• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Screenshot2010-11-22at12114PM.png

Promo

Official press release from the show's site:
The city of Chicago is a paradox that serves as the setting for Shawn Ryan's new drama, THE CHICAGO CODE. In this series, the audience is the passenger, taking an unpredictable ride through the streets of Chicago and navigating crime and corruption with the most respected - and notorious - cops in the city.

JAREK WYSOCKI (Jason Clarke) is a local legend and larger-than-life veteran of the Chicago Police Department. Like the city of Chicago, Jarek is razor blades and brass knuckles wrapped in politeness and egoless charm - a man who throws away partners the way others throw away tissues. TERESA COLVIN (Jennifer Beals) arrived at the pinnacle of the Chicago Police Department in a short period of time. She's determined to implement changes before the mud that is Chicago politics clogs her office. As a result of Teresa's difficult choices, she has made some powerful enemies along the way, including two street gangs, the police officers' union and a city alderman who proves to be a dangerous adversary.

Jarek's new partner, CALEB EVERS (Matt Lauria), is a smart young detective who desperately wants to prove himself. He is savvier and more observant than most people give him credit for, and just might make the perfect yin to Jarek's yang. Also in Jarek's charge is his niece, VONDA WYSOCKI (Devin Kelley), a rookie beat cop whose father, Jarek's brother, was killed in the line of duty when she was young. Jarek keeps close tabs on her and is less than thrilled to discover she's falling for her partner, ISAAC JOINER (Todd Williams), a charismatic cop who takes unnecessary risks on the job that land him and Vonda in some dangerous situations.

ALDERMAN RONIN GIBBONS (Delroy Lindo) is a building-magnate-turned-politician who has ruled his ward with a velvet glove for three decades. Jarek and Teresa are convinced Gibbons and his cohorts - including LIAM HENNESSEY (Billy Lush), an Irish tough guy in Gibbons' construction empire - are dirty to the core, but they've never had the evidence to prove it. When a murder investigation leads them to Gibbons, they are determined to bring him to justice and clean up Chicago - if that's even possible.

THE CHICAGO CODE is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and MiddKid Productions. The series is written by Shawn Ryan, and is executive-produced by Ryan, Tim Minear and Charles McDougall. McDougall directed the pilot episode.

The show was originally called "Ride-Along" because the audience is riding along with these cops, but the name was changed. Shawn Ryan explains why:
Changing the title from Ride-Along to THE CHICAGO CODE reflects our belief that this is more than just a cop show. It’s not just about the police, but also politics, the Midwest, history, Government corruption and the city's code. Plus adding ‘Chicago’ to anything is always a good idea.

I think it sounds pretty great. Sure, I only just finished The Shield for the first time, but between that and Terriers I'm officially a Shawn Ryan fan. I'm hoping this will be the themes of The Shield brought to network television. And even if it doesn't work out, I know I'll enjoy seeing Chicago on the small screen.

Other assorted news:
Vulture has the first poster
Mo Ryan talks to some of the cast on set

Hope it's not too early for a thread, other spring show threads are starting to pop up, so I decided to go for it :D
Screenshot2010-12-03at91149PM.png

orange/blue anyone?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Hopefully Shawn Ryan shines through on this, because the promos basically make it out to be just another cop show that substitutes NY/LA for some other city (Detroit 187 is already getting canned).

Meier

I am stoked! Just moved from Chicago which makes this sort of bittersweet but Shawn Ryan is THE MAN! They filmed a few scenes of this outside my old job.. can't wait to see the old sights.

EzLink

Banned
FUCK YES! This is certainly out of nowhere

The Shield is my all time favorite show. I live near Chicago

SO a cop show set in a city I'm familiar with made by the guy who created the best cop drama in the history of mankind? Sign me the fuck up

Too bad they won't have as much leeway though with what they can show like in The Shield

Hello! I just arrived on the good ship Terriers. You've probably never heard of it, but that doesn't matter. It sunk.

I hope this show is good and does not also sink.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Judging by how generic the promos are, this will either be really successful or really not successful.

Mifune

Mehmber
Good to see Jason Clarke in something new. He was great in Brotherhood.

I think this show looks really good, but on FOX I'd say it has like zero chance of making it to a second season.

Guess I'm just bitter because of Terriers.

ivysaur12

Banned
Half of me wants this to succeed because I know it's going to be awesome.

The other part of me knows that there isn't room on the schedule for both this and Fringe, and I love my Fringe :(

Mifune

Mehmber
James Woods said:
So Brotherhood is over then? Loved that show's first season.

It's been over for a while. You should watch the rest of it. Season Two was the peak, as far as I'm concerned, but the series finale was surprisingly satisfying.

big ander

ivysaur12 said:
Half of me wants this to succeed because I know it's going to be awesome.

The other part of me knows that there isn't room on the schedule for both this and Fringe, and I love my Fringe :(
I'm always being told stuff I should know when it comes to scheduling, but with this on Mondays and Fringe on Fridays why can't they both exist? I don't want to see Fringe go :(

The series is written by Shawn Ryan, and is executive-produced by Ryan, Tim Minear and Charles McDougall.

I have to admire his tenacity. Fox keeps cancelling the shows he works on and he keeps coming back. But knowing his luck, it'll be lucky to get a second season.

being a prime-time network FOX show already handicaps Ryan compared to what he (and The Shield crew) could do on a channel like FX.

Hopefully the overall writing and characters are there, because 80% of the hardcore shit from The Shield probably won't be - if that's even what they are aiming for here. Being that it's a cop drama, I can't imagine they are looking to pull in housewives and teenagers... :lol

big ander

Chicago Code made TV Squad's list of what to look forward to in 2011 TV
5. 'The Chicago Code.' This show tops a lot of "best" lists for me: Best New Drama, Best Cast and, most impressively, Best Use of Shawn Ryan Since 'The Shield' (sorry fans of 'Terriers,' 'Lie to Me' and 'The Unit' -- but trust me). This gritty, action-packed take on cops-and-robbers stars Jason Clarke as a veteran Chicago cop, Matt Lauria as his green new partner, Jennifer Beals as the boss lady and Delroy Lindo as the local politician they're all convinced is corrupt. The backdrop of Chicago -- with its history of mob activity and gorgeous skyline -- only adds to an already compelling story. - Maggie Furlong
Better than Terriers?! I doubt it, but I can't say this didn't get me pumped up :D

Wads

Banned
Ugh... Fox. If this is any good, sure thing it will be canceled. We saw how good the last cop show did... (good guys). They'll probably move it around 15 times and lose half the people that watch in the process. Then move it to the Friday death slot to die along with Fringe.

big ander

Full trailer in HD
Assorted promos in low low quality
The cast talks briefly about Chicago's importance in the show
New cast photos:
90a81a47ff336414b8e3f35aad2739f1.jpg

9d3ec971fb372d1a3fd36780af23fd46.jpg

8979dc8518654bdc0bd5ebc71ef0d33a.jpg

573c75421fded18c843edafea062b18d.jpg

3228df446d3806545883c06bcec7b9be.jpg

df78db492aae55810ea5e8b858359d5a.jpg

980ab4af93b119577be6eccede4286c2.jpg

There have been a lot of other promos during football games, but I can't seem to find them on Youtube yet. However, they're really good. I'm getting more and more hyped for the show.
Shawn Ryan also likes to talk about it on Twitter a lot. Random tidbits: 110 is called
Cabrini Green
, the theme song is original, has a more cinematic feel than The Shield.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Screenshot2010-12-03at91149PM.png

Somehow this single image has killed any momentum I was feeling towards the show. Also...

df78db492aae55810ea5e8b858359d5a.jpg

That is an oddly good looking homeless dude.

big ander

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
big ander said:
Really? The marketing they chose to do with that slogan and idea is definitely traditional, but from brief moments of promos and advance reviews, I have high hopes that this can be a quality drama.
I'll wait for the pilot before making final judgments.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I've yet to see a physically fit officer in Chicago. However, I probably live in a low crime part of the city where just being there is enough of a deterrent. I've seen them film in my hood though. I was very confused, "Who is getting raided in this neighborhood? And why are there so many cameras?"

Cannot wait. The Shield is my favorite show ever, and even though I'm sure the grit and brutality will be incredibly toned down since it's airing on FOX, it still looks like it could be a pretty gripping drama. Also Chicago is an awesome and underused city city. I'm tired of having everything take place in New York or LA

They filmed a scene for this show on a street adjacent to the building where I work, some kind of explosion or accident or something. Kind of neat getting to watch the filming from my office window. One of my co-workers snagged a piece of styrofoam rubble left over from the set.

big ander

A ton of reviews have been coming in, and they're largely positive.
People Mag - 4 stars
The gritty urban cop ensemble is one of the most crowded and dependable genres on TV right now...The Chicago Code instantly, almost effortlessly, establishes itself as head of the squad.
Brown Girl Next Door
This show is going to be a winner. It touches on all of your emotions while you get to know the characters. I watched 3 “pilot” episodes and I was fascinated. You won’t be disappointed. I, for one can’t wait.
The Voice of TV - A+
I love what I’ve seen of The Chicago Code. It has smart writing, strong acting, plots that glue you to your seat for the full hour, and makes the best use of voice-overs I’ve seen in a long time.
Salt Lake Tribune
And that, like “The Shield,” is what looks most interesting about “The Chicago Code” — that it’s more complex than your average cop show.
Entertainment Weekly - B
That said, you can feel the strain watching The Chicago Code. Unlike Ryan's previous employer, FX, Fox doesn't allow very strong language, so the solution is to make Clarke's detective Jarek Wysocki a tough guy offended by obscenity. Everyone around him uses euphemisms such as ''jag-hole,'' which is just distracting.
Here's hoping The Chicago Code continues to get richer, deeper, and less obliged to follow the standard code of cop shows.
Futon Critic
The Futon Critic says not to use any of their words on forums and shit. They say to definitely definitely watch it, but actors accents are off. The pilot seems standard at first and then turns into a balls-to-the-wall thrilling show.

Chicago Sun-Times - 3 1/2 stars
With writing like that, Chi­cago might develop a new reputation for folksy wisdom. There’s quite a bit of narration, in fact, a device I wouldn’t miss once we learn what’s what...The action is fast, and I was pleased to find that scenes play out unpredictably...Whether the bad guys or the good guys win each round, one thing’s evident: Chicago’s got swagger.
Digital Airwaves
[Shawn Ryan's] pedigree didn’t win me over when it came to this series. Nor did the persistent advertising campaign. What turned my head was the final product: a series that is everything the best police dramas should be.
That begins with the characters: fully formed individuals that we learn about both through their own eyes, and the eyes of others. By the end of the first hour, through some effective voiceovers and their interactions with each other, we have a real sense of who these people are.

Some interviews:
Macleans.ca Interview with Ryan
Forbes: Shawn Ryan’s ‘The Chicago Code’: A Love Letter To His City

Current international air dates/channels were put on Shawn Ryan's twitter.
Canada: GlobalTV, 9/8c starting 2/7
UK: Sky, date and time TBD but most likely in May
Australia: Fox8, date/time TBD.

I thought this was funny: the show sent Lou Malnati's Deep Dish to a ton of critics.

- Tim Goodman's review for the Hollywood Reporter:
What works best about the series is that Lindo and Clarke are forces of nature; you can’t take your eyes off their characters. Code is not a game-changer in a genre that likely won’t be changed again for some time, but judging by the first three episodes it’s already gripping television and Fox has found a competitive new drama.

The Bottom Line: Shield creator Shawn Ryan's latest features two main characters you can't take your eyes off of.

- Maureen Ryan's review: 'The Chicago Code' Shows Potential on an Exciting Ride Through the Windy City
The new cop drama 'The Chicago Code' resembles its lead characters: It's focused, determined and ambitious -- and sometimes it tries to do too much. Still, the handsome 'Code' succeeds far more often than it strikes out.

- Sepinwall's interview with Jennifer Beals
On FOX's excellent new cop drama "The Chicago Code" (which premieres Monday at 9 p.m.), Jennifer Beals plays the newly-installed superintendent of the Chicago PD, Teresa Colvin. Colvin is relatively young for the job, and a woman - a woman who looks like Jennifer Beals, no less - and so she gets very little respect from certain corners of the rank-and-file, and from some of the crooked politicians she's trying to get rid of. But they underestimate this tough, smart, reform-minded woman at their own peril.

Similarly, if you're still thinking of Beals as the 19-year-old in the off-the-shoulder sweatshirt from "Flashdance" (still by far her highest-profile role), you may be surprised by just how good she is at the center of this ambitious drama, which comes from "The Shield" creator Shawn Ryan.

At press tour, I talked with Beals about her research for the role, and about her own view of the Chicago PD as a girl growing up in that city.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
hmmm I don't know how to feel about a Shawn Ryan show on FOX...

I like the freedom he has on FX that he isn't going to get on FOX, I'll watch for the writing, but the situations are going to get a wash before they are shown on television.

also Beals got insanely hot after all these years.

big ander

Screen Junkies review
By the end of the first episode, it’s on. Each week Wysocki will pick which call sounds fishy and start busting heads. Colvin’s going to play the system against itself. The big story (allegedly corrupt alderman) and the little story (weekly case) are both exciting so we’re in good shape.

So happy to see the positive reviews. My main concern is that I'll get glued to the story only to see the show cancelled after the first or second season. Here's to hoping it pulls in respectable ratings

madara said:
Rats, not FX?
This is the shittiest part of it all. I have a suspicion that a lot of the show will feel like The Shield lite. Just imagine The Shield having been a program on Fox... almost every memorable moment would have been so watered down and censored that it would have ceased to be noteworthy.

We'll see though. I am at least thankful Ryan is back to doing more cop drama, that seems to be where he excels most

big ander

Mr. Paer said:
This is the shittiest part of it all. I have a suspicion that a lot of the show will feel like The Shield lite. Just imagine The Shield having been a program on Fox... almost every memorable moment would have been so watered down and censored that it would have ceased to be noteworthy.
I was worried about this too, but the reviews seem to be saying that it's a lot different from The Shield so it can get away with not using profanity. It's less gritty and more cinematic and grand.

- Dan Fienberg's review over at Hitfix:
"The Chicago Code" is like the network equivalent of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire." It's exactly what it seems to be, a traditional genre show done right. It's the kind of cop show that I like and I don't care for cop shows, insofar as everything works: It's got muscular dialogue, characters to cheer for and root against, a vividly realized setting and a story I want to see play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom