• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shit I want is:

Best Film:
Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Actor:
Michael Keaton for Birdman (though voldemort winning wouldn't make me cry)

Best Supporting Actor:
JK Simmons in Whiplash

Best Director:
Wes Anderson for Grand Budapest Hotel

Best It Took 12 Years:
Boyhood

Helmholtz

Should be an interesting show at the very least. A lot of the categories seem pretty competitive this year, with potential for maybe a couple upsets.
I really want Budapest to win Picture, but the odds for that seem pretty low. I'm cool with Boyhood/Birdman though I guess.

MANGOD

Banned
J K Simmons for supporting is the only interest I have. Would be nice for Zimmer to get something for Interstellar, Nolan not even getting a nod just sums up my thoughts on the academy

I guess I need to watch Budapest hotel again. Didn't make it far because of the obnoxious changes in aspect ratio, whatever logic behind there is.

Road

The Academy can't award former rom-com actors the Best Actor awards two years in a row, right? Oh god.

I see Meryl Streep, did Cate Blanchett have any worthy films?

Not really, but Cate Blanchett was in "Monuments Man" and I think she did a better job there than Streep, considering both were working with very weak material.

Streep really is just the "I can't remember anyone" vote. Personally, from the nominated movies I've seen, the aunt in "Ida" should win actress in a supporting role.

J K Simmons for supporting is the only interest I have. Would be nice for Zimmer to get something for Interstellar, Nolan not even getting a nod just sums up my thoughts on the academy

You tell me. Interstellar has like 50 years worth of time passage, Boyhood only has 12.

Boyhood is straight trash so I expect it to win everything.

It feels like the tide has turned slightly away from Boyhood (i.e. People have come to their senses and realized they've been had), so hopefully it goes home empty handed (with a possible exception for Patricia Arquette).

MIMIC

Banned

"A boring, lifeless character that we all end up hating at the end."

LOL what? People didn't like Mason? Yes, he turned into a damn hipster and got all unnecessarily philosophical and emo talking about life and everything but.....

lol, OK. I guess it is kinda easy to hate him. I didn't though. He was just a kid. He never fucked anyone over, he was loyal to his mom and sister, so he was OK in my book; he was a good person.

Anyway, I watched it yesterday and was thinking, "Wait a minute....the older Mason and Samantha look identical to the younger version. But no way are they they same person."

So....this movie WAS shot over the course of 12 years? That's pretty cool. (I didn't read any reviews or see any promos about this movie, so I was unaware of this aspect of the film)

"And don't forget, Mike. It's really long, too."

LOL, yeah it is.

Ozone

I am going to actually be upset if The Dam Keeper doesn't win Best Animated Short Film. It's such a beautiful and touching film.

Blader

Will this ever die. You're not even the first person to post it in this thread. Every single movie-related thread in the last one-two weeks had been spammed by "TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE". So edgy.

For some reason every time the dweebs at RLM express a thought, everyone on the internet has to mimic it ad nauseam.

Yeah I saw this earlier but it's limited to like six cities.

Anyway, I watched it yesterday and was thinking, "Wait a minute....the older Mason and Samantha look identical to the younger version. But no way are they they same person."

So....this movie WAS shot over the course of 12 years? That's pretty cool. (I didn't read any reviews or see any promos about this movie, so I was unaware of this aspect of the film)

lol, I don't know how you would come across the film without knowing that. But yeah, they shot with same people for a few days a year, over 12 years.

Choomp

Banned
Hah, I forgot he was even nominated. I think the academy did too.

Ha. I think he's got the smallest chance to win out of all those nominees. That's a pretty strong category, I'd be fine if any of those guys won. Supporting actress however...

Matush

Well this is the first time I watched every movie on the list, by far I liked Whiplash the most, but besides the Simmons, I don't see it winning any other big categories. Either Birdman/TGBH will win most of them.

jtb

Banned
The last time I was this ambivalent about the oscar best picture slate was the year the Artist won. weak, dull year.

I hope Boyhood wins.

Man, the Boyhood backlash has been kind of strange to me. It definitely feels like it didn't get as much hate when was pre-award season.

It's one thing to say it wasn't your type of movie (and I can definitely see how a lot of people wouldn't like it based on that), but it certainly wasn't trash.

I don't even think it deserves Best Picture (although it certainly does over American Sniper imo).

Toothless

My Who Will Win/Who Should Win (possible upsets in parenthesis):

Best Picture: Boyhood/Boyhood (Birdman)
Best Director: Richard Linklater, Boyhood/Richard Linklater, Boyhood (Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu, Birdman)
Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything/Michael Keaton, Birdman
Best Actress: Julianne Moore, Still Alice/Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons, Whiplash/J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood/Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Best Adapted Screenplay: Whiplash/Whiplash (The Imitation Game)
Best Original Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel/The Grand Budapest Hotel (Birdman)
Best Cinematography: The Grand Budapest Hotel/The Grand Budapest Hotel (Birdman)
Best Costume Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel/The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Film Editing: Boyhood/Whiplash
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Foxcatcher/Guardians of the Galaxy (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Best Original Score: Johann Johannsson, The Theory of Everything/Alexandre Desplat, The Grand Budapest Hotel OR Hans Zimmer, Interstellar
Best Original Song: "Glory," Selma/ "Glory," Selma
Best Production Design: The Grand Budapest Hotel/The Grand Budapest Hotel
Best Sound Mixing: American Sniper/Interstellar
Best Sound Editing: American Sniper/Whiplash
Best Visual Effects: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Interstellar)
Best Animated Film: How to Train Your Dragon 2/How to Train Your Dragon 2
Best Foreign Film: Ida
Best Documentary Feature: Citizenfour
Best Documentary Short: Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Best Animated Short: Feast
Best Live Action Short: The Phone Call

These fucking websites all use Flash for their video player, which makes it impossible to watch on my PS4. Christ. Just fuck off, Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom