• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just caught up on the first two episodes, i really like it so far. Jason Clarke is great. Probably will end up too good for network TV (see Southland).

New episode tonight.
Gillis, Chase & Babyface

Jarek and Caleb arrive first on the scene at a bank robbery and chase the thief through the streets of Chicago only to find he has met a gruesome end. As the Chicago Police Department pieces together the clues of the robber, Superintendent Colvin conducts a critical meeting with Alderman Gibbons about a key construction site. Duplicitous politicking raises the stakes and further exposes the depth of corruption in the city

big ander

Best episode so far tonight. Gibbons was good in the past couple episodes. But this one? Abso-fucking-lutely terrifying. Jarek and Bram from Lost had a great thing going on. The case-of-the-week story was cool. Excellent episode. Let's hope it keeps momentum from this.

big ander said:
Best episode so far tonight. Gibbons was good in the past couple episodes. But this one? Abso-fucking-lutely terrifying. Jarek and Bram from Lost had a great thing going on. The case-of-the-week story was cool. Excellent episode. Let's hope it keeps momentum from this.

Yep, this was clearly the best episode of the three that have aired so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gibbons tops that dude from Terriers as the awesome slimeball rich guy. I wonder where this will end up... at this point, I'm expecting a half-compromise ending to the arc - they each have so much shit on each other that no one can make a move.

Keep forgetting this show comes on at 9 on Mondays. I see the thread for it. First 2 episodes have been really good. Hop on Hulu to catch the 3rd probably tomorrow.

Good stuff tonight - definitely felt like the ratcheted the tension up a bit with all of the double crossing as well as the Super and Jarek meeting setbacks. Delroy Lindo was awesome, too. The attention to small details on this show is great (e.g. Jarek's partner saying that he's clear on the right after Jarek asked him earlier in the episode to do so.)

A couple reviews:
- Sepinwall
- Onion A|V Club

Ceebs

This show is really damn good. It's had me hooked from the pilot. It feels like it's moving 100 miles an hour at all times and the episodes are over before you know it.

Fantastic episode. This show is really starting to take off. Jarek is a really fucking great character, and I love the fast and sharp pace that the show moves at

In other news, I started my first Shield rewatch last weekend. As cool as the first three episodes of The Chicago Code is, it's still nothing compared to The Shield. If any of you blokes haven't seen it yet go buy the boxset and cancel all of your plans for the next two weeks

Of course everybody here probably HAS seen it. I know I wouldn't have paid any attention to this show if Shawn Ryan wasn't doing it, and I'm guessing most of you guys are the same way

Anyway, really hope the ratings pick up and this doesn't get cancelled after the first season. It would be a real shame to have such another quality drama be so short lived

dead souls said:
Nielsen ratings aren't flawed at all. They measure exactly what they say they do.

Yes, but what they measure isn't as relevent any more.

DVD/Blu Ray sales make quite a bit of money. Even a small but devoted audience that absolutely loves a show can generate a lot of revenue thru dvd sales and other tie ins. Look at Firefly. Fox made a killing through dvd sales alone.

Some of the greatest shows needed time to build an audience. Even shows like Seinfeld and 24 that ended up basically printing money, started off slow.

I for one love this show and hope that at the very least, it gets a full season order and a definitive conclusion to the Gibbons story arc.

Episode 3 ranks up among the best hours of television I've ever seen.

Has there been any news on how many episodes have been ordered yet?

deadbeef

The Chief of Staff was a total redshirt, but I didn't mind since it really got things rolling. Hope they can keep the pace up.

big ander

Stephen Colbert said:

DVD/Blu Ray sales make quite a bit of money. Even a small but devoted audience that absolutely loves a show can generate a lot of revenue thru dvd sales and other tie ins. Look at Firefly. Fox made a killing through dvd sales alone.

Some of the greatest shows needed time to build an audience. Even shows like Seinfeld and 24 that ended up basically printing money, started off slow.

I for one love this show and hope that at the very least, it gets a full season order and a definitive conclusion to the Gibbons story arc.

Episode 3 ranks up among the best hours of television I've ever seen.

Has there been any news on how many episodes have been ordered yet?
Whoa, best hours ever?? That's a pretty heady statement, but to each their own.

13 episodes for season 1. Production has wrapped. Shawn Ryan said they'll soon lock episodes 12 and 13 and be completely done.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
big ander said:
Whoa, best hours ever?? That's a pretty heady statement, but to each their own.

Certainly it's the most excitingly directed episodes of a cop show in recent memory. I mean, just compare the "action" scenes (which amounted to running around train cars and running at a liquor store) to something like Chuck and you can see the craft in action.

Edit: I'm still watching Mike and Molly out of boredom/hating myself, and I still like to imagine these shows taking place in the same universe. I do find it funny how presumably Mike and Molly couldn't get the "real" CPD uniforms so they're just slightly "off" enough as to not be infringing.

Double Edit: I also find it hard to believe that Shawn Ryan was involved in The Unit. Yeah, it also had the
unexpected character death
and the heightened macho man-bonding stuff, but none of the energy.

Stephen Colbert said:

Bringing up Firefly isn't really relevant though, most shows don't sell anywhere near that well on DVD. Chicago Code certainly isn't going to sell even a fraction of the sets that Firefly did.

Shows still generate most of their revenue through selling ads during broadcast (and syndication rights if they last long enough), which is why Nielsen remains the dominant force in the industry. Good DVD sales might weigh slightly in a show's favor but they won't make up for bad ratings.

Shawn Ryan is a god to me. Terriers was awesome and The Shield is the best show ever made. Meh to the Chicago Code though. The main dude and Lindo are the only good actors on the entire show. The dialogue is cringe worthy (some of it due to lack of swearing). Story just isnt that interesting so far, I feel like Damages did the whole 'one season spent on taking a bad dude down' much better. Ill stick with it for now though.

Meier

Cabrini Green is a project that was closed down some years ago for the uninformed. It's mostly been destroyed so it'll be easy to use it as a building that was blown up I'm guessing. :lol

yacobod

Banned
show hasn't hooked me yet, wish it was on fx or amc so they could do something more with it tbh, feels sort of generic so far, will give it a few more episodes before dropping it

Tamanon

Banned
Favorite part of this episode is that you didn't see the bad actors until the final minute of the show.

I like the Alderman, he's just too damn smart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I went through a marathon of The Wire and it's very hard not to compare this episode to the Royce/Davis machinations from The Wire. (Unfortunately, it's fairly inferior, but I'll chalk that up to season 1 growing pains).

At this point, the only real problem is that the show has to distract itself with a "CSI-case of the week A story" in order to fill out the minutes. I mean, even though last week's episode was also just about a bank robbery, it at least established the relationship Jarek had to the rest of the force. This one was just silly ripoff of the Weather Underground story and it ruined the flow of the Alderman's development. In fact, if you cut out all the scenes that the Alderman was not in, you'd probably have a much stronger episode... but, cop shows have to have cops in it I suppose.

Certainly the show is good, but I think being on network TV is preventing it from being memorable in any way. Sort of like Ryan's last network TV project.

Now, on to Mike and Molly to watch a show that makes a mockery of the Chicago PD!

Decent episode, but the more I watch the more I become convinced that the characters of the superintendent and the undercover cop are both terribly miscast. The scene between the two of them was terrible.

Yeah, it was ok tonight, but it's still falling just a little bit short for me. The undercover guy isn't pulling his weight. Delroy Lindo was very good again tonight.

Such an awesome show. I don't know why you guys are down on it. The superintendent is fine. No a fan of the actor for the undercover but he's not a big part of the show yet.

I already see potential for it to someday displace The Shield as my favorite show of all time, assuming they can take the Alderman arc in an unexpected and satisfying direction. Of course, odds are the show will get canceled or run out of decent story arcs well before it reaches it's potential. Or worse yet, fox will ruin it by making it purely a formulaic case of the week type of show :(

But I thought the same of the shield early on too

Agreed, the dialog in that scene with the snitch was really lazy exposition, I couldn't believe this episode was written by Whedon-student Tim Minear.

Show is definitely better than most other procedurals and the action is well done, but it's still a little too by-the-book for me. Some of the talk of different gangs and their racial allegiances had echoes of The Shield but she definitely can't play them like Vic Mackey can. I wonder if the gangs are going to become a bigger part of the show.

All 13 episodes have already been shot so it's pretty likely we'll at least get to see it play out as intended.

Wads

Banned
I'm enjoying this show, despite the fact that fox has pulled the rug out on us all far too many times. I was over at my dad's yesterday and he had Death Race on (he loves cheesy action movies for some reason). Anyway, a couple scenes in I notice Wysocki was in it. Thought it was pretty funny.

big ander

Everything clicked for me tonight. Brilliant pacing, great camera work, and I felt even Liam and Teresa were excellently acted for the first time.
And complete "HUH" at Gibbons being pointless in this episode. We only learned more about him and his past shaping his shady actions today was a great parallel to him essentially pushing the kid into crime and the bombings catching up to the author.

- Sepinwall's review

Sounds like there was an uptick in the ratings, too. Those should be out in a few hours.

Stephen Colbert said:
I don't know why you guys are down on it.
Don't get me wrong - I certainly like the show. It just falls a little short of being a great show, and I want it to make that jump into something that I'm extremely excited about watching every week.

Cornballer said:
Don't get me wrong - I certainly like the show. It just falls a little short of being a great show, and I want it to make that jump into something that I'm extremely excited about watching every week.

I completely agree with this. It's close, but not quite there yet.

Everything with the Alderman was fantastic. They need to focus more strongly on the characters. But after Terriers, I'm guessing Ryan and Minear are skittish about leaving the procedural element on the table.

I agree the undercover cop is badly miscast as I can't even buy him as a tough guy. Good thing about that role though is they can have the Irish mob find out and take him out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stephen Colbert said:
Such an awesome show. I don't know why you guys are down on it. The superintendent is fine. No a fan of the actor for the undercover but he's not a big part of the show yet.

I already see potential for it to someday displace The Shield as my favorite show of all time, assuming they can take the Alderman arc in an unexpected and satisfying direction. Of course, odds are the show will get canceled or run out of decent story arcs well before it reaches it's potential. Or worse yet, fox will ruin it by making it purely a formulaic case of the week type of show :(

But I thought the same of the shield early on too
If you like the Alderman stuff, you should watch all the Clay Davis stuff from The Wire. He's genius at just fucking over anyone and everyone, and it's a little less silly than having a man who shoots gangsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom