• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

Tekken's been consistently one of the better-animated fighters, though I can understand if the art style and character design isn't to people's taste. VF is a pretty solid game aesthetically, though before I put time into the game I had assumed its minimalist flair for blandness. DOA games are pretty aggressively bad about their animation quality (almost on par with NRS games) but I guess that's not their draw.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Tekken is just 3D KOF: the complex movement, tough execution, and devoted international fanbase. It even sold poorly despite being the best game in the genre for this generation.

#BUFFLARS and #BUFFKARATE, obviously.

Skilletor

Tekken's been consistently one of the better-animated fighters, though I can understand if the art style and character design isn't to people's taste. VF is a pretty solid game aesthetically, though before I put time into the game I had assumed its minimalist flair for blandness. DOA games are pretty aggressively bad about their animation quality (almost on par with NRS games) but I guess that's not their draw.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Tekken is just 3D KOF: the complex movement, tough execution, and devoted international fanbase. It even sold poorly despite being the best game in the genre for this generation.

I think it has the 2nd best animation in a fighter (next to SC). Tekken is so filled with animations that date back to T2 and the new shit looks so much better, the game ends up looking weird to me. The new characters all look leaps and bounds better than older characters, new moves have the same effect. It ends up being extremely uneven.

Comparing DoA's animation to NRS games is just...weird to me. But different strokes.

D3VI0US

I have loved the Tekken series since the PSone but the series has been mediocre since 4 and will never see those type of mainstream sales again.

SF and Marvel do well because of iconic characters and they are games the whole fighting game community gets behind.

All those great features you talk about aren't really that great and certainly wouldn't sell someone on the game who isn't already interested. I dunno what they can do to make Tekken relevant again but they gotta do something.

Is Tekken Vs SF still happening?

vio

Tekken needs makeover. I like the character design and environments but everything else is bad. Lighting is awful, everything is too colorful, bloom everywhere. They need to fix lighting and their shaders.

Good 3D assets badly rendered.

Korigama

Those are easily the two hardest fighters this gen in terms of execution.
Though I would say that KoF XIII would be harder (though not impossible) for newer players to get into, I wouldn't attribute that to execution. If anything, I found SFIV far more stringent in that regard.

Should I find TTT2 for a good price down the line, I would like to see if I have any better luck in improving compared to how I usually fare. It'll just take more work than 2D fighters tend to for me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Though I would say that KoF XIII would be harder (though not impossible) for newer players to get into, I wouldn't attribute that to execution. If anything, I found SFIV far more stringent in that regard.

I don't know if I agree, but I will agree that SFIV is a huge pain in the ass in terms of execution. it gets wailed on from ST and 3S guys because of the DP shortcut and the huge reversal window, but SFIV really isn't beginner friendly. I played it for years and just sort of accepted things as they were, I wonder how things would've been if I picked up other fighters sooner.

Akira_83

Banned
is the wiiU version ok?

if so, ill pick it up

the OP's post is convincing and i did enjoy the hell out of TT1 on PS2 launch

Skilletor

I don't know if I agree, but I will agree that SFIV is a huge pain in the ass in terms of execution. it gets wailed on from ST and 3S guys because of the DP shortcut and the huge reversal window, but SFIV really isn't beginner friendly. I played it for years and just sort of accepted things as they were, I wonder how things would've been if I picked up other fighters sooner.

We jivin', you and me. People say that SF4 is "dumbed down," but there only thing that's really been dumbed down is inputs. Everything else is still pretty difficult. FADCs, Option Selects, throw escapes, slow throw escapes, vortexes, unblockables, etc. I don't really care for SF4, so I don't play it much, but when I do I'm overhwhelmed with system specific shit that I don't have an answer for because I'm not familiar with.

The game is only easy to get into in that it's easier to throw an uppercut than it's ever been.

As an aside, it's hilarious for me to see SF3 was hard as when it first came out people gave it shit because it was (and imo still is) the easiest SF to play. It has few links to speak of, extremely lenient input system, special to super to make up for execution errors should they occur, option selects on parries at high level make them negligible on any mind game.

Sayah

is the wiiU version ok?

if so, ill pick it up

the OP's post is convincing and i did enjoy the hell out of TT1 on PS2 launch

The Wii U version has more content than PS360 so yes.

Though, you'd have to check with somebody already owning the game to see how active the Wii U's TTT2 community is online.

Verendus

Banned
Loved this game. My favourite fighter at the moment. Namco should just make it exclusive again. More hype that way. May get better sales too. Are you listening Namco? Okay.

ec0ec0

Thats not a valid excuse because... ITS NOT TRUE!!! why? because nowadays we have the internet. This is a link to a video that anyone saying "its difficult" should have already seen: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpT4ejbGwk&feature=plpp
this is the video description: "Namco Bandai Games of America has partnered up with Level Up Your Game to produce a brand new introductory series for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 aimed at teaching new and returning players everything they need to hit the ground running when the game hits the week of September 10th worldwide"
So, thats only the first tutorial video and PLEASE, if you havent seen it, do it. Its only like 19 min and it should convince you to see the rest. Here you have all of them (a total of 6 tutorial, arround 2hours and 20 min in total): http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVYulCamEPqLIJXEn-RZ9oDeKMfPBammY
After that, here you have tutorials for individual characters (they have already done tutorials for 33 characters and they will be doing more): http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVYulCamEPqJaEfJPWqLtBI5pYE6GYypI
So... what is the excuse now?

Thanks for doing this OP because all you said its true. It would be a good idea to tell in the op where to go so people can learn how to play TTT2. Also, why didnt you say anything about how good the training mode of this game is compated to other fighters like, for example, sf4?

The Internet is why it's difficult. Intermediate play used to be trial, error and instinct. Now it's frame data sheets and repetitive practice. Newcomers hop on for casual play and get rocked. Worst of all, they may get rocked while spending most of their time in the air.

i was really tempted as i thought this entry was going to be a big deal and spice things up, but it still 'looks like tekken' to me. tekken has always been my least liked 3d fighter, even behind doa. if someone can convince me that (the core gameplay) of ttt2 is much different/better than previous iterations, i might consider picking it up. it's nice that namco went all out with features tho, which i wish they could've done with sc (my fave 3d fighter).

I like Tekken, but Tekken doesn't like me. It's a franchise I play for fun, but not seriously enough to be competitive (same for 3D fighters in general, unlike how I approach 2D fighters such as KoF XIII and P4A).

It's the other way around for me. 2D for fun, 3d for seriousesnesssesnesses

Sayah

i was really tempted as i thought this entry was going to be a big deal and spice things up, but it still 'looks like tekken' to me. tekken has always been my least liked 3d fighter, even behind doa. if someone can convince me that (the core gameplay) of ttt2 is much different/better than previous iterations, i might consider picking it up. it's nice that namco went all out with features tho, which i wish they could've done with sc (my fave 3d fighter).

The gameplay is the best Tekken has ever been with new features such as tag crashes, tag assaults, etc that change the dynamics of how the game is played. However, it's still very much Tekken which is concentrated on movement, spacing, poking and other things.

If you really want to know why so many of us love the gameplay and consider it to be some of the best gaming experience one can have, then you will have to get the game and start learning. Come to the OT and there will be people that are willing to do online practice with you and get you more familiarized with the Tekken world. Once you recognize and learn the mechanics, then it's hard not to love it.

Thats not a valid excuse because... ITS NOT TRUE!!! why? because nowadays we have the internet. This is a link to a video that anyone saying "its difficult" should have already seen: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpT4ejbGwk&feature=plpp
this is the video description: "Namco Bandai Games of America has partnered up with Level Up Your Game to produce a brand new introductory series for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 aimed at teaching new and returning players everything they need to hit the ground running when the game hits the week of September 10th worldwide"
So, thats only the first tutorial video and PLEASE, if you havent seen it, do it. Its only like 19 min and it should convince you to see the rest. Here you have all of them (a total of 6 tutorial, arround 2hours and 20 min in total): http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVYulCamEPqLIJXEn-RZ9oDeKMfPBammY
After that, here you have tutorials for individual characters (they have already done tutorials for 33 characters and they will be doing more): http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVYulCamEPqJaEfJPWqLtBI5pYE6GYypI
So... what is the excuse now?

Thanks for doing this OP because all you said its true. It would be a good idea to tell in the op where to go so people can learn how to play TTT2. Also, why didnt you say anything about how good the training mode of this game is compated to other fighters like, for example, sf4?

I probably should have listed why the training mode was excellent. And yeah, there are so many tutorials present now. If anyone even had a look at the Official TTT2 thread, they would get all the info they need.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490246

The Internet is why it's difficult. Intermediate play used to be trial, error and instinct. Now it's frame data sheets and repetitive practice. Newcomers hop on for casual play and get rocked. Worst of all, they may get rocked while spending most of their time in the air.

You can be a successful Tekken player without learning frame data. I do not know any frame data and I still do well against opponents.

It's not repetitive practice either. You have to spend your time wisely and usefully. If you learn that a certain character's moves are bothering you, you go to practice and learn how to counteract them and you do this every single time you find something that is bothersome. It's a new learning experience each time.

More importantly, there is always going to be something new you'll learn for your own character through trial and error. Sometimes, you might discover things that no one ever has (like new combos, for instance). The chances of that happening are even higher in TTT2 because there are so many possibilities to be creative and inventive.

DR2K

Banned
DOA games are pretty aggressively bad about their animation quality (almost on par with NRS games) but I guess that's not their d

Is this real life?

tumblr_mmnuodAmjG1sq2xoeo1_250.gif
tumblr_mmnuodAmjG1sq2xoeo4_250.gif
tumblr_ma953bKJi61rb06tgo5_250.gif

Don't get me wrong, DOA animations are not without blemishes or imperfections, but they are leagues above any NRS game any day of the week. I just think the animations in NRS games looks so stiff and robotic.

OP, are you saying we should have bought this game on principle? :p

lol, I bought it Day 1, was really surprised that it was $50 instead of the usual $60, a much appreciated bonus for buying Day 1. And yeah all the features are amazing, so much content.

is the final boss beat-able now after the patch? I stopped playing the game cuz could never get past her second form.

AAK

The game is $20 at EBgames Canada brand new (so it has the online pass) to anyone that's interested.

lol, I bought it Day 1, was really surprised that it was $50 instead of the usual $60, a much appreciated bonus for buying Day 1. And yeah all the features are amazing, so much content.

is the final boss beat-able now after the patch? I stopped playing the game cuz could never get past her second form.

They toned Jun down in the patch.

Sayah

Yeah, a lot of people had complained so they patched it and it's easier now.

Apenheul

I was in a store looking for another game, but then I saw TT2 and it reminded me of this thread so I bought it. So here's my little review based on a first impression:

Let me start by saying that I've played a Tekken game only two times before; I accidentally bought Tekken 5 (the store owner put it in the God of War case, but of course I returned it and got GoW) and the second occasion was a TT2 cabinet in some arcade in Tokyo which conveniently had the basic controls and moves printed on the cabinet but I wasn't given the chance to try a character out before the screen mentioned that someone had joined the game (after which I got pummeled). Needless to say, I couldn't get into it at the time as I was used to the more tricks & special moves types of fighters like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and SomethingVsCapcom. I was okay at Street Fighter 2 against casual players and I liked MVC2 because of the 'no matter what you do something cool will happen on screen' effect, but my first impression of Tekken was quite the opposite; no matter what I did, nothing cool would happen.

So fast forward to now (I got the Wii U copy because of the extras btw); TT2 immediately clicked with me. I feel that it stays close to the core of fighting games which is avoid getting hit and strike when it counts, the pace of the gameplay is such that I (as a casual fighting game player) stand a chance as long as my hand-eye coordination is good enough, I don't necessarily need to remember complicated control-sequences unless I want to improve my skill at using combo's, and best of all; the gameplay doesn't constantly pause (which seems to be the current trend with games that feature 'super moves').

Tekken also seems as deep as you want it to be. You can have a good time and be reasonably competitive playing it like it's a versus Punch-Out; just carefully watching and anticipating your opponents' moves and reacting accordingly. Or, when you've got the basics down, try to learn each character's individual pacing and combo opportunities. Yeah I think I could become a fan.

Skunkers

Is Tekken Vs SF still happening?

Hard to say. Officially it's basically been announced and nothing since then has came out and said it was cancelled. Unofficially both SFxT and TTT2 have had pretty disappointing sales, do it makes one wonder if it may get cancelled. For now, I'd say its still coming, but it won't be a huge surprise if they cancel it.

Cromat

I love Tekken, but unfortunately my 360 broke so I'm PC only.

I wish namco released their fighting games on PC like Capcom.

MechaX

Personally, I picked up TTT2 at launch despite having never touched a Tekken game (well, an old friend forced me to play T4 way back when, and that actually did a lot more harm than good). And the thing was, I did really like it. Hell, unlike some recent fighters, I actually found a lot of characters here that I really liked using. But there were just a few issues, none of which were really the fault of the game;

1) I was just at a point in my life where I did not have the time to sit down for hours at a time learning basic movement (this goes for most fighting games these days too). I watched all of the tutorials and what-not, but it indeed was pretty overwhelming.

2) It just seemed like I was eternally behind the curve when considering that such a sizable amount of the player base has been playing for 10+ years (with some characters being very similar along the course of the series). I don't mind losing, but getting absolutely bodied is demoralizing.

3) Arcade stick malfunction. I now have the funds necessary to get a new stick entirely, but I dunno.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime in the future.

SkylineRKR

Don't get me wrong, DOA animations are not without blemishes or imperfections, but they are leagues above any NRS game any day of the week. I just think the animations in NRS games looks so stiff and robotic.

I think DoA has the best animations in a 3D fighter. Its main draw for me aren't the tits (well..), but its use of dramatic angles and hard hits. Its the one fighter I also sort of enjoy in Watch Mode.

Tekken is very good with animations since the sixth game. But the newer characters obviously benefited somewhat more.

played this last night after a long hiatus. dear god i forgot how gorgeous this game is. I got lost in it for hours. the animations are top tier.

KDR_11k

I just don't like Tekken at all. The only part I kinda liked was Tekken Force in 6.

Also I don't like tag teaming in fighting games since that means having to pick two characters and knowing them both.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
For the casuals it's probably franchise fatigue. There's been a Tekken game every 2-4 years since the first one. Diminishing returns etc etc.

Tekken needs to go away for a few years and reinvent itself to get them to care.

Also how much did TTT2 sell?

DEATH™

For the casuals it's probably franchise fatigue. There's been a Tekken game every 2-4 years since the first one. Diminishing returns etc etc.

Tekken needs to go away for a few years and reinvent itself to get them to care.

Also how much did TTT2 sell?

Related to that, It's not only Tekken busting consistent amount of games regularly, but also since SF4 came out, everybody suddenly busts out bunch of FGs... from MK, DOA, KOF, Blazblue, and even the recent GG trying to ride the nostalgia factor. Profits are split, instead of people buying each game, some just buy one or two and get their FG fix there...

And TTT2 sold 1.5M copies which is short of 200k goal in only 8 months. TBH I'm not worried, every Tekken game proved to have long legs.

Though I will still encourage people to buy it, not because it's hard, but because it's one of the most fun fighting games out there. The ways you can play creatively in this game is insane. Even rivals Marvel to some degree...

Moofers

I think Tekken is need for a good'ol reboot. TTT2 is quite the amazing game but they need to step it up. Look at DOA5 for example. They really gave the game a fresh new look. I hope Namco can do the same with Tekken x Street Fighter. I think that game is going to be hot. And hopefully on next gen consoles.

Are you fucking serious? Joke post, right?

OP is spot on, and so is the guy who said shitty reviews by know-nothing assholes are partly to blame. Its the best fighting game of the generation and it gets no recognition for it. Its truly amazing all around.

Stellar soundtrack.
Great character roster.
Free costumes.
No paid DLC characters.
Great stages and remixes of old favorites.

It really deserved to do more than 1.5 mil. Its fantastic.

Top Bottom