two.

Lasha

My vote is on the game not being good due to poor development. Nintendo wants to avoid issuing an apology letter at launch while it's riding high with TotK.

Top Bottom