• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chicago Code-Season 1-Creator Shawn Ryan (Shield)-Fox Mondays 9/8c-Starts Feb 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothars

Full Metal Jacket said:
Fox stays cancelling shows, who the fuck wants to have their show on that network now anyway?

I don't think anyone does, Fox is such a bad network, I do like some of the shows on it but I hate how they seem to cancel great shows as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Lothars said:
I don't think anyone does, Fox is such a bad network, I do like some of the shows on it but I hate how they seem to cancel great shows as well.

The network saved Dollhouse, Fringe, and saved Arrested Development for longer than it should have lasted. You might not like it (I don't), but they made the right moves for them.

Lothars

ivysaur12 said:
The network saved Dollhouse, Fringe, and saved Arrested Development for longer than it should have lasted. You might not like it (I don't), but they made the right moves for them.

It has alot more shows that it canceled before it should have than one's they kept around like I said I like some of the shows on Fox such as Bones, Fringe and the Simpsons but they are still a bad network.

ivysaur12

Banned
Lothars said:
It has alot more shows that it canceled before it should have than one's they kept around like I said I like some of the shows on Fox such as Bones, Fringe and the Simpsons but they are still a bad network.

They canceled those shows because they were on a downward trend and were never coming back up, even with "retooling." That doesn't make them a bad network - they're a business. My favorite shows get canceled all the time, but there's a reason why: they're not doing well.

big ander

Lothars said:
Read the Sepinwall article. They aren't the malicious network people make them out to be. They're a flailing network, with just as many bad and good decisions as the others.

Yeah, can't really blame Fox for this one. The show was uneven and simply didn't perform. It's a business. They've brought us TONS more interesting content than any other broadcast network and really do deserve a break from time to time. Does anybody really believe that Arrested Development would've gotten 3 seasons anywhere else (non-cable)?

metsallica said:
Yeah, can't really blame Fox for this one. The show was uneven and simply didn't perform. It's a business. They've brought us TONS more interesting content than any other broadcast network and really do deserve a break from time to time. Does anybody really believe that Arrested Development would've gotten 3 seasons anywhere else (non-cable)?

Agreed. Fox seems worse than other networks in this respect because they take more risks. On that spectrum, they certainly deserve some kudos.

Tokubetsu

Spire said:
Yeah. :(

The way this season has gone, we'll probably lose The Killing as well.

I've been kinda cold to The Killing because I don't think it's as good as it could have been. I'm still hurting over Rubicon and Terriers though ='(

New episode tonight.
Greylord and Gambat

Teresa, Jarek and Caleb search for a witness in the case against Alderman Gibbons; Liam is forced to take matters into his own hands.
Two more to go, including tonight's installment.

Squalltdx

Great and tense episode. Loved it. I was just glued to the screen. Feels so bad now seeing the potential of this show when things get moving. One thing that really hurt though was that they kept saying season finale :( That final scene with Gibbons and Wysocki was good stuff. As for the preview, makes me wonder what direction they're going to take with this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ryan said on that podcast linked earlier that he should have went all in with the serialization and he was right. I can't wait to see how this ends and surely if the show was more about working the case and less about cops of the week stuff, then it might have been a stronger show. Oh well.

Man, this episode was awesome. Gonna miss this one, Jason Clarke was a boss.

And for some reason the transition to the intro theme felt more badass than ever this ep. Oh well...one more to go :(

Yup, very good episode this week. I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time.

The podcast above is well worth listening to if you're interested in tv and have some time. Shawn Ryan has a ton of interesting things to say. Oh, he also said that it isn't a done deal, but he's optimistic about getting the Terriers dvd's out sometime this year.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone remember a show named UC: Undercover? Was back in 2001, got canceled after one season as well. It reminds me quite a bit of The Chicago Code for whatever reason, and I enjoyed them both :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought that was a damn fine episode. Excited for next week, hoping it resolves enough that the season feels like a nice little story in and of itself.

Cornballer said:
The podcast above is well worth listening to if you're interested in tv and have some time. Shawn Ryan has a ton of interesting things to say. Oh, he also said that it isn't a done deal, but he's optimistic about getting the Terriers dvd's out sometime this year.
So it might take another 6 months to get Terriers released? And that's just the optimistic guess? This world is absurd. And of course we're probably not even going to get Blu-rays either.

Spire said:
The way this season has gone, we'll probably lose The Killing as well.
Word is good on a renewal for The Killing. Apparently AMC has opted not to go forward with a bunch of pilots because it feels fully loaded with shows at the moment (including the upcoming Hell on Wheels).

Cornballer said:
Yup, very good episode this week. I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time.

FINALLY some good news! No blu, though...

Iceman

Great, great episode. Gibbons backed into a corner.. that's a dangerous, dangerous man. Even I was curious to find out what Gibbons knew (or was supposed to know - was he making that up?) about Jarek's brother's death. If he had been sitting on that information for that long.. or if he was somehow involved.. ooh. I was ready to take a swing at him (and hit my tv).

I honestly love the whole vibe from every episode thus far.. like I can just sit and relax comfortably in it. It reminds me of the Shield a lot in that way. It's as if Ryan has come up with this formula for creating an atmospheric mix of heroism and devilry at just the right balance.

That said, I do think that every episode had to be this intense out of the gates in order to win the crowd.

Iceman said:
That said, I do think that every episode had to be this intense out of the gates in order to win the crowd.

Yep. The tv industry is brutal, and broadcast networks are the most brutal of all. Shawn Ryan should know that, so I'm not sure why CC meandered for so many weeks.

Not to derail this topic or anything, but I figured this would be a great place to ask as this isn't thread-worthy in the least:

I haven't seen the Shield.

I know, I know. I want to! After flipping for Terriers, enjoying his work on Lie to Me, and digging The Chicago Code, I'm ready to try something that lasted for more than one season.

So, my point. I've been monitoring Amazon's "The Shield: Complete Series" page since Terriers ended a few months ago via CamelCamelCamel. If you click that link, you'll notice the complete series box was $91.99 in early Feb, which wasn't only an amazing price, it was also the last time the set has been available through Amazon. Amazon has been fulfilling orders through third party sellers ever since, and the price has generally hovered around $130.

Since Amazon hasn't restocked, this has led me to think they're going to do a new, cheaper run of the complete series in more manageable packaging. Is this reasonable? Has anyone heard anything to that effect? Or does anyone have a link to a reputable site where I can purchase the set for $90-100?

Ideally I'd like to wait for Blu-Ray but I'm aware of Ryan's tweet saying DVD is the best the show will / can look, so it seems pointless. That said, I'd even take an upscale, but if that's a pipe-dream I'm definitely down for a reasonably priced DVD set!

Appreciate any leads / insight that doesn't point me to Netflix!

metsallica said:
Not to derail this topic or anything, but I figured this would be a great place to ask as this isn't thread-worthy in the least:

I haven't seen the Shield.

I know, I know. I want to! After flipping for Terriers, enjoying his work on Lie to Me, and digging The Chicago Code, I'm ready to try something that lasted for more than one season.

So, my point. I've been monitoring Amazon's "The Shield: Complete Series" page since Terriers ended a few months ago via CamelCamelCamel. If you click that link, you'll notice the complete series box was $91.99 in early Feb, which wasn't only an amazing price, it was also the last time the set has been available through Amazon. Amazon has been fulfilling orders through third party sellers ever since, and the price has generally hovered around $130.

Since Amazon hasn't restocked, this has led me to think they're going to do a new, cheaper run of the complete series in more manageable packaging. Is this reasonable? Has anyone heard anything to that effect? Or does anyone have a link to a reputable site where I can purchase the set for $90-100?

Ideally I'd like to wait for Blu-Ray but I'm aware of Ryan's tweet saying DVD is the best the show will / can look, so it seems pointless. That said, I'd even take an upscale, but if that's a pipe-dream I'm definitely down for a reasonably priced DVD set!

Appreciate any leads / insight that doesn't point me to Netflix!

I really don't think there is any evidence to support them rereleasing the series for a cheaper price. I guess it's possible but there is nothing but flimsy speculation to support it.

That being said, The Shield is worth twice the asking price, easily. If you are enjoying The Chicago Code then you will probably be blown away by The Shield. Even the first season completely destroys anything TCC has offered so far (even though I'm thoroughly enjoying the one season we're getting :/)

Bottom line is that The Shield is one of the best things to ever happen to television and you shouldn't put off watching it because of potentially being able to save thirty bucks in several months/years

Also once you do get it... holy FUCK prepare for some madness. If only I could watch the series again for the first time

Fuck, I finally caught up with everything. The most recent episode was absolutely fantastic, everything was so tense and dramatic.

One more episode, sigh :/

Any chance at all this could get picked up by a different network? I think the guy that made one of the best television series ever should get a lifetime pass from constantly getting screwed out of his other great projects

Hey You

Mr. Paer said:
Any chance at all this could get picked up by a different network? I think the guy that made one of the best television series ever should get a lifetime pass from constantly getting screwed out of his other great projects
Oh my god that would be awesome.

big ander

Mr. Paer said:
Fuck, I finally caught up with everything. The most recent episode was absolutely fantastic, everything was so tense and dramatic.

One more episode, sigh :/

Ryan's had some meetings. It could still technically happen. Don't count on it though.

Finale tonight!
Mike Royko's Revenge

Special Agent Cuyler (Adam Arkin) comes to see Superintendent Colvin; Jarek tries to address his family issues; the case against Chicago's kingpin of corruption comes to an end.

Squalltdx

Sad to see the show end. Even though I enjoyed this last episode it felt like it needed another hour. Everything just seemed to go down way to fast and neatly at the end. Sadly they didn't get a chance to fully do this how they originally intended. Would be pretty cool one day to read how things would have went down if they had more time with the show.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I have no idea what happened in that last scene with Theresa. D:

Is she like, undercover? Or is it a flashforward with her having quit her job to live a normal life and just back in Chicago and boning random men in hotels?

Great ending except for that weird scene.

robochimp

Tathanen said:
I have no idea what happened in that last scene with Theresa. D:

Is she like, undercover? Or is it a flashforward with her having quit her job to live a normal life and just back in Chicago and boning random men in hotels?

Great ending except for that weird scene.

She's anonymously picking up convention dudes that will only be in town for a few days

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
robochimp said:
She's anonymously picking up convention dudes that will only be in town for a few days
I was thinking: Damn it, I wish I was still doing conventions

;D

The job is her life, but that doesn't prevent her from being someone else for a little strange!

Thing I'm gonna miss most about this show is that bangin' theme song.

big ander

Fairly great finale. I like how everything came together and I would have loved to see where season 2 went. I was surprised at how neatly it wrapped up, it even made it seem like an intentional mini-series. :/
Jarek remained an awesome character throughout. He's like the inverse Vic Mackey: he sometimes errs, but he is normally bound by honor and justice. It made his brother's reveal that much better. Teresa's hyper-obsession seemed tacked on, really. Caleb was great. Gibbons was a wonderful villain.
Last shot should have been Jarek, not Gibbons.
Overall: it was a slightly above average crime drama. Very cinematic with cool action, great to bad characterization, okay plotting. I enjoyed it and wish it would continue just to see where it'd go, but I'm not too hurt by the cancelation.

Who knows what the song at the end was? Enjoyed it.

big ander said:
Fairly great finale. I like how everything came together and I would have loved to see where season 2 went. I was surprised at how neatly it wrapped up, it even made it seem like an intentional mini-series. :/
Jarek remained an awesome character throughout. He's like the inverse Vic Mackey: he sometimes errs, but he is normally bound by honor and justice. It made his brother's reveal that much better. Teresa's hyper-obsession seemed tacked on, really. Caleb was great. Gibbons was a wonderful villain.
Last shot should have been Jarek, not Gibbons.
Overall: it was a slightly above average crime drama. Very cinematic with cool action, great to bad characterization, okay plotting. I enjoyed it and wish it would continue just to see where it'd go, but I'm not too hurt by the cancelation.

Who knows what the song at the end was? Enjoyed it.
Both Shazam and Midomi came up empty. Created for the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom