• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

I didn't really like the whole sideplot with the cops getting sued, but otherwise I liked it. So you guys think this will be back for another season? I really like it.

TripOpt55 said:
I didn't really like the whole sideplot with the cops getting sued, but otherwise I liked it. So you guys think this will be back for another season? I really like it.

No one really knows if it will be back or not yet. It's a really borderline case.

Plus, there was no actual rise in ratings for this week's episode. It fell to its usual 1.8 in the final numbers.

Gamer98

Banned
TripOpt55 said:

Shit I hope it comes back but its Fox were talking about here.

Meier

Finally seeing the episode from last week. It's definitely one of the best shows on TV and needs to be renewed.

Meier said:
Finally seeing the episode from last week. It's definitely one of the best shows on TV and needs to be renewed.

One of the best shows on TV?

The show is decent, and I wouldn't mind if it got renewed, but praise like that is really odd to me. It's probably the second worst show I'm watching week-to-week.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:

The show is decent, and I wouldn't mind if it got renewed, but praise like that is really odd to me. It's probably the second worst show I'm watching week-to-week.

Because your taste in television is odd, at best ;)

It's a good show, but it hasn't broken into the upper echelons of Ryan's other work. This past week's episode was probably my favorite of the series, so far at least. There are still some problems with the series as a whole.

Out of curiosity, what are you watching week-to-week?

Meier

dead souls said:

Easily one of the best. It helps a lot if you're familiar with the city I'm sure, but it's gotten better every week. There isn't another police show on TV right now that is even in the same realm of quality and that's an important genre.

ivysaur12 said:
Because your taste in television is odd, at best ;)

It's a good show, but it hasn't broken into the upper echelons of Ryan's other work. This past week's episode was probably my favorite of the series, so far at least. There are still some problems with the series as a whole.

Out of curiosity, what are you watching week-to-week?

That's my opinion as well. I'm not saying the show is bad, and it does seem to be improving somewhat, but it sure isn't anywhere near great yet.

Right now I'm watching the following: Game of Thrones, The Borgias, Treme (can't wait for tonight), The Killing, United States of Tara, Chicago Code, Glee, Parenthood, Justified, Bones, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Doctor Who, Colbert and Bill Maher.

I'd rank Chicago Code towards the bottom of that list of shows, but it's not like I hate it or anything. The only show on my list that pains me to watch is The Office.

big ander

Meier said:
Easily one of the best. It helps a lot if you're familiar with the city I'm sure, but it's gotten better every week. There isn't another police show on TV right now that is even in the same realm of quality and that's an important genre.
Southland is better than this.

firehawk12 said:
We're making impossible comparisons, but there's no way Glee belongs on the same list as Chicago Code.
Seriously. Show turned to such utter shit.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Meier said:
Except of course Southland, which is far superior on almost every level.

But since that's buried on TNT, yes, we'll let Chicago Code count for best TV Cop Show :)

edit: didnt' see someone else mention Southland until after I posted. I'm happy there are other people watching it!

big ander

firehawk12 said:
Sadly, I checked out on the first season after it turned out that one of the cops was a drug addict. It just seemed so silly for some reason.
>_>
Really?
From what I know about cops, them having some sort of addiction is not at all uncommon. And considering they're prescription pills given to him by doctors, it's not like there was some twist that he was a dirty cop who cooks meth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
big ander said:
>_>
Really?
From what I know about cops, them having some sort of addiction is not at all uncommon. And considering they're prescription pills given to him by doctors, it's not like there was some twist that he was a dirty cop who cooks meth.
Honestly, I thought they were going to go there so I decided to check out. Maybe I'll check it out again, but at the time, I had my fill of flawed cops with The Shield.

big ander

firehawk12 said:
Honestly, I thought they were going to go there so I decided to check out. Maybe I'll check it out again, but at the time, I had my fill of flawed cops with The Shield.
This is a totally different thing though. The cops in Shield were completely selfish. They were dirty to protect themselves. John Cooper just takes pain pills so he can stay on as a police officer helping people.

big ander said:
Seriously. Show turned to such utter shit.

The reason I like Glee better than Chicago Code is simple: Glee is often a mess, but it's rarely boring. The Chicago Code is a fairly boring by-the-numbers show that doesn't measure up to the best of its genre. Hell, the first season of NYPD Blue blows Chicago Code away and it aired in the '93/'94 season.

I really wonder if people aren't overrating CC due to the involvement of Shawn Ryan. I'm not sure that I would have started watching the show without his involvement.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The show has taken on too much procedural stuff. I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt before I realized there's just 13 episodes this Season. Now I'm just wondering why the story arc couldn't have been tighter.

firehawk12 said:
Sadly, I checked out on the first season after it turned out that one of the cops was a drug addict. It just seemed so silly for some reason.

Big mistake. Southland is WAY better than The Chicago Code, and that's coming from someone who enjoys this show.

big ander

dead souls said:
The reason I like Glee better than Chicago Code is simple: Glee is often a mess, but it's rarely boring. The Chicago Code is a fairly boring by-the-numbers show that doesn't measure up to the best of its genre. Hell, the first season of NYPD Blue blows Chicago Code away and it aired in the '93/'94 season.

I really wonder if people aren't overrating CC due to the involvement of Shawn Ryan. I'm not sure that I would have started watching the show without his involvement.
See, I find Glee always a mess and always boring. In my head, there are two shows: the first half of season 1 and everything after. After that it became less grounded, threw away all attempts to have consistent characters, and became a marketing vehicle all the way. There are hundreds of videos of trainwrecks, literal and figurative, that I can watch online. I'd rather do that than contribute to the success of that awful excuse for entertainment.

Uhhh this can replace our normal amount of discussion because there's no new episode tonight :/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
My only issue with the last episode was that the murder took place in Lincoln Park.

But the bar they showed is in the Loop I think. And Lincoln Park is hardly gang turf.

But I suppose they can't show them going to the same neighborhoods over and over again for murders.

And dang, Delroy Lindo's ward is humungous.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:

It's exactly Shawn Ryan's involvement. It's not a bad show at all, it's just fairly procedural. Part of that could be Fox, but I think it's also Ryan's desire to make a show for a wider audience. There are better cop shows on television, though (Southland).

And I don't know how you stomach Glee week-after-week.

big ander

ChiTownBuffalo said:
My only issue with the last episode was that the murder took place in Lincoln Park.

But the bar they showed is in the Loop I think. And Lincoln Park is hardly gang turf.

But I suppose they can't show them going to the same neighborhoods over and over again for murders.

And dang, Delroy Lindo's ward is humungous.
Ryan tweeted about this. Said he shoots where he can. It's impossible to get 100% verisimilitude.

New episode tonight.
Bathhouse & Hinky Dink

Colvin and Wysocki continue to find evidence against Alderman Gibbons, but the investigation is unexpectedly set back when a deadlocked jury acquits a corrupt city official. Investigating, the two of them find that may not be the only suspicious activity going on.

big ander

I'll get it out of the way: the Issac/Vonda stuff is still so impossibly boring except for Dev Kelley being quite hot.

But the rest of that episode: fantastic. The undercover scene was full of tension and did a lot towards making Liam's character more believable. Getting more of Jarek's backstory was nice. Seeing Gibbons scared was both rewarding and frightening, a strange combination thanks to his unique character. Some great shots. And with Teresa and Jarek's case really moving forward, I can't help but think the last 3 episodes are going to use this momentum for something truly great.

Yeah, good episode tonight. Liam's been working a lot better as a character recently, plus everyone else delivered as usual.

big ander

dead souls said:
Decent episode last night.

Ratings fell to a 1.6, which doesn't bode well for a second season. Link
Shiiit. I guess we can hope for a bounce up for the last three. Although...hmm. I always make bad calls with this, but it's in third place in a competitive slot, right? I'm sure Fox doesn't want them striving for middle of the pack, but if they get a toehold in, maybe they can grow with more episodes. I dunno, I just want the show back.

guest1321

I started watching this last week. I enjoy the plot but I am not a huge fan of the tidbits of character insight. While it builds the characters I think it is distracting and gives the show a fake feel.

big ander

guest1321 said:
I started watching this last week. I enjoy the plot but I am not a huge fan of the tidbits of character insight. While it builds the characters I think it is distracting and gives the show a fake feel.
Hmm.
This might be the strangest comment I've seen in a TV thread this year.
Could you maybe explain exactly what you're getting at?

ivysaur12

Banned
Beyond the Vonda/Isaac stuff, the best episode of the series. Definitely a game changer in a lot of ways, it's just too bad it'll probably get canceled.

TripOpt55

I really liked this episode. Didn't care for the Isaac/Vonda stuff, but otherwise that was a great episode. I hope this show can stick around.

ivysaur12

Banned
Currently battling it out behind closed doors for a spot it might not even get. Even if it's Friday at 8, I think the show deserves a chance over Lie to Me...

LET'S GOOOOOOO!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Since The Shield, Shawn Ryan just cannot get a break. Terriers was fantastic and got canceled. This is fantastic and might get canceled. THROW THE MAN A FUCKING BONE

ivysaur12

Banned
thetrin said:
Since The Shield, Shawn Ryan just cannot get a break. Terriers was fantastic and got canceled. This is fantastic and might get canceled. THROW THE MAN A FUCKING BONE

I agree with Deadsouls that it's good-not-great, but I think it has the most potential out of all bubble shows on Fox.

We'll probably know tonight. Thinks are moving very fast on this side... I'm hearing different things every minute.

Whaaa!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Why can't we have it AND Lie to me D:

I think I like Tim Roth too much to not want Lie to Me to take its spot though. Him and the actress who plays his daughter.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is the most confident I've felt about The Chicago Code's renewal since the series' inception. Please don't disappoint me.

Also, I'm out with my friends and I'm at the corner of the bar blogging and calling LA peeps. Yup, I'm lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom