• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

It'd be funny if they brought Tekken 5.0 instead.

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

Maybe the idea is to stick with one version for the American tour so if you do get to have a little experience playing the knowledge/experience for that version will carry over from tournament to tournament? IDK the entire tour for a game that isn't out makes no sense.

The game really should have been updated by now. I understand wanting to offer the players a stable version to learn on, but they will eventually have to play vs Asia in the most current version at the global championship and it would be super unfair to have them face the best players in the world on a version of the game they've never played before.

Yeah, that's true. Another explanation is they do not want to localize the English version of FR they use. Which is also crazy because I don't know why you wouldn't have done that work for Master Raven and Bob before they were actually out so they'd be ready.

Sayah

Maybe the PC version will have a slider that can increase the amount of sparks?

It'll probably be feasible on PC. I am no technical expert but my thought, though, is that there might be framerate issues if sparks are increased because the alpha/vanilla launches had multiple areas of slowdown.

AllenShrz

It'll probably be feasible on PC. I am no technical expert but my thought, though, is that there might be framerate issues if sparks are increased because the alpha/vanilla launches had multiple areas of slowdown.

There were distracting when actually playing the game, I'm glad they are gone.

sasuke_91

The game really should have been updated by now. I understand wanting to offer the players a stable version to learn on, but they will eventually have to play vs Asia in the most current version at the global championship and it would be super unfair to have them face the best players in the world on a version of the game they've never played before.

Or, you know, having to face the best players in the world in a game they don't have access to :p
Nah, I'm beating a dead horse right now, but the wait has been cruel this time. We're halfway through the generation, got another iteration of this gen's console and still no Tekken game on the PS4.
I'm just afraid people will have already forgotten about the game by the time it comes out.

I miss the sparks.

They were a little too much imo.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Good news everyone. I'll be moving to a place that has Verizon FIOS. Goodbye Time Warner Cable. I'll never miss you.

This whole post is making me feel disgusted. WTF with the hideous customs and the trivialization of Anna's awesome personality. You're just squealing like the little piggy you are.

Lol.

What IS this personality of hers you're imagining in your oddly passive-agressive way?

GrayFoxPL

He means her generic femme fatale black widow personality.

Honestly if you can Katarina generic, the ENTIRE CAST IS MADE OF GENERIC ARCHETYPES. every single one of them.

This is very true, but I do think Kazuya edges out a little bit above the rest with the "original hero" into "antihero" transformation. The psychopathic family relations, being overtaken by the devil then taking control of that devil. The whole dying thing, resurrection and 20 years of waiting. His respect to Jinpachi, strange relations with Jun.
It's still isn't clear how much Kazuya is left in Kazuya and how much Devil actually changed within his character.

It's not much, maybe mediocre anime material, but it's still counts as something for me. So I like the whole Kaz thing. :)

But generally yeah - paper thin characters, especially since T5 and up.

T2, T3, T4 had actually pretty nice or at least interesting story arcs that put that little bit of "character into characters". Later just went deep into gutter, lol.

This is very true, but I do think Kazuya edges out a little bit above the rest with the "original hero" into "antihero" transformation. The psychopathic family relations, being overtaken by the devil then taking control of that devil. The whole dying thing, resurrection and 20 years of waiting. His respect to Jinpachi, strange relations with Jun.
It's still isn't clear how much Kazuya is left in Kazuya and how much Devil actually changed within his character.

It's not much, maybe mediocre anime material, but it's still counts as something for me. So I like the whole Kaz thing. :)

But generally yeah - paper thin characters, especially since T5 and up.

T2, T3, T4 had actually pretty nice or at least interesting story arcs that put that little bit of "character into characters". Later just went deep into gutter, lol.

I saw this a lot back when I used to be at Tekken nation...I guess things are more interesting when you had the bare minimum of details and such.

Kaz is unique imo simply because they always tease him going "Good" then ended up straight evil every time.

Haha, I love that line. Anna's got them on their knees like a dog, is sitting on their back and laughing while spanking the opponent. What a generic personality!! /s

Its ok to like the character but come on if you think her character isn't a well worn trope by this point... >_>

Spuck-uk

Banned
If it's such a trope, find me examples of other female characters like her in gaming.

She's a standard archetype (Femme Fatale) that goes way beyond gaming, and is way older, but to satisfy the question..

'Catherine', from Catherine.

Ada Wong from Resident Evil (excepting her first appearance)

Elizabeth in Bioshock: Burial at Sea

Maggie in the original deus Ex

Nevan in Devil May Cry 3

There's more, but hopefully you get the idea.

She's a standard archetype (Femme Fatale) that goes way beyond gaming, and is way older, but to satisfy the question..

'Catherine', from Catherine.

Ada Wong from Resident Evil (excepting her first appearance)

Elizabeth in Bioshock: Burial at Sea

Maggie in the original deus Ex

Nevan in Devil May Cry 3

There's more, but hopefully you get the idea.

Eva in MGS3 plays with said trope.

Trish in Devil May Cry

Jessica in RE: Revelations

Morrigan in Darkstalkers

Milenna in Mortal Kombat wants to be this.

Like Spuck said, its a trope that exists well beyond gaming.

Edit:

Adding one major one

Bayonetta in.....Bayonetta

Rheon

Yeah I love Anna but her and Nina pretty generic. They're different sides of the Femme Fatale trope; Anna is the more overtly sexual/playful side and Nina is the more subtly sexual/serious side.

Tekken (and fighting game) characters are basically barely fleshed-out tropes because developers know most people don't play fighting games for compelling, well thought-out characters (Bamco especially seem to be enforcing this based on the new characters we've got from BR onwards...).

Rajang

Yeah I love Anna but her and Nina pretty generic. They're different sides of the Femme Fatale trope; Anna is the more overtly sexual/playful side and Nina is the more subtly sexual/serious side.

Yep and the whole Nina vs Anna rivarly was always whack to me.

sasuke_91

Most of the current rivalries are wack because they never develop. Ever. Ever Ever....

Remember that T5 intro with Hwoarang and Steve fighting? Would love to have a three-way rivalry between Hwo/Steve and Jin. But no, Jin has to save the world... by destroying it. That's some Code Geass bullshit right there (I love Code Geass though).

Remember that T5 intro with Hwoarang and Steve fighting? Would love to have a three-way rivalry between Hwo/Steve and Jin. But no, Jin has to save the world... by destroying it. That's some Code Geass bullshit right there (I love Code Geass though).

I mean its a intro.....An Anime Esque intro at that. You know how anime intros are at times. "X and Y are fighting? Can't wa-oh that doesn't happen?"

Sayah

These people here comparing the likes of Ada Wong, Trish, Morrigan, and Mileena to Anna. lmao.

Bayonettas maybe the closest and that's about as close as it gets.

Nah, they're the same. Femme Fatale trope is older than dirt. There were cavemen telling stories around the camp fire of Anna like cavewomen.

It's ok, I love Catwoman, but it's not unique.

Sayah

Nah, they're the same. Femme Fatale trope is older than dirt. There were cavemen telling stories around the camp fire of Anna like cavewomen.

It's ok, I love Catwoman, but it's not unique.
Nope. Mostly none of those characters are even as close to being as over the top as Anna. As I said, Bayonettas maybe the only one that's comparable.

Femme fatale can't be used to describe the multitude of personalities being listed here. Even Bayonetta with some of her motherly characteristics doesn't align completely with the femme fatale label.

Nope. Mostly none of those characters are even as close to being as over the top as Anna. As I said, Bayonettas maybe the only one that's comparable.

Femme fatale can't be used to describe the multitude of personalities being listed here. Even Bayonetta with some of her motherly characteristics doesn't align completely with the femme fatale label.

I mean I think we all knew you were gonna be anal about this just to prove a point every one agreed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom