• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

Klosshufvud

W7v5g9H.jpg

This is my face in ranked every time

Reina is the diet coke of the Mishimas. One calorie, not enough evil.

P.S. I hope no one realizes how good Law is.
I have only played Law so far, since I am familiar with the Tekken 2 move set. I'm just a newb. My psplus expired so I don't even play now. Too many existing good games that don't required paying tithe to Sony just for matchmaking.

I have only played Law so far, since I am familiar with the Tekken 2 move set. I'm just a newb. My psplus expired so I don't even play now. Too many existing good games that don't required paying tithe to Sony just for matchmaking.
Too bad you are stuck in a console ecosystem as online is free on PC.

Too bad you are stuck in a console ecosystem as online is free on PC.
I'm not "stuck". I have a disc that I can sell or trade. This is the primary reason I choose console despite having a great gaming PC. I am never again paying full price for digital games after wasting $100 on Baldurs Gate.

I'm not "stuck". I have a disc that I can sell or trade. This is the primary reason I choose console despite having a great gaming PC. I am never again paying full price for digital games after wasting $100 on Baldurs Gate.
I don't know about you, but I only purchase games that I intend to replay and have no intention of parting with. I can preview, demo, or rent the rest.

Crayon

I just noticed something about the customization options. They don't look as shitty. In 7, even a t-shirt looked like a garbage bag with shoulder pads.

The stuff is more toned down in design and there seems to be less of it. The clothes actually fit and have good textures. They look way better, if not up to the standard of the base costumes.

Crayon

The video of ltg trying to cope is an instant classic. Are 20 min the sad clown face was so good I watched it again in the morning.

Youtube mod videos being copyright claimed causing channels to be suspended:

Also, another Tekken Talk tomorrow with Eddy release info and more:

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Youtube mod videos being copyright claimed causing channels to be suspended:

Also, another Tekken Talk tomorrow with Eddy release info and more:

This sucks because modders are going all out on Tekken 8. They are doing so much better job than Bamco who can only half ass port some upscaled old costumes. Modders got Bamco humiliated in that regard.

NT80

This sucks because modders are going all out on Tekken 8. They are doing so much better job than Bamco who can only half ass port some upscaled old costumes. Modders got Bamco humiliated in that regard.
Is it the mods that are getting banned or just the videos showing them?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I reached Tekken Emperor but now I'm taking a break until I see a huge balance patch for this game.

It's like most people are focused on protecting their current rank more than anything else.

Win a match? The leave.
Lose a match? They leave
Win the first match and then lose the second match? They leave.
Tons of Dragnov players in higher ranks and he's broken.

I saved all the clips of people rage quitting against me and it's around 25. This doesn't count all the times when people just disconnected before the match started.

Mr.Phoenix

I reached Tekken Emperor but now I'm taking a break until I see a huge balance patch for this game.

It's like most people are focused on protecting their current rank more than anything else.

Win a match? The leave.
Lose a match? They leave
Win the first match and then lose the second match? They leave.
Tons of Dragnov players in higher ranks and he's broken.

I saved all the clips of people rage quitting against me and it's around 25. This doesn't count all the times when people just disconnected before the match started.
Yup... dragnov is broken as fuck.

In fact, a lot of frametrap-type moves with pushback on block are broken in the game from a good number of characters. I am at flame ruler and I found out that most people just spam frametraps. Its annoying cause all you can do to break the loop is a power crush. Which obviously will cost you some health.

But there is nothing more annoying than going yup against some players who disconnects (refuse to call it rage quitting) when they see I am about to win my third round.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yup... dragnov is broken as fuck.

In fact, a lot of frametrap-type moves with pushback on block are broken in the game from a good number of characters. I am at flame ruler and I found out that most people just spam frametraps. Its annoying cause all you can do to break the loop is a power crush. Which obviously will cost you some health.

But there is nothing more annoying than going yup against some players who disconnects (refuse to call it rage quitting) when they see I am about to win my third round.

Tekken Talk is tomorrow and hopefully, they have a big patch planned within the next few weeks before EVO Japan. They don't want Azucena and Dragunov flooding the EVO tournaments.

I'm not expecting major changes to Heat anytime soon, but it needs to be fixed. Giving players the option to use Rage Art and Heat Smash during every round is insane.

Crayon

Sorry wifi bros. :messenger_persevering: I have hardly had any matches that didn't have big nasty hitches.

Anyway. I'm still having a good time but not the proper riot I did with guilty gear. I think more than it is the game, it's the amount of time I have to play. When gg came out, things were quiet at work. This came out in the middle of a shit storm. The end is in sight. One more week of this shit.

I gotta say the prominence of meter in this game is a drag. This game would be super hot with none. It's always distracting and a lot of times just stupid.

It's still Tekken though. It just feels a bit like me and my pick have been thrown into thunderdome with rapist alligator pits and dynamite stuck up our ass.

So much armor too...

I'm complaining. I just played a few sets and had tons of fun.

I still enjoy the game, flame ruler atm.
But I really dislike the heat mechanic. You just need press an button for a move that fast-safe- does fuck ton of damages.

And I hate high power crush moves too, most of them can gain access to heat so easy, can't punish when blocked , does a lot of dmg. Fuck Victor power crush.
Tekken 8 lost the beauty of back and forth combat... people just spam frametrap.

I don't hate when people doesn't rematch . The game gives them the choice so to me it's really not a big deal.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I am really disappointed in all the shameless greedy monetization going on. They sold a game, part unfinished, for $70. Then they immediately advertised DLC characters requiring additional costs. Then they ignored customization in favor of Tekken shop and now they're adding idiotic battle pass. All while still not resolving some key issues with the game. I really enjoy the game and I feel I'm getting decent at it. But Bamco's shortsighted greed makes it hard to be an actual fan of the game. What's even more disgraceful is all the top streamers covering for Bamco. Saying how these added costs are necessary for balancing. Because a $70 purchase is already not enough to get a semi balanced, semi well coded game? I think the whole situation is just bad.

NT80

I am really disappointed in all the shameless greedy monetization going on. They sold a game, part unfinished, for $70. Then they immediately advertised DLC characters requiring additional costs. Then they ignored customization in favor of Tekken shop and now they're adding idiotic battle pass. All while still not resolving some key issues with the game. I really enjoy the game and I feel I'm getting decent at it. But Bamco's shortsighted greed makes it hard to be an actual fan of the game. What's even more disgraceful is all the top streamers covering for Bamco. Saying how these added costs are necessary for balancing. Because a $70 purchase is already not enough to get a semi balanced, semi well coded game? I think the whole situation is just bad.
The game has more content than any previous Tekken so I wouldn't say it was unfinished. Some of the issues with the game and customization could've been resolved with an arcade release like previous games where they fixed the game up and added custom items. I would've preferred it to have had around 6-8 months in the arcade first but people would've bitched and cried and maybe that's no longer feasible. Tekken 6 and 7 spent 2 years in the arcade getting updated before console and were abysmal on first arcade release. They also had a Tekken shop but it was the arcade players funding it.

Klosshufvud

The game has more content than any previous Tekken so I wouldn't say it was unfinished. Some of the issues with the game and customization could've been resolved with an arcade release like previous games where they fixed the game up and added custom items. I would've preferred it to have had around 6-8 months in the arcade first but people would've bitched and cried and maybe that's no longer feasible. Tekken 6 and 7 spent 2 years in the arcade getting updated before console and were abysmal on first arcade release. They also had a Tekken shop but it was the arcade players funding it.
I disagree it has the most content. Tekken 5, Tekken 6, TTT2 and certainly T5DR had more content. T5DR also came with THREE other Tekken games for free. They just included those games as a bonus. That's not something you're likely to see today. Devs offering whole games for free. It's certainly a good point that older Tekken games had extended arcade runs which allowed Bamco to make the console versions better. The fact that T8 is not as sharp on release as older Tekken games should have prompted Bamco to ease up a little bit on the monetization IMO. It just leaves a bad taste when they dedicate so much time and energy putting up these extra means of monetization when more basic issues need to be fixed. I think it's disrespectful going about it like that.

Crayon

I've been positive in the face of the criticism but there's something I can't get away from. The more power crushes I do, the better. If I do 3 in a round, I feel like a dip shit but i could probably do 10 and I'd be winning more.

I don't mind the character balance. It has no effect at my level. I don't experience plugging. The shop's not going to bug me.

But why can't I sidestep? Why do I have to plan to eat power crushes? Why can't you even punish a rage art with another rage art?

Because derp derp aggressive? I don't feel like playing right now. I don't hate the game but I got some other stuff I want to get into. I put off final fantasy for this and I have had a really good time. But it's getting tiresome and it's disheartening to think this is how they want the game. I don't think it's wise for me to sit here wishing they change enough of that core concept.

And pretty soon that he's going to come out. And here I am worrying already that he's going to be a busted mess.

I don't know. I think I'm just going to take this weekend to enjoy something else and see how I'm feeling by the next.

NT80

I disagree it has the most content. Tekken 5, Tekken 6, TTT2 and certainly T5DR had more content. T5DR also came with THREE other Tekken games for free. They just included those games as a bonus. That's not something you're likely to see today. Devs offering whole games for free. It's certainly a good point that older Tekken games had extended arcade runs which allowed Bamco to make the console versions better. The fact that T8 is not as sharp on release as older Tekken games should have prompted Bamco to ease up a little bit on the monetization IMO. It just leaves a bad taste when they dedicate so much time and energy putting up these extra means of monetization when more basic issues need to be fixed. I think it's disrespectful going about it like that.
None of those games had more content than T8 especially not TTT2. T5 had the basic arcade versions of T1-3 but that's not new content and while it's nice to have beyond the novelty factor there not something I'd bother with much if I'm already playing the superior T5. T8 has much more story content than any previous game, arcade quest, the most human like AI I've seen in it's ghost mode, Tekken ball and an amazing replay feature. More free stuff will be added over time too. We don't know that not having any monetization would make any difference with fixing issues. They weren't the quickest with T7 and I expect different teams are working on different aspects of the game. The team making customizations won't have the expertise to help with online/balancing etc.

NT80

You have never played Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 have you? The AI is mid at best. Tekken 5 and 6 had better AI.
I played all of those games and tried to use their AI for preparation for tournaments back in the day and they were nowhere near the level of T8's ghost AI. I especially played a lot of VF4 Evo which was hailed as the best at the time but it's highly robotic and never employed advancement movement or wakeup pressure. T8's ghosts vary a lot depending on whose you download but the best ones are as close to human as I've seen in a fighter. It helps a lot that it's online based now and can continue to improve with more data.

I played all of those games and tried to use their AI for preparation for tournaments back in the day and they were nowhere near the level of T8's ghost AI. I especially played a lot of VF4 Evo which was hailed as the best at the time but it's highly robotic and never employed advancement movement or wakeup pressure. T8's ghosts vary a lot depending on whose you download but the best ones are as close to human as I've seen in a fighter. It helps a lot that it's online based now and can continue to improve with more data.
I have fought many of those top ranked AIs and they are no challenge for characters I even barely play. I would probably get curb stomped using those characters in a player match with actual players on the other hand. I did not play too much of Evolution, but Virtua Fighter 4/5 (vanilla) AI kicked my ass while I was playing my mains and Tekken 5/6 at least offered a decent challenge.

Last edited:

NT80

I have fought many of those top ranked AIs and they are no challenge for characters I even barely play. I would probably get curb stomped using those characters in a player match with actual players on the other hand. I did not play too much of Evolution, but Virtua Fighter 4/5 (vanilla) AI kicked my ass while I was playing my mains and Tekken 5/6 at least offered a decent challenge.
I've played them all extensively and those other games AI's are nowhere near as realistic as T8s. They don't think outside the box, play no mind games, use no advanced movement, apply oki, change up their timing etc etc. There's also far less variation in playstyle and some cheating involved. Hard AI due to reading your inputs and having instant reactions is not realistic. T8s online ghosts vary a lot in quality due to the amount of data required and number of cheaters but the actual good ones while not perfect are impressive. I actually think Namco's best AI before T8 was Soul Calibur 5s hardest CPU setting rather than Tekken 5 or 6.

splattered

I haven't played Tekken in a long time now... not since the 360 titles probably? And whatever ones were on the PSP/Vita. I bought 7 and all the DLC and never booted it up once haha.

But last night my son got me to play Jojo fighting game with him (yuck) and then i asked if he wanted to try Tekken, so we booted up #8... and holy CRAP did we have a good time.

He kept picking Kuma and Panda and laughing uncontrollably as he was launching me into the air and beating me with robot salmon.

Good times.

I've played them all extensively and those other games AI's are nowhere near as realistic as T8s. They don't think outside the box, play no mind games, use no advanced movement, apply oki, change up their timing etc etc. There's also far less variation in playstyle and some cheating involved. Hard AI due to reading your inputs and having instant reactions is not realistic. T8s online ghosts vary a lot in quality due to the amount of data required and number of cheaters but the actual good ones while not perfect are impressive. I actually think Namco's best AI before T8 was Soul Calibur 5s hardest CPU setting rather than Tekken 5 or 6.
AI is the box and they are hardly realistic if I can simultaneously beat them at their best and actively participate in a conversation simultaneously. I can't do that when I play player match or even play against higher ranked AI in Tekken 5/6. I also do not know how much Virtua Fighter you have played, but Destroyer rank AI Vanessa's, Jacky's, Aoi's, and Akira's movement, mix ups, and punishment in Virtua Fighter 4/5 are in another dimension compared to what even the best AI in Tekken 8 can do.

P.S. As a fan of the Soul Calibur Trilogy and Soul Edge, I loathe the fifth experiment with a passion. Please do not bring it up again or I may feel compelled to trash it.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

None of those games had more content than T8 especially not TTT2. T5 had the basic arcade versions of T1-3 but that's not new content and while it's nice to have beyond the novelty factor there not something I'd bother with much if I'm already playing the superior T5. T8 has much more story content than any previous game, arcade quest, the most human like AI I've seen in it's ghost mode, Tekken ball and an amazing replay feature. More free stuff will be added over time too. We don't know that not having any monetization would make any difference with fixing issues. They weren't the quickest with T7 and I expect different teams are working on different aspects of the game. The team making customizations won't have the expertise to help with online/balancing etc.
Tekken 5 also had Devil Within, better customization, larger roster, team battles, survival mode, proper arcade mode and better character story modes than T8. And then you also got the older Tekken games with it which was a big deal for me because I loved being able to play some T3/T2 with bros after a session of T5. Going away from Tekken, we also have other online games that offer gameplay-specific characters for free. I have no idea how fighting games get away with selling such a large portion of the roster as paid DLC. Surely that would not be acceptable in any other genre.

NT80

Tekken 5 also had Devil Within, better customization, larger roster, team battles, survival mode, proper arcade mode and better character story modes than T8. And then you also got the older Tekken games with it which was a big deal for me because I loved being able to play some T3/T2 with bros after a session of T5. Going away from Tekken, we also have other online games that offer gameplay-specific characters for free. I have no idea how fighting games get away with selling such a large portion of the roster as paid DLC. Surely that would not be acceptable in any other genre.
T5 had less characters, Devil Within was trash and the customization was way more limited. Never ending Survival mode with nothing to win against a dumb cpu always seemed pointless to me. T8s character episodes are at least as good as T5s and it has the big main story mode too. Personally I'm not bothered about having the inferior old games included especially given how easy it is to emulate them and you can get the superior console versions. T6's scenario campaign was far better than Devil Within and had it had the best customization of the series but it spent years in the arcade gradually building that up being funded by arcade players. If a new Tekken comes out with a massive cast I don't have a problem with them adding more as DLC over time. There not releasing a brand new full price game every few years like before. SFV on the other hand launched with a measly 16 and ended up with over 40.

The shills should chill... critizizing the obvious content cuts for microtransactions and out of "laziness"/greed is legitimate and necessary. Bamco bumbled out a (highly polished and in the beginning - up until the first patches - nicely playable) money grubbing turd.

Will the Eddy-update bring a motherloving exit button to the main menu? We will see...

NT80

AI is the box and they are hardly realistic if I can simultaneously beat them at their best and actively participate in a conversation simultaneously. I can't do that when I play player match or even play against higher ranked AI in Tekken 5/6. I also do not know how much Virtua Fighter you have played, but Destroyer rank AI Vanessa's, Jacky's, Aoi's, and Akira's movement, mix ups, and punishment in Virtua Fighter 4/5 are in another dimension compared to what even the best AI in Tekken 8 can do.

P.S. As a fan of the Soul Calibur Trilogy and Soul Edge, I loathe the fifth experiment with a passion. Please do not bring it up again or I may feel compelled to trash it.
It's not about beating them it's about how much they can prepare you for playing a real human and how much they can mimic real playstyles. SF6's AI on hardest difficulty is really hard to beat but if it's cheating and doing unrealistic things that's not helping you. I played the VF's highest rank AIs and they are robotic, mechanical and limited. They don't do advanced movement, they don't have really different playstyles and in specific situations they always do the same thing regardless of the AI your up against. I remember the VF5FS ones straight up cheating which is useless. T8s isn't perfect and there some holes/dificiencies but it does things I've never seen before like alter a combo when a wall is close by into a wall combo into wakeup pressure or mixup what they do on frame advantage or advanced movement like backdash cancelling, wavedash or crouch dash bait cancels.

NT80

The shills should chill... critizizing the obvious content cuts for microtransactions and out of "laziness"/greed is legitimate and necessary. Bamco bumbled out a (highly polished and in the beginning - up until the first patches - nicely playable) money grubbing turd.

Will the Eddy-update bring a motherloving exit button to the main menu? We will see...
Whose shilling? I don't even like the core gameplay (far too much scrub friendly nonsense) but as a package it's got more in it and better practice features than any other fighter released recently.

So the friggin' Season Pass for Bamco-Games is now the absolute bare minimum and everything else will be MTX-monetized? Goddammit, I hate this so much. Items that were free in games before are now behind paywalls.

Well, at least they got the programming-geniuses to put the exit button on the main menu. Eureka!

It's not about beating them it's about how much they can prepare you for playing a real human and how much they can mimic real playstyles. SF6's AI on hardest difficulty is really hard to beat but if it's cheating and doing unrealistic things that's not helping you. I played the VF's highest rank AIs and they are robotic, mechanical and limited. They don't do advanced movement, they don't have really different playstyles and in specific situations they always do the same thing regardless of the AI your up against. I remember the VF5FS ones straight up cheating which is useless. T8s isn't perfect and there some holes/dificiencies but it does things I've never seen before like alter a combo when a wall is close by into a wall combo into wakeup pressure or mixup what they do on frame advantage or advanced movement like backdash cancelling, wavedash or crouch dash bait cancels.
Final Showdown and Ultimate Showdown AI is serviceable at best. If that is your point of reference then you have no idea what Virtua Fighter 4/5 (vanilla) AI is at the top levels... Tekken 8 AI is crap for preparing for matches because they are exclusively trained in shitty mirror matches. They are incapable of reacting to other opponents in a meaningful way.

So the friggin' Season Pass for Bamco-Games is now the absolute bare minimum and everything else will be MTX-monetized? Goddammit, I hate this so much. Items that were free in games before are now behind paywalls.

Well, at least they got the programming-geniuses to put the exit button on the main menu. Eureka!
They can keep that exit button if it means that I do not not have to be greeted by Killmongerer's ugly mug when I boot the game as ALT+F4 is still my prefered method. I am going to wait until that ugly mug is removed before I play the game again. Shame I can't downgrade easily. I am going back to Tekken 6/Tag 2 for now.

Top Bottom