• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on tonight. Good to see it get a few plugs during the game yesterday.
Pilot

Teresa Colvin, the city's first female superintendent, petitions for a corruption task force to investigate an entrepreneur-turned-politician; Colvin's ex-partner, Jarek, investigates a suspicious murder with his new partner, Caleb.

- Sepinwall's review
This is a very smart, well-produced, great-looking cop show, one that does familiar things but does them in interesting ways.

big ander

Cornballer said:
It's on tonight. Good to see it get a few plugs during the game yesterday.

- Sepinwall's review
A TON of plugs. And it looks like it'll get viewers. My friends who had never heard of it thought it looked great and my mom even texted me about it.
Re sepinwalls review: that's all I'm asking for, a cop show done right and done interestingly.

big ander

Televisionary review
Ultimately, The Chicago Code is strong television, anchored by an extremely talented cast and some top-notch writing. The broadcasters would be smart to take note of the fact that it's still possible to tell compelling and intelligent stories in the context of serialized drama without high-concept approaches. At the end of the day, this remarkable series comes down to a few good cops squaring off with the black hats, but it does so with style, grace, and intelligence. Not to be missed.

big ander said:
A TON of plugs. And it looks like it'll get viewers. My friends who had never heard of it thought it looked great and my mom even texted me about it.
The commercials they showed yesterday were a lot better than the original set. Definitely got me pumped up for the premiere.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
573c75421fded18c843edafea062b18d.jpg

Pryzbelewski... stop eating my sesame cake. STOP. EATING. MY SESAME. CAKE.

- NPR: 'The Chicago Code' Delivers A Smart And Compelling New Take On An Old Genre
You do not need a study guide for The Chicago Code. This is not homework television. It is an engrossing, sharply written crime drama full of great acting, intriguing relationships, and an intriguingly complex plot about city corruption. And lest you think I'm saying it's facile, it's far from it. Shawn Ryan is a guy who's interested in institutions, both formal and informal, and that's the kind of cop show it is.

Meier

Mr. Paer said:
We'll see though. I am at least thankful Ryan is back to doing more cop drama, that seems to be where he excels most
I hope you watched Terriers. Otherwise, you're dead to me.

Meier said:
I hope you watched Terriers. Otherwise, you're dead to me.
No way, I'm scared to watch that shit. I'm not going to put myself through being involved in what is assuredly a great story only to know that one season is all we will ever have

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Mr. Paer said:
No way, I'm scared to watch that shit. I'm not going to put myself through being involved in what is assuredly a great story only to know that one season is all we will ever have
You only read books that have sequels?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
You only read books that have sequels?
From the people I've talked to who have seen it, they've said it has so much untapped and unexplored potential because it didn't have enough time to be fully fleshed out in subsequent seasons. Just going off of The Shield, Ryan seems like a guy that usually has an end game in mind for his projects, so knowing I can't get the complete story from the universe would just make me sad

Meier

Mr. Paer said:
From the people I've talked to who have seen it, they've said it has so much untapped and unexplored potential because it didn't have enough time to be fully fleshed out in subsequent seasons. Just going off of The Shield, Ryan seems like a guy that usually has an end game in mind for his projects, so knowing I can't get the complete story from the universe would just make me sad
Although we as fans obviously wanted more, they did end it in a way that is acceptable for only getting 1 season. I'd definitely recommend watching it regardless of the fact it did not live as long as it should have.

SpeedingUptoStop

Mr. Paer said:
It had untapped potential to be sure, but the season most definitely comes full circle and closes off loose ends storywise. Characters aren't completely changed for the better (as that would have boned a 2nd season most definitely) but there is definitely a remarkable and worthwhile change to them. It's definitely worth checking out, 100%.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly w/ Speeding and Meier. It's a gut punch that Terriers was canceled, but it's an excellent season with enough closure to make it well worth your while. Watch it.

Excellent, you guys sold me on it. I'll have to wait for the DVD release, but I will put it at the top of my Netflix que once it comes out

SpeedingUptoStop

Man, this is on after House. To think, I used to watch that every week and now I don't even know it's on. :-/

The main cop seems like a very likable character

I missed the beginning of the opening montage though... Beals character said something caused her parents to get a divorce and now she wants to fight corruption? What happened exactly?

SpeedingUptoStop

That was a little cheesy, kind of early to be skirting the edges of believability like that, but I guess I'll let it play.

Backstories working really well though.

Zoe

Mr. Paer said:
I missed the beginning of the opening montage though... Beals character said something caused her parents to get a divorce and now she wants to fight corruption? What happened exactly?

It was a montage of her father having to pay off different people from cops to the mafia, and it eventually caused his business to go under.

Mifune said:
It's been over for a while. You should watch the rest of it. Season Two was the peak, as far as I'm concerned, but the series finale was surprisingly satisfying.

The series finale, while being rushed, ended exactly how I expected the series to end as. Really good performances from both brothers on that episode.

big ander

SolKane said:
it's just hard to get attached after what happened with terriers
They're such different shows though. Terriers was a strangely marketed buddy "cop" drama-comedy on a small network. TCC is a frequently marketed and more standard cop show on a big network.

OH SHIT

This is an incredibly strong pilot. I'm hoping they put the episodes online, I'd really like to watch this again to pick up on some of the relationships. Maybe it's because I'm chuggin on three hours of sleep here but I've missed a few important lines of dialogue

big ander

Shit, the voiceover worked really well there to make the shots even more surprising.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Kind of saw that ending coming.
I thought they were going to get attacked earlier when he was at the tracks, so when they didn't I thought they were in the clear.

SpeedingUptoStop

Lead Based Paint said:
Me too, they let the scenes with those two linger too long right beforehand.
Didn't give that guy a big enough role. The only important thing he did came when tensions were uneasy, but the stakes hadn't been clearly communicated yet? Yea, he's gonna die, flashback or not.

Now this undercover is gonna get it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom