• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

firehawk12 said:
If you like the Alderman stuff, you should watch all the Clay Davis stuff from The Wire. He's genius at just fucking over anyone and everyone, and it's a little less silly than having a man who shoots gangsters.
Do you mean the kid in the barber shop? Because he didn't kill the one at the end. He just made it happen. Probably payed off some Irish people to do it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
big ander said:
Do you mean the kid in the barber shop? Because he didn't kill the one at the end. He just made it happen. Probably payed off some Irish people to do it.
Well, of course. But the fact that he'd even bother seems silly... I mean, Clay Davis was ripping off gangsters with impunity. :lol

Stephen Colbert said:
I already see potential for it to someday displace The Shield as my favorite show of all time
Do I need to sick Mackey on you son? As great as this show is, four episodes in it still isn't anywhere close to what The Shield was after its first four. The Chicago Code is great for a cop drama on Fox, but it has an enormous amount of potential that is already totally thrown out by the fact that it isn't on a network like FX. And while Jarek is really fucking cool, he is nothing compared to the collective badassery of the strike team. I think the newness factor is getting to you, because there is no possible way anyone can think The Chicago Code could even have the potential to surpass The Shield.

Then again, The Shield practically changed my life, so I have an incredible bias towards it

Back on topic... this show keeps getting better and better. Jarek is a total badass, and Gibbons is a really fucking great villain. I don't even want to think about ratings because it depresses me to no end to think about how the public eats up bullshit like Jersey Shore but neglects genuinely great television like this show. At the very least we will hopefully get a full season

DevelopmentArrested said:
Best part of the entire show so far:

Lindo and the kid are playing the fucking "Shield" videogame!!!!
Hahaha holy shit, that is awesome. Had no clue what they were playing

I've been catching up on this and i'm really enjoying. It has captured that same fast-paced energy of The Shield and i suspect it will only get better as the show continues. Some of the narration and music choices have been questionable, but not enough to really bother me.

For some reason I think Jennifer Beals sounds so silly in this. But she's hot. And it clashes with the retarded voice.

Retarded-hot.

The show definitely has potential, and I think they already realized how bad the young cop actors were, now they get like less than a minute of screen time haha.

New episode tonight.
O'Leary's Cow

After a teenage boy is brutally murdered while spreading the word of his church in Chinatown, Detectives Wysocki and Evers enlist Superintendent Colvin to gain the cooperation of locals. When the unofficial mayor of Chinatown is uncooperative, Alderman Gibbons is called upon to broker a deal that accelerates the investigation. Meanwhile, Teresa's brother-in-law rolls the dice with a shady business deal, and Liam goes even deeper undercover.

Meier

Discotheque said:
For some reason I think Jennifer Beals sounds so silly in this. But she's hot. And it clashes with the retarded voice.
As someone who lived there for a few years, her accent is actually pretty authentic of a true Chicagoan IMO.

My understanding is that tonight's episode was originally going to be the 3rd one but he shook it up since what became 3 and 4 had more action. I'll be curious to see if it "feels" out of order.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, the rule that all cop shows have to have a Chinatown episode is still fulfilled.

At least it didn't involve Chinese prostitutes or ghost brides or whatever, but it was still silly. It almost makes me wonder if all American Chinatowns are run like snakehead organizations though. :lol

firehawk12 said:
So, the rule that all cop shows have to have a Chinatown episode is still fulfilled.

At least it didn't involve Chinese prostitutes or ghost brides or whatever, but it was still silly. It almost makes me wonder if all American Chinatowns are run like snakehead organizations though. :lol

Yeah, I wasn't feeling a lot of this episode. The Beals subplot was so over the top and the Liam storyline was just as bad.

The only characters I'm really interested in are Wysocki, Evers and Alderman Gibbons. I just don't give a fuck about any of the rest of them.

big ander

From my experience in Chicago's Chinatown, it's actually a metric shitton more sketchy than in that episode. So I believed the story.

It was a fairly standalone episode other than Liam's stuff. And hist plot was actually good. Not excellent, but good enough.
The Teresa plot was good too, if only to see Rockmond Dunbar. Oh, and Francios Chau was a good role too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the Beals storyline gave her a chance to have her lips quiver and work on her Emmy moment. So bad!

Maybe it's because they keep jumping from unrelated case to unrelated case that they seem to be losing focus. At least it's not wacky bombings, but a Chinatown episode is just as silly.

And now I want to visit Chicago's Chinatown, if it really is that sketchy. :p

Wads

Banned
captive said:
I like this show, therefore its so canceled.

Same, I'm actually going to stop watching now since my stat really doesn't matter or count. I'll catch back up if there is some miracle and Fox spares it... so tired of getting invested and then burnt by Fox.

big ander

Wads said:
Same, I'm actually going to stop watching now since my stat really doesn't matter or count. I'll catch back up if there is some miracle and Fox spares it... so tired of getting invested and then burnt by Fox.
Don't understand this mentality. Even if it does get canceled, you then have the choice between 5 episodes or 13 episodes. I wouldn't think watching less while still watching it would lessen the hurt of it being canceled.

Wads

Banned
Why waste my time on something that won't have a satisfying conclusion? I absolutely hate unfinished stories.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to imagine it'll end like Terriers.

They're pushing it so that the Beals character will have to "dirty" herself, so presumably the show will end with her doing that and working with/for the Alderman.

big ander

A lot of shows can pull off an unplanned ending fairly well. Party Down's finale worked well as a season finale and a series finale. Same for Terriers. I just don't feel like it's worth giving up on a narrative just because you don't want to risk not getting complete closure. That doesn't always happen with stories anyway.

Wads

Banned
big ander said:
A lot of shows can pull off an unplanned ending fairly well. Party Down's finale worked well as a season finale and a series finale. Same for Terriers. I just don't feel like it's worth giving up on a narrative just because you don't want to risk not getting complete closure. That doesn't always happen with stories anyway.

I understand, but it doesn't mean it will, and there are so many things to invest time in already so I'll just spend this time elsewhere until I know the shows fate.

I liked the last ep a lot. Directed by Clark Johnson who is the fucking man. The CI thing was great, kinda surprised Jarek wasnt more pissed about him killing someone. Also loved seeing Rockmund Dunbar again.

Discotheque said:

Retarded-hot.

The show definitely has potential, and I think they already realized how bad the young cop actors were, now they get like less than a minute of screen time haha.
My entire family is from Chicago, and her accent drives my parents crazy. Personally, I don't notice anything, but I'm the only one who didn't grow up in Chicago.

Iceman

Im currently in love with this show. The alderman is like palpatine evil at this point. And i love the little bits of chicago history thrown in. I was expecting that the nurse was actuaaly wysockis fiance.. The one he mentioned way back in the pilot, btw - it almost seems like theyve dropped the whole ex-wife and fiance parts of his life.

I heard somewhere all 13 episodes have already been shot so it won't get pulled unless the ratings are bad they would do better with reruns of something else.

big ander

Iceman said:
Im currently in love with this show. The alderman is like palpatine evil at this point. And i love the little bits of chicago history thrown in. I was expecting that the nurse was actuaaly wysockis fiance.. The one he mentioned way back in the pilot, btw - it almost seems like theyve dropped the whole ex-wife and fiance parts of his life.
Hope no one freaks out that this isn't is tags, but Shawn Ryan has confirmed a couple times that they'll come up eventually.
animlboogy said:
Is there actually talk of this show not making it, or are you guys just being paranoid due to the incredible quality of some recent cancellations (R.I.P., Terriers, my favorite new show)?
Nah, it's not just paranoia after cancellations of shows like Terriers and Lone Star. It legitimately has bubble ratings.
faceless007 said:
I heard somewhere all 13 episodes have already been shot so it won't get pulled unless the ratings are bad they would do better with reruns of something else.
Oh yeah I'm not worried about it being pulled. I'm talking season 2.

dorkimoe

Wads said:
Why waste my time on something that won't have a satisfying conclusion? I absolutely hate unfinished stories.

Get used to it. They seem to cancel everything except reality shows now. Even if the ratings are decent

big ander

dorkimoe said:
Get used to it. They seem to cancel everything except reality shows now. Even if the ratings are decent
That's unrealistically negative. Shows with decent ratings get renewed plenty. 30 Rock has never had monstrous ratings but it's on its 5th season. Community and Parks look like they'll get renewed this year even with mediocre ratings. I'm pretty sure Lie To Me survived on only okay ratings for a while.

I loved last weeks episode. Alderman is so badass, and incredibly well acted. Jarek, likewise, is also super badass and well acted. I really am starting to like Caleb too

big ander said:
That's unrealistically negative. Shows with decent ratings get renewed plenty. 30 Rock has never had monstrous ratings but it's on its 5th season. Community and Parks look like they'll get renewed this year even with mediocre ratings. I'm pretty sure Lie To Me survived on only okay ratings for a while.

They're all cheap sitcoms except for Lie to Me but even that isnt some expensive shot on location show.

big ander

sooperkool said:
They're all cheap sitcoms except for Lie to Me but even that isnt some expensive shot on location show.
Okay, true enough. Bigger budget shows do face more risk of being canceled when they have mediocre ratings. But shows with middling ratings can still be renewed.

big ander

Tonight was great. The main plot was plenty exciting. Vonda was actually not annoying. Not having Gibbons sort of sucked though.

I realized tonight that Matt Lauria is doing the best Chicago accent. To me, at least. It's there and you can hear it if you listen, but it's not overdone.

New episode tonight:
Black Hand and the Shotgun Man

FBI Division Chief Cuyler (Adam Arkin) interferes with Wysocki and Evers' investigation of an international drug dealer; Liam feels vulnerable while visiting grieving families.

big ander

Tonight was excellent. A strong theme of family running throughout. the entire police force felt like a cohesive unit (Issac and Vonda slowing down the FBI guy was great). The Gibbons/Liam scenes fleshed out both characters and were well-written and showed Lush can actually act. The Jarek plot was the backstory we've been waiting for. And even this weeks case was exciting and touching. Just a really wonderful episode. I think it's only going to get better from here.
Edit: and Elena is HOT. Also loved the chemistry between Dina and Jarek. Damn, a lot of good here.
Edit 2: Jeeze, can't stop thinking about this one. I think this is 'the' episode of this show for me, where all the little things have come together to really make me love the show and characters. Moments like Caleb and energy drinks or Liam psyching himself up to hit the wall or Gibbons talking about Lincoln: they're showing me that I've become attached to the characters and narrative. Loving it.

Notice to the 6 or so people on Gaf watching: repeats for two weeks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Decent episode, but that cop playing the insider just has the wrong voice for the role. He ends up sounding like a whiny teen. :lol

And it's funny, Jarek's collapsing personal life reminds me of what happened to our good friend McNulty. Tough being a detective!

big ander

xxracerxx said:
Good episode....hope it gets picked up for a full season.
Huh? TV shows have "full" seasons of 13 episodes all the time. The question is whether it'll get a season 2 or not.

firehawk12 said:
Decent episode, but that cop playing the insider just has the wrong voice for the role. He ends up sounding like a whiny teen. :lol
I've thought that before, but he had some very strong-sounding moments last night, especially in the car and under the bridge with Teresa.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
big ander said:
Huh? TV shows have "full" seasons of 13 episodes all the time. The question is whether it'll get a season 2 or not.
Full season as in a full season of 22 - 26 episodes with it being on one of the larger networks and not on FX or the like.

big ander

xxracerxx said:
Full season as in a full season of 22 - 26 episodes with it being on one of the larger networks and not on FX or the like.
I'd rather have a tighter 13 episode season. Even with this many episodes we've had plenty of standalone cop stories that are separated from the central Alderman story. Expanding it has a huge risk of making it drag.

Zoe

Hey You said:
I'm really enjoying this show. So its only 13 episodes this season?

They're not gonna add more to this season unless they want it to run over the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom