• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Outside of the rampant (expected) Chicago wanking, a couple stretches in believability and a cliche here and there, it was solid stuff.

big ander

I thought the ending was pretty awesome. On the whole the pilot wasn't spectacular, but it was a good cop drama and it looks like it'll only get better.
Lead Based Paint said:
Guitar riff ruined it for me.
How so? That was a regular thing on The Shield.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Lead Based Paint said:
Guitar riff ruined it for me.

Yeah, something somber would have been better, something like The Wire.

But other than that, I liked it. The show needs a strong supporting cast to keep me interested though, not just a good leading man. I'm hopeful on Caleb.

Grifter

ramped up and improved as the episode went on. i'll keep watching but hope they don't go overboard with the chicago love and sox/cubs lines. the niece is distractingly beautiful.

deadbeef

After about the first 30 minutes or so after the initial exposition was finished, I thought it really picked up steam. Has potential, I think.

SpeedingUptoStop

I feel like pushing all of that CHICAGO stuff up front isn't gonna help the show's ratings as much as Fox execs would like it too, but I could be wrong.

ggnoobIGN said:
Yeah no, not even close.
Chicago deep dish sucks too

In all seriousness, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the episode and probably need to rewatch. I liked how the lead doesn't appreciate profanity but has no problem cheating on his fiance; I guess that's part of the CHICAGO CODE.

I fucking loved it. I live fairly close to Chicago so the setting is great for me since I'm pretty familiar with parts of the city. The main characters were all awesome, particularly Jarek. I love the Irish Mob angle with Gibbons and the setup of trying to take down a stacked system. One of the strongest pilots of a show I've seen in a long time. Consider me a fan, already looking forward to next week

SpeedingUptoStop

CajoleJuice said:
In all seriousness, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the episode and probably need to rewatch.
Glad I wasn't the only one. Somehow, the show kind of lost me between where Beals mentions she has an undercover and when Jarek confronts him at the memorial without me realizing it and I kind of lost track of what was going on for a second.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in. Pilot was trying to appeal to the masses and appeal to people like me, and I think it did pretty good. I see a ton of potential here even if Wysocki is a filthy White Sox fan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SolKane said:
it's just hard to get attached after what happened with terriers

Terriers *cry*

Such an amazing show.

Why does the corrupt aldermen have to be black? There's corruption of every creed, color and gender here, but everyone knows Daley's boys control most of the graft. Shit, Jon Burge finally got sentenced to jail for systematically torturing black youths to extract bullshit conventions during the 1980s.

A bit by-the-numbers, but definitely good enough to keep watching. It's nice to see Jason Clarke on a drama again. I even thought Matt Lauria was pretty good, though it'll take a few more eps before I stop thinking of him as Luke Cafferty.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
A bit by-the-numbers, but definitely good enough to keep watching. It's nice to see Jason Clarke on a drama again. I even thought Matt Lauria was pretty good, though it'll take a few more eps before I stop thinking of him as Luke Cafferty.

I really think that's to be expected though: Fox's pilots are usually extremely conventional and broad. Lone Star was an exception (not like that even mattered). Actually, I can't really think of any Fox pilots that didn't use genre cliches as a crutch.

ivysaur12 said:
I really think that's to be expected though: Fox's pilots are usually extremely conventional and broad. Lone Star was an exception (not like that even mattered). Actually, I can't really think of any Fox pilots that didn't use genre cliches as a crutch.

Yep. Plus a show being conventional isn't really a problem when it's executed this well. Now I guess we just have to wait and see how the ratings are.

Slick pilot - you can tell they threw some money at it. The camera work and sound were good. Very well cast. Some of it lacked subtlety (use of voice over, music, occasional dialogue), but overall I liked it. I'll check it out next week to see where it goes.

A few reviews:
- memles
- Ken Tucker
- Sepinwall
- Onion A|V Club (reposted from earlier)

big ander

Dr. Pangloss said:
Do you think we'll see a bad cop become a regular like Vic Mackey?
I bet it's a possibility. Who knows how long the show will last, but I'm betting Ryan has a couple stories in mind if/when Gibbons is taken down.

Sinatar said:
Wait... this guy isn't Pryzbelweski? Holy crap they might as well be twins.

This guy's better actor though (and I'm a Wire fan). And nah they don't look that similar. I'm not seeing it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm in for at least a few more episodes, if not more.

And shame on you people not knowing the guy from Brotherhood and Public Enemies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
a) I shouldn't have been surprised when the thing that happens at the end of the episode happens.

b) This thing was slick as hell. They even managed an awesome crane shot for not other reason than to show off the city.

c) It may not be Terriers, but it seems just as smart. Hopefully this show will last much longer.

I enjoyed it, more so after I started connecting the names and such together since it was moving as a pretty good clip. The camerawork was pretty good with all the crane style shots, and the well shot chase/negotiation at the beginning.

I'll stick around.

I was a bit taken aback by the lighter, almost cartoon-ish opening touch - not exactly what you would expect from a Shawn Ryan show - but everything grew on me as it went along. The (blitzkrieg-characterization) mini-monologue voice-overs were brilliantly used, especially in Antonio's case, coming as it did with its punctuation being the shooting - perfectly timed, as it demonstrated just how much of an impact his death would be on Teresa. The ending didn't hit anywhere near as hard as The Shield's pilot, but it was still impressive.

Teresa and Jarek are perfect in their roles and compliment each other well. The Big Bad didn't disappoint, either: not just smart and uncomplacent, the alderman was suitably freakish with that celebratory ear-tonguing in the shooting aftermath. There's a lot of potential in the Undercover Liam sub-plot - and he certainly kept his cool at the right times in this episode.

The young, new partner figuring out that Liam wasn't quite right so quickly was a bit contrived, but, worse, the Wysocki niece and her partner/lover thing felt like a big upcoming distraction from the central, more interesting plot concerns.

Cartoon-ish is probably the wrong word to describe this. Comic book-ish might. It feels like a smarter, tougher, harsher, more serialized version of - to use a network TV comparison - something in the vein of fellow cop show, Castle. Which isn't bad, just different than what you would expect from a Shawn Ryan show. Although different is what he's likely hoping for as far as ratings go.

P.S. Jennifer Beals is 47?! Her husband must have made a deal with the Devil.

- Ratings from last night:
CBS won the night with adults 18-49 and total viewers. Fox was close behind, but that was thanks to a House that was up 16% vs. its last original to a 4.3 adults 18-49 rating and 12.32 million viewers. While the premiere of The Chicago Code retained a fair bit of House’s total viewers (9.4 million), it dropped to a 2.4 adults 18-49 rating. That has to be disappointing for Fox considering the Super Bowl the night before set an all-time viewing record. The half hour detail for The Chicago Code was a 2.6 adults 18-49 rating the first half hour and a 2.3 the second.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Jennier Beal is 47?....

I would've guessed about 10 years younger than that.
I was surprised to read that given how young she still looks, though Flashdance was almost 30 years ago.

Terrible numbers. A few weeks ago Lie to Me got a 2.5 in the same time slot. A 2.4 for a series premiere is an absolute disaster.

I really dread what the ratings will be in a few weeks.

If the show continues to average 9 million, regardless of demo #'s - it'll survive.
Wish this was on FX if only because we would be guaranteed a full season pickup.
Poor Shawn Ryan :(! Thank christ 'The Shield' was a hit.

Was it just me or was the audio kind of messed up on the pilot? Good episode though.

Mifune

Mehmber
I really liked this. Some of the VO and editing was kinda Scorsese-esque. Definitely one of the most cinematic shows I've seen on network TV.

But oh god those ratings blow. Shawn Ryan can't catch a break.

Bleh screw primetime television. I just saw and enjoyed the pilot.

Hearing that there's a possibility of cancellation already...uh what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom